View Poll Results: Does Vogel get the job after clinching 8th?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 21.74%
  • No

36 31.30%
  • Too early to tell

54 46.96%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Actually your feelings were appropriate for the thread as you stated you were "excited about the series". Your opinion however, "they dont deserve it", was not only inappropriate for a Celebration thread but was contradictory to your own feelings of being "excited about the series".
    don't think it's a contradiction at all. i'm a pacers fan so of course i'm excited about the playoffs and the experience the young guys will get from it. but i definitely don't think we deserve it. "technically" we do since we qualified. but it's always been my stance that if you can't at least achieve a .500 or winning record, you do not deserve the playoffs. and once we start celebrating losing records, we will eventually become content with mediocrity.
    Last edited by croz24; 04-07-2011 at 01:52 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

All I want to say it Vogel took took this team when it was 10 games below .500, locker room tribulations, growing pains, immaturity from players and still managed to pound out some great wins and convinced the the NBA Gods to let the 8th seed not take 40+ wins to clinch. He salvaged our imminent 4th straight season and pounded out something WORTH while. I honestly believe he deserves to come back next season in the big boy pants.

Now before people start hating on anything I listed, this is just my opinion on the matter of giving him a CHANCE. We'll see how he does in the playoffs against the Rose Bulls.
    Last edited by Constellations; 04-07-2011 at 03:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    Please. If he beats Chicago, they'll sign him the next day. They'd have to be morons not to.

Right now though, it's way too early to tell.
    If we beat Chicago, I'll eat my hat!
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I hope if it is Chicago that at least some bandwagon Pacer fans come to Conseco. I do NOT want to go to those games and see a crapload of Bulls fans....with Indiana license plates.
    Don't thank me, I'll kill ya.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Knucklehead Warrior For This Useful Post:

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    If he wins the series against Chicago, I'd put him at 80% for coming back as head coach.
    If he does that, I'd say make him President in 2012.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by kester99 View Post
    I was for hiring him even before we clinched. The only thing I'd prefer is if we could lure a top of the line guy here (one who is not 80 yrs old).

If the choice is between Vogel and someone like Mike Brown, give me Vogel all day. I like the idea of a young team with a young enthusiastic coach. If we let Vogel go, we could be kicking ourselves in a couple of years. I'm going with the ridiculous upside choice this time.

Mike Brown is a young enthusiastic head coach - he just turned 41 years old.

Vogel is 37 and will turn 38 in June - So Mike Brown is 3 years older.

There might be some good reasons to choose Vogel over Brown, but wanting a younger coach is not one of them.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-07-2011 at 08:24 AM.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The only reason you hire Vogel is if guys like Mike Brown or Jeff Van Gundy aren't interested.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    The only reason you hire Vogel is if guys like Mike Brown or Jeff Van Gundy aren't interested.
    I dont think Mike Brown would be a good choice. He is a stained coach. He will always and forever carry the label as Lebrons Lacky. If fans realize it Im certain players notice it to.

Wells was on one of the talk radio shows 2 days ago and talked about choosing a coach. Something I hadn't considered is this.

Phil Jackson is retiring, Houston needs a coach. Who knows what other openings there might be. It's no slam dunk that Mike Brown will be available for the Pacers. If he is available to the Pacers, it might be awhile before these other teams have made their choice, which could delay the process for the Pacers.

Just something to think about that I had not really considered.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Wells was on one of the talk radio shows 2 days ago and talked about choosing a coach. Something I hadn't considered is this.

Phil Jackson is retiring, Houston needs a coach. Who knows what other openings there might be. It's no slam dunk that Mike Brown will be available for the Pacers. If he is available to the Pacers, it might be awhile before these other teams have made their choice, which could delay the process for the Pacers.

I'm not convinced that Jackson is retiring, but if he does, I would be shocked if the lakers go outside their organization to hire a coach - Brian Shaw is most likely to replace him. Unless for some reason they decide they need a new approach.

Rockets, who knows what they will do - so Mike Brown is a possibility there. The Rockets are better than the pacers, but Mike knows the pacers organization, so who knows what he would do if both go after him.

Rockets aren't even in the playoffs. So they could go after Mike brown a week from today.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-07-2011 at 10:31 AM.

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    I hate to be negative, (oh, wait, forgot who I was for a second), but I'll be surprised if we sell out either game. Frankly, I think the only way we sell out is if we win one of the first two in Chicago.

And no, this isn't about the last few years, either. I remember all those ****ing Pistons fans in the '04 ECF. That was horrible. Absolutely horrible. Probably my worst memory at the Fieldhouse.
    I would have just hit the "thanks" button, but Kegboy hates that so I'll just say I totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I'm not convinced that Jackson is retiring
    I am. It's about 99% done, from everything I've heard.

I said no. Achieving backing into the playoffs by being the best of the worst with an under .500 record doesn't mean Vogel should automatically get the job as head coach. What if Jimmy had done the same, would you be in favor of him being the HC next year too?

I FIRMLY believe Vogel should get the 1st interview and consideration for how this team has played while coaching it. I like Vogel, but it's not a gimme b/c the Pacers backed into the playoffs with an under .500 record. That doesn't make him an automatic HC for the Pacers. Sliding into the playoffs shouldn't be the criteria to make Vogel HC.

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post

Yea, I heard Wells say that..and you know something.

It wouldn't surprise me if some really good coaches do want to come here.

We haven't got the most talent, but we're going in a very good direction. And we're very young and teachable. No Prima Donnas here. Something like that probably does sound good to someone like Wells..who is probably done with the spoiled NBA player.

I at least want to keep coach Frank for another season. Let's see what he can do with some time to prepare and a training camp. He won't cost much and they can just give him a one year contract. If it goes bad they can always get a different coach afterward.

I want Vogel to return next year. He represents the team well and did a good job considering the system wasn't his to begin with. I dont want another retread coach. I like what we have. Give him the chance!

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Mike Brown is a young enthusiastic head coach - he just turned 41 years old.

Vogel is 37 and will turn 38 in June - So Mike Brown is 3 years older.

There might be some good reasons to choose Vogel over Brown, but wanting a younger coach is not one of them.
    Mike Brown's age, or anyone's age (except J. Sloan), does not disqualify them, or qualify them, in my mind. Mike Brown's frustrating tenure at Cleveland does disqualify him, to me.

Vogel's youth really was not what I was getting at as a hiring factor. Perhaps I didn't say it well. His potential, combined with a good start, is what I'd focus on. I think the team and the coach can grow together.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

Quote Originally Posted by LA_Confidential View Post
    I dont think Mike Brown would be a good choice. He is a stained coach. He will always and forever carry the label as Lebrons Lacky. If fans realize it Im certain players notice it to.
    I disagree. Actually, if anything, I think people appreciate Mike Brown more now that they see how bad Cleveland is and the fact that Miami isn't going gangbusters with the SuperFriends. He's a good coach and well respected within the coaching community.

I judge a coach most by the team defense he is able to get his team to play and I would give Mike Brown an A+ in this one area that I think the coach has the most influence.

I want Frank Vogel as the coach of the Indiana Pacers. I understand why people do not, but I want this coach and this very young core group of guys to grow/learn/play together for years to come. I really think we are at our infancy right now and we are only going to get better the longer these guys play together. Yes, that's a very sunshiner approach, but that's my opinion.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to BPump33 For This Useful Post:

I judge a coach most by the team defense he is able to get his team to play and I would give Mike Brown an A+ in this one area that I think the coach has the most influence.
    I mostly feel the same. But this team is playing JOB's defense not Vogel's. When he meets with Bird or whoever, he will have the opportunity to sell his defensive plan. I would like to know what it is first.

As far as Brown goes, didnt he have Lebron James and 4 defensive players on that team? I believe the team was built around defense first and then Lebron doing whatever he wanted on offense.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I mostly feel the same. But this team is playing JOB's defense not Vogel's. When he meets with Bird or whoever, he will have the opportunity to sell his defensive plan. I would like to know what it is first.

As far as Brown goes, didnt he have Lebron James and 4 defensive players on that team? I believe the team was built around defense first and then Lebron doing whatever he wanted on offense.
    Mike Brown has been known as a great defensive coach before he was in Cleveland. He was when he was an assistant here and in San Antonio. I really hate when people just say LeBron is the reason he had success. He is a very good coach. Especially on the defensive end.