Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Which Free Agents should we get?

Default Re: Which Free Agents should we get?

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have 2 words for you, Mr. Kim Kardashian.

He'd be a solid replacement for Foster in the lineup.
    lol! we should put in the contract clause- if and only if they stay together

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    for those seriously suggesting trade hibbert, GTFO! jmo...
    for once we agree on something

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    For those that think that we can make a run at Josh Smith, what do you think that we have that the Hawks would be interested in?
    .... the ability to not send them money back.

They have near 70 million dollars in salary in 7 players for next year. If the new CBA doesn't get rid of the luxury tax, they'll be most assuredly in it. They still need to sign 8 more players. This is a team that is 22nd in attendance and even when they've been highly successful they still had money problems. Atlanta has never fully supported that team.

At some point, something has got to give, and teams aren't going to trade for Joe Johnson's contract. Horford is someone they value more than Josh Smith, and nobody else on their team makes enough money to really make a difference. Unless they can trade Marvin Williams and his 7 million dollar contract.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    They have near 70 million dollars in salary in 7 players for next year.
    I keep hearing this but I'd like specifics. Who are these seven players and what are their contracts? Just wondering...I'm not challenging the info, just interested in the specifics of it. If someone could post it or provide a link to the info I'd greatly appreciate it.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    I keep hearing this but I'd like specifics. Who are these seven players and what are their contracts? Just wondering...I'm not challenging the info, just interested in the specifics of it. If someone could post it or provide a link to the info I'd greatly appreciate it.
    I hadn't looked it up since the trade deadline, looks like they shaved 3 million off for next year from their trade. I recall it being 67-68 million.

Regardless, it's still stupid high.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...ries/hawks.jsp

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    I hadn't looked it up since the trade deadline, looks like they shaved 3 million off for next year from their trade. I recall it being 67-68 million.

Regardless, it's still stupid high.

http://www.shamsports.com/content/pa...ries/hawks.jsp
    It's really not that different from this year. This year they have $64 million tied up in their top seven salaries, next year they $65.7. Obviously this depends on a new CBA and salary cap but potentially they COULD use the same strategy as this year and fill out the remainder of their roster with league minimum players. Josh Smith appears to be more of a pipe dream in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    Yes I wouldn't trade him.

Paul George, James Posey, Roy Hibbert, and Tyler Hansbrough are the players pretty much off limits.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Professor S View Post
    It's really not that different from this year. This year they have $64 million tied up in their top seven salaries, next year they $65.7. Obviously this depends on a new CBA and salary cap but potentially they COULD use the same strategy as this year and fill out the remainder of their roster with league minimum players. Josh Smith appears to be more of a pipe dream in my opinion.
    I'm thinking along your lines here and don't think that Josh Smith is a realistic option as I don't think that ( short of Hibbert ) we have any assets that we'd be willing to give up in order to get him EVEN if we simply absorb his contract without sending something back ( since there are a small handful of Teams that are below the Cap as well ).

However, the reverse argument can be that if the Hawks don't advance beyond Dwight Howard with the current core of 6 or 7 Players ( including Josh Smith )...which is possible.....then it's unlikely that "standing pat" is going to get them any further then how they did this season. The problem...IMHO...is that they have 2 PFs in the Frontcourt...where neither are really suitable to be Starting Centers. Unless they are desperate to get under the SalaryCap under the new CBA ( which is possible )....I don't see the Hawks moving Josh Smith to another "young and upcoming Team" like the Pacers in the same Conference.
    Last edited by CableKC; 04-11-2011 at 05:11 PM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

As much as I want to believe getting Josh Smith is a realistic option, I really don't see Atlanta trading him. Since we can't get him, who do you guys think we make a run at as far as trading for a big guy who is playing at a high level? My next guess would be Al Jefferson. Mainly because Utah already has some young big guys on their team. Jefferson is the most expensive by far and I think Utah, who is in rebuilding mode, would take back a Rush+McBob+draft picks for him in order to shed his salary. Other than Jefferson, I really don't know who to aim for. Don't think Landry is worth giving a big contract to and I think Boston is going to keep Jeff Green. David West? He's already 30. It is slim pickings right now at the PF spot. What do you guys think
    Murph

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    As much as I want to believe getting Josh Smith is a realistic option, I really don't see Atlanta trading him. Since we can't get him, who do you guys think we make a run at as far as trading for a big guy who is playing at a high level? My next guess would be Al Jefferson. Mainly because Utah already has some young big guys on their team. Jefferson is the most expensive by far and I think Utah, who is in rebuilding mode, would take back a Rush+McBob+draft picks for him in order to shed his salary. Other than Jefferson, I really don't know who to aim for. Don't think Landry is worth giving a big contract to and I think Boston is going to keep Jeff Green. David West? He's already 30. It is slim pickings right now at the PF spot. What do you guys think
    I don't mind making a run on JRich ( as our Starting SG ), Humphries ( as our backup Center ) and then waiting it out to see what ( if any ) Starting quality PFs become available via Trade.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by PacerPride33 View Post
    How about we keep the PFs we got now? That sounds like a better plan to me. We're not hurting at the PF spot.

My Wish List in this order:

1. SG - Jason Richardson

2. PF - Josh Smith

3. PG - Raymond Felton

4. PF - (Backup) Reggie Evans/Chuck Hayes
    Last edited by QuickRelease; 04-12-2011 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ksuttonjr76 View Post
    How about we keep the PFs we got now? That sounds like a better plan to me. We're not hurting at the PF spot.
    I agree, we only need a PF if Josh leaves. If we can keep him without paying a bundle, we are set there for years. How many teams won anything when they paid tens of millions to a PF anyway? They need to be blue collar/defensive studs like the Davis boys were!

If McBob leaves via free agency, we really need to replace him with someone who can play the 4-5. Not a small PF/SF type like Josh Smith (IMO).
    Someone needs to look up how many guys like that will be on the market and how many might be available via trades!

Quote Originally Posted by Doddage View Post
    I am 100% not serious.

I was waiting for someone to question that.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

I want Josh Smith and Eric Gordon.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Quote Originally Posted by Scot Pollard View Post
    I want Josh Smith and Eric Gordon.
    I would like Eric Gordon if he could stay healthy and play a little better defense (and grow 2-3 inches). I like him but we would have the smallest back court in the NBA by far.

What about, saving money, and maybe getting Chris Paul, and Kevin Love next year? This year if we got rid of all our free agents (Solomon Jones, Jeff Foster, Josh McRoberts, T.J. Ford, and Mike Dunleavy) we would have around 26 million. Right now Kevin Love is getting paid around 5 million, and Chris Paul is getting paid 15 million. They are both free agents in 2012, and both under 26 years old. Charles Barkley even said on tnt yesterday talking about how if you would have put a star on our team, since we dont have one it would be a good team because we have so many good surrounding players, What you think?

I also would be interested in (First 2 may not be liked, but more of players i like) JJ Barea, Ricky Rubio, and Eric Gordon.