View Poll Results: Does Vogel get the job after clinching 8th?

Voters
115. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

25 21.74%
  • No

36 31.30%
  • Too early to tell

54 46.96%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

Default Re: Does our playoff berth= Head Coach Vogel?

Man, I am super excited about the Pacers being back in the playoffs!! I am really hoping to be able to get to tickets for the playoffs...does anyone know when and where is the best place to get the tickets? I will be coming from Chicago, and I can't wait to make the drive. I am off on 4/14-4/17...I hope that at least one Pacers home game is during that time period in Indy.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If he wins the series against Chicago, I'd put him at 80% for coming back as head coach.
    "If"
    Thats like saying i will sleep with Megan Fox next week.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

no. i think the pacers want an experienced coach. the problem with player/practice issues needed larry bird to solve. i just don't see the pacers keeping vogel. this will make a nice line on his resume, but he just doesn't seem ready.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    on a serious note, I don't think he's earned the job. I think he's earned the first interview though.
    I agree. To me, he's earned the right to be taken seriously as a candidate for the full time gig. If he wins a playoff series, then he will have the interim tag stripped away. Needless to say, I don't see that happening.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by samiuam View Post
    Man, I am super excited about the Pacers being back in the playoffs!! I am really hoping to be able to get to tickets for the playoffs...does anyone know when and where is the best place to get the tickets? I will be coming from Chicago, and I can't wait to make the drive. I am off on 4/14-4/17...I hope that at least one Pacers home game is during that time period in Indy.
    I've gotten some amazing prices from the scalpers this year, and I'd recommend the same thing if our opponent in the series wasn't a 3 hour drive away with plenty of transplant fans living in the city. My money's on the games selling out, or at least selling well enough that good seats are a pain to find on the secondary market. Get them from the box office if you can. If you've got the testicular fortitude to show up to the game and try to find a deal from scalpers, at least check Craiglist a day or so before. Someone always ends up being unable to attend at the last minute, though for a playoff game that may not hold true.

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post

If the pacers were playing the hawks in the first round I would expect around 13,000 to 14,000 at the games. The Bulls fans will make ita sellout - so that means 4000 Bulls fans
    I don't believe that for a second. If the Pacers are capable of selling out the occasional regular season game (which they have), then they should have no problem selling out or at least nearly selling out their first home playoff games in 5 years.

I'm not saying they would sell out in an hour or anything, maybe day of game, but I would think they can generate enough buzz to get the place reasonably filled.

That is not to say there won't be Bulls fans. I expect there to be plenty of them, unfortunately.
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

He hasn't shown much to make me excited that he could be a full time person for the job. Then again, we can certainly do worse, and there are certainly coaches I would want less.

There are at least 2-3 coaches out there right now that I would 100% want over Vogel if he were to be fired today, so we will see. But no is my answer now.

Potentially available upgrades without a coaching job now:
    JVG
    Mike Fratello
    Sloan

Potential Offseason Replacements:
    Adelman

Intriguing potential:
    Dwane Casey

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite MAN_force View Post
    I don't believe that for a second. If the Pacers are capable of selling out the occasional regular season game (which they have), then they should have no problem selling out or at least nearly selling out their first home playoff games in 5 years.

I'm not saying they would sell out in an hour or anything, maybe day of game, but I would think they can generate enough buzz to get the place reasonably filled.

That is not to say there won't be Bulls fans. I expect there to be plenty of them, unfortunately.

I hope you are correct. Biggest factor will be how many season ticket holders bought playoff tickets.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I agree. To me, he's earned the right to be taken seriously as a candidate for the full time gig. If he wins a playoff series, then he will have the interim tag stripped away. Needless to say, I don't see that happening.
    I love how positive he is. He called DC and Dun great one on one defenders.

But it's good. You have to know the feel of your team, and with young guys and guys coming off of injuries you NEED to be positive with them and you NEED to be calm. They'll lose confidence quickly if you don't.

The psychology part of Vogel's coaching has impressed me more than anything. I'm not sure about the Xs and Os yet, and I don't know that we'll have an idea of that until you see him get a preseason and really..a moment to breathe and decide how he wants to run an offense, and have the available time to implement it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

I do agree that we probably do not have an accurate assessment of Frank Vogel yet. I certainly wouldn't be upset if he entered the next season as our head coach and see what he can do with a full offseason of preparation.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

In the NBA being a great head coach has less to do with the X's and O's than it does being a good manager of the players. If Vogel could get a good X's and O's guy in as his assistant, he would be a great coach. That is why guys like JOB fail as a head coach. They may have the X's and O's down to a science, but they aren't good managers of their team. Give JOB the assistant position and he would most likely do a great job. Give him the head coach position, and unless he is coaching a bunch of vets he is going to struggle.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    I hope you are correct. Biggest factor will be how many season ticket holders bought playoff tickets.
    I hate to be negative, (oh, wait, forgot who I was for a second), but I'll be surprised if we sell out either game. Frankly, I think the only way we sell out is if we win one of the first two in Chicago.

And no, this isn't about the last few years, either. I remember all those ****ing Pistons fans in the '04 ECF. That was horrible. Absolutely horrible. Probably my worst memory at the Fieldhouse.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    "If"
    Thats like saying i will sleep with Megan Fox next week.
    No... because there's a mathematical chance the Pacers could win the series...

Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

I accidently voted no, but meant to soon to tell. Truthfully we don,t have the access to make a determination.

Banned

Vogel has done a decent job, but like I said at the PD party, whoever was the coach replacing the Clown he was going to look like the next great thing, all Vogel has done is to play the point guards at the point, he is playing the power forwards at the power forward position and has never play Dunleavy at the 4, even a child could have figured that out.

Quote Originally Posted by maragin View Post
    If he wins the series against Chicago, I'd put him at 80% for coming back as head coach.
    Please. If he beats Chicago, they'll sign him the next day. They'd have to be morons not to.

Right now though, it's way too early to tell.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:

He certainly deserves the first interview. I would really like to hear his longterm plans and systems/changes to current ones that he would implement in the off season. I mean as long as the defense gets completely re hauled and the offense executes the team game idea like they did tonight I would be ok with it.

Mood

hopefully us getting into the playoffs gets us a good coach who is willing to come to indy because we made the playoffs and have some decent young players.

In an "anybody but O'Brien world" Vogel has some baggage to overcome to become head coach of the Pacers.

He's fortunate to have gotten this time to add something to his resume without O'Brien's fingerprints on it.

OTOH, it's unfortunate that he really wasn't put into a situation where he could totally overhaul the system and show us what a Vogel system would be like. Obviously, he will have the opportunity to explain it in the hiring interview. ...but he'll have to sell his vision to the brass and then execute it with the team...

I do agree with the idea he would be helped greatly with an highly regarded assistant or two. He seems to have the ability to manage the players... having an assistant with some X/O credibility to help him implement and execute his system could be a tipping point. Especially if the Pacers can have a competitive playoff series.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by flox View Post
    He hasn't shown much to make me excited that he could be a full time person for the job. Then again, we can certainly do worse, and there are certainly coaches I would want less.

There are at least 2-3 coaches out there right now that I would 100% want over Vogel if he were to be fired today, so we will see. But no is my answer now.

Potentially available upgrades without a coaching job now:
    JVG
    Mike Fratello
    Sloan

Potential Offseason Replacements:
    Adelman

Intriguing potential:
    Dwane Casey
    I'd actually be pretty happy with Adelman.

I really like Vogel, I think his confidence is contagious with the players. I think as this really young team gets better at the XOs of winning in the NBA, his bravado could help some guys stay focused - especially Roy & Rush.

Also, in the short time he has been coach, I find myself agreeing with most of his rotations and in-game adjustments - as soon as I start thinking a move needs to be made, he makes it. Not that I am a basketball genius, but its nice to finally not be pissed at the coach during Pacer games.

That said, I think unless Vogel pulls off an amazing showing in the playoffs all he has earned is the first interview for meeting the goal of making the playoffs.

I would definitely keep Vogel over Mike Brown who does not impress me at all. However, there are a few coaches that you have to take if you can get them - Jerry Sloan, Jeff Van Gundy, Mike Fratello - they are all proven coaches that would elevate the team instantly. I am also intrigued to see what Bill Laimbeer could do, but would give Vogel a shot first.

lol get removed from a discussion because of a differing opinion. how typical. didn't direct any negative comments towards board members and continually professed it as being my opinion. if people call me out, i'm going to reply with why i feel how i feel. that's what you do on message boards.

The light, not the lie. kester99's Avatar
    Mood

I was for hiring him even before we clinched. The only thing I'd prefer is if we could lure a top of the line guy here (one who is not 80 yrs old).

If the choice is between Vogel and someone like Mike Brown, give me Vogel all day. I like the idea of a young team with a young enthusiastic coach. If we let Vogel go, we could be kicking ourselves in a couple of years. I'm going with the ridiculous upside choice this time.
    [~]) ... Cheers! Go Pacers!

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kester99 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Hummm surprised to see so many yes'

Not sure if the Job as far as wins or losses was that impressive, But I like the job that he did motivating a lot of guys on the team.

P.S. IDK what has gotten into Rush lately.... but I like it...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    lol get removed from a discussion because of a differing opinion. how typical. didn't direct any negative comments towards board members and continually professed it as being my opinion. if people call me out, i'm going to reply with why i feel how i feel. that's what you do on message boards.
    Actually your feelings were appropriate for the thread as you stated you were "excited about the series". Your opinion however, "they dont deserve it", was not only inappropriate for a Celebration thread but was contradictory to your own feelings of being "excited about the series".