Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

  1. #1
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,366
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    What a complete pain in the arse it is to reconstruct EVERYFRICKINGTHING. Major computer rash a couple weeks ago led to a whole new clone being built for me. Now I have to go in and reconstruct ALL sites /links/you name it I gotta do it. Worst is the loss of all my peeps email addies...gone. Yeah I got em on disk but I aint savvy enough to load them directly into Outlook Express. Which BTW says I have 84 unread messages that I can't see. I can see whatever came in post re-connect, but prior to that is invisible to me. GRRRRRrrrrrrrr


    I HATE THIS, I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a complete pain in the arse it is to reconstruct EVERYFRICKINGTHING. Major computer rash a couple weeks ago led to a whole new clone being built for me. Now I have to go in and reconstruct ALL sites /links/you name it I gotta do it. Worst is the loss of all my peeps email addies...gone. Yeah I got em on disk but I aint savvy enough to load them directly into Outlook Express. Which BTW says I have 84 unread messages that I can't see. I can see whatever came in post re-connect, but prior to that is invisible to me. GRRRRRrrrrrrrr


    I HATE THIS, I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT.

    A computer rash is a new one on me, if that's what you mean. However, I think you mean crash. If you were running Microsoft XP couldn't you just use the restore? That's what it's for. Or was it a hardwear crash?

  3. #3
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,366
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by Will
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What a complete pain in the arse it is to reconstruct EVERYFRICKINGTHING. Major computer rash a couple weeks ago led to a whole new clone being built for me. Now I have to go in and reconstruct ALL sites /links/you name it I gotta do it. Worst is the loss of all my peeps email addies...gone. Yeah I got em on disk but I aint savvy enough to load them directly into Outlook Express. Which BTW says I have 84 unread messages that I can't see. I can see whatever came in post re-connect, but prior to that is invisible to me. GRRRRRrrrrrrrr


    I HATE THIS, I HATE IT, HATE IT, HATE IT.

    A computer rash is a new one on me, if that's what you mean. However, I think you mean crash. If you were running Microsoft XP couldn't you just use the restore? That's what it's for. Or was it a hardwear crash?

    I was running W-98...I think it started as a virus attack but ended with my HD trashed and eventual mother board failure. Now how that can happen I don't know...but it appeared my system was deteriorating rapidly. My service tech (whom I know and trust for a long time) said he'd never seen anything like it before.

    He was convinced from the start that it was a Motherboard problem. But I don't recall seeing a motherboard degenerate over a couple of days.
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  4. #4
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    I have.

    There are also virii that attack your hardware, although I haven't seen them in a couple of years.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  5. #5
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    indygeezer wrote, Major computer rash a couple weeks ago led to a whole new clone being built for me. Now I have to go in and reconstruct ALL sites /links/you name it I gotta do it.

    Ok, why can't you just have the hard drive pulled from your old computer and piggy back it in your new computer. If it was set up as the master hard drive you wouldn't have to reconstruct anything. Even if it was the slave you would still have everything .


  6. #6
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,511

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    If your motherboard was the culprit why not just get a new motherboard and reuse everything else? Everything should be on your harddrive and Win98 will reconfigure for the new motherboard.

    BTW... I assume your friend checked the obvious but a couple of things that can happen and drive your bonkers if you don't check them:
    Power supply fan failing (going slow) or completely stopped. In either case your PS gets flakey and also can put too much heat into your computer case.

    CPU fan slows or dies. CPU will work OK for a bit (depending on heatsink and CPU but eventually will go crazy... lockup... errors...

    -----

    Also.. your PS could be failing even if the fan is OK. A power supply not able to supply the proper voltage will cause errors galore.

    -Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  7. #7
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If your motherboard was the culprit why not just get a new motherboard and reuse everything else? Everything should be on your harddrive and Win98 will reconfigure for the new motherboard.

    BTW... I assume your friend checked the obvious but a couple of things that can happen and drive your bonkers if you don't check them:
    Power supply fan failing (going slow) or completely stopped. In either case your PS gets flakey and also can put too much heat into your computer case.

    CPU fan slows or dies. CPU will work OK for a bit (depending on heatsink and CPU but eventually will go crazy... lockup... errors...

    -----

    Also.. your PS could be failing even if the fan is OK. A power supply not able to supply the proper voltage will cause errors galore.

    -Bball
    Funny. That's where I'm at on my home computer right now. I had a bit of a heat problem, not sure if it was enough to damage the CPU or not. Everything powers up OK, but it never boots. I think I've narrowed it down to motherboard, CPU, memory or power supply. :-( I think I'll try motherboard/CPU next. This is the downside of building your own computer. You are your own tech support.


    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  8. #8
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    The thing is, a new mobo/processor/fan is so stinking cheap these days, it's incredible.

    The benefit of building your own computer is swapping out any and all pieces whenever it suits you. I ran the "same" computer for close to 8 years... I don't think I ever upgraded more than one piece at a time.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  9. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,511

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    [ This is the downside of building your own computer. You are your own tech support.
    That's a downside?

