Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Bulls Playoff Series news/thoughts thread

Default Pacers/Bulls Playoff Series news/thoughts thread

Figured I would make a thread where we could specifically discuss our thoughts specifically pertaining to this 1st round series matchup vs. the Chicago Bulls..

Also would like this thread for posting any news articles pertaining to this series as they pop up leading into the playoffs..

I'll start with a news article I just read.

Bulls Go From Underdogs To Favorites

http://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap...s_To_Favorites

Apr 09, 2011 1:51 PM EDT

The last two seasons, the Chicago Bulls squeaked into the playoffs as the eighth seed in the East.

This season, the Bulls hold the first seed, going from underdogs to favorites.

"I know it's going to be different because everybody is going to be expecting us to win," Derrick Rose said. "But Thibs will have us ready."

That would be coach Tom Thibodeau, who said he doesn't plan to rest his starters over the final three games, since the Bulls are still chasing the San Antonio Spurs for the league's best overall record and home-court advantage through the NBA Finals.

Via Chicago Tribune

With the above article being read, I just want to say I hope we shock the world and upset the Bulls ..

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Bulls Playoff Series news/thoughts thread

Most of you will call me crazy after saying this(probably because I am) but I am going with my heart on this series.

Everyone has or will be writing us off in this series, and probably with good cause.

The Bulls are playing great basketball of late, but this is Indiana basketball. We have been playing with confidence and the will to win in the month of April.

I think that we steal one of the first 2 games @ Chicago, and we close out the series in Indy for game 6.

Like I said, I am crazy for saying this because I know it probably won't happen, but someone has to believe in this team pulling the upset.

#8 Denver over #1 Sonics in 1994
    #8 Knicks over #1 Miami in 1999
    #8 Warriors over Mavs in 2007
    #8 Pacers over Bulls in 2011

With all that being said, GO PACERS!!!!
    Last edited by KingGeorge; 04-10-2011 at 03:24 AM. Reason: typo

3. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to KingGeorge For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    Most of you will call me crazy after saying this(probably because I am) but I am going with my heart on this series.

Everyone has or will be writing us off in this series, and probably with good cause.

The Bulls are playing great basketball of late, but this is Indiana basketball. We have been playing with confidence and the will to win in the month of April.

I think that we still one of the first 2 games @ Chicago, and we close out the series in Indy for game 6.

Like I said, I am crazy for saying this because I know it probably won't happen, but someone has to believe in this team pulling the upset.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep, you're crazy. But I like the enthusiasm.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

All we have to do is stop that Rose guy.

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    All we have to do is stop that Rose guy.
    I don't know if it can be done, but the most effective way is to limit others and let the series be "Derrick Rose vs the Indiana Pacers." Our victory against them was because of this, and if everybody can contribute plus stop other Bulls from helping Rose offensively, that will be the best chance to eliminate them.

I think the most effective ways to limit Rose are:
    - Have DC tire Rose off offensively. Rose, although big for a PG, is not that good in defense. If DC can use his quickness and efficiency from midrange, it will certainly tire off Rose guarding him, or may even have foul problems along the way.

- Good perimeter defense against him using physicality. DJones can be the one. Rush and George can also help using their length. It can also tire out Rose if a physical defense is pressuring him on the perimeter.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 15th parallel For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    I don't know if it can be done, but the most effective way is to limit others and let the series be "Derrick Rose vs the Indiana Pacers." Our victory against them was because of this, and if everybody can contribute plus stop other Bulls from helping Rose offensively, that will be the best chance to eliminate them.

- Have DC tire Rose off offensively. Rose, although big for a PG, is not that good in defense. If DC can use his quickness and efficiency from midrange, it will certainly tire off Rose guarding him, or may even have foul problems along the way.

- Good perimeter defense against him using physicality. DJones can be the one. Rush and George can also help using their length. It can also tire out Rose if a physical defense is pressuring him on the perimeter.
    Agree with this entire post.

We must force Derrick Rose to win this series all by himself. No monster games from Boozer, No lights out performances from Deng we damn sure better not get out hustled by guys like Brewer, Bogans an CJ Watson. Also we most certainly have to keep them in check on the boards.

Seems like a tall order but thats what they get paid to do.

Pacers in 7. If we lose the series, I want Rose to be so tired and banged up that the Bulls have no shot in the second round.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to LA_Confidential For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

We can't just focus on stopping rose. We have mismatches in the post zone as well, how are we supposed to stop boozer?

13. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only games we will when are the ones where we get their bigs in foul trouble. Given that we have Tyler, maybe we could do this a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    We can't just focus on stopping rose. We have mismatches in the post zone as well, how are we supposed to stop boozer?
    Boozer is not that impossible to stop, plus he's not that good defensively, so if our bigs can get it going offensively against him, it can neutralize somewhat what he's doing on offense. A healthy dose of Tyler, Josh and Foster can be effective give Boozer different looks on defense.

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post

I think that we steal one of the first 2 games @ Chicago, and we close out the series in Indy for game 6.

OK, fair enough, but what is the game plan. How do we control Rose and more importantly how do we find a way to constantly score against the Bulls great defense. If we dont do either of those to a certain degree, we aren't winning

I'll tell you one thing we'll have to do to have any chance to win any game...CONTROL THE BOARDS. If we succeed in getting stops, we can't let them get myriad extra possessions by failing to secure our defensive glass. Bulls inside guys are long and athletic. Have to shut that off.

Conversely, we need to shoot reasonably well and get to the foul line some. We'll need our bench to seriously outplay theirs and, obviously we'll have to consistently outhustle them.

I agree with the premise to try to make Rose work in multiple ways while attempting to lock up others and make it have to the the D-Rose show. However, I'm not sure that's exactly easy to do against guys like Boozer and Deng. But, yes, that's probably how it would have to work.

Realistically, I'm thrilled with two wins...content with one if we compete in some of the games. Anything more than either of those two is gravy in my boodk.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

18. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Boozer is not that impossible to stop, plus he's not that good defensively, so if our bigs can get it going offensively against him, it can neutralize somewhat what he's doing on offense. A healthy dose of Tyler, Josh and Foster can be effective give Boozer different looks on defense.
    boozer has trouble defending length. pacers are short of those at the 4. tyler is too short, josh is too weak. jeff can defend boozer, but cannot score at all. one of the things that will come out of this series is the pacer's need for a PF.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to xIndyFan For This Useful Post:

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

We need to run and not let the Bulls set up. I know this scares all of you with chucking 3s, but I really think that is the only way we steal one at Chicago.

Getting this to game 6 would be a HUGE success. 2-2 going into Chicago would be ideal, but unlikely.

We most be great from the field and on the boards. We must closeout out to make them have an extra pass after Rose penetrates.

Keeping it close and limiting their runs can be done. Pressure 3/4 court and deny the wing pass (something Danny cannot do consistently). Push them to attack from the wings to baseline, instead of right down the lane.

All these things need to be down, but we have yet to do them consistently and on a level to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    If we lose the series, I want Rose to be so tired and banged up that the Bulls have no shot in the second round.
    If and when we lose this series (I'm guessing in 6), I'm rooting for the Bulls to win it all. So no, I wish nothing like this upon Rose as he may be my only chance to not see LeQueen, P.Piece, KG, Kobe, or Duncan win the championship. Otherwise it's a wrap.

This article is a few days old, and I had to go back and find it, but I think it fits here. It's food for thought on this Bulls team.
    --------------------------------------------------
    http://www.cbssports.com/nba/story/1...g-for-identity

Loss to Bulls leaves Celtics searching for identity

By Ken Berger
    CBSSports.com Senior Writer
    April 8, 2011

CHICAGO -- Somehow, the play that had the least to do with how the Bulls virtually eliminated the Celtics from contention for the No. 1 seed in the Eastern Conference on Thursday night sent Boston on a journey down what Rajon Rondo aptly described as the downhill slope of a roller coaster.

Sometimes, it's like that. An isolated moment turns a basketball game on its head, even if it was the least of the losing team's problems.

With about 9˝ minutes left, Derrick Rose beat Rondo to a loose ball, and missed a spot-up 3-pointer from 27 feet. Rondo, who had leaked out, caught an outlet pass and missed a layup. He got the ball back and had his shot blocked by Luol Deng. A demoralizing sequence, seeing as a basket there would've given the Celtics a one-point lead.

They never got any closer, never matched the Bulls' aggression and cohesion for more than a couple of possessions at a time. By the end of the quarter, the Bulls' one-point lead had grown to 11. In the end, with well-deserved MVP chants filling the United Center for Rose, Chicago beat Boston 97-81 to move within a game of clinching the No. 1 seed and homecourt advantage throughout the Eastern Conference playoffs.

"We've got to get some more fight in us," Kevin Garnett said.

"We need to look in the mirror and find out who we are," added Jeff Green.

What Celtics coach Doc Rivers sees in the mirror at the moment scares him. And it should. During their four-year run of relentless success, the Celtics have always been the team with no doubts about who and what they were. Until now. The Chicago team the Celtics ran into -- and got run over by -- Thursday night is the only team among the title contenders in the East with a firm grasp of its identity.

"They're playing harder than everybody else, with talent," Rivers said, before offering a nod to his former assistant, Bulls coach Tom Thibodeau. "I've had some teams, like the team in Orlando that played harder than everybody. But we didn't have Derrick Rose. They're playing harder than everybody, with talent. And I think that comes from Thibs, and I think that comes from Derrick Rose. I think it's those two guys that are driving their team."
    -------------------------------------------------------

If you want to read the full article go to the link, However, the above contains what I thought was the food for thought.

They had just ripped Boston in an important game. According to the article the Bulls play with aggression and cohesion, and they play harder than anyone else. Plus they will have the best player in the Pacers/Bulls series in Rose.
    ----------------------------------------------------------

I don’t think you took it far enough if we make it, "Derrick Rose vs the Indiana Pacers."
    Our victory against Chicago was because Rose didn't take over soon enough. As it was he needed a pair of controversial decisions from the referees to get it into overtime, and we didn't secure the win until he fouled out. The point being if he takes over earlier, Rose is going to win. And remember he said he “couldn’t wait to play us again.” So obviously he’s looking to take over sooner.

So what we need to do is foul him out sooner.

I advocate full court pressure on Rose all the time. Guard everyone but him, on the throw in so he has to take the ball and then pressure him full court. Then on offence give the ball to whoever Rose is guarding, and make him play defense every play. I know playing that way would be a gimmick, but I think we need one against Chicago and Rose.

Plus we have to play just as hard and match Chicago’s aggressiveness. As is, I don’t think we can match their cohesiveness, so it paramount we take away what makes them so cohesive, Rose. If we don’t, Chicago will run over us. We might win one game after they get a three game lead.

Our win against the Bulls also coincided with Boozer being out. And, IIRC, Noah had a poor game and/or was in foul trouble. Continuing with xIndyfan's line of thinking above, not only doesn't Boozer have to particularly struggle to defend our options at 4, I think both TH and JMac will likely struggle to defend his combo of height and bulk. If I'm the Bulls, I'm looking to to get Boozer off offensively early and often in the series.

Tyler and Josh will really have to play to their strengths and excel in order for us to have reasonable leverage in the matchup at the 4.

Our multitude of wings, but particularly Danny, will certainly have the opportunity to make a statement as to how good they are against Deng in a meaningful situation. Actually, what's impressed me most about Deng's improvement is his defense. I know the 3-pt and overall offensive consistency were imperative for him to get to the level they needed. But his D gave us fits even in our win at home. Another "long" player to contend with.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

In 98 the Bulls used Pippen to take away Mark Jackson. Can Paul George offer a similar hope? Rose's strengths and Jacksons' strengths are very different though.

I'm not sure why everyone thinks Boozer is going to be the difference maker. In the ONE matchup between Hansbrough and Boozer, Hansbrough was the better player and Boozer have 5 fouls. In the games when Boozer did play, we NEVER threw aTRUE J-Mac/Hansbrough rotation at him, and we was still relying heavily on James freaking Posey at the PF spot. Also, outside of Boozer and Noah, Chicago has no real depth at the PF/C spots. Our second unit frontcourt is hands down better than Chicago's.

Against the Pacers that ENDED the season, Chicago's starting 5 is going to have play big minutes and remarkable games every time to beat us. Now that I'm looking over everything...on paper, Pacers in 7 games. Our bench depth will be too much for Chicago over a long series. Chicago's only true chance at beating us is to take the first two games with authority which will impact mental confidence of our team. Otherwise, if Indiana establish any real confidence against Chicago, they will NOT beat us.

I'm calling it right now.

27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksuttonjr76 For This Useful Post:

i just have a gut feeling that DG33 is gonna light up. he has been waiting for this moment for a long time

30. The Following User Says Thank You to itzryan07 For This Useful Post:

Here's a simplistic strategy: leverage the abilities of the goon squad.

Assume that our starters (and theirs) will average 32 minutes, or 2/3 of the game. If we can stay within 10%, point-wise--about 6 or 7 points--then our bench needs to outscore theirs by at least 20%. If the starters are left in for 36 minutes (3/4 of the game) and lags 10% behind, then our bench will have to outscore theirs by 30%, i.e., make up those 6 or 7 points in 12 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by JB24 View Post
    And?

Indiana Pacer/Chicago Bulls Regular Season Series

PPG: 90.75
    FG%: 38%
    3PT%: 31.0%
    REB/GM: 45.75

Game 1 Game 2 Game 3 Game 4
    73 Points 86 Points 89 Points 115 Points
    35 FG% 32 FG% 40.7 FG% 43 FG%
    15 3PT% 38 3PT% 33.3 3PT% 38 3PT%
    41 Rebs 53 Rebs 39 Rebs 50 Rebs

Notice how we progressively played better with each Chicago game....

Food for thought...we averaged more FT attempts during the series than Chicago.
    Last edited by ksuttonjr76; 04-10-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, fair enough, but what is the game plan. How do we control Rose and more importantly how do we find a way to constantly score against the Bulls great defense. If we dont do either of those to a certain degree, we aren't winning
    That was just me living in my perfect world where everything is possible.

I know a lot of people take this team very seriously, but a little imagination and belief makes for a better experience while watching the game, imo.

If you ask me about this series realistically, I would tell you the goal is to win 1 game. Anything more than that is awesome.

As for the gameplan, I think you have to beat them at their own game. The Pacers will have to go out and match them in physical toughness. This includes dominating the boards at both sides, stopping easy points in the paint, interrupting the passing lanes, etc.

Many people have been talking about how to slow down or contain D Rose, but I don't think it can be done. The best thing you can do with him is to try and make him beat you, and not allow him to get everyone else involved.

We have been in playoff mode ever since the Bucks game, and hopefully this works out in our advantage.

This is basketball, anything is possible. Lets just enjoy the ride, and appreciate what the guys have done to renew Indiana Pacers basketball this year.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone thinks Boozer is going to be the difference maker. In the ONE matchup between Hansbrough and Boozer, Hansbrough was the better player and Boozer have 5 fouls. In the games when Boozer did play, we NEVER threw aTRUE J-Mac/Hansbrough rotation at him, and we was still relying heavily on James freaking Posey at the PF spot. Also, outside of Boozer and Noah, Chicago has no real depth at the PF/C spots. Our second unit frontcourt is hands down better than Chicago's.

Against the Pacers that ENDED the season, Chicago's starting 5 is going to have play big minutes and remarkable games every time to beat us. Now that I'm looking over everything...on paper, Pacers in 7 games. Our bench depth will be too much for Chicago over a long series. Chicago's only true chance at beating us is to take the first two games with authority which will impact mental confidence of our team. Otherwise, if Indiana establish any real confidence against Chicago, they will NOT beat us.

I'm calling it right now.
    Everyone thinks Boozer will be the difference maker? Everyone? That doesn't make sense in as much as a lot of us have already posted in this thread think Rose will be the difference.

And as for are second unit being better than Chicago's that really doesn't matter much. In the playoffs the first unit always plays a lot more minutes. I think you're counting chicken's in your analyse that will never hatch. I'm very agreeable to your being right though! Very agreeable!