Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Free Agents should we get?

Default Re: Which Free Agents should we get?

Quote Originally Posted by IU_sears View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Re-signing Dunleavy to a reasonable contract is a no-brainer in my opinion, unfortunately most people don't agree with me.

I think he enjoys playing here, and i know legend likes Mike's game... Secondly, anyone else find it interesting the team has been playing great with Dun back in the lineup???

He is a heady player that knows how to play the game... To me that is extremely valuable in today's NBA as these players are harder and harder to come by in the age of freakish athleticism.
    Nobody should disagree with bringing Dun back on a reasonable contract. He is a great wing off the bench. Probably better than most wings who are subs. I really think trying to sign him to a good contract is a no-brainer.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Nobody should disagree with bringing Dun back on a reasonable contract. He is a great wing off the bench. Probably better than most wings who are subs. I really think trying to sign him to a good contract is a no-brainer.
    I'd agree with this but he's worth about 3 mil as a reserve wing. If the CBA tightens less then that. I don't see him getting a lot of interest as a free agent so it should be possible to keep him on a cheap contract. If he wants anything more then this I'd be happy to let him walk, the Pacers have overpaid him for long enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Pacerized View Post
    I'd agree with this but he's worth about 3 mil as a reserve wing. If the CBA tightens less then that. I don't see him getting a lot of interest as a free agent so it should be possible to keep him on a cheap contract. If he wants anything more then this I'd be happy to let him walk, the Pacers have overpaid him for long enough.
    I couldnt agree more. He would be a nice luxury to have if not over-priced. But there is a line to draw and I am sure that management knows that if we do!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

If Tyson Chandler is signed Roy would have to be traded. He could not go to the bench. Chandler is a beast on the defensive end.
    They could trade Roy to a team like the Hawks and bring back this Josh Smith everybody seems to love along with another piece like Hinrich or Crawford. The Hawks would jump at that deal and the Pacers would improve 3 positions at once! I dont really want to trade Roy, but if we could get a defensive Center and upgrade 2 other positions I would seriously think about it!
    Trading Hibbert if Chandler were signed makes a lot of sense.

But better than that, I would definitely be very pleased if the Pacers were able to acquire Hinrich along with Smith. As far as I'm concerned, defensive PFs don't come any better than Smith, and Hinrich offers leadership along with a complete game at both ends of the floor. Hopefully, Hinrich could be extended a couple of years as part of the deal.

But a Chandler, Smith, Granger, Hinrich and George/Dunleavy lineup would do great. George is obviously the long-term solution, but Dunleavy's weaker man-on-man defensive skills would be covered up very well in this lineup.

Backup C, Starting SG, and backup PG are our biggest need. I say let our current starting 5 grow together. Personally, I would go after our own players in Josh McRoberts and Mike Dunleavy. I would make some type of trade that would involve Rush and D. Jones. The players I would go after...

Nenad Krstic
    Caron Butler (I would try him at the SG spot)
    J.R. Smith (Why not? Plus he's only 25)
    DeAndre Jordan (When have the Clippers ever resign anyone?)
    Mario Chalmers
    Jason Richardson
    Spencer Hawes
    Samuel Dalembert
    Chris Quinn
    Jose Juan Barea

Honestly, any trade attempts that I made would be to land a starting SG. I really hope that Indiana revisits the trade to acquire OJ Mayo.

I just feel this team needs to get bigger, stronger, and tougher - period. I dont see any physically imposing player on the roster. Even Roy at 7"2 gets pushed around. The 2000 team may not have had the athleticism this team has, but it was tougher by far. I like Vogel promoting a smash mouth brand of ball, I just dont think he has the horses to run that race!

Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    Trading Hibbert if Chandler were signed makes a lot of sense.

But better than that, I would definitely be very pleased if the Pacers were able to acquire Hinrich along with Smith. As far as I'm concerned, defensive PFs don't come any better than Smith, and Hinrich offers leadership along with a complete game at both ends of the floor. Hopefully, Hinrich could be extended a couple of years as part of the deal.

But a Chandler, Smith, Granger, Hinrich and George/Dunleavy lineup would do great. George is obviously the long-term solution, but Dunleavy's weaker man-on-man defensive skills would be covered up very well in this lineup.
    Ok sorry no it doesn't. This reasoning is so flawed I'm not sure if its even worth responding...

First Tyson is older and injury prone. The guy can be counted on to barely play 30 minutes. Expecting him to play 82 games every season is ridiculous. If we were to sign him and trade Hibbert, we'd suddenly lose our only legit low post threat. We'd also lose our shot blocking presence. In fact, adding Tyson, while losing Hibbert would almost be a negative in nearly every aspect of the game.

Now supposing we can think outside of our ESPN designed box, we'd realize signing Tyson and starting him at the 4 along with Hibbert would make us an excellent defense in the paint. But since Tyson plays the 5, and ESPN told us a long time ago that there is a massive difference between the nearly identical positions, we know this is unpossible.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    I would go:
    1.) Mayo- Youth factor and he's already good. Put him on this team and he averages around 16 PPG.
    2.) Jamal Crawford- He's better than Mayo, but age plays a role here and he'd get paid more than OJ does. Jamal has lost a step from last season too which is somewhat alarming. With that said, I would love Jamal here.
    3.) Jason Richardson- Great guy to come off of screens, doesn't need the ball to be effective, and is a good defender. Age and contract are concerns, and I don't know if he'd be too interested in coming here as he probably has large interest.
    4.) Stuckey- Just a ball player, but needs the ball in his hands and can't shoot.
    5.) The rest
    And then Paul George can develop in due time.

-Backup point guard spot. 36% shooting, 27% from three for a shooter, and 4.8 assists per 36 minutes is not getting it done for me. We need a defender and facilitator who can bring energy. Go after in no particular order:

Earl Watson (Solid defender and facilitator and can attack the basket. Plus he has already been here and he wouldn't command a lot of money)

Jordan Farmar (Just a ball player, good passer and shooter. He's not a FA but we could snag him if we get lucky)

Jarret Jack (Defender, energy, and shooting. Is capable of having big nights and he brings LEADERSHIP)

Or whoever. Just a better backup point guard.

-Power forward spot. Go after Josh Smith and try to pair him with Roy for next season. Do whatever it takes as long as we don’t lose Paul George, Roy Hibbert, or Danny Granger.

The reason that I don’t want to give any Granger up for him is because Smith is only locked up for two seasons after this one while Granger is locked up for three. And I think that Granger would come back once his contract is up and I'm not sure about Smith.

We want Smith to pair with Roy. If we trade Roy than that probably defeats the purpose of going after Smith. They go together like two peas in a pod. No homo.

George is going to be very good some day. Don’t lose him for a two year rental.

Smith is the DREAM guy to go with Hibbert. Just perfect. Put Smith on this team now and we automatically turn into a 50 win team because they are that good of a match. We are currently around a 44 win team since Vogel has taken over.

If Smith is not attainable, go after Zach Randolph in the summer. Great rebounder, and just a ball player. He's an all star caliber guy, and he might have some interest here if he doesn't sign an extension with Memphis.

I found this funny. Solid analysis though, even if I wouldn't ever want Randolph.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to spreedom For This Useful Post:

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Personally, I don't think the Pacers FO is really going to make a run at anyone in the Free Agent class. They are going to use their financial position to make a big trade. The Grizz want to keep Randolph and I think trading Mayo for a first round pick is ideal for them. This will allow them to pay more $ to keep him. Hopefully after getting Mayo, we look to trade for another PF because there are no good long term solutions in the Free Agency market. The only two I can see the Pacers having interest in is Jeff Green and Carl Landry, but thats IF there teams don't sign them. We are all hoping for Josh Smith and I think offering Rush, McBob in a S&T and two first round picks would be enough--This is best case scenario, but definetely possible to pull off
    Murph

Banned

Last edited by vnzla81; 04-10-2011 at 03:58 PM.

Sports Logo

I have 2 words for you, Mr. Kim Kardashian.

He'd be a solid replacement for Foster in the lineup.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Tyson Chandler can still play the 4. He'd be a good fit here, but I don't see Dallas letting him walk away.

There isn't much this offseason so I hope we don't settle.

I'd like to try and sign and trade for Eric Gordon in 2012.

I'll be happy with key trades for guys like Josh Smith.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

My list (in order of priority) would be:

Carl Landry
    Wilson Chandler
    David West
    Zach Randolph
    Nick Young
    Jason Richardson
    Thaddeus Young
    Tyson Chandler
    Luc Richard Mbah a Moute
    Jeff Green
    DeAndre Jordan

for those seriously suggesting trade hibbert, GTFO! jmo...

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    Ok sorry no it doesn't. This reasoning is so flawed I'm not sure if its even worth responding...

First Tyson is older and injury prone. The guy can be counted on to barely play 30 minutes. Expecting him to play 82 games every season is ridiculous. If we were to sign him and trade Hibbert, we'd suddenly lose our only legit low post threat. We'd also lose our shot blocking presence. In fact, adding Tyson, while losing Hibbert would almost be a negative in nearly every aspect of the game.

Now supposing we can think outside of our ESPN designed box, we'd realize signing Tyson and starting him at the 4 along with Hibbert would make us an excellent defense in the paint. But since Tyson plays the 5, and ESPN told us a long time ago that there is a massive difference between the nearly identical positions, we know this is unpossible.
    Okay. I think I would have to agree that parting with Roy and depending on Chandler is not a good idea.

However, I would NOT play Roy and Chandler together. Chandler just would not be a good presence away from the paint... at all.... on either end of the floor. I can agree with you that if you have a PF that is not good away from the paint, that your center and PF are interchangeable. But, if you begin to look at defending away from the basket, playing a PnR game and also playing a good mid-range game, you just are not going to find many, if any at all, true centers that have those skills. I don't need ESPN or anyone else to tell me this, it is something that is blatantly obvious.

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post

Anyone who doesnt look at Tyson Chandler as an upgrade over Hibbert is hopeless. Even if Roy develops better than we think he will never be better than Tyson. And as far as injury prone goes, Chandler has played over 70 games in 7 of the 10 years in the league. Thats not injury prone, it is pretty good for a physical Center. Of course Roy will play more because he is soft and will never challenge inside enough to get hurt in the first place.

If all of these players are to good to replace, why in the heck are they so far under 500? Why are they backing into a playing spot with a bad record? The bottom line is every position should be looked at because not one Pacer player is playing good enough to say his position cant get upgraded!

Anyone who doesnt look at Tyson Chandler as an upgrade over Hibbert is hopeless. Even if Roy develops better than we think he will never be better than Tyson. And as far as injury prone goes, Chandler has played over 70 games in 7 of the 10 years in the league. Thats not injury prone, it is pretty good for a physical Center. Of course Roy will play more because he is soft and will never challenge inside enough to get hurt in the first place.

If all of these players are to good to replace, why in the heck are they so far under 500? Why are they backing into a playing spot with a bad record? The bottom line is every position should be looked at because not one Pacer player is playing good enough to say his position cant get upgraded!
    Is this a serious question?

As to Chandler, while it's true he's played over 70 games in seven of ten seasons, before this season he played in 45 and 51 the previous two seasons. He's also approaching his 30s, a time when a player's durability is not likely to improve. He's absolutely an injury risk from this point forward. And I like Chandler a lot; it's just silliness to sign him (and the Mavs are likely to pay a lot, see every other center on the roster) and trade Hibbert (unless Hibbert nets something in return that shocks us).

As to your second paragraph, it's even sillier. No one on here is saying the Pacers shouldn't improve, they obviously should. That's what this entire thread is about. However, when looking to improve, you should first look to the positions that are most in need of upgrading. Center isn't one of those positions. Shooting guard, power forward, etc., are far higher on the list of needed upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    I wouldn't say GTFO...I'd say GTFO for what they're asking in return. I don't think anyone on this team is absolutely not tradeable. I do think that potential for growth, especially as a member of this Pacers squad, should be taken into strong consideration before signing off, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Exile on Pennsylvania View Post
    As to Chandler, while it's true he's played over 70 games in seven of ten seasons, before this season he played in 45 and 51 the previous two seasons. He's also approaching his 30s, a time when a player's durability is not likely to improve. He's absolutely an injury risk from this point forward. And I like Chandler a lot; it's just silliness to sign him (and the Mavs are likely to pay a lot, see every other center on the roster) and trade Hibbert (unless Hibbert nets something in return that shocks us).

As to your second paragraph, it's even sillier. No one on here is saying the Pacers shouldn't improve, they obviously should. That's what this entire thread is about. However, when looking to improve, you should first look to the positions that are most in need of upgrading. Center isn't one of those positions. Shooting guard, power forward, etc., are far higher on the list of needed upgrades.
    I understand concern about Tyson Chandler, but I would be concerned with a lot of players who get max deals (anyone say Joe Johnson?).
    It seems the only position that everyone on here wants to upgrade is PF. Tyler seems to be the only one not doing a good job. Want to upgrade Center - no way Roy will be a star; Want to upgrade SG, PG, SF = same thing. Every thread that mentions upgrading a position gets slammed except PF. I think this is ridiculous.
    I dont think its to unreasonable to look at all 5 positions , but if you think about bringin in Tyson Chandler, he will upgrade 2-3 positions at once. He will instantly upgrade the Center position and then Roy could be traded to fill a couple other needs as well. I cannot see Roy not bringing back at least 2 quality starters in a trade. If not, I wouldnt let him go!
    I am not advocating this, I am just bringing it up because this is a discussion board. This thread is for that reason!

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    Yes I wouldn't trade him.

Paul George, James Posey, Roy Hibbert, and Tyler Hansbrough are the players pretty much off limits.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by PR07 View Post
    I think Tyson Chandler can still play the 4. He'd be a good fit here, but I don't see Dallas letting him walk away.
    Tyson Chandler's body is going to give out on him in the near future. Some team is going to get stuck with too big a contract and a guy sitting in street clothes all season.
    <---- Hansbrough smiling in the training room after Gerald Henderson's cheap shot. UNC won the game, Tyler was happy so he took this picture. Roy Williams keeps it on his desk.

Sports Logo

For those that think that we can make a run at Josh Smith, what do you think that we have that the Hawks would be interested in?

Granger is probably the most likely candidate that would be included....mainly for the level of talent that the Hawks would need back...but realistically, I don't see how getting another scorer would help the Hawks....if they move Josh Smith....they will desperately need some Big Man help....especially at the Center spot...not at the SF spot.

My total guess is that if the Hawks were interested in moving Josh Smith....they'd likely ask for Hibbert and Hansbrough and not Granger.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-11-2011 at 02:40 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    For those that think that we can make a run at Josh Smith, what do you think that we have that the Hawks would be interested in?

Granger is probably the most likely candidate that would be included....mainly for the level of talent that the Hawks would need back...but realistically, I don't see how getting another scorer would help the Hawks....if they move Josh Smith....they will desperately need some Big Man help....especially at the Center spot...not at the SF spot.

My total guess is that if the Hawks were interested in moving Josh Smith....they'd likely ask for Hibbert and Hansbrough and not Granger.
    I think you might be right about that. They need a true Center not a SF.
    As far as our need goes, I dont see us really needing Josh Smith as much as Horford. I dont think we need another small power forward. If we go after a big (and I assume we will), it needs to be a guy who can play both the 4-5. Thats why I would rather have Horford. But I really dont see Atlanta getting rid of either one unless they get a true Center in return.
    Personally, I think Hibbert has more value than Smith. So no way I would even consider throwing in Hans.