Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NBA Cancels Summer League

Eating some cranbaisins The Sleeze's Avatar

Default NBA Cancels Summer League

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

The NBA, facing the possibility of a work stoppage, has canceled this year's Las Vegas summer league and will not run its annual college internship program, the New York Daily News reported, citing league sources.

NBA Labor Negotiations

The NBA owners and NBPA are negotiating a new collective bargaining agreement, with the possibility of a lockout looming.

The league is also not sending any teams to Europe for training camp and has not scheduled any preseason games there, according to the report.

The collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the players union expires June 30 and there have not been formal talks between the two sides in months.

The summer league usually starts in July, while the internship program, at the league offices in New York and the league's entertainment division in Secaucus, N.J., lasts 10 weeks, according to the report.

The NBA, which says more than half of its teams are losing money, has proposed instituting a hard salary cap, as well as shorter contract lengths and non-guaranteed deals.

Last month, union executive director Billy Hunter said a hard cap would effectively end guaranteed contracts. "We've had that right for years, and it's not something we're trying to give up," he said.
    Last edited by The Sleeze; 04-13-2011 at 11:43 AM.

Default Re: NBA Cancels Summer League

That applies to Vegas summer league and pre-season Euro play. There was no mention of Orlando's Summer League ending which the Pacers, Magic, Bulls and Philly participate in. So, I'm wondering if ALL summer league play will be terminated pending a new CBA or if only the "big wig" Vegas summer league is nixed?

It is going to be a dark, dark October, and November, and December

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That applies to Vegas summer league and pre-season Euro play. There was no mention of Orlando's Summer League ending which the Pacers, Magic, Bulls and Philly participate in. So, I'm wondering if ALL summer league play will be terminated pending a new CBA or if only the "big wig" Vegas summer league is nixed?
    I don't know. You figure if they just cancel one league then that would give the teams in Orlando an unfair advantage in terms of player development.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

It is going to be a long, boring summer and fall except for the speculation about what is going to happen with the CBA and what teams are going to suffer for it, and which teams are going to be contracted, if any.

Somebody needs to come up with some new games to play for us to pass the time while we wait...

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NuffSaid View Post
    As I understand it, there won't be any contact between teams and players once the CBA expires, so those are no go too. I think the draft is the last league organized activity before the CBA expires.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to wintermute For This Useful Post:

This sucks. I always looked forward to this in July.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    It is going to be a long, boring summer and fall.......
    And winter.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    And winter.
    Isn't that what the NFL is for? A diversion when there is downtime for the NBA?

Wait...

The NHL?

There is always Oprah, who is now her OWN network! That way we all can learn about ourselves and how to become even more dysfunctional than we already are and feel better about ourselves until we realize that we are trapped in a vicious repetitive cycle that we need help with that, conveniently, the OWN network can further educate us about!

Or not...

Youtube!!!!!!!!

Banned

This is a shame for the likes of Matt Howard/ Ben Hansbrough type of player.

I think you'll see an influx of players participating in Pro Am leagues. As some of you may know, Indy has a Pro Am league with NBA & college participation, which is run by Carlos Knox. I know I've seen guys like George Hill, Zach Randolph, Eric Gordon, Josh McRoberts, etc. all participate. I think a lot of players will need to play in something to continue to stay in shape and prepare for the season (whenever it may start).

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    As I understand it, there won't be any contact between teams and players once the CBA expires, so those are no go too. I think the draft is the last league organized activity before the CBA expires.

This. Last time we had a lockout, coaches and players weren't allowed to interact. That led to Reggie and Mark Jackson organizing their own practices for the team so that they would be in good shape and on the same page when the lockout was over. No way you can have a summer league if there's nobody there to coach.

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Eindar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    indeed. no cba > no contracts for rookies > no summer leagues, unless organized by players at their own risk

Quote Originally Posted by IUfan4life View Post
    It is going to be a dark, dark October, and November, and December
    And January, and February, and March....

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brad8888 View Post
    It is going to be a long, boring summer and fall except for the speculation about what is going to happen with the CBA and what teams are going to suffer for it, and which teams are going to be contracted, if any.

Somebody needs to come up with some new games to play for us to pass the time while we wait...
    That's what I'm thinking. Look at the excitement of this NFL off season. Yikes.

Draft, FA, summer ball, World Champs - without that it takes forever to get to a new NBA season, and that's if it even starts on time. Sux

Member Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/s...=ESPNHeadlines

NBA: No decision on summer league

The NBA, responding to a report that its Las Vegas summer league will be canceled due to a potential July 1 shutdown over its labor dispute with players, said it has yet to make a decision on whether the summer games will be played.

"No decision has been made on summer leagues," NBA spokesman Tim Frank told ESPN.com on Wednesday. He declined to discuss the league's timetable for making a decision.

The New York Daily News, citing unnamed league sources, reported Wednesday that the NBA had canceled the Las Vegas summer league as well as its annual college internship program.

The league is also not sending any teams to Europe for training camp and has not scheduled any preseason games there, according to the report.

The collective bargaining agreement between the NBA and the players union expires June 30 and there have not been formal talks between the two sides in months.

The NBA's primary summer league has been in Las Vegas in recent years, with a smaller league in Orlando. Both events typically begin in early July.

The NBA Board of Governors is scheduled to meet in New York this week. Collective bargaining negotiations and a likely July 1 lockout are paramount on the agenda.

In talks with the union, the NBA, which says more than half of its teams are losing money, has proposed instituting a hard salary cap, as well as shorter contract lengths and non-guaranteed deals.

Last month, union executive director Billy Hunter said a hard cap would effectively end guaranteed contracts. "We've had that right for years, and it's not something we're trying to give up," he said.

League sources have long speculated that the summer leagues will almost certainly to be a casualty of the labor situation. It takes months to plan the leagues, but they fall just days after an expected lockout would begin. Last year's Orlando league began July 5, and the Las Vegas league kicked off July 9.
    Oldness comes with a smile
    To every love given child
    Oldness comes to rile
    The youth who dream suicide

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Il Ragionier Ugo Fantozzi For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    I think you'll see an influx of players participating in Pro Am leagues. As some of you may know, Indy has a Pro Am league with NBA & college participation, which is run by Carlos Knox. I know I've seen guys like George Hill, Zach Randolph, Eric Gordon, Josh McRoberts, etc. all participate. I think a lot of players will need to play in something to continue to stay in shape and prepare for the season (whenever it may start).
    This is the first thing I thought of. You might see some really big time players in addition to the local guys in the Indy Pro Am if the summer leagues do end up getting cancelled.

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ESPN
    This disappoints me more than losing any kind of summer league. If these clowns don't even want to pass proposals before summer it's a safe bet to know that we're not going to sniff NBA basketball before January... if at all next season!

I guess money, games and P.R. have to be lost before any "real & substantial" negotiations will take place!
    Last edited by Roaming Gnome; 04-13-2011 at 04:04 PM.
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I keep getting closer and closer to getting IU Football and Basketball season ticket packages.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I keep getting closer and closer to getting IU Football and Basketball season ticket packages.
    I can just kick you in the nuts for cheaper.

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    That made me laugh...
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Since86 View Post
    Rather be kicked in the nuts than have my nuts forced into a salad shooter a la Purdue.

Awesome!

IU & Purdue: Where your nuts get mutilated.

My avatar must have just watched one of their football games.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to The Sleeze For This Useful Post:

The NBA is ****ing up.

They can be doing a lot more from now until the summer, but they're lazy ****s.

The NBA needs new administration especially a new commissioner. David Stern has to be replaced. He doesn't even care anymore and has been here for years.

Time for a change.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post: