Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can I say this here - it has little to do with this topic. My brother and I roomed together for 3 years, It was when I was in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. he was 3 years older than me .

One night I guess I was goofing around and being a pain (maybe I was up listening to a Pacers game) but he wanted to go to sleep, so he said "take off your clothes and get in bed you f** without the ot. of course at the time I had no idea nor did he that what he said had any meaning besides - be quiet and go to sleep.
    Sure, but Kobe's a grown man.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

MarvelousMarvin

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Yes, context is key. Kobe's a professional in the public eye insulting another person in his profession. Plus it's being nationally broadcast. Kobe needs to learn to control his temper and how he expresses it. That's the point. Kobe, of all people, should know better.
    Wow, it seems as though some people have never played a game of basketball to know how emotional it gets. A swear is a swear I don't care if he called him a m***** f***** or a n***** or a fa**** it was in the heat of the game and I seriously doubt he walks around calling people it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MarvelousMarvin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Missed. The. Point.

How shocking you would.

EDIT: Is it any less offensive if I just change out the slur for a more direct name?

I guess Tosh's joke about his idea that the NCAA should give one more point to white players who score a basket isn't racist, because he didn't use the the N-word in it.....

I mean, his reasoning behind the idea is to let the other black players know that the white man will still be worth more and to let the white players know that they still have value in athletics.

But NOOOO, that's not racist at all. There's no slur in the joke!!!!!
    Kobe's not a comedian. Whether it's justifiable or not, some forms of art and entertainment are allowed more leeway in terms of taboo subjects. Kobe just needs to control himself. He know what the limits are.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This is very true, I've always felt that minorities are too quick to act like victims of nothing but words, but they do not exhibit the same amount of political correctness the expect towards themselves.
    Never had a a minority call me a cracker to my face. If they did, I would be disappointed.

EDIT: Wouldn't dwell on it, but would be disappointed.
    Last edited by D-BONE; 04-14-2011 at 07:54 PM.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by MarvelousMarvin View Post
    Wow, it seems as though some people have never played a game of basketball to know how emotional it gets. A swear is a swear I don't care if he called him a m***** f***** or a n***** or a fa**** it was in the heat of the game and I seriously doubt he walks around calling people it.
    So I'm in my office at work, I'm pissed at a coworker I don't get along with, and somebody walks in just as I'm venting about the ****ing ***got. I or anyone else wouldn't be in hot water if reported? I know people are going back and forth in the hall and could be stopping in at any point. It's professionalism and common courtesy. Know your surroundings. I'm must talking common sense here.

-Emiliano Zapata

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    I may not agree, but for you to use ****** between friends is different that Kobe using it publicly against a ref. That's precisely the point, you wouldn't have used ****** with someone who was not very close. That's my issue here. Same as the poster who talked about using any of these potentially derogatory terms in a professional, or otherwise inappropriate context.
    yeah in retrospect might not have been the best , but everyone please liste to A Tribe Called Quests song "Sucka Nigga" it breaks it down real well

It was simply used as a way of saying "my man"

like he is my nigga, or this nigga crazy so they would just refer to me in the same fashion. So my thing is if you can call me that I can do the same thing.

Again though I wouldnt say that randomly in public
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    yeah in retrospect might not have been the best , but everyone please liste to A Tribe Called Quests song "Sucka Nigga" it breaks it down real well

It was simply used as a way of saying "my man"

like he is my nigga, or this nigga crazy so they would just refer to me in the same fashion. So my thing is if you can call me that I can do the same thing.

Again though I wouldnt say that randomly in public
    If you use the term in a situation where it was acceptable amongst close friends in a primarily confidential/personal setting (register), I have no qualms.

The song and group your reference are great. What I'm arguing is people need to be cognizant of the context in which they say things. Would Q-tip call a brother he didn't know at all ******/nigga in a public forum or at all? Maybe he would, but I have my doubts. Would he call him ****** o nigga for that matter? That's a related, but different discussion.

My issue is more about knowing when certain language is permissible and when it isn't. I'm sure Kobe wasn't really labeling the ref a ***got. But he took out his frustration in a public forum where he ran the risk of it being overheard and it was.

-Emiliano Zapata

9. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

ya, youve heard white people call blacks "n-----r" in a heated basketball game? Or blacks calling whites "cracker?" I haven't...

I still play sports competitively, but I would...

A) try to control/suppress expletive outbursts to the extent that I could
    B) in the event that I let loose definitely not do so with words, such as ****** or ***got, which are most certainly loaded terms that could be misconstrued regardless of my true intent

I know lots of people who wouldn't want to have me continue playing with them if I was making these kind of scenes. Kobe - et al - need to stop acting like babies.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    . Why don't we all stay home and watch cable and live off the govment?
    Nothing's stopping you, if you really think you would be better off...

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    On the other hand, I wouldn't expect a black person to be offended if I was using the word in a non-insulting manner, and I don't think they would be unless they wanted to be, in which case I'd say they're the one with the issue, not me.
    how do you use "n----r" in an un-insulting manner?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dal9 View Post
    how do you use "n----r" in an un-insulting manner?
    Urban Dictionary can help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    Urban Dictionary can help you out.
    thanks, i looked, didnt get past the first page...the first seven definitions listed looked like they were written by Stormfront members...

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    I agree with many of your posts, but not this one. In fact, this is precisely what I disagree with about this fine. I don't believe that fines of any kind should be tied to how much money you make. WAY more than enough things are already tied to that. I'm tired of the concept that if you make more money the government and other monopolies like the NBA can force people to pay more. Why don't we all stay home and watch cable and live off the govment?
    You are absolutely right. I 100% agree, and worded my post poorly. Thanks for calling me out on my error. $100,000 is $100,000 regardless of how you cut it. That's a lot of money no matter who you are.

I guess my view of it all is that I don't think he should have been fined 1 penny, but at least Kobe's family isn't going to go hungry over this.

David Stern should save stealing from the rich and giving to the poor for Robin Hood and Obama.