Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

Isnt it safe to assume that George has more upside potential but Hayward may be a little better right now? Both players fit their teams need and George gets more opportunities because he is on a lesser talented team. I would be happy with either one really. Both good picks for 9-10

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Tyme View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How much has hometown McBob done with selling of tickets? I'm sure he has hometown fans that come to games to see him play, but does it really impact the amount of tickets sold? My guess you could have a roster full of hometown or Indiana players, and it wouldn't impact ticket sales that much. Winning plays more importance in selling tickets than Hayward and McBob would.
    You are right on most of this but I think you are missing the main point. The goal is for some is not to have home town talent and lose, but to have a winner with home town talent on the roster. There we would have the best of both worlds. I just want to see us build a winner first. Then get the home town talent if possible.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Frankly, yes I am.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redfoster For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Who is this Gordon Hayward you speak of?

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Isnt it safe to assume that George has more upside potential but Hayward may be a little better right now?
    I'm not sure that's safe.

Paul George is posting better numbers... what makes you say Hayward is better right now? One good game against the Lakers?
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Banned

I think is also time to thanks Utah one more time for taking him in front of PG

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As far as being the better leader/franchise player, I think Paul has more potential to be that and he'll give us the better chance to win more.

As far as Hayward, yes he would sell tickets, but would he make us a winning team or be a leader. He wasn't the answer for a team like us first trying to get back into the playoffs, but when he was first drafted by the Jazz when they still had Williams and Sloan and still looked to be playoff contenders, Hayward seemed like a solid fit in their rotation by adding some decent scoring off the bench.

Either way, more tickets will be sold to come out and see Paul, who can be something the Pacers haven't had in a long time and most likely be good enough to make us competitors for years to come which seems to be the solution to getting large crowds or see a former local college standout who would most likely, not solve anything.

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post

debate settled.
    So wait....

If that video means that Hayward > PG

Then

Courtney Lee > LeBron

Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    So wait....

If that video means that Hayward > PG

Then

Courtney Lee > LeBron
    LOL don't take it so literal, i was just giving my boy Hayward some props when it came to the whole Hayward vs George debate.

If you are just looking at the stats that were posted earlier. George is essentially a 3pter better than Hayward in a 5minute difference. + a couple of rebounds.

But if you look a this game logs, more often than not when he gets minutes above his average he really produces, and he has had limited opportunities all year long. So going forward I think the future looks real bright for Hayward.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I think is also time to thanks Utah one more time for taking him in front of PG
    I don't even believe in God, and yet I wake up every day praying to God and thanking him for Utah taking Gordon 1 pick ahead of us so we could then grab George.

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Day-V For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    I don't even believe in God, and yet I wake up every day praying to God and thanking him for Utah taking Gordon 1 pick ahead of us so we could then grab George.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I'm not sure that's safe.

Paul George is posting better numbers... what makes you say Hayward is better right now? One good game against the Lakers?
    Hayward is playing on a better team with more talent around him. If he had the opportunities that George has had I am sure he would be posting better numbers. Watch they way he carries himself on the court compared to George. Paul often looks like a deer caught in the headlights. Gordon did look that way but has matured faster. Again, I think Paul has a chance to be the better player. I just dont think he is right now.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Gordon Hayward will be a solid player, probably like a Mike Dunleavy, over the course of his NBA career. His ceiling isn't as high as Paul George and he just doesn't have the potential that Paul has to be a superstar in this league. Hayward will be one of those good players that is just underrated and undervalued in the NBA, even though he'll get the job done on both ends of the court. Paul on the other hand has the potential to be one of those types that can turn into "something special."

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Hayward is better right now. Paul could be better in the future.

Hayward: higher floor/lower ceiling.

George: lower floor/higher ceiling.

Both were good picks.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    Gordon Hayward will be a solid player, probably like a Mike Dunleavy, over the course of his NBA career. His ceiling isn't as high as Paul George and he just doesn't have the potential that Paul has to be a superstar in this league. Hayward will be one of those good players that is just underrated and undervalued in the NBA, even though he'll get the job done on both ends of the court. Paul on the other hand has the potential to be one of those types that can turn into "something special."
    LOL, what would give you the idea that Hayward doesn't have just as high potential as Paul George? Both players were sophomores in college. Both players are the same age. Both players are 6-8/6-9. Both players have pretty much even ball handling skills. Both have pretty much even shooting abilities. Is George faster than Hayward? I've not seen any evidence of that this year so far.

I guess George can jump out of gym and get Alley Oops, and Hayward can only tomahawk slam it over George, and the entire Lakers front line.

One of them had alot of success at the college level though...

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

LOL don't take it so literal, i was just giving my boy Hayward some props when it came to the whole Hayward vs George debate.

If you are just looking at the stats that were posted earlier. George is essentially a 3pter better than Hayward in a 5minute difference. + a couple of rebounds.

But if you look a this game logs, more often than not when he gets minutes above his average he really produces, and he has had limited opportunities all year long. So going forward I think the future looks real bright for Hayward.
    Weak argument. Common sense dictates that when a rookie is playing well he gets more minutes, when he is not he gets fewer. It completely accounts for "games when he gets more minutes he produces more". It's the opposite, especially since the jazz have had the luxury of bringing him along incrementally over the course of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    Weak argument. Common sense dictates that when a rookie is playing well he gets more minutes, when he is not he gets fewer. It completely accounts for "games when he gets more minutes he produces more". It's the opposite, especially since the jazz have had the luxury of bringing him along incrementally over the course of the year.
    Well i guess Sloan wasn't using common sense was he then...Cause Haywards minutes were all over the chart. He'd play 5 minutes one game, 15 the next, over 30 here and there. No pattern what so ever.

The only reason I'd want Hayward would be for attendance.

Eventually in the near future, we'll reach 16,000+ or so per game because of our success.

Hayward isn't a franchise guy and won't be a potential star like Paul seems to be.

In the home game against the Jazz this season, the place was packed with Hayward fans, but I did see many of the #20s clap and cheer for the Pacers.

The only Indiana standout I'd take who would most likely lead us to be a winning team is Eric Gordon and getting him would sell the place out every game.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think there is a reason people have been saying that PG could very well end up being the steal of this draft class and not Gordon Hayward. His ceiling is Tracy McGrady. Hayward's is like Mike Dunleavy.

Stop kidding yourself if you think they have the same amount of potential.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

One of them had alot of success at the college level though...
    One was on a significantly better team than the other as evidenced by Butler's return to the national championship game. Their stats though, comparable.

Not even commenting on Hayward as I haven't watched him much this year but I think a lot of you may be over estimating George. He has shown me nothing so far that makes me think he is a future franchise player or All Star for that matter. Is he even in the top 10 of his rookie class right now?

26. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I think there is a reason people have been saying that PG could very well end up being the steal of this draft class and not Gordon Hayward. His ceiling is Tracy McGrady. Hayward's is like Mike Dunleavy.

Stop kidding yourself if you think they have the same amount of potential.
    Thank you, is pretty much like asking a team, who do you rather have with the 9th pick Tmac or Dunleavy?

They both seem to be 4th options when on the court. The only difference is that the other 3 on Utah are way better than the 3 ahead of George. George should get more opportunities. Let's just be rooting for both to exceed expectations!

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Thank you, is pretty much like asking a team, who do you rather have with the 9th pick Tmac or Dunleavy?
    That could not be further from the truth.

It was a choice between a guy who could conceivably turn into a T-Mac but is more likely to have an upside as Trevor Ariza and a guy who would at worst be a Mike Dunleavy and could conceivably be a better defensive version of Mike Dunleavy.

If both players hit their peak, George is better. But both players are a long way from their peak.

If Utah had the draft over, they wouldn't take George over Hayward. And we are probably still happy about that.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

A couple things:

-If Utah could do the draft over, they'd take George over Hayward.

-Paul George is better than Gordon Hayward right now. Fact.

-Paul George's ceiling is 10x higher than Hayward's.

-The same people that are praising Hayward while dumping on George just happen to be the same people that are saying that Matt Howard is a legit NBA prospect and comparable to Tyler Hansbrough. Hmm...