Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 114

Thread: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

  1. #51
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and you admit that while technically a non-exclusive term, it's still exclusive to one race, while the other word, while also technically a non-exclusive term, isn't. The difference being...what?
    So one word was used to define a race for just being, the other was used to define behavioral patterns.

    That is a huge difference.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  2. #52
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    both words have been used under the guise of describing behavioral patterns. Let's not be obtuse.

  3. #53
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    The funny thing is growing up I was called the "N word" by my friends who called each other , and me the N word.

    I would never say that to someone I dont know but the dudes who called me one , I would use the word back in the same context they used it

    The word ***got though to me is universal. I dont even think , at least to me, it means gay

    nowadays to me, ***got means, a soft guy, or just a plain dikhead
    Sittin on top of the world!

  4. #54
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    I can think of many more occasions where I've heard white guys call other white guys n***er than f***ot.

  5. #55
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    both words have been used under the guise of describing behavioral patterns. Let's not be obtuse.
    Have both been used to describe behavioral patterns across all races and or ethnic groups? i don't think that applies to the word N***er. I'm just saying men were being called ***gots for being sissy's way before gays were being called ***gots for exhibiting sissy like behavior. (note, i don't have anything against gays)
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  6. #56
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,106

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Shocking that this thread has not been locked.

    Not that I mind, it is just getting good.

  7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:


  8. #57
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,810

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just saying men were being called ***gots for being sissy's way before gays were being called ***gots for exhibiting sissy like behavior. (note, i don't have anything against gays)
    I think you'd better be prepared to do some research before making statements like this.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  10. #58
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The funny thing is growing up I was called the "N word" by my friends who called each other , and me the N word.

    I would never say that to someone I dont know but the dudes who called me one , I would use the word back in the same context they used it

    The word ***got though to me is universal. I dont even think , at least to me, it means gay

    nowadays to me, ***got means, a soft guy, or just a plain dikhead
    Context is key. When words have multiple meanings, we must look at the context in order to determine the specific usage.

    Knowing that the word f***** is used both as a slur for homosexual males and as a term roughly synonymous with "idiot," when looking at the context in which Kobe used it (a referee he believed made a bad call), it seems obvious to me that it was the latter. He could've been more tactful in his choice of word as to not offend the willfully offended, yes, but like he said, it was in the heat of the moment. People usually don't take the time to choose their words wisely in such emotional situations.

    Perhaps those smearing Mamba with the label of "homophobe" (a term that I'd argue, itself, has become a slur) should be the ones issuing the apologies?

  11. #59
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,820

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Can I say this here - it has little to do with this topic. My brother and I roomed together for 3 years, It was when I was in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. he was 3 years older than me .

    One night I guess I was goofing around and being a pain (maybe I was up listening to a Pacers game) but he wanted to go to sleep, so he said "take off your clothes and get in bed you f** without the ot. of course at the time I had no idea nor did he that what he said had any meaning besides - be quiet and go to sleep.

  12. #60
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,219

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    What I wonder is if players get fined for calling white players "crackers" or does the league just not care about racial slurs directed at white people?

    We as a society tear apart anyone who uses a slur towards a minority group, but Eddie Griffin makes a living off racial slurs towards us "whities."

    For the record, I really don't care. I don't get offended easily, which is why I make black jokes to my black friends and why I make gay jokes to my gay friends. Regardless if I call them a "***" or "gay" or "homosexual" it all means the samething IMHO. If you want it to be derogatory, you can. Or you can just accept the fact that some people are reta.... I mean dumb, and they will try and hurt you in whatever way they can.

    So if you let the term "***" be hurtful they will use it. If you let the term "******" hurt you, then they will use that too. If you let the term "cracker" hurt you, they will use it. If you let the term "hibhob" hurt you, someone will start using that.

    You can't change other people. But you can change how you react to the situation.

    Which is why I find Daniel Tosh, and like comedians, so damn funny.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  14. #61
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    ...and yet Tosh still doesn't use those words.

  15. #62
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,219

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Missed. The. Point.

    How shocking you would.

    EDIT: Is it any less offensive if I just change out the slur for a more direct name?

    I guess Tosh's joke about his idea that the NCAA should give one more point to white players who score a basket isn't racist, because he didn't use the the N-word in it.....

    I mean, his reasoning behind the idea is to let the other black players know that the white man will still be worth more and to let the white players know that they still have value in athletics.

    But NOOOO, that's not racist at all. There's no slur in the joke!!!!!
    Last edited by Since86; 04-14-2011 at 03:46 PM.

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  17. #63
    billbradley
    Guest

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    i said ***got when i was in high school. it's offensive so i stopped. whats difficult about that?

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to billbradley For This Useful Post:


  19. #64
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,303

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can I say this here - it has little to do with this topic. My brother and I roomed together for 3 years, It was when I was in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade. he was 3 years older than me .

    One night I guess I was goofing around and being a pain (maybe I was up listening to a Pacers game) but he wanted to go to sleep, so he said "take off your clothes and get in bed you f** without the ot. of course at the time I had no idea nor did he that what he said had any meaning besides - be quiet and go to sleep.

    Oh the irony.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  20. #65
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    31,021

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    I'm a little surprised that *** is censored on here but ****** isn't.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  21. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  22. #66
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...and yet Tosh still doesn't use those words.


    Tosh doesn't use what words? He routinely uses multiple derogatory words to describe homosexuals. He uses derogatory words to describe pretty much every group of people around other than blacks.
    Grown Man Ball

  23. #67
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think you'd better be prepared to do some research before making statements like this.
    I'm just saying that the gay man does not own the ***got insult all to themselves. Its not an exclusive pairing.

    I will also say that anyone who takes the insult of ***got as being called gay does not know the English language very well. Infact the original gay slur was Fairy.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  24. #68
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What I wonder is if players get fined for calling white players "crackers" or does the league just not care about racial slurs directed at white people?

    We as a society tear apart anyone who uses a slur towards a minority group, but Eddie Griffin makes a living off racial slurs towards us "whities."

    For the record, I really don't care. I don't get offended easily, which is why I make black jokes to my black friends and why I make gay jokes to my gay friends. Regardless if I call them a "***" or "gay" or "homosexual" it all means the samething IMHO. If you want it to be derogatory, you can. Or you can just accept the fact that some people are reta.... I mean dumb, and they will try and hurt you in whatever way they can.

    So if you let the term "***" be hurtful they will use it. If you let the term "******" hurt you, then they will use that too. If you let the term "cracker" hurt you, they will use it. If you let the term "hibhob" hurt you, someone will start using that.

    You can't change other people. But you can change how you react to the situation.
    This is very true, I've always felt that minorities are too quick to act like victims of nothing but words, but they do not exhibit the same amount of political correctness the expect towards themselves.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  26. #69
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    I also think that Kobe calling that ref a ***got was very appropriate because he called him for sissy foul, one of those touch fouls or the type of foul they call just because you were shoulders with a guy while he was dribbling up the court. It was very soft.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  27. #70
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,810

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm just saying that the gay man does not own the ***got insult all to themselves. Its not an exclusive pairing.

    I will also say that anyone who takes the insult of ***got as being called gay does not know the English language very well. Infact the original gay slur was Fairy.
    Did you even look at the reference I provided? Or do you have another source of word origin and usage reference that I am not able to find?
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  28. #71
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,106

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Shocking that this thread has not been locked.

    Not that I mind, it is just getting good.
    Right when I said that, it went from good to awesome.

    Thread of the year. Thanks Kobe.
    Last edited by Mackey_Rose; 04-14-2011 at 04:15 PM.

  29. #72
    Member Since86's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Muncie
    Posts
    21,219

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is very true, I've always felt that minorities are too quick to act like victims of nothing but words, but they do not exhibit the same amount of political correctness the expect towards themselves.
    That's not what I meant, but......I don't disagree with your statement.

    EDIT: I don't think it's a difference between minorities and the majority.

    I think it's just a good description of people in general, and it shows that no matter the difference on the outside, we all act the same.

    I think as a society we put people down. And if it's a racial slur, we will use it. If it's a sexual slur, we will use it. If the term "lent licker" was a put down, we'd use it.

    I don't hold minorities to a higher standard and think that just because I can't call them names they shouldn't be able to call us names.

    I just think as a human race we get off on putting other people down, because it makes us feel better about our selves, and that doesn't change with skin color or sexual identity.
    Last edited by Since86; 04-14-2011 at 04:20 PM.

  30. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:


  31. #73
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is very true, I've always felt that minorities are too quick to act like victims of nothing but words, but they do not exhibit the same amount of political correctness the expect towards themselves.
    I think that's all I need to hear. Done with this evolutionary trip in the opposite direction.

    Nothing good or fun is going to come from this discussion...it's just going to spotlight people's prejudices that would be best left hidden.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-14-2011 at 04:27 PM.

  32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  33. #74

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Bigotry is for fags

  34. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PacersHomer For This Useful Post:


  35. #75
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did you even look at the reference I provided? Or do you have another source of word origin and usage reference that I am not able to find?
    Yes that reference is fine, that is exactly the word orgin i am familiar with. So what is your point? An earlier use of the word described an old and shrewd woman. One of the earliest uses that were aimed at homosexuals was in New York in the early 1900's at a homosexual ball where gay men dressed in drag. The reporter of the event described them as ***gots because of how badly they looked, Ala an old shrew. Being that the term has it roots in slurring women, calling a man a ***got has connotation of calling him a sissy or soft.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
  2. Taking a Comparative Look at LeBron
    By quinnthology in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 02:48 AM
  3. Kobe May Opt Out
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM
  4. ESPN Kobe Insider-MUST READ
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 05:24 PM
  5. 1/27/04 "Is Kobe the prize of 2004?"
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •