Thread: Three Online Poker Sites Shut Down

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Three Online Poker Sites Shut Down

http://www.longislandpress.com/2011/...tes-shut-down/

Looks like I just lost a few 100 dollars doubt i will ever get my money back from full tilt

Default Re: Three Online Poker Sites Shut Down

I heard about this yesterday. A lot of people just lost a lot of money

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The local city council (not the feds) in DC are thinking about legalizing online gambling here. If so that means people could gamble online legally in the United States on websites based here. Making gambling illegal in any form is ridiculous in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The local city council (not the feds) in DC are thinking about legalizing online gambling here. If so that means people could gamble online legally in the United States on websites based here. Making gambling illegal in any form is ridiculous in my opinion, but that's neither here nor there.
    It is gonna become legal pretty soon. The owner of full tilt has been working on it for years. It seems pretty simple just tax it and it is a win win. 4 billions a year change hands on online gambling they are stupid for not just leagalizing it and making money off it.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    It is gonna become legal pretty soon. The owner of full tilt has been working on it for years. It seems pretty simple just tax it and it is a win win. 4 billions a year change hands on online gambling they are stupid for not just leagalizing it and making money off it.
    Not to get political but I'm not so sure I wouldn't prefer that the money that the type of people drawn to online gambling would spend on online gambling remain in their hands rather than going to taxes. Of course, I'd rather the money be saved/invested than spent on online gambling. If legalizing it increases the money wasted on gambling, I'm not sure I'd be behind it. The legalization of gambling is a sure-fire win for these online gambling sites. I'm not so sure it's a win for society at large. And this is without even considering the moral or ethical implications inherent.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rexnom For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by rexnom View Post
    Not to get political but I'm not so sure I wouldn't prefer that the money that the type of people drawn to online gambling would spend on online gambling remain in their hands rather than going to taxes. Of course, I'd rather the money be saved/invested than spent on online gambling. If legalizing it increases the money wasted on gambling, I'm not sure I'd be behind it. The legalization of gambling is a sure-fire win for these online gambling sites. I'm not so sure it's a win for society at large. And this is without even considering the moral or ethical implications inherent.
    The thing is there are gonna be more sites and there already is. It just seems stupid it is gonna happen reguardless I dont see why the govt. just doesnt take a cut and it will be fine. I did a speech on this in speech class.
    Last edited by pacer4ever; 04-17-2011 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    I did a speech on this in speech class.
    well that settles it then...

even though I mostly agree, if the sites keep getting shut down (and people keep losing a couple hundred a pop), they might think twice before going to the "next new site"...

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    well that settles it then...

even though I mostly agree, if the sites keep getting shut down (and people keep losing a couple hundred a pop), they might think twice before going to the "next new site"...
    I havent lost it per say there accounts are frozen and they say the money is safe. But im not to hopefully. My best bet is that they re-open and they un freeze the accounts.

The most probable outcome here is government licensed sites like pacer4ever said that are regulated and safe to use. PokerStars, Full Tilt, UB, etc. are done. They won't be able to come back from this. It will be interesting if some of the sites that "played by the rules" will get their piece back, though. Party Poker, iPoker, and some other sites that shut down US operations a while ago might be rewarded and allowed to go through a licensing process.

To me, this means online poker becomes more legit, safer to use, and easier to make a job out of. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another poker boom when the new rooms open up and things are legal.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by redfoster View Post
    The most probable outcome here is government licensed sites like pacer4ever said that are regulated and safe to use. PokerStars, Full Tilt, UB, etc. are done. They won't be able to come back from this. It will be interesting if some of the sites that "played by the rules" will get their piece back, though. Party Poker, iPoker, and some other sites that shut down US operations a while ago might be rewarded and allowed to go through a licensing process.

To me, this means online poker becomes more legit, safer to use, and easier to make a job out of. I wouldn't be surprised if there is another poker boom when the new rooms open up and things are legal.
    The thing about full tilt is it is still running. The only difference is you cant play real money if you live in the US. I feel for the guys who do play for a living online. Not the paid guys like Ivy ect. who get paid to play. But the up incoming players who had major money in thier accounts who lose all thier money.

I hope the last part is true.

You're still underrating how many new gamblers that new sites will generate. And legalization will create many, many more sites and many, many more gamblers. Taxed or not, I don't want those people's income to be spent on gambling. I want it spent on more long-term viable consumption goods, savings, and investment. Maybe a license for professional gamblers would be a nice solution.

Mood