Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 156

Thread: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

  1. #1
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,463

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2011040513

    i know graphic-er never had any doubts about Gordon. What about the rest of you? Still think we got over on Utah by drafting Paul George?

  2. #2
    Pacer Junky Will Galen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    10,049

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2011040513

    i know graphic-er never had any doubts about Gordon. What about the rest of you? Still think we got over on Utah by drafting Paul George?
    Duh! I really think opinions don't matter a bit at this stage. Time, and many games will tell, not pointing out how good someone was in one game, or even this season.

    They are both young and as Pacers fans it doesn't matter because we didn't have a chance to draft Gordon. It will matter to some Utah fans if George blows up and Gordon doesn't, because Utah had the choice.

  3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Will Galen For This Useful Post:


  4. #3

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Hayward will be a good, solid NBA player for years. He will probably start for Utah next year. It isnt very smart to doubt him because he has talent.
    George has the potential to be an all=star and might have a higher ceiling, but he also has a higher chance of failure. Hayward was the safer pick.

  5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:


  6. #4
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,463

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Duh! I really think opinions don't matter a bit at this stage. Time, and many games will tell, not pointing out how good someone was in one game, or even this season.

    They are both young and as Pacers fans it doesn't matter because we didn't have a chance to draft Gordon. It will matter to some Utah fans if George blows up and Gordon doesn't, because Utah had the choice.
    true. it doesn't really matter because we had no chance to get him. i just feel somewhat vindicated this morning because Gordon is emerging as a player. scoring 22 against the defending champs as a rookie is impressive. ludicrous that posters like Vnzla thought he was a bust.

  7. #5
    Member Dr. Awesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wilmington, NC
    Posts
    4,249

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    I love how your argument is that one game shows he is a better player.

  8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:


  9. #6

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love how your argument is that one game shows he is a better player.
    I dont know that Gordon is better. Maybe a safer future.

  10. #7

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    I do find it ironic a year ago around this time he almost won the championship for Butler at the last second and he's the hero for this game.

    I do think Hayward will be a serviceable player but the next great Hoosier basketball player since Larry Bird? No

    Although he might've helped Butler win on Monday.

  11. #8
    Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Free Lance!
    Posts
    8,083

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    McHayward.
    .

    .

    .

    .


    “People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

  12. #9
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Message Boards, where you only remember when you are right and demand everyone give you credit for it....

  13. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  14. #10
    Member Pacergeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    3,463

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Awesome View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I love how your argument is that one game shows he is a better player.
    i'm not trying to argue that he is better than Paul George, but i was shredded for suggesting that they are about equal. i mean, people thought i was crazy for even suggesting that they are close. by the way, has Paul hit for 22 this season?

  15. #11
    Member Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Brownsburg
    Posts
    8,528

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'm not trying to argue that he is better than Paul George, but i was shredded for suggesting that they are about equal. i mean, people thought i was crazy for even suggesting that they are close. by the way, has Paul hit for 22 this season?
    Clearly this argument is now settled.

  16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:


  17. #12
    Remember #31 dohman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Dallas, TX
    Posts
    1,333

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by bhaas0532 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i'm not trying to argue that he is better than Paul George, but i was shredded for suggesting that they are about equal. i mean, people thought i was crazy for even suggesting that they are close. by the way, has Paul hit for 22 this season?

    Nope, but when he had the green light he was scoring 12 to 15 a game at 50% from the field.

  18. #13
    Member owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    4,240

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    I would love to have Hayward on the Pacers along with George. Hayward is a good defender. He was on Kobe last night and did a good job. George seems to be determined to be the best he can be so lets hope he can reach his potential.
    {o,o}
    |)__)
    -"-"-

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to owl For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Yeah the guy was impressive last night, he looked good as the point forward and Utah was playing a weird line up with Millsap at the 3 Favors at the 4 and Al at the 5. Like somebody else already said, is just one game and even Adam Morrison had his nights, I wouldn't trade PG for him unless Utah is willing to pay top value, Hayward has the potential to be a bust or Mike Dunleavy(he plays the same way) when PG's ceiling at least I think is way higher.

  21. #15
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,770

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    I never doubted that he would be a good player. My argument against drafting Hayward was against the notion that he would sell tickets.

    I'd be shocked if Hayward turns out to be a better player than Paul George.

  22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  23. #16
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I never doubted that he would be a good player. My argument against drafting Hayward was against the notion that he would sell tickets.

    I'd be shocked if Hayward turns out to be a better player than Paul George.
    He sold a lot of tickets when he came back here this year.

  24. #17
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?



    debate settled.

    Honestly Hayward has proven to be a very good pick at 9th. Sure he has his moments where he looks really bad just like all rookies. Right now I think he is head and shoulders above George. He defended Kobe really well to close out the game last night. Kobe lost the ball there at the end, but Gordon got in good position to pressure the ball, force an off balanced attempt for Kobe, that's about all you can do. That's a player using his length right there.

    As for George I can only hope he gets it together, has clearly hit the rookie wall, cause he looks terrible on Defense, slow to react, looks terrible trying to get his own shot on offense, and seemingly is only interested in bombing wide open 3pters instead of pump faking it to get open for an easy mid range shot. He also takes the most unorthodox layup attempts when he gets in the paint to try and finish.

    As for Indiana not having the opportunity to draft Hayward, they could of pulled off a trade to move up a couple of spots to get him if they really wanted him. I think those picks were up for trade if someone was willing to bite. I kept thinking that we could have swapped picks with LAC.
    Last edited by graphic-er; 04-06-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  25. #18

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    I like Hayward, But the OP is working pretty hard to make me hate him.

  26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Ransom For This Useful Post:


  27. #19
    Administrator Unclebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    32,770

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He sold a lot of tickets when he came back here this year.

    OK, how many are a lot?

    But even if they did 1 game per season is a lot different from 41 home games.

  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:


  29. #20
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    debate settled.

    .
    Get that ****ing **** out of here. Not cool, and it doesn't tell ****.

    George is already better than Hayward, and this discussion will be laughed at two years from now.

  30. #21

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right now I think he is head and shoulders above George.
    George: 20.7mpg, 7.7 pt/3.7 rb/1.1 ast/44.7 FG%/1.1st/0.4bpg
    Hayward: 15.8mpg, 4.7 pt/1.9 rb/1.1 ast/46.5 FG%/0.4 st/0.3 bpg

    Yes, clearly.

  31. The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

    + Show/Hide list of the thanked


  32. #22
    I'm on a MAC! graphic-er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,443

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, how many are a lot?

    But even if they did 1 game per season is a lot different from 41 home games.
    Well the game was a sell out. One of the few we had this year.

    i know that wouldn't' translate to 41 sellouts a year if he was here. But I think one of the biggest reasons to draft him outside of his obvious talent is the fact that he alone would have helped this team make huge strides in being relevant again in the local market.

    I really don't understand it, for a team that says they are bleeding money, haven't made the playoffs in several years. How could they afford not to go after Hayward. Its not like his talent level isn't deserving of 9th pick in the draft. People have said that it is better that he develops on another team. I say how you can afford to let him develop anywhere but Indiana. If the kid is good enough his game is going to shine thru regardless of where is starts his career.

    I'll never forgive Bird for this one. This is Indiana, we are a college basketball state. So when an Indiana player is with in your reach you gotta go get him.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

  33. #23
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Oh God... *Ignore list*

  34. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  35. #24

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Yes, Dallas is still happy they stole Alford from the Pacers.

  36. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:


  37. #25
    Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    The Dragon's Lair
    Posts
    4,102

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Still doubting Gordon Hayward?

    Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    OK, how many are a lot?

    But even if they did 1 game per season is a lot different from 41 home games.
    It is true that only buying a ticket to 1 game is a lot easier than a full season, but I'd imagine that some of the people who bought a ticket to see him would consider it.

    The posted attendance of that game was 16,205. The average attendance on the season has been 13,458.

    From being there, I'd say it was in the top 5 biggest crowds of the season. Unlike the average, which is probably actually much lower, I'd say that single game was pretty close to the actual number of seats filled. Keep in mind, that was a Jazz team that had just traded its best player, so it wasn't like that would be a hot ticket normally.

    Many, many of those people who showed up that night were there to see Hayward. Did you go to that game by any chance?

Similar Threads

  1. Utah Jazz start rookie Gordon Hayward in place of injured Raja Bell [ESPN]
    By RoboHicks in forum NBA Headlines (RSS Feeds)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-15-2010, 09:30 PM
  2. Gordon Hayward to work out with Pacers June 21
    By tsm612 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 06-09-2010, 12:51 PM
  3. Tbird draft analysis: Eric Gordon
    By thunderbird1245 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-22-2008, 10:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •