Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AJ Price wins The Darrick Martin Award

Default AJ Price wins The Darrick Martin Award

From the Hickory High Blog...

The Darrick Martin Award - This award goes to the player with the lowest FG% and a minimum of 300 attempts. The award is named for Darrick Martin, a career 38.2% shooter who played 514 games over 13 NBA seasons.

As I mentioned in previous updates there was a lot of movement in this category throughout the season, as players who shoot under 40% tend to find themselves outside the playing rotation. Pacers’ second-year point guard, A.J. Price, bucked the trend seeing progressively more playing time as his FG% plummeted. Price shot 35.7% on the season, narrowly edging cagy veteran Jason Kidd. Well done young fella’!

http://hickory-high.com/2011/04/14/n...final-edition/

Default Re: AJ Price wins The Darrick Martin Award

We needed a new thread for this??
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-15-2011 at 10:25 AM.

I think Price's shooting percentage is so low because there are so few shots that I can think of him taking within 10 feet of the basket. He loves jump shots and has no conscience about where he is standing when he takes them.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'll repeat a refrain that has become common place around here for me in regards to people like AJ and Lance...he was a second round pick for a reason, and anyone who thinks it was only because of injuries or attitude issues is kidding themselves.

AJ is not a pure PG or anything close to it really.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by MTM View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think Price's shooting percentage is so low because there are so few shots that I can think of him taking within 10 feet of the basket. He loves jump shots and has no conscience about where he is standing when he takes them.
    I think his shooting percentage is so low because he takes a ton of bad shots. Either that or he's not a good shooter. Or it could be a combination of the two.
    Last edited by naptownmenace; 04-15-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

He shot significantly better last season, and will probably shoot significantly better next season. He actually shot worse this season than his first year of college (where he hadn't played basketball in 2 years..)

Actually wouldn't surprise me if he shot well in the playoffs.
    Last edited by Sookie; 04-15-2011 at 10:49 AM.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

I think he lacks lift on his jump shot. Can he get the lift back?

His knee seems to bother him from time to time.

Sports Logo

hey, at least we won something

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Bring in the Jimmer for back up point. If your back up is going to shoot from outside primarily
    then bring in a REAL OUTSIDE shooter.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

13. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:

Banned

Congrats AJ .....

If you haven't checked out the link it's actually a pretty cool list.

NBA Anti-Awards: Final Edition
    With the regular season now in our rear-view mirror, bloggers and basketball writers will be posting their choices for winners of the NBA’s postseason awards. Earlier this year, in a bout of malaise and general curmudgeonliness I created a handful of awards for some of the worst and most discouraging achievements of the season. The games have been played, the turnovers have been tabulated. It’s time for the NBA Anti-Awards to be handed out.

The Shawn Bradley Award – This award goes to the player 6’10″ or taller who has had the highest percentage of his shot attempts blocked (minimum 500 minutes played).

Bulls’ rookie, Omer Asik, led this category almost from start to finish. As the season wound down he was briefly overtaken by a late charge from the Hawks’ Zaza Pachulia. However, with Pachulia taking three shots without being blocked on the final night of the season, Asik passed him to win this award by the slimmest of magins. Pachulia finished with 19.0% of his shots blocked, Asik with 19.1%. Asik’s unique blend of size and general awkwardness should make him a contender in this category for years to come.

The Shawn Kemp Award – This award goes to the player who has fouled out of the most games. From 1986 up through the present, Shawn Kemp is the NBA’s leader in foul outs with 115, 35 more than his next closest competitor.

DeMarcus Cousins locked this one up, fouling out twice in his last eight games. Cousins finished the season with 10 disqualifications due to personal fouls. He put in a lot of work to make this award possible, committing 328 personal fouls on the season, 65 more than the next closest player. Cousins would like to thank his colleagues for all their wonderfully well-executed pump fakes.

The Jahidi White Award – This award goes to the player with the lowest ratio of Ast/FGA (minimum 500 minutes played). The award is named for White who assisted on just 1.7% of his teammates’ baskets over a 334 game career.

Serge Ibaka is this year’s Jahidi White Award winner. Ibaka totalled 21 assists against 613 field goal attempts, for a ratio of 0.03. It’s tough to fault Ibaka. Playing alongside Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, a guy has to take any opportunity he can to get a shot up.

The Darrick Martin Award - This award goes to the player with the lowest FG% and a minimum of 300 attempts. The award is named for Darrick Martin, a career 38.2% shooter who played 514 games over 13 NBA seasons.

As I mentioned in previous updates there was a lot of movement in this category throughout the season, as players who shoot under 40% tend to find themselves outside the playing rotation. Pacers’ second-year point guard, A.J. Price, bucked the trend seeing progressively more playing time as his FG% plummeted. Price shot 35.7% on the season, narrowly edging cagy veteran Jason Kidd. Well done young fella’!

The Jason Kidd Award – This award goes to the player with the most turnovers in a single game. Jason Kidd has had a Hall of Fame career with many terrific positive statistical contributions. He’s also had 3 career games with more than 12 turnovers.

Amare Stoudemire‘s 11 turnover game against Washington, on December 10th, finished the season as the highest in the league. Derrick Rose made a late charge, posting games of 9 and 10 turnovers in February and March, but ultimately fell short. Rose will have to console himself with the NBA’s MVP award.

The Matt Bullard Award – This award goes to the player 6’10″ or taller with the lowest Total Rebound Percentage. (Minimum 500 minutes)

This was one of our most competitive awards. At times Brook Lopez, Danilo Gallinari, Hedo Turkoglu and Andrea Bargnani all looked like clear favorites. In the end, dark horse candidate, Donte Green of the Sacramento Kings emerged as our winner. Greene, who stands 6 feet, 11 inches tall, grabbed just 7.4% of the total rebounds available while he was on the floor.

The Kobe Bryant Award – This award goes to the player who has missed the most shot attempts in a single game. The award is inspired by Kobe’s performance in Game 7 of the Finals last season.

Surprisingly, this was our only category that finished with a tie. Kobe Bryant‘s 21 missed field goals, on November 11th against Denver, were matched just 16 days ago by Monta Ellis. Both players would probably rather throw this award away then put in on their mantles. I hope it doesn’t take them 21 tries to get it into the garbage can.

The Nick Anderson Award - This award goes to the player who missed the most free throws in a single game. Anderson was actually a decent free throw shooter. But his four missed free throw attempts in the 1995 Finals against Houston kind of stand out in my memory.

As expected Dwight Howard easily takes this award. This season he has missed 12 free throws in a game once, 11 free throws three times, and 10 free throws three times. Hopefully, taking home this hardware will lessen the sting of missing out on the MVP.

The Chris Childs Award – This award goes to the player who has posted the highest Turnover Percentage so far this season. It’s named after former New York Knick Chris Childs, who retired with a career Turnover Percentage of 22.8%. (Minimum 500 minutes)

Joel Pryzbilla just barely topped our minutes requirement, stealing this award from Chris Duhon. Pryzbilla finished the season with a TO% of 34.2%. That means more than one out of every three Pryzbilla possessions ended with an offensive foul, a wild pass into the stands, or a dribble off his own leg.

The Andrea Bargnani Award (Formerly the Darius Songaila Award)– This award goes to the player who has provided his team with the least overall production. I use Wins Produced to determine the winner here. (Minimum 500 minutes)

Toronto’s Andrea Bargnani has been the favorite all season, and in the end, he did not disappoint. With a WP48 of -0.122 he’s “contributed” -6.0 wins in 2,353 minutes. As promised to several disgruntled Raptor fans, this award has now been renamed The Andrea Bargnani Award.

Congratulations to all the winners, it was a wonderful season of folly and futility!

16. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Hansbrough went on a nice little run there at the end of the season to miss out on the Jahidi White Award.

Ike Diogu must not have had enough minutes to qualify to win the Jahidi White Award.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    We needed a new thread for this??
    Do we need to start running thread topics by you before posting them? You complained about it in this thread and the Steve Nash/Jason Richardson baby's daddy thread. It is basketball related (hell this one is related to our team). If you don't like it, don't read it.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    He shot significantly better last season, and will probably shoot significantly better next season. He actually shot worse this season than his first year of college (where he hadn't played basketball in 2 years..)

Actually wouldn't surprise me if he shot well in the playoffs.
    LOL I knew you would fly in to defend his terrible shooting.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    LOL I knew you would fly in to defend his terrible shooting.
    Meh, he shot horrible this entire year. But he's always been a good shooter, just wasn't this season. Oh well. I'm sure the team is giving him crap for it. I just happen to think percentages tend to even up over time. He's had a rough year in general, not sure it's all that surprising though.
    Last edited by Sookie; 04-15-2011 at 01:52 PM.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Banned

He played a good game after I put up a thread entitled AJ "Bush League" Price. I hope he plays well in the playoffs but he is a step ahead of the shooting of former Pacer Eddie "ILL" Gill and lacks the ball handling of Kevin Ollie. I really hope to bring back the often injured Marquis Daniels in the offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I think his shooting percentage is so low because he takes a ton of bad shots. Either that or he's not a good shooter. Or it could be a combination of the two.
    lol...

but that prysbilla (sp?!?) stat can't be right...they're saying every 3 times he touches the ball he turns it over?

Undefeated

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Hansbrough went on a nice little run there at the end of the season to miss out on the Jahidi White Award.
    Here's how bad Serge's numbers are (for perspective) Hansbroughs assists/attempts is over twice Serge's!
    Danger Zone

Glad this was posted, I would have never read it buried in a "random thoughts" or whatever thread.
    *removed* Just keep politics and religion completely out of it, please.

29. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jon Theodore For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

AJ shot bad in college. Anyone expecting different against better competition, is asking to be disappointed.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Here's how bad Serge's numbers are (for perspective) Hansbroughs assists/attempts is over twice Serge's!
    Incredible.
    .07 isn't exactly "sharing is caring" range, but it beats the heck out of .03.

As for his late run, I did the season tracking for him. Obviously night one with 0 assists starts him off at a 0, but that's hardly fair. 2 assists in his 2nd game got him up to .17.

Tyler then tracked in that area, even climbing up to a .212 by his 5th game, before steadily falling down toward a .053 in the heart of his hot FG% streak mid-March. He actually recovered a bit back up to the .067 due to lower FGA nights to finish out a bit better.

He also had 2 of his 3 three assist nights in that final month. Replace those with 0s and he holds at .057, so they were big boosts for him.

Obviously Tyler was last on the Pacers, but he had a few guys lingering near him...
    Rush .12
    (if you aren't taking the FGA how is it you also aren't getting the assist?)
    Posey .14
    DJones .15
    (don't even pretend to be surprised by those 2)

George .16
    Danny .16
    Roy .18

Why do you keep shooting instead of passing...

The eFG% for these guys was modestly okay (really sub 50% isn't so hot) with Roy just edging out Tyler for lowest at 46.0 to 46.4. Rush was the only one over 50% from this group.

Posey got in over them at 47.5% eFG thanks to all those threes, speaking of which...

DO YOU KNOW YOU ARE ALLOWED TO GO PAST THAT LINE ON THE COURT AWARD
    Posey, who took a whopping, mind numbing 88% of his shots from beyond the arc. EIGHTY FREAKING EIGHT.
    29 from 2
    212 from 3

And that brings us back to the redux of WHY DO YOU KEEP SHOOTING because due to the extreme rarity of being fouled while standing outside the arc Posey's dreadful SUB-1.00 Points Per Shot Attempt severely outpaced the rest of the "non-passers".

Roy was up at 1.15 (not great but servicable)
    Rush 1.17
    George 1.21
    Danny 1.29
    Tyler 1.25

McBob led the team with a 1.38 and Dun was right behind at 1.31

The point guards had low PPS, but that's why they all had high AST/FGA ratios. Only Posey managed the double threat of both being a poor scorer and a poor passer.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-15-2011 at 09:45 PM.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I have to say, Dun's is really impressive.

It's good that Josh's is good, but he takes mostly close in shots/dunks ect..Dun takes a lot of (mostly) jump shots. Impressive that he's that high.

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    I have to say, Dun's is really impressive.

It's good that Josh's is good, but he takes mostly close in shots/dunks ect..Dun takes a lot of (mostly) jump shots. Impressive that he's that high.
    I really want to resign him to a reasonable contract. It would guarantee at least 3,000 vnzla eyerolls per season.

35. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I really want to resign him to a reasonable contract. It would guarantee at least 3,000 vnzla eyerolls per season.
    Mike has been, arguably, our best player this season. I like him a lot too. I wouldn't mind him as Danny's backup, just so long as PG is getting plenty of time to grow. (Which there is no reason why he wouldn't.)