Thread: Pacers have worst attendance in NBA

Default Pacers have worst attendance in NBA

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/42462775

Pacers have worst attendance in NBA
    While the Pacers still have a shot at the playoffs, they've already claimed a different title with the worst attendance in the league.

Just down from Conseco Fieldhouse, Amber Kaiser gets Coaches Tavern ready for the lunch crowd and later Pacer fans.

"It's busier this year compared to years past," she said.

Maybe that's true at the tavern, but not the Fieldhouse. According to ESPN, the Pacers rank 30th or dead last in NBA attendance. This season they've averaged just under 13,500 fans per game. That's the lowest since 2008 when attendance averaged just over 12,000.

"I think most fans don't watch the games anymore unless their team is winning," said one visitor at Coaches Tavern.

"The fact of the matter is we haven't made the playoffs for several years, people have had some concerns about our team and we've listened," said Jim Morris, Pacers Sports & Entertainment.

The Pacers Jim Morris says they're making strides - with some new players, a new coach and even a new fan club. Roy Hibbert's Area 55 has been pumping up the crowd all season long.

."Larry Bird has been giving it everything he has every minute of every day to get this back to a point where we compete for the championship," said Morris.

Attendance isn't the only number the Pacers have struggled with. Forbes magazine puts the team value at $269 million or 27th in the 30-team league, with operating revenue down about $17 million.

"Those numbers are not accurate," said Morris.

Still, Morris says the Pacers are still losing money, though not as much as last year. That's due in part due to a three-year $30 million deal with the city to help pay for operating Conseco Fieldhouse - a deal that will have to be revisited in two years.

"The objective is to keep the Indiana Pacers and the Indiana Fever in Indianapolis forever," said Morris.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers have worst attendance in NBA

Look at the bright side, the economy is absolute **** compared to what it was at the beginning of 2008, and our attendance has still increased.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

From what everyone is saying that Indy is incredibly fairweather, the attendance is low because we've sucked for the past 4-5 years.

EDIT: Making the playoffs will definitely improve the attendance next season. The TV viewings for the Pacers have increased this season which shows signs of more tickets being sold.
    Last edited by Trophy; 04-06-2011 at 09:52 PM.

They're too boring to want to see in person.

This team is so sloppy. If they aren't hitting shots, they look worse than a D-League team. They seem to get blown out in losses. Just not pretty.

I'm sure it would be different if they played more competitively. Just a young team, lot's of growing pains. Hibbert, Hans and PG have made some strides this year. DC has started playing better too. If Granger would stay focuses for a whole game, this team can do some damage next year.

I'm pretty happy with the future of the Pacers. Hope the city does too.

Just spend that money wisely please!
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    They're too boring to want to see in person.
    Prior to this season, they sure as hell were.

Pretty much ever since O'Brien took over and our unsuccessful seasons between 2007-2010.

Hopefully this will change now that the Pacers are back in the playoffs.

GO PACERS!!!

Feed the big fella. Infinite MAN_force's Avatar

Attendance league wide must be up. The attendance has at least "seemed" better this season than some years past, I seem to remember 07 and 08 to be absolutely brutal at times. I have no numbers to back that up. Maybe the crowds are smaller but "better" ???
    "As a bearded man, i was very disappointed in Love. I am gathering other bearded men to discuss the status of Kevin Love's beard. I am motioning that it must be shaved."

- ilive4sports

Did the (failed) deadline trade suck a lot of the energy and excitement out of the fanbase?

It did for me, and it seemed to for the team itself.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthem For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    Did the (failed) deadline trade suck a lot of the energy and excitement out of the fanbase?

It did for me, and it seemed to for the team itself.
    I wanted the trade to go through and would still love to get Mayo, but I didn't think it effected the fanbase at all.

I thought Josh and Brandon's play would derail a little, but they stayed strong and played this season well.

There's some pretty nice players we can potentially get, but it would be a risk by trading some of our key guys.

Losing and the major roster makeover is what sucked energy out of the fanbase that we had from 2006 and up.

By now, you all know my attendance analysis and 2 cents.

First off, this is because we haven't had any success that the attendance has been in the low 20s to dead last in the past few seasons.

The economy has a good amount to do with this every where, but Indy isn't any different from other places like Portland who came from pretty much the same background as us with the bad boys and having low attendance and now they sellout every game because they have winners and good people. Ever since making the playoffs, their attendance has gone up a lot and I see the same for us.

The Fieldhouse is probably the ideal sports venue to watch a basketball game and all it needs to make it an even better place is to see less of the green seats and more blue and gold fanatics.

Roy said he formed Area 55 because from 2008 to now, the crowds have so quiet which isn't right for Indiana basketball.

Here's an old video from the 2008 season when we finished dead last and we pretty much saw like 10,000 people a game.

Indiana fans are fair weather yes, but you have to admit they are incredibly diehard fans when their team is in the playoffs and is winning. Just look at the current Colts and the Pacers before 2006 for 10 years.

To that article the last line is something all people who work for an organization (not usually LA, NY, Chicago) always focus on. They always try to please their fans and the city.

The Pacers have so much support from the city and fans. I'm so grateful what we have and the Fieldhouse fits this city so well.

I guarantee we will be 20th or so next season in attendance averaging maybe 16,000.

Definitely not what we've seen in the recent seasons.

Everyone knows this team is a playoff contender and people will come out and see more of them. Like the Trail Blazers fans.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 04-07-2011 at 12:08 AM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

A big part of attendance is season ticket orders made the previous year. It's the reason the Cavs have the third highest attendance this year despite being one of the worst teams in the league. Cavs fans renewed their tickets last year assuming LeBron would still be there.

Once we make the playoffs this year and hopefully make some off season moves and generate interest in season ticket sales, I bet the Pacers move up to the late teens or early twenties in attendance.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Try as hard as I can to not be another Ms. Debbie Downer, but I've always thought it will take a couple seasons of improving playoff runs to get fans back to the way it was. This is the beginning.

17. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    Try as hard as I can to not be another Ms. Debbie Downer, but I've always thought it will take a couple seasons of improving playoff runs to get fans back to the way it was. This is the beginning.
    You gotta start somewhere and this is as good a place to start as any.

Also I love how Indiana is stuck with the label of fairweather fans. While it is true let's not pretend that other bigger city's don't go through the same exact thing.

I saw a Philly game earlier this year that there were probably more workers in the building than fans.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by King Tuts Tomb View Post
    A big part of attendance is season ticket orders made the previous year. It's the reason the Cavs have the third highest attendance this year despite being one of the worst teams in the league. Cavs fans renewed their tickets last year assuming LeBron would still be there.

Once we make the playoffs this year and hopefully make some off season moves and generate interest in season ticket sales, I bet the Pacers move up to the late teens or early twenties in attendance.
    Well, early twenties is impossible. Conseco only holds up 18,165 capacity. Jsyk. But late teens would be nice.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    Well, early twenties is impossible. Conseco only holds up 18,165 capacity. Jsyk. But late teens would be nice.
    I believe he was talking about league rank in attendance.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I believe he was talking about league rank in attendance.
    Oh my bad. Sorry King. Yes that would be nice

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'v never really believed attendance figures,which count tickets sold, rather than butts in seats, which add to revenue through parking, food, and ice cold beverages. I've been to a few Wizards games and shocked to see them that high in attendance (18th) considering the crowds I've seen and how bad they are.

The playoffs will help get fans more interested and I'm sure getting rid of JOB helped. There's some good young talent on the team that'll bring fans in (ie Tyler, Roy, PG).

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    yeah you're probably right with it not being back to where we would like it to be right away.

it'll probably a take 2 or 3 years of solid basketball before we see numerous sellouts at the first and averaging even higher in the attendance rankings.

i think we can all agree that following this season, we're probably not going to see attendance as bad as we've seen the past 4 years for a while.

realistically, we'll probably average 14750 or between 14500-15000 in this upcoming season.

everything is coming back for the pacers and the playoffs certainly with impact the attendance next season.

as i was in indy today, people are talking about playoffs and getting tickets all around.

generally, i don't think market size has a lot to do with things.

sure ny, la, chicago, etc. have an exception because they are the biggest cities in the country, but pretty much every other city's attendance depends on team success.

i said it before, we're like the trail blazers. they had the worst attendance and had to rebuild and now they changed everything on the roster and are a solid playoff team every year and they sellout every game. portland, or is a pretty small market as is oklahoma city, ok and they have solid playoff teams which triggers high attendance

next season im just looking for us to have an increase maybe not in the late-mid teens just yet, but in the high 20s.

I don't think Portland is a good example; there are a lot of other alternatives to spend sports entertainment money in Indy vs. Portland.

Quote Originally Posted by indyaway View Post
    I don't think Portland is a good example; there are a lot of other alternatives to spend sports entertainment money in Indy vs. Portland.
    That's not my point.

They sucked and had a bunch of thugs like us and it drew fan interest away. It took them a while to rebuild like us and now they are solid and the attendance is a lot higher.

I'm not saying we will sellout every game like they do, but we will be in the low-mid teens once we're contending in the playoffs every season.

My point is that with a good team, the attendance is a lot higher no matter where you play and the fact that Indy is a big basketball city, that will pack the house

how is it possibly worse than Cleveland's??
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Many people bought their season tickets while LeBron was still a Cavalier this summer.
    Report: 82% Of Wiseguys Think They're Real Funny