Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

  1. #1

    Default Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    I guess the coaching in the NFL is seriously watered down

    http://espn.go.com/blog/afcsouth/pos...a-top-10-coach

    Is Jim Caldwell a top-10 coach?
    April, 5, 2011 Apr 51:06PM ETEmail Print Comments33 By Paul KuharskyIs Jim Caldwell a top-10 coach?


    Caldwell
    Before you jump to say he is not, consider there are only 24 coaches in the league who’ve got real résumés to judge -- there are eight new coaches heading into their first seasons.

    Here are the power ranking results and Tim Graham’s piece on how things sorted out.

    Bill Belichick is our unanimous No. 1 and Caldwell finished 13th. I rated him eighth and gave Graham this rationale:

    “I voted for Caldwell late, frankly, because I was running out of good candidates.

    “I do not think he’s a particularly good game-day coach. The rationale he had for the late timeouts that helped the Colts lose at Jacksonville and to the Jets in the playoffs was flawed.

    “But in terms of delivering a consistent message, setting expectations and holding a team together through an injury-riddled season, he did excellent work. And those are very important elements to the job.”

    I did not consider Jack Del Rio or Gary Kubiak at all, and Mike Munchak is one of those eight new coaches.

    Here is my ballot, not to be confused with the overall results, which you’ll find in the link above.

    Bill Belichick
    Mike Tomlin
    Andy Reid
    Mike McCarthy
    Tom Coughlin
    Sean Payton
    Rex Ryan
    Jim Caldwell
    Mike Smith
    Ken Whisenhunt

  2. #2
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Hmm...I think by process of elimination he's probably right. It's hard to feel that way about Caldwell personally when one of the most inexplicable timeout calls in history lost him a playoff game.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hmm...I think by process of elimination he's probably right. It's hard to feel that way about Caldwell personally when one of the most inexplicable timeout calls in history lost him a playoff game.
    I'd put him at 15/16 at best. And I hated Caldwell to begin with sure he got us to 14-0 so it was hard to hate on the guy. Until he rested our starters and helped throw away the quest for a perfect season yeah I have disliked him ever since.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    No way. He is a middle of the pack guy at best. Maybe he will improve, but right now he is not really doing us any favors on the sideline and the behind-the-scenes chemistry stuff seems to rest largely on the veteran players.

  5. #5

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    When Peyton leaves, I think Caldwell will stay one more season and they'll suck and blame him and fire him.

    I disagree with that list 100%.

    No way should Ken Whisenhunt be on that list. The Cardinals sucked last year and the only reason they were good the previous season was because of Kurt Warner.

    Todd Haley is hands down a top NFL coach currently and should be on that list maybe 5-7. He really turned the Chiefs around to make them a pretty decent AFC team.

    If there is a season, I'm interested to see how they'll do with their talented young team.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

  6. #6

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    . Until he rested our starters and helped throw away the quest for a perfect season yeah I have disliked him ever since.
    That was 100% Polian. Caldwell is just a puppet.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerDude View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    That was 100% Polian. Caldwell is just a puppet.


    And Caldwell went right along with it. Players I get they had no choice. But really if Caldwell had kept them in there what was Polian really going to do fire him for it?

    Yeah he's that much of a douchebag to do so I guess. Caldwell however would probably have gotten the respect out of that team and well fans.

    To me the team hasn't been the same since it happened even with the injuries.

    You pretty much killed the whole point of playing sports if its not about winning then what is it about?

  8. #8
    DIET COKE! Trader Joe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Troll Hunting
    Age
    26
    Posts
    30,871

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    No comment.

    “WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Trader Joe For This Useful Post:


  10. #9
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,014

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And Caldwell went right along with it. Players I get they had no choice. But really if Caldwell had kept them in there what was Polian really going to do fire him for it?
    Yes...

    It might've caused a fracas in the pecking order of TPTB had he not went along with the idea. You know the players would've had his back. No idea where Irsay would fall if he had to choose... because I seriously doubt Caldwell had the freedom to go against Polian's wishes.... So Irsay would be the deciding vote on how to handle a split like that because Polian would be ready to drop the axe at the end of the season following the playoffs.

    At least as it was, the players disagreed with the decision but the front office all appeared to be in synch with the decision.

    Personally, I think the decision looks even worst now than it did at the time. ...And I thought it looked pretty stupid at the time...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  11. #10
    The New Gold Swagger travmil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    New Pal
    Posts
    7,221
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Personally, I think the decision looks even worst now than it did at the time. ...And I thought it looked pretty stupid at the time...
    Agreed. Time has not been kind to that decision. Even if they had won the Super Bowl it would still look bad because you could have had that AND the undefeated season. Without the SB win it looks REALLY bad. I'm not often a guy who says that a sports team should do whatever the fan base wants but there are times when the team should listen to them. The Pacers listened and fired O'Brien and the Colts should have listened here too.

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:


  13. #11

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes...

    It might've caused a fracas in the pecking order of TPTB had he not went along with the idea. You know the players would've had his back. No idea where Irsay would fall if he had to choose... because I seriously doubt Caldwell had the freedom to go against Polian's wishes.... So Irsay would be the deciding vote on how to handle a split like that because Polian would be ready to drop the axe at the end of the season following the playoffs.

    At least as it was, the players disagreed with the decision but the front office all appeared to be in synch with the decision.

    Personally, I think the decision looks even worst now than it did at the time. ...And I thought it looked pretty stupid at the time...

    But at the end of the day if Manning signed off on it there's not a whole lot Polian could do about it even though I find Irsay to be a complete tool he's not entirely braindead to go against his mealticket(Manning).

    He'd be an even bigger dumbass than I already think he is if he thought firing Caldwell(who I think should have never been hired ironic no?) was a good idea.

    That's why you'll never get a fiery coach as long as Polian is in charge those guys that are flat out competitors and not a complete wuss like he is would never throw away a once in a lifetime opportunity like that.

  14. #12

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Time has not been kind to that decision. Even if they had won the Super Bowl it would still look bad because you could have had that AND the undefeated season. Without the SB win it looks REALLY bad. I'm not often a guy who says that a sports team should do whatever the fan base wants but there are times when the team should listen to them. The Pacers listened and fired O'Brien and the Colts should have listened here too.
    I don't get this if you were undefeated up until the SB and won the SB its still an undefeated season why does it have to be one or the other.

  15. #13
    Rooting My Family 2 Glory CooperManning's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,296

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Does he really have Tom Coughlin ahead of Sean Payton, Rex Ryan, and Mike Smith?

  16. #14

    Default Re: Paul Kuharksy thinks Caldwell is a Top 10 coach

    Quote Originally Posted by CooperManning View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does he really have Tom Coughlin ahead of Sean Payton, Rex Ryan, and Mike Smith?
    Well he did have one of the greatest SB wins of all time.

    Sean Payton unfortunately won an SB as well but I don't have an issue with Coughlin being up there he's less of a joke than Caldwell that's for sure.

Similar Threads

  1. Caldwell delivered leadership speech at Morehouse
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-30-2011, 01:18 PM
  2. NBA Coach Power Rankings: O'Brien 23rd
    By Hibbert in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 10-12-2010, 06:23 PM
  3. Not to beat out the RSS feed, but some news on Chris Paul
    By Skaut_Ech in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 148
    Last Post: 07-24-2010, 12:31 AM
  4. Celtics coach Doc Rivers: Paul Pierce likely to miss Cavs game [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-24-2010, 06:20 PM
  5. Weekend Recap 02-29: News from Around the NBA
    By kerosene in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-01-2004, 02:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •