Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Paul George's trade value: Should we trade for a legit asset now?

Hybrid View

Default Paul George's trade value: Should we trade for a legit asset now?

Let me preface by saying I'm a huge Paul George fan. I don't ever want to see him traded. Right now I'd rather trade every player on the Pacers roster before trading PG.

What I'd like to discuss is how valuable Paul George is as a trade asset and what we could get from him. The truth is Paul George is most likely the highest and most valuable trade asset on the Pacers. I don't think this is homer talk, I think if the Pacers were to consider trading PG, they'd have a lot of takers.

The truth is, we could probably trade Paul now, and get someone like Stephen Curry no problem. I have little doubt that they[GS] would be willing to do that.

What we all know is if the Pacers are ever going to truly compete, we need some real performance on the floor. In other words, Paul George quickly shows he's going to turn into a really good player, or we have to make trades to get better draft picks. I don't think anyone would dispute this. We aren't going to win with Granger as our best player.

So that's my question. Would you trade George for Curry? (that's only one example) And I think it is a tough question as well, because if that were to happen the Pacers lineup would change to be Curry, Rush, Granger, Tyler and Hibbert going forward.

Eventually Curry would get a high paying contract. Would that team ever turn into real winner? In other words, just from a pure value standpoint, the correct move for the Pacers might be to Hold on to George and see how he turns out- Because if he doesn't turn into anything special the next move would be to "blow up" the team and go for a new high draft pick.

The core of my message and/or question is that the Pacers are obviously stuck currently as a mediocre ball club. What would you do? Use Paul George now as a trade asset?

Thoughts?
    Last edited by mattie; 04-05-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Default Re: Paul George's trade value: Should we trade for a legit asset now?

I see no reason to trade him now. No one we can get for him will take us to the next level. Let him develop over the next two seasons and pray for danny granger type results.

Quote Originally Posted by dohman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see no reason to trade him now. No one we can get for him will take us to the next level. Let him develop over the next two seasons and pray for danny granger type results.
    I actually completely agree with that. I'm merely trying to think of it from a good GM's aspect. In other words, from a pure winning standpoint, if I were to ignore how much I love watching PG play and consider what it takes to build a true winner, would it be smart to trade PG?

I tend to think the answer is no. But I also wonder, what is the ceiling of someone like Curry?

Quote Originally Posted by mattie View Post
    I actually completely agree with that. I'm merely trying to think of it from a good GM's aspect. In other words, from a pure winning standpoint, if I were to ignore how much I love watching PG play and consider what it takes to build a true winner, would it be smart to trade PG?

I tend to think the answer is no. But I also wonder, what is the ceiling of someone like Curry?
    I understand your thinking but a star pg is much harder to find (and more important to the team) than a sg or sf. Always take the star pg in the deal unless you have to give up a star Center.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I understand your thinking but a star pg is much harder to find (and more important to the team) than a sg or sf. Always take the star pg in the deal unless you have to give up a star Center.
    how many top tier point guards have won a title in the past 10 years.

Personally I feel a point guard should only average around 10 ppg and have just as many assists while playing lock down defense.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dohman For This Useful Post:

Personally I feel a point guard should only average around 10 ppg and have just as many assists while playing lock down defense.
    That sounds like a top tier pg to me!
    Titles? Rondo, Parker, Billups,
    Just about every team had one except the Lakers.

The pg does not have to be a DRose type. One like you mentioned would be outstanding provided he "can" score more if needed!

This is an interesting point. Was Isaiah Thomas the last star point guard to lead his team to a title?

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    So would you trade PG for Curry then? Hoping Curry would be that star PG?

By the way comparing star PG's to SG's over the last decade, we can definitely come to the conclusion SG have the advantage.

We can count Manu's, Kobe's rings, and that number comes to a lot higher number than say if we were to add up Deron Williams, Steve Nash's, Jason Kidd's, and Chris Paul's.

The idea that star PG's are extremely important to a team success has been proven wrong for 20 years. Not since Isaiah Thomas have we seen a superstar PG win a championship.

Not too say there aren't other circumstances outside of those particular PG's control that kept them from winning championships! But lets not jump to the conclusion that PG's = winning. History shows us the opposite.

So would you trade PG for Curry then? Hoping Curry would be that star PG?

By the way comparing star PG's to SG's over the last decade, we can definitely come to the conclusion SG have the advantage.

We can count Manu's, Kobe's rings, and that number comes to a lot higher number than say if we were to add up Deron Williams, Steve Nash's, Jason Kidd's, and Chris Paul's.

The idea that star PG's are extremely important to a team success has been proven wrong for 20 years. Not since Isaiah Thomas have we seen a superstar PG win a championship.

Not too say there aren't other circumstances outside of those particular PG's control that kept them from winning championships! But lets not jump to the conclusion that PG's = winning. History shows us the opposite.
    I am not sure Curry is that type of pg. I really havent seen him play much. I am under the assumption he is elite based on the comments from this board. If he is an elite pg then I would trade George for him in a nano-second.

[QUOTE=mattie;1208012]

In the last 10 years 50% of the titles have been won by a team with an elite pg. Take out the lakers and only one team (Miami) has done it without one.

I dont see any reason to trade him now either. If we could get an asset that we need more than him I would be interested. We have more talent at the wing position than at pg. I would trade him in a flash for star pg with a reasonable contract because we have a greater need there. I would really rather trade Granger though.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to troyc11a For This Useful Post:

Not yet as good as DG's I'd say.
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata

15. The Following User Says Thank You to D-BONE For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by D-BONE View Post
    Not yet as good as DG's I'd say.
    If you take DG's contract and add up his regressed play this year, I don't think he's quite as valuable as we would think.

Contracts play a huge part in a players actual trade value.

If you take DG's contract and add up his regressed play this year, I don't think he's quite as valuable as we would think.

Contracts play a huge part in a players actual trade value.
    Wasnt there just an article on ESPN.com where the writer stated that the Pacers value Granger more than all the other NBA teams do?

By the way as an interesting side note, in the last 20 years? The best player at each individual position excluding point guard has one a title at one time. This is indisputable.
    Last edited by mattie; 04-05-2011 at 10:37 PM.

Also, I need to adjust my numbers from earlier.

Actually a top 5 shooting guard has been on EVERY championship team in the last 10 years. Edit- Except the Pistons. Of course some would argue when they won? Rip was a top 5 shooting guard.

Kobe Bryant, Manu Ginobili, Dwayne Wade, and Paul Pierce.
    Last edited by mattie; 04-05-2011 at 10:50 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Also, I need to adjust my numbers from earlier.

Actually a top 5 shooting guard has been on EVERY championship team in the last 10 years. Edit- Except the Pistons. Of course some would argue when they won? Rip was a top 5 shooting guard.

Kobe Bryant, Manu Ginobili, Dwayne Wade, and Paul Pierce.
    Paul Pierce is a small forward. And Kobe has won 5 of those.

There is not right or wrong answer to this thread. What it comes down to is you need damn good players to win a title. And usually you need multiple ones. Each SG brought up in this thread had a star with them, even Jordan had Pippen. Kobe had Shaq and Pau, Manu had Duncan (who was the most important piece on those teams, not Manu) and Parker, Wade had Shaq. And even though Pierce is a SF he had KG and Ray Allen.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Paul Pierce is a small forward. And Kobe has won 5 of those.

There is not right or wrong answer to this thread. What it comes down to is you need damn good players to win a title. And usually you need multiple ones. Each SG brought up in this thread had a star with them, even Jordan had Pippen. Kobe had Shaq and Pau, Manu had Duncan (who was the most important piece on those teams, not Manu) and Parker, Wade had Shaq. And even though Pierce is a SF he had KG and Ray Allen.
    You're exactly right. The point is you need truly great players. Not a truly great point guard. That's what I'm getting at. There has been a running theme that if we don't get a great point guard we cannot win a championship. That is completely false. That is my only argument. lol. It is a myth I'm trying to dispel.
    Last edited by mattie; 04-05-2011 at 11:29 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Actually a top 5 shooting guard has been on EVERY championship team in the last 10 years. Edit- Except the Pistons.
    That Pistons team is the exception to every NBA rule of success.

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

If the goal is to trade Paul George, at least wait until he appears untouchable and has high value. He's not there.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to imawhat For This Useful Post:

I'm at a loss at how this "point guard = win" came about. Because we've seen a truly elite non-point guard on every Championship team except the Pistons.

We've seen plenty of championships without truly elite point guards. In fact I'd say everyone in the last 20 years hasn't had an elite point guard. The argument that Billups, Parker and Rondo are elite is made I think only to give their original argument ground to stand on.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to mattie For This Useful Post:

I'm sorry. This if dumb. Paul george is potentially a super star. You don't trade him.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

I don't care how wrong everyone tells me I am . Two years from now , Paul George will be a top 10 player in the NBA.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foul on Smits For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Foul on Smits View Post
    I don't care how wrong everyone tells me I am . Two years from now , Paul George will be a top 10 player in the NBA.
    That is why I dont want to trade him unless they get an all star caliber pg in return. Nobody is trading that kind of pg for George. So its best to keep him.

The mentality of this team by some people on this board is quite humorous.

Ever since he started, which is what everyone wanted, the lovefest for him has fallen and now if you want to trade Paul George, that pretty much says you have no patience.

Sorry if players can't be perfect every game. Especially a rookie.

Trading him would be one of the biggest mistakes. We may have the next Indy hero in the making.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!

35. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scot Pollard For This Useful Post: