Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 114

Thread: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

  1. #26
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,392

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Long ago? That's news to me.
    When you are 10 years old, 4 months ago was long ago. Long ago to me is 35 years ago...

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  3. #27

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I'm no Kobe fan and I don't like either the N or F word...I think anyone complaining about this needs to look in the mirror at themselves.

    I don't know the law (i.e. CBA) surrounding this but it seems wrong that anyone could contract away a fundamental right (Freedom of speech). Nobody is perfect and 100K fine for a word that he is legally allowed to utter is wrong in my book.
    I don't think anyone is saying he should go to jail or that what he did is in any way illegal. But, he was at work. Try going to your job and calling one of your coworkers a "fu***ing fa**ot." I'd say most of us would get off lucky with a fine.

  4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  5. #28

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    While I'm no Kobe fan and I don't like either the N or F word...I think anyone complaining about this needs to look in the mirror at themselves.

    I don't know the law (i.e. CBA) surrounding this but it seems wrong that anyone could contract away a fundamental right (Freedom of speech). Nobody is perfect and 100K fine for a word that he is legally allowed to utter is wrong in my book.
    Freedom of speech only covers your right to not go to jail. Employers can punish if they so like.
    I like Kobe, but I"m glad the NBA made a statement.

    and No, I don't use that word.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:


  7. #29
    The Mole ColeTheMole's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Bloomington
    Posts
    552

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    I agree with the NBA fining him. However, I think the whole world needs to grow up at some point. Words are just words.
    DG for 3

  8. #30
    Call me Kauffie Kaufman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    this may not be a chic thing to say, but has anyone ever considered that using the N word or the F word maybe not sooo bad in the sense that by avoiding these terms we give them more importance than what they are worth?

    my thinking may be a bit over rational, but just wondering. i've seen these thoughts suggested, they may or may not reflect my own, but i was just wondering for a point of discussion.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:


  10. #31
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,392

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think anyone is saying he should go to jail or that what he did is in any way illegal. But, he was at work. Try going to your job and calling one of your coworkers a "fu***ing fa**ot." I'd say most of us would get off lucky with a fine.
    No, that's not where I was going. My issue is that Stern is acting like a dictator setting whatever number he wants to extract. It's really a control issue IMO. The NBA is not a normal employer and Kobe and other athletes are basically gagged. Unlike most private people Kobe cannot go elsewhere to get a similar job, particularly due to the CBA. That's the difference. Stern is a control freak and he's sending a message to the rest of the league. That's all this is.

    As for some kind of punishment, I agree with that. But a 100K fine is extreme and smacks of arrogance. Why not 100 million? What is the arbitrary limit? What if a rookie backup said the same thing? Is Stern going to treat them equally and take the guy's retirement?

    Again, I'm not defending anything Kobe said...

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  12. #32

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    All I kept thinking while reading this thread was:

    http://www.flamewarriors.com/warriorshtm/weenie.htm


    Weenie is a very sensitive guy, and it angers and saddens him that everyone isn't just as sensitive as he. An admitted male feminist, Weenie is ever vigilant against anti-progressive attitudes. Though he seldom comes into personal contact with the working classes, he keenly feels the pain of their oppression nonetheless . Weenie's chief antagonists are Troglodyte, Evil Clown, Capitalista and sometimes Ideologue. Because of his natural petulance Weenie can easily be goaded into battle, but he is encumbered by a tendency to throw temper tantrums when severely pressed.

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:


  14. #33

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Glad to see Indiana is still Indiana

  15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IUfan4life For This Useful Post:


  16. #34

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for some kind of punishment, I agree with that. But a 100K fine is extreme and smacks of arrogance. Why not 100 million? What is the arbitrary limit? What if a rookie backup said the same thing? Is Stern going to treat them equally and take the guy's retirement?
    Agreed. I've never liked how arbitrary some of Stern's fines and suspensions are.

  17. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  18. #35
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    this may not be a chic thing to say, but has anyone ever considered that using the N word or the F word maybe not sooo bad in the sense that by avoiding these terms we give them more importance than what they are worth?

    my thinking may be a bit over rational, but just wondering. i've seen these thoughts suggested, they may or may not reflect my own, but i was just wondering for a point of discussion.
    It sounds good in theory, but I'm not sure there aren't people who want to be offended and "victimized" as often as possible.

  19. #36
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. I've never liked how arbitrary some of Stern's fines and suspensions are.
    From 2001...

    In A War Of Words, Two That Wound Allen Iverson Traded Slurs With A Fan. Both Struck Incredibly Sensitive Nerves. - Philly.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred Lubrano, INQUIRER STAFF WRITER
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    According to Sixers guard Allen Iverson, a spectator in Indianapolis called him a ["N" word] during a game on Jan. 28. He responded by calling the man a ["F" word]. Iverson was fined $5,000 by the National Basketball Association after NBC cameras caught him saying the word.
    That's quite an increase.

  20. #37

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sullinger View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was also 10 years ago

  21. #38
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur


  22. #39
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,926
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Kuq_e_Zi91 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is a touchy subject, and one I understand isn't meant for this board, but I just felt the need to say that comparing the non four letter F word and the N word is absolutely ridiculous. It is not the same. Period.
    I feel that I may regret commenting in this thread for a number reasons, one of which is that it is dancing on the "thread locked" line already, but...

    That's your opinion, not a statement of absolute truth that can or should define these issues, as your "period" ending suggests. Having had both words thrown at me on multiple occasions, I can tell you my opinion based on personal experience. I do not think the comparison is even remotely ridiculous and the emotional impact of these situations and my reaction to them were substantially the same.

    Back to basketball-ish: I am often bewildered by the arbitrariness of NBA fines and I hope for consistent enforcement of these things too. However, freedom of speech is about being free of government interference in what one can say, it does not protect you from whatever legally allowed consequences may result from what you say. That includes your employer deciding that what you have said reflects badly on the company and punishing you accordingly - especially when you've agreed to it beforehand in the form collective bargaining agreements and contracts.

    I think the Iverson situation was a little different in that it was a mutual exchange of insults initiated by the fan (though I do think his fine should have been higher and I bet it would be today in the post-brawl NBA), whereas Kobe directed his ire toward someone who is essentially a co-worker/superior.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    "Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

  23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:


  24. #40
    You Did It Joseph!!!! AesopRockOn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    honolulu
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,877
    Mood

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    TIL Pacers Digest doesn't censor out **********. George Carlin is like, 'what?'

    It seems like Kobe, and KMart before him, used the term as an emasculating, diminutive insult rather than a reference to lifestyle or genetic predisposition. Obviously the term has its roots in ignorant hatred (and bundles of sticks). You'd think Kobe would know better since he's Tiger 2.0 before Tiger figures it out. The fine will probably be appealed and lowered. It's a lose-lose either way.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to AesopRockOn For This Useful Post:


  26. #41
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    682

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. I've never liked how arbitrary some of Stern's fines and suspensions are.
    What are you talking about? As always, it was a 1-0 vote and the fine levied was agreed upon by all voters. Totally fair.
    Spoiler Spoiler:

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to DocHolliday For This Useful Post:


  28. #42
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,106

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    I don't think he should have been penalized at all, but just for perspective sake for those saying it's excessive, fining Kobe $100 grand, is like someone making $50,000 a year getting fined $185.

  29. #43
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    6,328

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Glad to see Indiana is still Indiana
    Huh, I guess the comments from posters in Washington DC, Arizona, Rhode Island, and Chicago Illinois must be my imagination.
    You know how hippos are made out to be sweet and silly, like big cows, but are actually extremely dangerous and can kill you with stunning brutality? The Pacers are the NBA's hippos....Matt Moore CBS Sports....

  30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RWB For This Useful Post:


  31. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    582

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by RWB View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Huh, I guess the comments from posters in Washington DC, Arizona, Rhode Island, and Chicago Illinois must be my imagination.
    Rationality, logic and facts have no business in a witch hunt. Now get back to tendin' the farm, you backwards hayseed!

  32. #45
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    The term ***got is not an exclusive insult to gay men. I wish this country was smarter.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  33. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:


  34. #46
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    The term n***er is not an exclusive insult to black people. Feel free to explain that to everyone you use that word against.

  35. #47

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Take 7 mins of your life and watch this (NSFW):

    http://www.funnyordie.com/videos/a8a...-s-poker-scene

    It's from Louie C.K.'s show Louie. It seems crude at first, but I promise that if you stick with it, it will hit you like a brick.
    Last edited by FlavaDave; 04-14-2011 at 02:00 PM. Reason: NSFW tag

  36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FlavaDave For This Useful Post:


  37. #48
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,245

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Personally, I think the fine should be for disrepecting the ref or the game... and should be consistent with other fines levied for that offense with any other player. What word he chose to do it is for his own personal PR hit.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  38. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  39. #49
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,450

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The term n***er is not an exclusive insult to black people. Feel free to explain that to everyone you use that word against.
    Actually it is, i know technically the word just means one who is ignorant, but it is exclusively meant in reference to blacks. Nobody in that era was going around calling Indians or Chinese people ******.

    You can't say the same about the word ***got. Its totally different. The world describes an emasculation of the male persona. A sissy if you will. Its like when you are a kid and you and your friends are crossing a busy street and one kid is scared to go. You would all chide him and call him a ***got. That does not mean you are calling him a gay. Its just that stereotypically gays exhibited behaviors that are considered emasculate.

    So one word was used to define a race for just being, the other was used to define behavioral patterns.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  40. #50
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,127

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Kobe Fined 100k for Gay Slur

    ...and you admit that while technically a non-exclusive term, it's still exclusive to one race, while the other word, while also technically a non-exclusive term, isn't. The difference being...what?

    I generally never called my friends fa**ots when I was little. Didn't really hear it from them, either. Of course, that's just me.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
  2. Taking a Comparative Look at LeBron
    By quinnthology in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-15-2010, 02:48 AM
  3. Kobe May Opt Out
    By MillerTime in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 06-18-2009, 09:37 AM
  4. ESPN Kobe Insider-MUST READ
    By Kstat in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2004, 05:24 PM
  5. 1/27/04 "Is Kobe the prize of 2004?"
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-27-2004, 11:03 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •