Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 49 of 49

Thread: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

  1. #26
    Mjolnir Diamond Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Crawfordsville
    Age
    28
    Posts
    2,175
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    I'm just glad to see Sabonis in there. It is a true tragedy that us here in the US did not get to see this guy play till late in his career. A one of a kind talent. I truly believe that had he spent his entire career in the NBA he would be ranked in the top 5 centers of all-time.
    House Name: Pacers

    House Sigil:



    House Words: "We Kneel To No King"

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diamond Dave For This Useful Post:


  3. #27
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,728

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    He does forever have his youtube highlight of him toying with david robinson in his 20's....

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  5. #28
    Can see thru wooden doors dal9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    2,909

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    they took ourrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr jobbbss...


    er, spots in the hall of fame



  6. #29
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    At long last one of the most glaring omissions from the HoF will be rectified.

    Long Live The A-Train!!!!!!



    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peck For This Useful Post:


  8. #30
    A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Indy
    Age
    27
    Posts
    411

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    First, Congrats to Mullins, Rodman, and Sabonis.

    Second, Robert Horry won 7 rings, 2 w/Rockets, 3 Lakers, 2 Spurs. And the only non Celtic (everyone tied or above him wore green for all of them).

    Third, Too many Pacers fans overate Miller. Miller didn't deserve first ballot honors, and really is a fringe player to make it at all. Not saying there isn't people less deserving in the hall(after all, the hall is a joke).

    Forth, If anyone thinks that Rodman doesn't deserve to be in or to be over Reggie must be crazy (as crazy as Rodman maybe). He's one of the best defenders(2 DPY and 7 first team def and 1 2nd team) and rebounders (he averaged 18.7 while playing 82 games one season and averaged over 16 in his prime) in Basket ball history, was the 3rd best player on arguably the best team ever. And oh yea, 5 championships with 2 teams.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard_Skull For This Useful Post:


  10. #31
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Chris Mullin before Reggie. Biggest crock of I've ever seen.

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to grace For This Useful Post:


  12. #32
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Everyone keeps saying Mullin over Reggie, but that's not relevant. Chris Mullin retired 10 years ago and Reggie only 6. Reggie will get in in less years than it took Mullin because he is a more deserving candidate, but the amount of time you've waited is taken in to account for the hall. Reggie wasn't a first ballot hall of famer, but he's likely second or third ballot.

    Artis Gilmore- way overdue.

  13. #33

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everyone keeps saying Mullin over Reggie, but that's not relevant. Chris Mullin retired 10 years ago and Reggie only 6. Reggie will get in in less years than it took Mullin because he is a more deserving candidate, but the amount of time you've waited is taken in to account for the hall. Reggie wasn't a first ballot hall of famer, but he's likely second or third ballot.

    Artis Gilmore- way overdue.
    This is the problem with the system of the Hall. If the player is deserving, he should get in regardless of when he's retired. I mean, what's the bearing of being retired 10 years ago as opposed to being retired 6 years ago? He's (Reggie) already in the consideration, and is widely recognized by his colleagues in the business, so if the requirement is "he should be retired this long" is shallow if you ask me.

    Congratulations to the new HOFs. Mullin, Artis, Sabonis and Rodman really deserved to be there.

    As for those who are saying that Rodman is not deserving, well let's not be blindsided by his off-court antics. He was the best of the best in rebounding and defense (he has successfully guarded guards like Jordan to a top-notch PFs and Cs like Malone and Shaq). He maybe one-dimensional, but he's so great at his one-dimensional skill. Plus, he's been an integral part of the 5 championships his teams had. It's not like he was just some 10-12th man who played sparingly to hack somebody from the opposing team.

  14. #34
    Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Tucson AZ
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,058
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Second, Robert Horry won 7 rings, 2 w/Rockets, 3 Lakers, 2 Spurs. And the only non Celtic (everyone tied or above him wore green for all of them).
    Well him having 7 should almost definently make him into the hall if Satch could make it with 8. To me winning 7 with different teams in different roles, in different times in his career is really tough, I think I forgot his last championship with the Spurs because he barely played besides cheap-shotting Nash.

    But to me there's no doubt he should get in with 7 titles in this type of league, as you said, it's the most by any non-Celtic player.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

    ----------------- Reggie Miller

  15. #35
    Member Isaac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    25
    Posts
    3,146

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by 15th parallel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is the problem with the system of the Hall. If the player is deserving, he should get in regardless of when he's retired. I mean, what's the bearing of being retired 10 years ago as opposed to being retired 6 years ago? He's (Reggie) already in the consideration, and is widely recognized by his colleagues in the business, so if the requirement is "he should be retired this long" is shallow if you ask me.
    Agree to disagree. I think it's a fair system, a guy like Mullin deserves to be in the hall, but doesn't deserve to be mentioned with first ballot hofers. When you talk about the hall of fame, and players who are enshrined in it, I think it's fine to have something quantitative to tell you, ok Michael Jordan got in on his first try, and Reggie on his second. Both deserve to be recognized, but Michael earned the right to wait a year less than Reggie.

  16. #36
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ...I think it's a fair system... When you talk about the hall of fame, and players who are enshrined in it, I think it's fine to have something quantitative to tell you, ok Michael Jordan got in on his first try, and Reggie on his second. Both deserve to be recognized, but Michael earned the right to wait a year less than Reggie.

    Ai ai ai...

    This is exactly the thing that makes the HoF an UN-fair sham of an institution.

    Oh... "So and so" (who has been retired for a number of years) didn't deserve to be in it LAST year, but THIS year it's a totally new ballgame let me tell you!

    It's a ridiculous and insanely biased double standard.

    Look at this year for example:

    Satch Sanders was a member of 8 Celtic championship teams.

    He has a career total of 8,766 points. Now I am not a big Celtics historian, and I am not discounting that he may have been a "Jeff Foster" type player for those Celtic teams... But I highly doubt that he was a significant difference maker in all (if any) of those championship teams with his career numbers looking the way they look. Again I could be mistaken, but this is just an observation based on NUMBERS (which is apparently all the HoF cares about)

    So you are honestly telling me that this guy deserves to be inducted into the hall this year over a player like Reggie Miller??!?!?

    I don't care if Satch has been eligible for 1 year or 100... There is NO way to justify admitting him and excluding a player like Reggie Miller or a figure like Slick Leonard.

    Hell, if we are admitting players for being marginal players on a ton of championship teams, why haven't Luc Longley and Bill Wennington been inducted. BJ Armstrong perhaps? Rick Fox?! DEVEAN GEORGE?!?!?!

    When will this insanity end?

    Players like Reggie not getting in for X number of years due to this political BS posturing where some enigmatic entity deems them "unworthy until they've waited sufficiently" is flat out WRONG.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  17. #37
    RING THE BELL! Sandman21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Area55
    Posts
    6,187

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Instead of inducting Sanders as an individual, why not just induct those Celtic teams as a squad ala Dream Team 1?
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

    "And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

  18. #38
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Instead of inducting Sanders as an individual, why not just induct those Celtic teams as a squad ala Dream Team 1?
    See now that actually would make some sense.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  19. #39
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,822

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ai ai ai...

    This is exactly the thing that makes the HoF an UN-fair sham of an institution.

    Oh... "So and so" (who has been retired for a number of years) didn't deserve to be in it LAST year, but THIS year it's a totally new ballgame let me tell you!

    It's a ridiculous and insanely biased double standard.

    Look at this year for example:

    Satch Sanders was a member of 8 Celtic championship teams.

    He has a career total of 8,766 points. Now I am not a big Celtics historian, and I am not discounting that he may have been a "Jeff Foster" type player for those Celtic teams... But I highly doubt that he was a significant difference maker in all (if any) of those championship teams with his career numbers looking the way they look. Again I could be mistaken, but this is just an observation based on NUMBERS (which is apparently all the HoF cares about)

    So you are honestly telling me that this guy deserves to be inducted into the hall this year over a player like Reggie Miller??!?!?

    I don't care if Satch has been eligible for 1 year or 100... There is NO way to justify admitting him and excluding a player like Reggie Miller or a figure like Slick Leonard.

    Hell, if we are admitting players for being marginal players on a ton of championship teams, why haven't Luc Longley and Bill Wennington been inducted. BJ Armstrong perhaps? Rick Fox?! DEVEAN GEORGE?!?!?!

    When will this insanity end?

    Players like Reggie not getting in for X number of years due to this political BS posturing where some enigmatic entity deems them "unworthy until they've waited sufficiently" is flat out WRONG.
    You do realize this is how every HOF works and has been that way forever right? Its not like the basketball HOF is the first to do it and just started. And I think it is perfectly fine to define a player as a first ballot HOF'er or not. Reggie wasn't on the same level as MJ, Malone and so on. Why should he be recognized as if he was?

    And you don't know much about Satch do you? Sure he wasn't a big scorer, but there is much more to the game than basketball. Do some research on the guy before you just go and call him a marginal player. The man was best known for his defense. He won 8 rings, which is the third most all time. He was viewed as a key piece on the Celtics and has his number retired by the franchise. Not to mention he played in 450 consecutive games.

  20. #40
    Honorary Area 55'er TMJ31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Posts
    4,803

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You do realize this is how every HOF works and has been that way forever right? Its not like the basketball HOF is the first to do it and just started. And I think it is perfectly fine to define a player as a first ballot HOF'er or not. Reggie wasn't on the same level as MJ, Malone and so on. Why should he be recognized as if he was?
    Of course I realize this. However, since we are talking about the basketball HoF, I don't really think mentioning the others is relevant.

    Furthermore, just because "all the rest do it too" does not make it the right thing to do.

    And to address your other point... The HoF does NOT "Define" what makes a first ballot HoF'er and what does not... It's all 'cloak and dagger' secret-society politics.
    The public never knows how or why certain people are chosen or not chosen.

    Just look at what happened with Reggie... His lack of inclusion on the finalist ballot was leading news on all the sporting websites and tv shows, because it was such a
    shocking event for anyone who knows anything about basketball...

    So no, they don't "Define" anything.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And you don't know much about Satch do you? Sure he wasn't a big scorer, but there is much more to the game than basketball. Do some research on the guy before you just go and call him a marginal player. The man was best known for his defense. He won 8 rings, which is the third most all time. He was viewed as a key piece on the Celtics and has his number retired by the franchise. Not to mention he played in 450 consecutive games.
    Nope, as I said directly in my post, I don't...

    I have no doubt that he was known for his defense since his offensive stats are mediocre at best. Ahhhhh, well you make a good observation that his number is retired by the almighty Celtics...

    So following this logic, maybe we should retire Dale Davis and even Jeff Foster's numbers... Then maybe the hall will come calling for them too... OH WAIT, I forgot, those guys haven't been a part of any championship teams so their impact on their teams is meaningless and completely moot.

    Reggie's number is retired here because he was the face, heart and soul of the Indiana Pacers for a very, VERY long time. Not only that, but his play on the court single-handedly brought Indiana Pacers basketball from a bottom-feeder of an NBA franchise into a perennial contender.

    NOT only that, but his clutch playoff moments are literally the thing of legend in the game of basketball. Reggie Miller has not one, not two, but MANY individual plays that will live on in NBA lore for generations to come. The same cannot be said for many other players, even many who are already enshrined IN the Hall of Fame.

    But Reggie never won a championship despite carrying his team deep into the playoffs many times. So I guess this means that all of his accomplishments lose 75% or more of their "Hall Deserving-Ness" potency, right?

    See what I am saying? It's such a convoluted system. A good suggestion was just made here on the thread. Induct that entire Celtics team AS a team. They had an amazing run, no arguing that. Induct them as a team and honor them for their teams accomplishments. Don't go throwing every player in regardless of their qualifications ASIDE from their place on that team.

    I don't care how many games he played in a row, or how many championship teams he was the "Jeff Foster" of... That should not earn him an (INDIVIDUAL) place in the Hall of Fame over Reggie Miller.
    Last edited by TMJ31; 04-05-2011 at 07:58 PM.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

  21. #41
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,822

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Yeah let's put Dale and Foster in because they were key components in helping the Pacers win 8, I mean 5, I mean oh wait, 0 titles. Don't over look the fact that Satch has won the third most NBA championships out of every player in the NBA's history. Dale Davis being a defensive player on a team that went to one nba finals and lost is no where near Satch being a great defensive player and winning 8 championships. He won 8 ****ing championships. Helping your team win one is one thing, but helping them win 8 is a completely different story. Kobe is the only guy that might come close to that. I don't think we will ever see anyone hit that number again. Don't sell the man short because he didn't score 20,000 points. You know for a fact that winning championships, especially multiple, especially 8, is going to put you in a much better light than someone who has the same stats and didn't win one. There is more to the game than stats man. A fan of Reggie should know this considering his stats aren't that special. What made him special were his clutch moments. What made Satch special is his defense and helping his team win 8 championships.

    It is clear the HOF likes players who win championships. Satch getting in has absolutely nothing to do with Reggie. It wasn't him or Reggie. The HOF can never "define" what a first ballot HOF player is because of how much the game changes from era to era. Its completely subjective. You can't come up with a fair formula to judge players over the history of the NBA. But by electing what players from each era get first ballot and which ones don't they do "define" what a first ballot player is. Not many players make it on the first ballot. It isn't a slight imo to not make it first ballot. It's more of an honor because that truly means you were one of the best of the best. Reggie was not one of the best of the best. He wasn't in the same class as MJ, Malone, Barkley, Stockton and so on. He was in the group below that. Mentioning the others is relevant because it shows thats how HOF's work.

    Here is a question for you. Is Donovan McNabb a HOF football player? Especially first ballot? Because if Reggie Miller is a first ballot HOF, Donovan McNabb better be on that first ballot too. But he wont be, largely because he hasn't won an title. And he is a fringe ballot guy as of right now.

  22. #42
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    27,728

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    It should be noted that Satch was the guy guarding West, Baylor and Pettit in the playoffs every year. He took on a hall of fame forward almost every night.

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:


  24. #43

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    I sure hope Gilmore goes in as a Kentucky Colonel!

  25. #44
    The Sweet Sound Swish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Greenwood, IN
    Posts
    266

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At long last one of the most glaring omissions from the HoF will be rectified.

    Long Live The A-Train!!!!!!

    Wow, he's tall. Did they have to skin a horse to make that coat??

  26. #45
    Administrator Peck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    12,527

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by threein73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I sure hope Gilmore goes in as a Kentucky Colonel!
    Wow, I never thought about that.

    Man that would be sweet.


    Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

  27. #46
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by threein73 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I sure hope Gilmore goes in as a Kentucky Colonel!
    And Sabonis goes with USSR or retro Zalgiris (his original team) uniform!

  28. #47
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    54
    Posts
    11,465

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Peck View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Wow, I never thought about that.

    Man that would be sweet.
    I'd be surprised, I suspect it will be as either a Bull or a Spur. After all, NBA All-Star trumps ABA All-time
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  29. #48
    Since 1984 1984's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    1,808

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Did Gilmore, Mullin, and Sabonis ever do this?



    Game. Set. Match.

  30. #49
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,224

    Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    that's sour grapes. Ask Mitch Richmond how much his ring from 2001 as a 12th man helped him. People aren't that stupid.

    Also, nobody outside of Indiana is buying the loyalty bit. Reggie used impending free agency as leverage to get paid every time his chance was up. There were no hometown discounts. He'd tell Donnie pay me what I want or next season I'll come to town in a Knicks uniform.

    It's a neat thing when a player plays his whole career for one team in one city. I just don't think it was out of loyalty.
    I think you are overanalyzing and jumping to conclusions without adequate/accurate information. The fact of the matter is that he played for one team for 18 years which is the only thing we know for sure. If you dissect each and every decison, especially without knowing the facts, I am sure you can find something or the other to suit an argument. There are lot of things that happen during negotiations, but it probably also has something to do with an intention and desire to stay in Indiana.

    Example - The Pistons won the championship in 2004, people overanalyze and say they won because Kobe and Shaq were fighting, Joe D stole Rasheed Wallace for nothing, they won because they did not have injuries, it is a fluke, etc, etc. I disagree with all that overanalysis - they won, they were the champions, they were the best team that year, they worked hard to be injury free (Arnie Kander was doing his job the best possible way)that is it. Keep it simple and look at the result and give credit.

    IMHO, it is simpler when we take things for what they are than overanalyze without all the facts. I also think Rodman should be easily ahead of Reggie for the HOF selection, I am not sure about Mullin though.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 104
    Last Post: 02-12-2011, 08:30 AM
  2. Reggie leads candidates for 2011 Hall of Fame class
    By Trophy in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 12-02-2010, 06:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •