Thread: Bird to be on "The Herd" 4/15/2011 sometime during 11 o'clock hour

Default Bird to be on "The Herd" 4/15/2011 sometime during 11 o'clock hour

Bird will be on the Herd on ESPN radio.

Didn't say specifically what time. Just "sometime in the 11 o'clock hour"

I'll try to recap on here after its over.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Bird to be on "The Herd" 4/15/2011 sometime during 11 o'clock hour

Bird is coming up "next"

Pretty much standard fluff interview. One or two interesting things. Bolded the comment I thought was most interesting.

Q)How does preparing for playoffs in front office compare to preparing as a player?

A)Pretty much said there's a lot of prep both ways but obviously less control being in the front office than the players on the court.

Q)Pacers are a young team with virtually no playoff experience. What can they learn this year?

A)We're a really young team in rebuilding mode. Intensity will be an eye opener for young players but feels it will teach them a lot.

Q)How involved do you get with players to help them prepare for the playoffs?

A)Doesn't get real involved. May offer some tips if they ask. Hopes the guys get a feel for the intensity and come back better next year.

Q)What is a good example of the increased intensity?

A)More preparation by both teams due to time off between games. Being such a young team he's concerned about playing a team as hot as Chicago but it will be a great learning experience for the players. Thinks the players will get more experience in next week than they did all year.

Q)Whats the plan for rose?

A)Start calling for help right away. Rose has 30lbs on Collison so Darren will need help. Obviously Rose is hard to stop. Contain Rose as much as possible and focus on shutting down other guys.

Q)Who does rose remind him of?

A)When hitting jump shot, Rose is virtually impossible to stop. Rose is the total package. Can't let him get to rim and got to meet him out on the floor 4 or 5 feet beyond 3 point line.

Q)Do you find yourself having and interest in Celtics?

A)Yes he roots for them. He keeps up on them and likes to see them do well. If Pacers don't make it to second round he'll root for Celtics. Hopes they do well.

Q)82 games to view Miami. What is his reaction on building a team heavily around a few superstars?

A)Tough to do in a small market. Normally no funds to sign max players. Gotta do it differently. Miami got 3 good players but you can't build a complete team in one year. They need a couple more key pieces to be really good. They'll be a major force in future and probably win some championships.

Q)Thoughts on Kobe situation and greater access by fans to conversations on bench/in huddles?

A)Thank god access wasn't as good when he played or they'd of been fined every game. Feels bad when things like that happen but sometimes competition brings overflowing frustrations and players do the wrong thing.

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Phree Refill For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Bird's response to the kids learning more in the Playoffs then they have all year is in line with his overall mantra over the last 3 seasons of making a push for the Playoffs. Despite a likely quick 4 or 5 game Playoff series, he understands that it's important for the young Players to get a taste and feel of the Playoffs and how it should be part of their overall development.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

I was wondering if anyone else heard this (no pun intended). I found it telling how much emphasis he placed on the playoffs as a learning experience. The "these kids will learn more this next week than they have all season" really struck me, but I can't disagree. Another high 1st round pick really wouldn't have been what this team needed to progress. I've seen other posters compare this team to Chicago a couple years ago in terms of youth and a need to get our feet wet in the playoffs. I'd rather get these early exits out of the way during the development/rebuilding process rather than wait a few years and have a team ready to compete talent-wise but with no experience.

I really believe that not only making the playoffs, but playing this Chicago team is the best possible scenario for this team.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eddie Gill For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Bird said that after his first run in the playoffs he knew he needed to get better in order to bring success to Boston. And that starts in the summer. He hopes players will have the same experience.

What is his reaction on building a team heavily around a few superstars?

A)Tough to do in a small market. Normally no funds to sign max players. Gotta do it differently. Miami got 3 good players but you can't build a complete team in one year. They need a couple more key pieces to be really good. They'll be a major force in future and probably win some championships.
    If you could acquire the superstars would market size matter? Wouldn't you be sold out every night? Is TV revenue the issue?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Did they let everyone know that the bird is the word?

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Thumbs up Re: Bird to be on "The Herd" 4/15/2011 sometime during 11 o'clock hour

Quote Originally Posted by TheDon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did they let everyone know that the bird is the word?

Last edited by Kemo; 04-16-2011 at 03:36 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    If you could acquire the superstars would market size matter? Wouldn't you be sold out every night? Is TV revenue the issue?
    I agree fully. Miami's total salary is about $65M this year and the next couple of years. The Pacers' total salary this year is about $64M, and if memory serves me well, has hovered around that figure for awhile now. Income is more relevant to who is on the team rather than total team salary or market size. Ticket sales, merchandise sales and national TV appearances would go through the roof if that $64M included players like Miami has.

The Pacers need to quit using the market size as a crutch. They also need to quit being the "Indianapolis" Pacers and truly become the "Indiana" Pacers.