    I thought all tech support ever did was talk you thru a list of things that were either already tried or not even connected to the problem and then at some point had you reinstall the operating system?

    -Bball



    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. #10
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing is, a new mobo/processor/fan is so stinking cheap these days, it's incredible.
    Yep. I found a processor/mobo combo that's only $100 and 150% the speed of the CPU I've got.


    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  11. #11
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    That's true on tech support. I've never found them to be very helpful and it always comes down to "reinstall windows".
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  12. #12
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The thing is, a new mobo/processor/fan is so stinking cheap these days, it's incredible.
    Yep. I found a processor/mobo combo that's only $100 and 150% the speed of the CPU I've got.
    Actually, if you don't mind staying away from Intel (stupid overpriced hardware company), you can do even better. I generally build on 2400-2800 AthlonXPs, with a decent all-in-one mobo (except graphics) and stock fan included for under $80.

    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  13. #13
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Current system is Athlon 2000. The $100 included a 2800. If you could post or PM the links and I'll take a look at them.

    I've got things working right now. Reseated pretty much every cable / board. Still didn't work. Disconnected the hard drives, CD, and floppy and got a "beep". Reconnected the hard drives and presto, got a boot. We'll see if it stays stable. I was somewhat suspecious of the CD drive. Perhaps it's just the 2nd IDE port that has the problem... Oh well... Y'all didn't want me to start work on RoboDoug just yet, did ya? :-)

    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  14. #14
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Sorry, it's a West Coast chain (Fry's Electronics). Pricewatch is showing Athlon XP 3200s starting at $130, though.

    Has anyone built with the new "Sempron" yet? It seems to be just a standard Athlon XP with a different wrapper.

    Your problem reminds me of one I had with an old GigaByte board I used on my parent's box... first the CD-RW started fritzing, so we replaced it. Then the printer port, so we got a USB printer. Then the USB port, so we got a cheap PCI hub. A couple of other things went wrong before we finally figured out it was the southbridge. Replaced the motherboard for <$100, and went from 1800+ to 2600+. Really, the most painful part of buying a new motherboard is replacing the RAM... you almost always have to buy new.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  15. #15
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Guess what? It's a GigaByte MB. I bought it 'cause I wanted to do hardware RAID, but that was far more trouble than it was worth and I ended up turning it off after a couple of months. The mirrored pair kept breaking for one reason or another.

    It's sooooooo temping to go up to the 64, but I'm afaird if I start down that path, I'm going to want a new video card. And a DVD-RW. And more RAM. And S-ATA hard drives. And oh, a flat panel display. And so on.

    Right now it's looking like my CPU is OK. I'm very tempted to go with the Shuttle barebones system instead of just getting the MB. I almost went that way to begin with. It's about $170 from NewEgg, but both my memory and CPU should transfer over OK.

    But, if the dang thing keeps working, I'm just going to limp along without a CD for a while. I'd rather not spend the money right now.l
    [edit=22=1096859295][/edit]
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  16. #16
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,748

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    I love my shuttle. It's NForce-based, so I actually didn't use a graphics card. The onboard graphics is a gForce4, and it'll take up to 128 megs. Does everything I need it to... like I said, I'm currently on Linux, I don't play first person shooters, so really the most graphics-intensive thing I do is play NeverWinter nights.

    If you can get an nForce-based shuttle, you're off to a great start.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  17. #17
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    This always why I preach backup, backup , backup !!!!!!

    2nd Hard Drives are a lifesaver , making cdr or dvd copies another lifesaver , I always backup all my browser bookmarks and everything every few days , same with email contacts and stuff and windows settings and so much more.

    I buy all my pc parts from http://www.newegg.com

    Soooooo much cheaper than the local shops even if there having sales , I saved over 300.00 on my last pc I built vs buying the parts local. I have made well over 200 purchases there and had 1 time a DOA motherboard , but they took care of it speedy and shipped me a new one next day air on there dime.

    I love building my own PC and have been doing it for almost 10 years and would never buy a premade PC again , I don't need tech support as I found most the time there about useless as a manual , that's if they speak english in the first place. I know my PC inside and out and I can always upgrade my PC ,unlike most premade's that's how they make there money by suckering you into a machine that will easily be outdated in 1-2 years.


    I feel sorry for people who don't do backups , but then again I don't because there are way to many affordable options for backup and it's very easy. Infact I reformat my hard drive every 6-12 months to keep my disk cleaned up , running a defrag program isn't enough to keep it optimal. I formatted on Tuesday and was back up and running at full speed with most everthing I had before , settings , drivers ..everything.

    Running SP2 now and it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be if you do a fresh install , after I got rid of the security center and windows firewall and patched the TCP connection limit I have been rocking trouble free since tuesday.

  18. #18
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,366
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    I'm looking at my new 'puter right now. It says AMD Athalon XP.

    BUT THE THING IS SO FREAKING LOUD I HAVE TO SHOUT TO BE HEARD.

    The tech said he installed 6 fans to keep it cooled down. He felt I may have had an overheating problem (now that you mention it it, he did say something about that).
    The people who built my last one, a local clone builder located on the southside, used a "very old style" motherboard and then added parts as they would fit. It was topped out when built and was going to cost as much to upgrade as to re-build, or so I'm told. All I know is, right now this thing works great and is super fast, for a pc tied to the net with a dial up. Cost...about $600.00 (including the windows XP).


    But I think I'm going to have him remove a couple fans...the kids missed our calling them yesterday because they couldn';t hear the phone. I can believe it.
    [edit=99=1096891591][/edit]
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

  19. #19
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    45
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, it's a West Coast chain (Fry's Electronics).
    I just discovered a Fry's Electronics in Chicagoland - how do those compare to the BestBuy's/ HH Gregg's/ Circuit City's of the world? Man, I miss Highland's and Fretter's.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  20. #20
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,051

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by indygeezer
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm looking at my new 'puter right now. It says AMD Athalon XP.
    That's exactly what I have.

    I've ordered my last two computers from Nutrend.com. I order what I want and they put it together for me. I suspose I could build one myself. I have the time, and I've upgraded my own computers before.

    This last one just started to get loud when I first turn it on. I think it's the hard drive, I'll have to pay more attention the next time I turn it on.

  21. #21
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    I dunno Have ran AMD's on Stock Fans before with no problems , but if you keep your house warm your gonna have heating issues more often than not ,I dunno what kinda issues you had that would make them think it was a heating problem and most modern pc's have it where they can shut down if the cpu get's too hot.

    I dunno why you would need 6 fans , I overclock and mod my PC case and all the works and I don't even have that many fans , infact til about 6 months ago I just ran a after market Cpu cooling fan and was able to overclock and still have a very cool cpu. Now since I got my new mod case I have 4 fans but I hardly notice the noise maybe it's the fans I bought but I rarely notice it , I could probably get away with running 2 fans easy.


    I dunno I don't trust other people building my pc's they usually throw cheap parts in so they can make a few extra $$$$ there is not alot of profit in selling hardware and building them is even worse cause you have people saying well I can get this for this much at dell , gateway etc , which is a PC that is about worthless for anything other than email and websurfing.


    Call me a stingy *** but I used to build pc's for family and friends and it turned into a almost full time job in tech support fixing there mistakes , so I pretty much just build my own pc's now.

    Really if you have 2 good fans , say 1 in the top of the case which they call a "blow hole" cause it sucks air out the top of the case , it's directly centered over the cpu area and one on the side sucking in room temp air to circulate and kewl then you should be fine. Most the time when you have heating issues it's due to high room temps , poor air circulation in your case , or you just need a better cpu fan which moves more air to kewl the cpu , which is about 20-30 bucks depending on what you get.

    Also I used rounded cables for my hard drives , cdroms etc , they help alot with air circulation , some users have reported it drops there temp case 5-10 degrees and that's a pretty good drop , I noticed about a 8 degree drop myself which I switched to rounded cables. Now they are a few dollars more expensive but it keeps the case all nice and neat and looking good , make sure you always tie up all those loose wires and slack ...just letting it hang around reduces air flow alot.


  22. #22
    Offical Thread Killer TheSauceMaster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    46
    Posts
    3,889
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthem
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry, it's a West Coast chain (Fry's Electronics).
    I just discovered a Fry's Electronics in Chicagoland - how do those compare to the BestBuy's/ HH Gregg's/ Circuit City's of the world? Man, I miss Highland's and Fretter's.
    Pretty sure that Fry's in Chi town was once a Incrediable Universe , Fry's bought alot of them when they went outta bussiness , I used to work at the Incrediable Universe in Indy over on 96th street.

    Fry's has been expanding off the west coast they used to be west coast only , Fry;s is pretty much the same as BestBuy/ HH Gregg/ Circuit City not much diffrence.


  23. #23
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got an Athlon AMD XP 3000+ that I have no use for. Want one?
    Yes. Is it the 333 FSB or 400 FSB? If it's the 400, I'll have to buy a new MB, but since I think my problem *is* the motherboard, I'll probably be doing that anyway.

    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  24. #24
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,632

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by btowncolt
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I've got an Athlon AMD XP 3000+ that I have no use for. Want one?
    Yes. Is it the 333 FSB or 400 FSB? If it's the 400, I'll have to buy a new MB, but since I think my problem *is* the motherboard, I'll probably be doing that anyway.
    Hmm, unknown. And it's up in Indy and I'm down here. In all honesty, I don't know if it even works (long story involving a stupid computer builder and too much thermal grease), and I would recommend not even taking it for free it. I didn't think anyone would actually want it, my bad.
    No problem.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  25. #25
    Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Cumberland
    Posts
    15,366
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: TOTALLY OT: Damn I hate rebuilding my system

    http://www.pcclub.com/product_detail...temno=A1313324


    I believe this is my case.
    [edit=99=1096907474][/edit]
    If you get to thinkiní youíre a person of some influence, try orderiní somebody elseís dog around..

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •