View Poll Results: Does Vogel get the job after clinching 8th?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    25 21.74%
  • No

    36 31.30%
  • Too early to tell

    54 46.96%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 51 to 72 of 72

Thread: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

  1. #51

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually your feelings were appropriate for the thread as you stated you were "excited about the series". Your opinion however, "they dont deserve it", was not only inappropriate for a Celebration thread but was contradictory to your own feelings of being "excited about the series".
    don't think it's a contradiction at all. i'm a pacers fan so of course i'm excited about the playoffs and the experience the young guys will get from it. but i definitely don't think we deserve it. "technically" we do since we qualified. but it's always been my stance that if you can't at least achieve a .500 or winning record, you do not deserve the playoffs. and once we start celebrating losing records, we will eventually become content with mediocrity.
    Last edited by croz24; 04-07-2011 at 01:52 AM.

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  3. #52
    Member Constellations's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,979

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    All I want to say it Vogel took took this team when it was 10 games below .500, locker room tribulations, growing pains, immaturity from players and still managed to pound out some great wins and convinced the the NBA Gods to let the 8th seed not take 40+ wins to clinch. He salvaged our imminent 4th straight season and pounded out something WORTH while. I honestly believe he deserves to come back next season in the big boy pants.

    Now before people start hating on anything I listed, this is just my opinion on the matter of giving him a CHANCE. We'll see how he does in the playoffs against the Rose Bulls.
    Last edited by Constellations; 04-07-2011 at 03:19 AM.

  4. #53
    You are my Lucifer D-BONE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Nirvana
    Posts
    6,941

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Please. If he beats Chicago, they'll sign him the next day. They'd have to be morons not to.

    Right now though, it's way too early to tell.
    If we beat Chicago, I'll eat my hat!
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

    -Emiliano Zapata

  5. #54
    Member Knucklehead Warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    874

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hope if it is Chicago that at least some bandwagon Pacer fans come to Conseco. I do NOT want to go to those games and see a crapload of Bulls fans....with Indiana license plates.
    .
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucklehead Warrior For This Useful Post:


  7. #55
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,082

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he wins the series against Chicago, I'd put him at 80% for coming back as head coach.
    If he does that, I'd say make him President in 2012.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  8. #56
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was for hiring him even before we clinched. The only thing I'd prefer is if we could lure a top of the line guy here (one who is not 80 yrs old).

    If the choice is between Vogel and someone like Mike Brown, give me Vogel all day. I like the idea of a young team with a young enthusiastic coach. If we let Vogel go, we could be kicking ourselves in a couple of years. I'm going with the ridiculous upside choice this time.

    Mike Brown is a young enthusiastic head coach - he just turned 41 years old.

    Vogel is 37 and will turn 38 in June - So Mike Brown is 3 years older.

    There might be some good reasons to choose Vogel over Brown, but wanting a younger coach is not one of them.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-07-2011 at 08:24 AM.

  9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  10. #57
    Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Johnson's Bay, Lake Wawasee
    Age
    28
    Posts
    5,299

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    The only reason you hire Vogel is if guys like Mike Brown or Jeff Van Gundy aren't interested.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

    -Lance Stephenson

  11. #58
    The Nite Owl LA_Confidential's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Washington D.C.
    Posts
    1,566

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The only reason you hire Vogel is if guys like Mike Brown or Jeff Van Gundy aren't interested.
    I dont think Mike Brown would be a good choice. He is a stained coach. He will always and forever carry the label as Lebrons Lacky. If fans realize it Im certain players notice it to.

  12. #59
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Wells was on one of the talk radio shows 2 days ago and talked about choosing a coach. Something I hadn't considered is this.

    Phil Jackson is retiring, Houston needs a coach. Who knows what other openings there might be. It's no slam dunk that Mike Brown will be available for the Pacers. If he is available to the Pacers, it might be awhile before these other teams have made their choice, which could delay the process for the Pacers.

    Just something to think about that I had not really considered.

  13. #60
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wells was on one of the talk radio shows 2 days ago and talked about choosing a coach. Something I hadn't considered is this.

    Phil Jackson is retiring, Houston needs a coach. Who knows what other openings there might be. It's no slam dunk that Mike Brown will be available for the Pacers. If he is available to the Pacers, it might be awhile before these other teams have made their choice, which could delay the process for the Pacers.

    Just something to think about that I had not really considered.

    I'm not convinced that Jackson is retiring, but if he does, I would be shocked if the lakers go outside their organization to hire a coach - Brian Shaw is most likely to replace him. Unless for some reason they decide they need a new approach.

    Rockets, who knows what they will do - so Mike Brown is a possibility there. The Rockets are better than the pacers, but Mike knows the pacers organization, so who knows what he would do if both go after him.

    Rockets aren't even in the playoffs. So they could go after Mike brown a week from today.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.

  14. #61
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,055

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hate to be negative, (oh, wait, forgot who I was for a second), but I'll be surprised if we sell out either game. Frankly, I think the only way we sell out is if we win one of the first two in Chicago.

    And no, this isn't about the last few years, either. I remember all those ****ing Pistons fans in the '04 ECF. That was horrible. Absolutely horrible. Probably my worst memory at the Fieldhouse.
    I would have just hit the "thanks" button, but Kegboy hates that so I'll just say I totally agree.

  15. #62

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not convinced that Jackson is retiring
    I am. It's about 99% done, from everything I've heard.

  16. #63

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    I said no. Achieving backing into the playoffs by being the best of the worst with an under .500 record doesn't mean Vogel should automatically get the job as head coach. What if Jimmy had done the same, would you be in favor of him being the HC next year too?

    I FIRMLY believe Vogel should get the 1st interview and consideration for how this team has played while coaching it. I like Vogel, but it's not a gimme b/c the Pacers backed into the playoffs with an under .500 record. That doesn't make him an automatic HC for the Pacers. Sliding into the playoffs shouldn't be the criteria to make Vogel HC.

  17. #64

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wells was on one of the talk radio shows 2 days ago and talked about choosing a coach. Something I hadn't considered is this.

    Phil Jackson is retiring, Houston needs a coach. Who knows what other openings there might be. It's no slam dunk that Mike Brown will be available for the Pacers. If he is available to the Pacers, it might be awhile before these other teams have made their choice, which could delay the process for the Pacers.

    Just something to think about that I had not really considered.
    Yea, I heard Wells say that..and you know something.

    It wouldn't surprise me if some really good coaches do want to come here.

    We haven't got the most talent, but we're going in a very good direction. And we're very young and teachable. No Prima Donnas here. Something like that probably does sound good to someone like Wells..who is probably done with the spoiled NBA player.

  18. #65

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    I at least want to keep coach Frank for another season. Let's see what he can do with some time to prepare and a training camp. He won't cost much and they can just give him a one year contract. If it goes bad they can always get a different coach afterward.

  19. #66

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    I want Vogel to return next year. He represents the team well and did a good job considering the system wasn't his to begin with. I dont want another retread coach. I like what we have. Give him the chance!

  20. #67
    The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Disgusta, GA
    Posts
    8,829
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mike Brown is a young enthusiastic head coach - he just turned 41 years old.

    Vogel is 37 and will turn 38 in June - So Mike Brown is 3 years older.

    There might be some good reasons to choose Vogel over Brown, but wanting a younger coach is not one of them.
    Mike Brown's age, or anyone's age (except J. Sloan), does not disqualify them, or qualify them, in my mind. Mike Brown's frustrating tenure at Cleveland does disqualify him, to me.

    Vogel's youth really was not what I was getting at as a hiring factor. Perhaps I didn't say it well. His potential, combined with a good start, is what I'd focus on. I think the team and the coach can grow together.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

  21. #68
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    17,366

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I dont think Mike Brown would be a good choice. He is a stained coach. He will always and forever carry the label as Lebrons Lacky. If fans realize it Im certain players notice it to.
    I disagree. Actually, if anything, I think people appreciate Mike Brown more now that they see how bad Cleveland is and the fact that Miami isn't going gangbusters with the SuperFriends. He's a good coach and well respected within the coaching community.

  22. #69
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,767

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    I judge a coach most by the team defense he is able to get his team to play and I would give Mike Brown an A+ in this one area that I think the coach has the most influence.

  23. #70
    Member BPump33's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Age
    31
    Posts
    1,837

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    I want Frank Vogel as the coach of the Indiana Pacers. I understand why people do not, but I want this coach and this very young core group of guys to grow/learn/play together for years to come. I really think we are at our infancy right now and we are only going to get better the longer these guys play together. Yes, that's a very sunshiner approach, but that's my opinion.

  24. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:


  25. #71

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I judge a coach most by the team defense he is able to get his team to play and I would give Mike Brown an A+ in this one area that I think the coach has the most influence.
    I mostly feel the same. But this team is playing JOB's defense not Vogel's. When he meets with Bird or whoever, he will have the opportunity to sell his defensive plan. I would like to know what it is first.

    As far as Brown goes, didnt he have Lebron James and 4 defensive players on that team? I believe the team was built around defense first and then Lebron doing whatever he wanted on offense.

  26. #72
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,857

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I mostly feel the same. But this team is playing JOB's defense not Vogel's. When he meets with Bird or whoever, he will have the opportunity to sell his defensive plan. I would like to know what it is first.

    As far as Brown goes, didnt he have Lebron James and 4 defensive players on that team? I believe the team was built around defense first and then Lebron doing whatever he wanted on offense.
    Mike Brown has been known as a great defensive coach before he was in Cleveland. He was when he was an assistant here and in San Antonio. I really hate when people just say LeBron is the reason he had success. He is a very good coach. Especially on the defensive end.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2011, 10:05 AM
  2. Not Vogel, but what about DeFruscio
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 09:56 PM
  3. Hawks hire Larry Drew as head coach
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-13-2010, 01:29 AM
  4. Nice Article On Coach Caldwell
    By obnoxiousmodesty in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 02:38 PM
  5. Weekend Recap 02-29: News from Around the NBA
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •