Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Paul George's trade value: Should we trade for a legit asset now?

Default Paul George's trade value: Should we trade for a legit asset now?

Let me preface by saying I'm a huge Paul George fan. I don't ever want to see him traded. Right now I'd rather trade every player on the Pacers roster before trading PG.

What I'd like to discuss is how valuable Paul George is as a trade asset and what we could get from him. The truth is Paul George is most likely the highest and most valuable trade asset on the Pacers. I don't think this is homer talk, I think if the Pacers were to consider trading PG, they'd have a lot of takers.

The truth is, we could probably trade Paul now, and get someone like Stephen Curry no problem. I have little doubt that they[GS] would be willing to do that.

What we all know is if the Pacers are ever going to truly compete, we need some real performance on the floor. In other words, Paul George quickly shows he's going to turn into a really good player, or we have to make trades to get better draft picks. I don't think anyone would dispute this. We aren't going to win with Granger as our best player.

So that's my question. Would you trade George for Curry? (that's only one example) And I think it is a tough question as well, because if that were to happen the Pacers lineup would change to be Curry, Rush, Granger, Tyler and Hibbert going forward.

Eventually Curry would get a high paying contract. Would that team ever turn into real winner? In other words, just from a pure value standpoint, the correct move for the Pacers might be to Hold on to George and see how he turns out- Because if he doesn't turn into anything special the next move would be to "blow up" the team and go for a new high draft pick.

The core of my message and/or question is that the Pacers are obviously stuck currently as a mediocre ball club. What would you do? Use Paul George now as a trade asset?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mattie; 04-05-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: Paul George's trade value: Should we trade for a legit asset now?

I see no reason to trade him now. No one we can get for him will take us to the next level. Let him develop over the next two seasons and pray for danny granger type results.

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see no reason to trade him now. No one we can get for him will take us to the next level. Let him develop over the next two seasons and pray for danny granger type results.
    I actually completely agree with that. I'm merely trying to think of it from a good GM's aspect. In other words, from a pure winning standpoint, if I were to ignore how much I love watching PG play and consider what it takes to build a true winner, would it be smart to trade PG?

I tend to think the answer is no. But I also wonder, what is the ceiling of someone like Curry?

I dont see any reason to trade him now either. If we could get an asset that we need more than him I would be interested. We have more talent at the wing position than at pg. I would trade him in a flash for star pg with a reasonable contract because we have a greater need there. I would really rather trade Granger though.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I actually completely agree with that. I'm merely trying to think of it from a good GM's aspect. In other words, from a pure winning standpoint, if I were to ignore how much I love watching PG play and consider what it takes to build a true winner, would it be smart to trade PG?

I tend to think the answer is no. But I also wonder, what is the ceiling of someone like Curry?
    I understand your thinking but a star pg is much harder to find (and more important to the team) than a sg or sf. Always take the star pg in the deal unless you have to give up a star Center.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I understand your thinking but a star pg is much harder to find (and more important to the team) than a sg or sf. Always take the star pg in the deal unless you have to give up a star Center.
    how many top tier point guards have won a title in the past 10 years.

Personally I feel a point guard should only average around 10 ppg and have just as many assists while playing lock down defense.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Not yet as good as DG's I'd say.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

10. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

how many top tier point guards have won a title in the past 10 years.

Personally I feel a point guard should only average around 10 ppg and have just as many assists while playing lock down defense.
    That sounds like a top tier pg to me!
    Titles? Rondo, Parker, Billups,
    Just about every team had one except the Lakers.

The pg does not have to be a DRose type. One like you mentioned would be outstanding provided he "can" score more if needed!

So would you trade PG for Curry then? Hoping Curry would be that star PG?

By the way comparing star PG's to SG's over the last decade, we can definitely come to the conclusion SG have the advantage.

We can count Manu's, Kobe's rings, and that number comes to a lot higher number than say if we were to add up Deron Williams, Steve Nash's, Jason Kidd's, and Chris Paul's.

The idea that star PG's are extremely important to a team success has been proven wrong for 20 years. Not since Isaiah Thomas have we seen a superstar PG win a championship.

Not too say there aren't other circumstances outside of those particular PG's control that kept them from winning championships! But lets not jump to the conclusion that PG's = winning. History shows us the opposite.

So would you trade PG for Curry then? Hoping Curry would be that star PG?

By the way comparing star PG's to SG's over the last decade, we can definitely come to the conclusion SG have the advantage.

We can count Manu's, Kobe's rings, and that number comes to a lot higher number than say if we were to add up Deron Williams, Steve Nash's, Jason Kidd's, and Chris Paul's.

The idea that star PG's are extremely important to a team success has been proven wrong for 20 years. Not since Isaiah Thomas have we seen a superstar PG win a championship.

Not too say there aren't other circumstances outside of those particular PG's control that kept them from winning championships! But lets not jump to the conclusion that PG's = winning. History shows us the opposite.
    I am not sure Curry is that type of pg. I really havent seen him play much. I am under the assumption he is elite based on the comments from this board. If he is an elite pg then I would trade George for him in a nano-second.

[QUOTE=mattie;1208012]

In the last 10 years 50% of the titles have been won by a team with an elite pg. Take out the lakers and only one team (Miami) has done it without one.

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Not yet as good as DG's I'd say.
    If you take DG's contract and add up his regressed play this year, I don't think he's quite as valuable as we would think.

Contracts play a huge part in a players actual trade value.

That sounds like a top tier pg to me!
    Titles? Rondo, Parker, Billups,
    Just about every team had one except the Lakers.

The pg does not have to be a DRose type. One like you mentioned would be outstanding provided he "can" score more if needed!

Not many would consider what I consider a pg to be as a good point guard.

Billups was not a star yet. Rondo was a rookie who has all stars at every position around him. Parker intrigues me, I do not know if he is that good or if its pops system.

When I say top tier point guards I mean top 5.

If you take DG's contract and add up his regressed play this year, I don't think he's quite as valuable as we would think.

Contracts play a huge part in a players actual trade value.
    Wasnt there just an article on ESPN.com where the writer stated that the Pacers value Granger more than all the other NBA teams do?

Billups was not a star yet. Rondo was a rookie who has all stars at every position around him. Parker intrigues me, I do not know if he is that good or if its pops system.

When I say top tier point guards I mean top 5.
    I strongly disagree with some of what you said. Billups was most definitely a star then and Rondo has been back to the finals twice. Parker and Billups are probably Hall of Famers. Billups is a slam dunk.

[QUOTE=troyc11a;1208017]

In the last 10 years 50% of the titles have been won by a team with an elite pg. Take out the lakers and only one team (Miami) has done it without one.
    None of those guys were elite.

Even this year, as Rondo has turned into what most people consider an elite point guard for the first thime in his career, all his fans in Boston want him traded. They say he turns the ball over too much and he still cannot shoot.

I realize that this is sortof boiling down to semantics on what a true elite point guard is- But maybe we should instead argue on what kind of point guard it takes to actually win a title?

I'd say point guard that isn't the greatest passer, yet one who doesn't turn the ball over, one who has a decent jump shot, and plays decent defense will win a championship. I'd also say those type of point guards are much easier to find than someone like Manu Ginobili. I'd also describe that point guard as Tony Parker.

You know what would be interesting? Go back and see how many pg's and how many sg's are taken in the top 5 of the draft each year. That should settle the argument over which is most important.

I strongly disagree with some of what you said. Billups was most definitely a star then and Rondo has been back to the finals twice. Parker and Billups are probably Hall of Famers. Billups is a slam dunk.
    I hate quoting stats.. But really look at his numbers that year.

17 ppg on 39% shooting with 5 assits per game.

DC this year in his second season

13 ppg with 45% shooting with 5 assists per game.

Billups is a very good point guard. He was just a star in the making that year. Nothing elite about him then.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wouldnt trade him and I don't think that he has a really high trade value right now anyways.

I just hope he can get his 3pt shooting together...

I still would love to see what Evan Turner can do at the point on a different team.

He still has all star potential with the right team, I would be interested trading for him.

I'm probably the minority on that one as well, lol.

I am sorry, but you could put a bag of wet crap with pierce, allen, and garnett and you would be in the finals, and the bag of crap would average 10 assists per game.

I think rondo is a very good point guard. I would like to see his production on a sub par team.

Since 2000, the number of players taken at each position in the top 5:

Point Guards: 16
    Shoot Guards: 7

No doubt then that GM's put a premium on pg's more than sg's. And I didnt know the facts until just now!

I am sorry, but you could put a bag of wet crap with pierce, allen, and garnett and you would be in the finals, and the bag of crap would average 10 assists per game.

I think rondo is a very good point guard. I would like to see his production on a sub par team.
    To be honest, I hear the exact opposite about other players. Most would agree that production increases when you play on a bad team. Reggie even said about Granger, "Someone has to score on a bad team"

You know what would be interesting? Go back and see how many pg's and how many sg's are taken in the top 5 of the draft each year. That should settle the argument over which is most important.
    Ok so again, if thats what you believe wouldn't it be the smartest thing to trade Paul George for a PG? Would you trade him for John Wall, or Stephen Curry, or someone else you think would be an elite point guard?

Also, I'd really like to believe that elite point guards are the key to success. I really would, and I'm not attempting to argue for the sake of argument. Help me understand. I'm being serious....

If I go back to the 1990-91 season, I've seen a top 5 shooting guard win 14 championships. This is a fact.

Now since that date how many top 5 point guards have won??? Prior to winning a championship if you take the 3 players you named NONE of them would be considered elite point guards. I mean it seems as if once they win one then suddenly they were elite! They were certainly not top 5.

Ok, so maybe if they were elite? Than maybe our definition of elite needs to change! Guards like Deron Williams, Derrick Rose and Steve Nash must not be elite then right? Billups is a far superior point guard. Is that the truth?

By the way, after winning their first championship with tony parker, the spurs wanted to trade him.... FYI.
    Last edited by mattie; 04-05-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Ok so again, if thats what you believe wouldn't it be the smartest thing to trade Paul George for a PG? Would you trade him for John Wall, or Stephen Curry, or someone else you think would be an elite point guard?

Also, I'd really like to believe that elite point guards are the key to success. I really would, and I'm not attempting to argue for the sake of argument. Help me understand. I'm being serious....

If I go back to the 1990-91 season, I've seen a top 5 shooting guard win 14 championships. This is a fact.

Now since that date how many top 5 point guards have won??? Prior to winning a championship if you take the 3 players you named NONE of them would be considered elite point guards. I mean it seems as if once they one then suddenly they were elite! They were certainly not top 5.

Ok, so maybe if they were elite? Than maybe our definition of elite needs to change! Guards like Deron Williams, Derrick Rose and Steve Nash must not be elite then right? Billups is a far superior point guard. Is that the truth?

Yes I would trade him for Wall. I am not up on Curry though. Dont know enough about him. Can he play "D"?
    There is only one reason you went back that far: Michael Jordan! You take out him and Kobe and only 1 elite sg wins a title.
    How many Jordan's or Kobe's are out there?

Why not go back to the 1980s then:
    Magic = 5 rings
    D. Johnson = 2 rings
    I. Thomas = 2 rings

There is only one reason you went back that far: Michael Jordan! You take out him and Kobe and only 1 elite sg wins a title.
    How many Jordan's or Kobe's are out there?

Why not go back to the 1980s then:
    Magic = 5 rings
    D. Johnson = 2 rings
    I. Thomas = 2 rings
    Manu Ginobili and Kobe Bryant have more rings combined than MJ. So it probably would have actually helped my argument if I didn't include the 90's

Edit- Magic one 4 titles as a PG. So one year we have proof that virtually the same team that one 5 titles? literally removed their elite point guard and still won a title.

Now I know for a fact that if Derrick Rose has an elite player playing at almost any other position they'd probably win a title. I think there is no question if you have elite players on a team they'll win a title. THat's why Magic, James Worthy and Kareem all won titles. They were a great team.

The real question is whether Derrick can win a title now as the only elite player on his team???
    Last edited by mattie; 04-05-2011 at 10:27 PM.