Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Paul George's trade value: Should we trade for a legit asset now?

Default Re: Paul George's trade value: Should we trade for a legit asset now?

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't understand why people think Paul George has the potential to be a Superstar. I don't think he'll ever be named to an All-Star game.

I can't look at a guy that averages 7 points a game as a starter and only plays 20 minutes a night becoming a superstar. Superstars don't come out of no where. They are usually great from their first season. He's nothing like a Kobe/Wade/Melo/Durant superstar player who during their rookie season in the NBA were remarkable players. Although Kobe could be looked at this way, Kobe came straight from High School and was the Naismith High School Player of the Year, Gatorade Men's National Basketball Player of the Year, a McDonald's All-American, and a USA Today All-USA First Team player.

That doesn't mean that I don't like him or don't think he could become a valuable starter in a couple of years. I just think he is closer to being a Trevor Ariza type player than he is to being the best player on a good team.
    Because he has great size, athletisim, pretty form on his jump shot, and can defend, in spurts, at an incredible level. Not to mention a lot of those players were not near as raw as George coming out of college. I didn't expect him to even play much this year.

The reason I think he can be a top player is because of his insane body control. He is absurdly smooth in his motions which took me by surprise when I first saw him. When you consider that he has only been playing the wing position for 3 years now his smoothness is even more impressive.

He was playing incredibly well when he was the man to score off the bench. I really hate that he's stuck with the starters because none of them, besides Roy, are good passers. I think he could put up 10-15 a game if he was given more chances to score and stopped shooting spot up threes so much.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Maybe he's like McGrady?
    It's possible. Still TMac was a McDonald's All-American and ranked number 1 by USA Today coming out of High School. He was expected to be great because he was great in High School.

Paul George is sort of a late bloomer. He didn't play AAU basketball and he was unheralded coming out of High School. With that said, that could be something in his favor considering he's able to do what he's doing without as much organized basketball training. I definitely think he'll get better but not All-Star level good. Maybe one notch below. I see Trevor Ariza when I see him play.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I see Trevor Ariza when I see him play.

His jumpshot, especially midrange, is already better. Plus he has pretty good ability to not only create a jumpshot for himself, but get to the basket.

Right now he has to rely on those awkward layups, but when the game slows down he'll get short little bunnies under control, or he'll be getting big time dunks.

Defensively I definitely see the comparison though.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Since86 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not worried about Paul.

He plays like a rookie and some of his issues are common for most rookies which can be improved.

He's still pretty raw with handling the ball and he's not shooting at a high percentage like in college which will take a little while to adjust.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Who are we to believe NBA GM's or you? The people who get paid millions of dollars overwhelmingly would take a quality pg over a quality sg. Not even an argument. Since 2000 16 pg's taken in top 5. Only 7 sg's. So this pg obsession is not a fallacy, it is a fact.
    You are only using 10 years of NBA draft history to support your opinion as fact. There have been some very good point guards in the league over this time, doesn't it also make sense that those GM's were drafting more point guards in an attempt to find one that can compete with them. Out of all these point guards drafted how many of them are elite?

It's possible. Still TMac was a McDonald's All-American and ranked number 1 by USA Today coming out of High School. He was expected to be great because he was great in High School.

Paul George is sort of a late bloomer. He didn't play AAU basketball and he was unheralded coming out of High School. With that said, that could be something in his favor considering he's able to do what he's doing without as much organized basketball training. I definitely think he'll get better but not All-Star level good. Maybe one notch below. I see Trevor Ariza when I see him play.
    Paul is a better passer then Ariza already. I can see what you're saying defensively, though.

I really think one thing that Paul doesn't get enough credit for is his passing. It seems like most of the time he's looking to pass rather than shoot (almost to a fault) and he's had some great passes lately.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been saying Paul is more like McGrady than any other player I've seen. The fluidity to his game is remarkable, especially for a rookie. He has better body control, by far, than anyone else on the team. His decision making is pretty damn good for a rookie. He will make rookie mistakes, but that is too be expected. Its things that I can see him fix easily.

One thing that I see and love from Paul is in a situation like this: So many times a young player will receive a long pass and end up under the basket with a trailing defender coming for a LeBron type block. Very often the shot gets blocked, no foul and just a waste of an opportunity. A lot of guys in the NBA do this. Paul is GREAT at anticipating this. He doesn't rush it to miss the easy shot or get it blocked. He waits for the defender to get in a bad position, making the shot easier and often draws a foul.

It's such a small thing, but to me it shows that he really has a good understanding of the flow of the game. I think overall he has some great anticipation and you see him just burst through the hole like its easy. When he drives its not like a typical attack the basket I see often. Its just so smooth. It's McGrady like when he does it.

To me I just see a very special player in Paul George. I don't see that fluidity in Ariza's game. I don't see it in many average player's games. I see it in Kobe's, Vince Carter's, McGrady's and so on. That's what really impresses me the most about Paul George. His outside shot is going to start falling sooner than later. Then it will be Paul's world and we will all just be living in it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    OK, but then trade him when he is "maybe as good as Danny" not now. Unless there is a team out there who is convinced he will be a superstar - but I doubt there are any of those teams.
    I agree, I was just mentioning that because many people here expect so much from him, I compare him to Rush, he haven't been able to meet their expectations and now they want to trade and cut the guy, again my expectations for him are high but if he becomes as good as Ariza I wouldn't be as mad as many here.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

I think that Paul George is already better than Trevor Ariza.

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Paul showed tonight why we all think he is our future franchise player. We have to remember he is still just a rookie and he will have his ups and downs. Given experience, he is only going to become better and more consistent. Seems like he has a better work ethic and drive to be great than Danny too
    Murph

paul could be a bust. anything is possible. but he looks like a guy that will only get better. he has a nice handle, a little loose, but that would seem to be fixable. he gets to the rim easily, but has trouble finishing. that also seems fixable by getting used to the NBA game. his 3 pt shot from up top is iffy, but he shoots ok inside the line. that would seem to be something else that will fix itself by getting used to NBA 3 pt line. he doesn't use his height well, but as he gets bigger and stronger, that should add itself to his game. he is a little passive, that could be problematical. or not. things like a weak off hand will get fixed in time.

there is no great hole in his game. he runs, rebounds, blocks shots, passes, seems to see the court pretty well. everything points to being a pretty good player. i agree with PP33, paul looks like a future franchise player. getting rid of him for anyone outside of guys named dwight or lebron would seem to be a stupid thing to do.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul George's trade value?

(More than Gordan Hayward)
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

Quote Originally Posted by crazylikeafox View Post
    You are only using 10 years of NBA draft history to support your opinion as fact. There have been some very good point guards in the league over this time, doesn't it also make sense that those GM's were drafting more point guards in an attempt to find one that can compete with them. Out of all these point guards drafted how many of them are elite?
    Not only that but one could argue that your sample only includes the worst GMs in the league.
    Last edited by Blink; 04-07-2011 at 04:13 PM.