Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Allen Iverson to police: 'Do you know who I am?'

Banned

Lightbulb Allen Iverson to police: 'Do you know who I am?'

Allen Iverson to police: 'Do you know who I am?' - CNN.com

Quote Originally Posted by Katie Glaeser, CNN
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Atlanta (CNN) -- Former NBA star Allen Iverson launched an expletive-ridden tirade against police when a car belonging to him was pulled over for a traffic violation last week, at one point telling the officer, "Take the vehicle, I have 10 more," according to a police report.

Iverson, 35, was a passenger in a grey Lamborghini, spied by an Atlanta officer changing lanes without signaling about 6 p.m. on March 30, according to the police report obtained by CNN.

The driver, identified in the report as Antwuan Clisby, couldn't produce any documentation for the vehicle, the report said. He then told the officer his passenger needed to leave the vehicle to eat dinner, and the officer said no one was leaving until the investigation was complete.

With that, Iverson became "irate," according to the police report, saying, "I'm the (expletive) passenger." The officer radioed for backup, and a second unit arrived, according to the report. Clisby and Iverson were asked to exit the vehicle, while Iverson continued to curse at the officer, the report said.

When police scanned the identification number of the vehicle, which belongs to Iverson, it was found to have tags that expired in 2009. Iverson, former MVP for the Philadelphia 76ers, was told his car would be towed.

"Take the vehicle, I have 10 more," Iverson said, according to the report. "Police don't have anything else (expletive) to do except (expletive) with me." He then asked, "Do you know who I am?"

The officer wrote in his report that "For the next 20 minutes, Mr. Iverson went on and on about who he was. I stated to Mr. Iverson, 'It really doesn't matter who you are. You tried to conceal your vehicle with a fake drive-out tag due to you not paying for your tags.' "

Iverson then said, "I make more money than you will in 10 years," according to the report.

Clisby, the driver, asked the officers, "Would you want to pay $10,000 for a tag?" the report said.

The car was towed, and Iverson later "came back and apologized for disrespecting the police," according to the police report. "He stated he was just upset about his car."

Clisby was cited for failure to signal while changing lanes and the expired tag, the report said.

Default Re: Allen Iverson to police: 'Do you know who I am?'

Is it common practice to put all of that detail into a report when nobody is arrested and it would appear the majority of the detail is about someone who didn't even get a ticket?

Is it a common practice to even have a police report in this circumstance?

Oh well... It's Allen Iverson so it's hard to care too much...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Is it common practice to put all of that detail into a report when nobody is arrested and it would appear the majority of the detail is about someone who didn't even get a ticket?
    I used to work at a Kinkos-type place that had a fax machine where people could pay us to fax stuff for them. Usually it was pretty boring but one time a guy came in and had me fax some stuff to his lawyer. As the papers were going through the fax machine I read through them and they were from a police report, written in extreme detail, about the guy and his friends getting pulled over for a DUI. It was written really dry like a police report but you could tell the cop loved writing it.

"Driver was visibly upset and began crying when asked to step out of the vehicle. Passengers also began crying after exiting vehicle. Officers tried to question driver and passengers but were unable to due to crying."

It was almost impossible for me to keep a straight face when I gave the guy back his papers.

Got pulled over for changing lanes without signaling? They were ****ing with him.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redfoster For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yea, if police pulled over every person on the highway who was changing lanes without signaling, no one would ever get anywhere.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Banned

I would like to see a photo of Antuan Clisby.

DWB?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I hate to say it..I know he was pulled over for a legit reason but I still love it...I can't stand the police, more often times than not, they ARE crooked but if you've never dabbled on that side of life, you might not know it.....I hate the fact that everything we do has to be tagged or have a "number" and they can take our property from us..I've always hated that side of government so to hear him say, "tow it, I got 10 more", makes me lol, because where I live, the police constantly taught u, assuming that you can't afford anything and don't know anything....

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I-75/I-85 is a major drug running corridor. Lamborghini with dealer temporary plate (meaning it is unidentifiable) ... you dam betcha they'll find a reason to pull it over to check it out.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

Mood

'Do you know who I am?'
    The Juggernaut, *****?

13. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    I-75/I-85 is a major drug running corridor. Lamborghini with dealer temporary plate (meaning it is unidentifiable) ... you dam betcha they'll find a reason to pull it over to check it out.
    If that is a base reason, then it's even more silly

I you were running drugs you'd probably use a 2 year old prius in prime condition, with some kids on the backseat.

You dont normally carry kilo's of illegal substance in a Lambo with temp plates.

My guess is they just wanted to "teach the lambo-biatch a lesson.

As was posted previously; you can stop 95% of the cars on motorways worldwide
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    I used to work at a Kinkos-type place that had a fax machine where people could pay us to fax stuff for them. Usually it was pretty boring but one time a guy came in and had me fax some stuff to his lawyer. As the papers were going through the fax machine I read through them and they were from a police report, written in extreme detail, about the guy and his friends getting pulled over for a DUI. It was written really dry like a police report but you could tell the cop loved writing it.

"Driver was visibly upset and began crying when asked to step out of the vehicle. Passengers also began crying after exiting vehicle. Officers tried to question driver and passengers but were unable to due to crying."

It was almost impossible for me to keep a straight face when I gave the guy back his papers.
    But in that case there was an actual arrest and things like the crying would actually be argued to show intoxication.

This was just a ticket... and according to the article the ticket was written to the driver (which wasn't Iverson). So why the lengthy report detailing Iverson's actions? And again, according to the article Iverson ultimately apologized to the officers which in the end made this a giant non-story.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    I you were running drugs you'd probably use a 2 year old prius in prime condition, with some kids on the backseat.

You dont normally carry kilo's of illegal substance in a Lambo with temp plates.
    You'd be surprised how many of the ... shall we say "non professionals" ... get a case of Teh Stupids when they get their first taste of big money.

There have been a number of fancy car big score busts in the Atlanta area over the years.

That said, though, busting the chops of the Lambo Beyatch is not beyond the Atlanta Popo...
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"

btw Bill, when you lived in Atl, you ever ran into Mike Storen or met up in another way ??
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    DWB?
    I dont think so

Atlanta is predominatly black and they have black universities there and plenty of well to do black families

I guess its always a possibility, but on this one I say no
    Sittin on top of the world!

We all know who you are, Allen. We just don't care.

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    I dont think so

Atlanta is predominatly black and they have black universities there and plenty of well to do black families

I guess its always a possibility, but on this one I say no
    They still have a lot of DWB depending on where you are. It's more integrated than Indy but there are still enclaves, if you will.
    BillS

Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    They still have a lot of DWB depending on where you are. It's more integrated than Indy but there are still enclaves, if you will.
    true but my point was in Atlanta it is not uncommon to see a black man driving a jag, because he owns his own business, not becuase he is a dope dealer or whatever

What a sad thread.

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    true but my point was in Atlanta it is not uncommon to see a black man driving a jag, because he owns his own business, not becuase he is a dope dealer or whatever
    Wait...what?

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Wait...what?
    let me clarify

In Atlanta , unlike Detroit for example you have a large number of african american men who are succesfull legitmately,(in fact Atlanta has the largest number of African American businesses in the US) so it is not uncommon to see a young black man driving a nice car

Huh? It seems like you're saying that black men legitimately earn stuff there like it's an oddity. Wow.

It's pretty clear that Allen was the brunt of racial profiling here. I don't care if his actions seemed childish, but I would be pissed too if I had the same thing happen to me.

I know who you are Allen. A citizen of the United States. Not a black one. Not a rich one. When it boils down to it, he's a simple citizen that was most likely on the receiving end of racial profiling.

Don't believe that happens? A cousin of mine was a police man and avid racist, who used to tell me stories of how he witnessed and even took part in such activities. Pulling over a white dude in a Rio for not signaling with a button up shirt is seen as something not being worth their time. Chances of actually finding anything wrong is low ( at least in their eyes). Successful black dude in a brand new car? Oh no, he HAS to be doing something wrong.

Bah.. sorry for ranting.

Dont know why its so hard to understand

In a city like Atlanta, where you have a number of historically black colleges, and as I said the largest number of African American owned businesses, the police know it is fairly common to see a young black man in a nice car , so the initial sterotype is not as strong as for example, a city like Detroit , with a high unemployment rate, little opportunity so when the police see a young man in a nice car their more likely to believe it might be through illegal means

If Iverson had the initiative to properly register his car or the common sense not to go out in it with tags that expired 2 years ago, this would have never happened.

Seems pretty simple to me.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to PacerDude For This Useful Post:

Iverson came back and apologized (to the Police, not the media) for his actions

he is too old for those type of reactions and he knew it