Thread: Vecsey on Walsh, Calipari, Vogel and other coaching news

Default Vecsey on Walsh, Calipari, Vogel and other coaching news

Only a very small note on Vogel, most of his column is on the Knicks

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knick...mW3ClIRtwkNI/1

Kentucky coach may be on Knicks' radar

By PETER VECSEY
    Last Updated: 9:07 AM, April 8, 2011
    Posted: 2:47 AM, April 8, 2011

James Dolan's reluctance to pick up Knicks president Donnie Walsh's $5 million option for next season the moment the team qualified for the playoffs says it all about where this shadowy situation is headed.

Instead of earning as little as that requisite reward from his boss (though a multi-year extension offer certainly wouldn't have been unreasonable), the person most responsible for reviving the franchise's relevance got the silent treatment and the cold shoulder, at least for public consumption.

I'm sure (well, maybe) Dolan thanked Walsh for reversing the depressing talk of the town within three years of becoming Knicks president. But not doing something definitive cheapened the accomplishment.

Instead of showering Walsh with love, Dolan has doused him with disrespect . . . regardless of how things turn out in the end. Should the Knicks make a second-round indentation or beyond it'd be next to impossible, even for someone as arrogant and obdurate as Dolan, not to allow Walsh to finish what he started three seasons ago.

Yet, at this point in time, the smart money is betting parting gifts already have been picked out that will compensate Walsh suitably for having his authority usurped on a regular basis, enduring the indignity of almost being force-fed Isiah Thomas as general manager, and theoretically keeping his lips sealed for x-amount of years.

It's time to go to your pocket or purse and start fingering your rosary beads to help Walsh pray a valuable package is looming. Because, really, if not for the millions, who needs to have Thomas lurking in every Garden cubbyhole, nook and cranny?

Then again, when the obvious becomes obvious to one and all, it's often wise to go the other way to see if there's someone significantly obscure (or not) hiding in the suns' glare.

Thomas might want to down a Lunesta before reading further. Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni, too.

According to a team executive, who knows a thing or two about a thing or two regarding goings-on behind the screens, Dolan may have eyes for John Calipari . . . to run the front office and coach.

Do I have confirmation on this? No. I unsuccessfully reached out to Calipari and left a message.

Does it make sense? Yes, especially in view of Dolan's disinclination to do right by Walsh.

We're talking about a marquee college coach fresh from another Final Four, who owns pro experience (some of it good with the Nets), is an outstanding recruiter (though the NBA's salary cap may limit that impact), and relates remarkably well with young black players.

What's more, Calipari is represented by William (World Wide) Wesley, who works for Creative Artists Agency, Hollywood's most powerful entertainment agency. One of its many patrons is Chris Paul, who figures to be on the market within a matter of months. Wesley also reps Mark Warkentien, current part-time Knicks scout and former Nuggets' vice president; it's felt he'd caddy for Cal in the office.

Last year at this time, fictitious reports surfaced that Wesley was shopping Calipari and LeBron James, another CAA client, as a package to the Bulls. Reporters assume Wesley has the juice to pull something like that off. He doesn't and he didn't.

His agency, on the other hand, does, and the Garden, looking to load up on its concert talent and collaborate on other ventures, appears to be building a binding relationship. Whether Calipari is part of those chummy dealings is strictly conjecture . . . so far.

While on the subject of prospective goings and comings, the coaching carousel is in danger of developing some airliner type cracks from overuse over the next 16 weeks.

Fifteen almost assuredly will be back with their current teams -- Gregg Popovich, George Karl, Nate McMillan, Tom Thibodeau, Scott Skiles, Lionel Hollins, Avery Johnson, Scott Brooks, Paul Silas, Monty Williams, Bryon Scott, Alvin Gentry, Vinny Del Negro and Ty Corbin.

The remaining half have given notice (Phil Jackson), are on unspoken notice should their teams fail to meet expectations, or are in jeopardy to be served evictions notices.

Virtually guaranteed to go are the Pistons' John Kuester, the Timberwolves' Kurt Rambis, the Hawks' Larry Drew (unless his team pulls a first-round upset, and even then I see it heppening), the Pacers' Frank Vogel (same-same), the Warriors' Keith Smart, the Wizards' Flip Saunders and the Raptors' Jay Triano, particularly if Bryan Colangelo doesn't get a new deal -- and maybe even if he does despite adhering to an agreed-upon plan by those in charge to play almost exclusively young.

Paul Westphal, not that he deserves to be fired, might have saved his Kings job by winning some games the last couple of weeks. The fact is, he ought to get a raise for having to put up every day with DeMarcus Cousins' antics, said to be much worse than advertised.

We've already mentioned D'Antoni's uncertain circumstances. Rick Adelman, in spite of a superlative showing minus Yao Ming, is giving no indication he wants back with the Rockets.

Your guess is as good as mine regarding what happens to Erik Spoelstra (Heat), Stan Van Gundy (Magic), and Rick Carlisle (Mavericks) should their respective teams distribute playoff shares in April, early May or even later in the month.

In that same vein, should the Celtics, showing my age, check into assisted living rather than The Finals, it's a given Doc Rivers will take next season off.

Who are the most eligible replacements? Mark Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Brown, Mike Dunleavy, Brian Shaw, Sam Mitchell, Darrell Walker, Mike Woodson, Dwane Casey, Adrian Dantley, Mike Budenholzer, Steve Clifford, Dan Majerle, Patrick Ewing, Chuck Person, Chris Jent, Dean Demopoulos, Alex English, Sam Cassell and Mario Elie. And, of, course, a few fired coaches will be recycled.

peter.vecsey@nypost.com

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Vecsey on Walsh, Calipari, Vogel and other coaching news

I think the main reason Vogel wouldn't be retained is this:

His assistant coaches. Does he have the experience or pull to bring in key assistants if Bird doesn't think our current coaches are good enough?

Sports Logo

I agree with most of what he says....but isn't Vescey a friend of Walsh and hence a little biased in this situation?
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've never been a big fan of Vescey. He's one of the more irresponsible columnists around the league even though he's one of the biggest names.
    Grown Man Ball

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Rick Adelman, in spite of a superlative showing minus Yao Ming, is giving no indication he wants back with the Rockets.
    ^^^I would love it if we could jump all over this^^^

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Slick Pinkham For This Useful Post:

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

JMV started talking about Frank yesterday & "what it would take" to insure he is back. IMO, next to nothing! By that, I meas next to nothing to "insure" he is back, but there is no question he gets an interview & is in the discussion.

The Pacers are in a position they have never been in before nor has many before them - as they will have a world of cap space, & every coach, every exec. is up as well. Herb has a clean slate, from the top down, in which to work. It is said/assumed that Larry has an open invite, but no assurances. IMO there is little-to-no chance Frank is back if Larry is gone, and untill we know about Larry it is way too soon to think about Frank.

As mentioned in the article, there will be a lot of openings this off season. If Phil & Doc walk, there is two (though Shaw is a near lock for LAL), ATL is an interesting roster (though the ownership is messed), Minny's young talent might have appeal (if Kahn were gone), and Hou would draw interest if Adelman does not want to continue there. Many here have focused in on M.Brown, but we will likely not have the roster with the most appeal. I could see Brown in Boston, can't you? And again, so much relies on Larry and his decision. Anyone other then Larry brings in "his guy". Untill we know that, it is all speculation.

If we go young at coach (I think we will), I could be OK with Franky V coming back, but also am intrigued by P.Ewing - he has put in his time & I'd love to see him work w/ Roy. I'm open to C.Person (though I never considered him till P.Jackson started talking him up) or M.Jackson (though I HATE his refusal to spend a yr learning from a bench!). Brown is a nice mix of old school who can relate, so I like him OK, but if we go that way, IMO we almost need a "D.Collins/ Hubbie Brown-type, a vet who gets his teams to play hard & over acheive, though I am not seeing any, nor am I suggesting L.Brown (too negative, needs vets).

When we hear from Larry, we can start talking, but untill then enjoy a short playoff series and a VERY LONG offseason.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

10. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerGuy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

I'll 2nd that motion!

I'd agree, if Larry Bird doesn't come back, Vogel doesn't have a shot. However, i think Vogel should get a lead assistant or an Associate Head Coach job pretty easily somewhere next year.

If Bird stays, I think

1.) It completely depends on who is courting who in the as a coaching prospect. If retreads are left and there isn't a premier coach available, I could easily see Vogel as the Plan B. I'd actually prefer it, honestly.

2.) I wouldn't rule an out of nowhere guy, like a Bird buddy. McHale or what about Carlise if he is let go in Dallas if they get an early exit again.

3.) Plan A has to be Mike Brown, though, the relationship is there. He's a Bird type coach in demeanor and is young, while having experience.

If Bird leaves, I think..

1.) This is a really attractive job for a GM, young nucleus, all future picks intact, cap room galore.

2.) Possibly a GM/Coach, where a guy can buy the groceries and cook them. I think thats really rare and you would need a big time Morway and a big time lead assistant, but I can't help but wonder if your big time guys would go for something like this. This scenario not likely, but something you could consider. Stan Van Gundy or Jerry Sloan, just to throw some names out there

3.) Kevin Pritchard/Nate McMillan - easy connect the dots thing, but Pritchards eye for talent seems pretty good and he's super agressive from what I understand. McMillan I think is a hard...nosed guy, so who knows. I like that kind of coach, but I don't know how it impacts young players and chemistry.

4.) Donnie Walsh - I mean he's patient and deliberate. Not his first rodeo. He understands the league, market, and ownership. I know the debate on here about him and I understand it. Not sure who he'd want to bring in as a coach, but Mullin has been mentioned, I could also see Mark Jackson.

Of course you can't play all of the scenarios out, but I could see any of these as possibilties.

I'd guess they'd want someone in place for sure before the draft at the end of June. Honestly, I'm not sure you have to, unless you get a system guy who isn't flexible enough to build around his talent, which I'm rooting against.

IMHO, I'm with keeping Bird and paying for Mike Brown, if it all worked out. I'd do that and not look back.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Wake me up next season.
    Mood

Sports Logo

I like Coach Vogel and what he has done so far. If it becomes obvious during this
    playoff run that the players fight tooth & nail to win and make a good showing,
    then would like to see Coach Vogel return to continue building upon progress
    already made.

To h*** with Vecsey's opinion.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RamBo_Lamar For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Yeah, if Adelman decides (I don't get it, by the way) he doesn't want to be in Houston anymore, I'd certainly hope we give him a strong consideration. Always seemed like a really good coach.

Although I have to ask: Doesn't his offense involve high-post big men? At least that's what I saw a lot in Sacramento, but then again that was with Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, and later Brad Miller, who all would be best served there.

Other than that Rick, that would be interesting if Rick Carlisle was suddenly available again. I'm not 100% in love with the guy, but we could do a LOT worse. And this time, he wouldn't have to babysit the entire roster.

I'd still welcome Mike Brown as well.

Banned

Bird or whoever is the next GM please say NO to another Dunleavy

Custom User Titleist
    Another dimension, a dimension not only of sight and sound, but of mind.
    Mood

Maybe the Pacers would want a combo front office coaching option of MD Sr., and as a result might be able to sign MD Jr. to a less expensive contract as a result of family loyalties, and then be able to afford to keep another young rising talent player longer and possibly even be able to afford a big man coach to come in and work with Hibbert on a consistent basis?

Or, maybe Carlisle would thank Larry for allowing him to not have to endure the last few years and agree to come back here with a potentially very bright future?

Or, maybe, just maybe, Vogel is not nearly as likely to be leaving as Vescey speculates.

Just making the playoffs with a team that probably would have struggled to win more than 30 games at the rate things deteriorated should give Vogel at least a fighting chance to stay on, depending on what behind the scenes dealings have been going on in whatever coaching search might already be taking place, if there have been any.

Vogel has done a great job giving the younger guys a postive mindset and put this team back in the right direction.

I wouldn't be against removing the interim tag from Vogel, but I think we need to look at all of our other options including former coaches and other assistant coaches. Vogel is most likely going to be getting an interview.

The one guy I don't want us getting is Mike Dunleavy, Sr. He never got it done with the Clippers and did pretty much nothing as their head coach. He seemed more of a place holder, IMO and we're gonna need someone who's gonna disclipine this team.

I like some of the eligible replacements named such as Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Brown, Brian Shaw (although he's more than likely going to become the next Lakers head coach), Mike Woodson, and even Dean Demopoulos who played a huge role for the Trail Blazers when Nate McMillan hurt himself last year and he had to step in and take over for a little bit.

I don't know what the other coaches can do for us, but there's not too many bad choices and Vogel being one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Yeah, if Adelman decides (I don't get it, by the way) he doesn't want to be in Houston anymore, I'd certainly hope we give him a strong consideration. Always seemed like a really good coach.

Although I have to ask: Doesn't his offense involve high-post big men? At least that's what I saw a lot in Sacramento, but then again that was with Chris Webber, Vlade Divac, and later Brad Miller, who all would be best served there.

Other than that Rick, that would be interesting if Rick Carlisle was suddenly available again. I'm not 100% in love with the guy, but we could do a LOT worse. And this time, he wouldn't have to babysit the entire roster.

I'd still welcome Mike Brown as well.
    Adelman is a very good, very experienced NBA coach. But IMO he does not emphasize defense enough and he plays his starters and stars too many minutes. I would rather have Mike Brown

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Adelman, Carlisle, or Mike Brown would all be fine choices for me.

I change my mind all the time, but I think Adelman is the one that fits the best with where we are as a franchise right now. Brown isn't far behind him. I love the way our young talent fits into Adelman's system, and he has a great staff of assistants as well. He also has some connections in our front office so I could definitely see him being the guy.

As far as Frank Vogel, I think we need something Frank can't give us right now. Don't get me wrong, he has done an absolutely stellar job with this team. But I just think they will look for someone with more experience and an impressive resume to try and create some buzz in this town.

I would also love to see Donnie back. I think he is just flat out the best GM we could get by a large margin. People love to criticize Donnie for the problems we've had. But they always forget that the team he assembled going in to the year of the brawl, was by far the most talented team the Pacers had ever had in their entire NBA history. He picked this franchise out of the gutter and turned into an annual playoff team that made a lot of noise. He made some errors in judgement, no doubt about it. But he rebuilt an aging playoff team on the fly brilliantly. And he turned that squad into one of the top 5 teams in the entire league in terms of talent level in just a few short years.

Mood

Another thing I'd worry about with Rick is his teams (in SAC) seemed to be more finesse than 'smashmouth'. That might not be a good mixture.

Tree People to the Core! indygeezer's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

So now we're bringing back Walsh AND Carlisle???

WHo next? ............ NO! Do Not Say It.
    If you get to thinkin’ you’re a person of some influence, try orderin’ somebody else’s dog around..

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just don't see Carlisle losing his job this season.

Mike Brown is at the top of my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Taterhead View Post
    I would also love to see Donnie back. I think he is just flat out the best GM we could get by a large margin. People love to criticize Donnie for the problems we've had. But they always forget that the team he assembled going in to the year of the brawl, was by far the most talented team the Pacers had ever had in their entire NBA history. He picked this franchise out of the gutter and turned into an annual playoff team that made a lot of noise. He made some errors in judgement, no doubt about it. But he rebuilt an aging playoff team on the fly brilliantly. And he turned that squad into one of the top 5 teams in the entire league in terms of talent level in just a few short years.

What you aren't mentioning is Walsh had the Pacers over the LT at 83 mil by overpaying players such as JO, Tinsley, Cro, and Bender. This saddled the Pacers for years as to what they could do. Then Walsh took on the albatross contracts of Murphy and Dunleavy that tied the hands for 4 years. The Pacers are just NOW getting out from under Tinsley and Dunleavy's contracts at season end after shedding Murphy's.

Bird cleans up Walsh's mess, and you want Walsh back. Thanks but NO THANKS. Been there done that. Walsh isn't the best GM propect nor is he needed again in the Pacers FO. The Walsh legacy is dead and over, so lets keep it that way! He's better needed at home with his family and dogs.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Mood

Who are the most eligible replacements? Mark Jackson, Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Brown, Mike Dunleavy, Brian Shaw, Sam Mitchell, Darrell Walker, Mike Woodson, Dwane Casey, Adrian Dantley, Mike Budenholzer, Steve Clifford, Dan Majerle, Patrick Ewing, Chuck Person, Chris Jent, Dean Demopoulos, Alex English, Sam Cassell and Mario Elie. And, of, course, a few fired coaches will be recycled.
    Of this list, give me JVG and Patrick Ewing as a big man's coach, or keep Vogel and see who he can bring in to work on defense. Virtually no one else interests me. I know Mark Jackson wants to jump straight into a HC position, but if he'd come to the Pacers and be on the staff, he'd be great for Collison. Their games are different, but if he could teach DC how to be a real floor leader, it would be worth it without question.
    BLUE COLLAR GOLD SWAGGER

@The_Real_CJake

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    I'd agree, if Larry Bird doesn't come back, Vogel doesn't have a shot. However, i think Vogel should get a lead assistant or an Associate Head Coach job pretty easily somewhere next year.

If Bird stays, I think

1.) It completely depends on who is courting who in the as a coaching prospect. If retreads are left and there isn't a premier coach available, I could easily see Vogel as the Plan B. I'd actually prefer it, honestly.

2.) I wouldn't rule an out of nowhere guy, like a Bird buddy. McHale or what about Carlise if he is let go in Dallas if they get an early exit again.

3.) Plan A has to be Mike Brown, though, the relationship is there. He's a Bird type coach in demeanor and is young, while having experience.

If Bird leaves, I think..

1.) This is a really attractive job for a GM, young nucleus, all future picks intact, cap room galore.

2.) Possibly a GM/Coach, where a guy can buy the groceries and cook them. I think thats really rare and you would need a big time Morway and a big time lead assistant, but I can't help but wonder if your big time guys would go for something like this. This scenario not likely, but something you could consider. Stan Van Gundy or Jerry Sloan, just to throw some names out there

3.) Kevin Pritchard/Nate McMillan - easy connect the dots thing, but Pritchards eye for talent seems pretty good and he's super agressive from what I understand. McMillan I think is a hard...nosed guy, so who knows. I like that kind of coach, but I don't know how it impacts young players and chemistry.

4.) Donnie Walsh - I mean he's patient and deliberate. Not his first rodeo. He understands the league, market, and ownership. I know the debate on here about him and I understand it. Not sure who he'd want to bring in as a coach, but Mullin has been mentioned, I could also see Mark Jackson.

Of course you can't play all of the scenarios out, but I could see any of these as possibilties.

I'd guess they'd want someone in place for sure before the draft at the end of June. Honestly, I'm not sure you have to, unless you get a system guy who isn't flexible enough to build around his talent, which I'm rooting against.

IMHO, I'm with keeping Bird and paying for Mike Brown, if it all worked out. I'd do that and not look back.
    I'm in favor of plan b.....rebuild the culture from the ground up starting with the FO.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Count me in favor of plan A.
    Keep Bird in charge along with the front office.
    Hire the best coach posssible and for my money it's Sloan if he's interested.
    Then make the most of our salary position as it plays into the new cba. Either bring in the free agent that no one else can afford or help out another team that can't adhere to the new cba by taking on a highly paid top talent for very little in return other then taking on the salary.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Pacerized For This Useful Post:

My number 1 choice is Mike Woodson.

The fact that he was able to turn around that Hawks team was great and he did a good job getting them into the playoffs and having success.

They were better off keeping him instead of naming Larry Drew their coach.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!