Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=6289323

They're joined by Satch Sanders (career 10/6 player but has 8 rings), Tex Winters (arguably the most influential career assistant coach of all time), Herb Magee (greatest D-II coach ever), Goose Tatum (former Globetrotter), Tara VanDerveer (Stanford head coach) and Teresa Edwards (great pre-WNBA woman's player).

Default Re: Rodman, Gilmore, Mullin and Sabonis make the hall of fame...

BTW, this means the entire 9 man rotation of the 1963 Boston Celtics is in the hall of fame.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kstat For This Useful Post:

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Gilmore must have been the choice of the ABA committee referred to in an earlier post. Still no one in whose entire pro career was in the ABA.
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Rodman and Mullin before Reggie? Doesn't seem right. I suppose I am biased... but still.

Congrats to all, and super cool to see Artis in. Hope to see Reggie in there soon!

Artis Gilmore Elected to Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame!

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. - With a record-setting college career and a stellar professional career that included being named an all-star in three different leagues, Artis Gilmore will be enshrined in the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame's Class of 2011.

Gilmore's career has been legendary from the beginning - starting with taking Jacksonville University on a Cinderella run to the national title game in 1970. From there, he was drafted by the Kentucky Colonels of the ABA - leading them to the title in 1975, earning Most Valuable Player honors in the playoffs. After the merger, Gilmore was the first pick in the ABA dispersal draft by the Chicago Bulls, playing 12 seasons in the NBA with Chicago, San Antonio and Boston.

He will be inducted into the Hall during the annual enshrinement ceremony set for Aug. 11-13 in Springfield, Mass.

"As a youngster growing up in Chipley, Florida I admired with awe, basketball legends like Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, Jerry West and Oscar Robertson. I never imagined that one day I might share a stage with them as a member of the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame," Gilmore said. "On behalf of the entire Gilmore family I want to thank everyone who made this honor possible. I hope to represent you all proudly."

His basketball career was blossoming when he signed with Jacksonville University in the spring of 1969. Less than a year later, Gilmore had put not just the school, but the entire city on the map.

"This is a tremendous and well deserved honor for Artis and on behalf of the entire JU community, we congratulate him on receiving this recognition," said JU president Dr. Kerry Romesburg. "Artis has meant so much to the University, from his days as a student-athlete to his current position with the school that it thrills everyone to see him receive this prestigious honor and to take his place among the best in the history that have ever played basketball."

Standing at 7-foot-2, Gilmore teamed up with the 7-foot tall Pembrook Burrows to form the tallest front line in America for the 1969-70 season. Joined by JU legends Rex Morgan, Vaughn Wedeking, Rod McIntyre and a cast of others, the Dolphins went on an unprecedented run to the national title game.

His legend grew with each game - whether it was scoring, rebounding or blocking shots. In just two years at JU, Gilmore scored more than 1,200 points, set the school record with more than 1,000 rebounds and blocked more than 300 shots - recording at least 12 triple-doubles in his career.

Today, Gilmore remains the all-time leader in NCAA history for rebounds per game average for a career at 22.7 - a record that has stood for 40 years.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to vapacersfan For This Useful Post:

lmao. rodman and freaking chris mullin in before reggie? what a ****ing joke!

Undefeated

All of those people in before Slick? I think the committee is made up entirely of red auerbach clones. *******s.
    Danger Zone

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rogco For This Useful Post:

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

At least Gilmore finally got in.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

I don't disagree with Rodman and Mullins being in the Hall of Fame, but I do disagree with them being in without Reggie.

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't disagree with Rodman in the Hall, as crazy as he is. He's the best rebounder this game has ever seen. He won 5 rings. That's a duh to me.

Mullin getting in, however, gives me hope that someday Reggie will be in... because Mullin's achievements aren't much different on the whole.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm glad Dennis got in. It's nice to see someone get accolades based on defense and rebounding prowess.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

"Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

"Everyone's values are defined by what they will tolerate when it is done to others." - William Greider

16. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:

Formerly PacerFanInAZ Cactus Jax's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yeah it gives hope that Reggie will probably make the hall next year unless there's some big new names that I'm not sure of.

If Satch Sanders made the hall of fame so should Robert Horry. I mean if we're counting based off rings, Horry won 6 of them in a much more congested league and made many a game winning shot when needed.
    Last edited by Cactus Jax; 04-04-2011 at 08:27 PM.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

----------------- Reggie Miller

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Cactus Jax For This Useful Post:

I hate to say it, but it does open the door, although Satch's 8 rings trumps Horry's 6.

Only 2 guys in the history of the NBA have won more.

Someone tell me how Mullin beat Miller out.

Quote Originally Posted by 1984 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Someone tell me how Mullin beat Miller out.
    It must be based upon a much more highly regarded college career.

His NBA peak was arguably better than Reggie's, but longevity should count for something, and Reggie was very good for much longer.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Its now official. The Hall should be renamed.

Hall of Infamy

Oh. Somehow I missed Sabonis name on final nominations list. I remember wondering here how they could exclude him unless it's NBA HOF.
    Nice to hear.
    Looks a fair list. Reggie should be in next year.

Again, just a joke.

Happy for Mully & Gilmore, indifferent to Rodman...

Glad to see some random guy with 8,766 career points I've never heard of (who was a part of 8 Celtic championship teams - but obviously NOT as one of the key pieces in getting the championships) get in before Reggie...

Of course clearly also high school and collegiate womens coaches also deserve recognition ahead of one of the 90's NBA era's most recognizable, durable, storied and feared players.

Just a joke...

Not to diminish any of those people's careers or contributions to the basketball community... But to say they are more deserving than Reggie Miller?! LMAO!
    Last edited by TMJ31; 04-04-2011 at 08:14 PM.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Quote Originally Posted by TMJ31 View Post
    Again, just a joke.

Happy for Mully & Gilmore, indifferent to Rodman...

Glad to see some random guy with 8,766 career points I've never heard of (who was a part of 8 Celtic championship teams - but obviously NOT as one of the key pieces in getting the championships) get in before Reggie...

Of course clearly also high school and collegiate womens coaches also deserve recognition ahead of one of the 90's NBA era's most recognizable, durable, storied and feared players.

Just a joke...

Not to diminish any of those people's careers or contributions to the basketball community... But to say they are more deserving than Reggie Miller?! LMAO!

Ummm you did completely diminish all of those people's careers and contributions. Its not the NBA HOF, its the basketball HOF. Just because they didn't do it in the NBA doesn't make them any less deserving than Reggie.

Banned

Congratulations to Rodman, crazy guy but one of the toughest SOB's to ever play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    Ummm you did completely diminish all of those people's careers and contributions. Its not the NBA HOF, its the basketball HOF. Just because they didn't do it in the NBA doesn't make them any less deserving than Reggie.
    Well, I suppose we can agree to disagree.
    Read my Pacers.com Guest Blog:
    "Area 55 Conquers Staples Center"

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    I do think that they HoF goes a little overboard as far as its coaches and older player selections at times, but to completely ignore them would be dumb. That being said I think if Reggie is in next year then it kind of speaks to how dumb HoF voting is in the first place for any sport that only the truly great can get in year 1. That being said I don't think it's obvious that Reggie will get in next year.

Things that work in Reggie's favor: He's one of the highest scoring UCLA Bruins of all time. He's been in the NBA Conference Finals as a leader of a team 6 times. He won Gold Medals in 1994 (World Championship) and 1996 (Olympics).

Things that work against Reggie: Only 5 all-star games, yes it was tough but 5 is still a pretty small number for a non-championship winning canidate. Low NBA scoring average; his first couple and last few years ruin this number a bit but still 19 ppg is pretty low for a HoF. Also, he only won 1 out of those 6 ECF apperances.
    "It's just unfortunate that we've been penalized so much this year and nothing has happened to the Pistons, the Palace or the city of Detroit," he said. "It's almost like it's always our fault. The league knows it. They should be ashamed of themselves to let the security be as lax as it is around here."

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The sad thing is that if he would've taken the bench role, did a decent job and won that NBA title for the Celtics in 07/08, to me he would've been a first ballot HoF'er that's how much I think a championship matters, over loyalty.

that's sour grapes. Ask Mitch Richmond how much his ring from 2001 as a 12th man helped him. People aren't that stupid.

Also, nobody outside of Indiana is buying the loyalty bit. Reggie used impending free agency as leverage to get paid every time his chance was up. There were no hometown discounts. He'd tell Donnie pay me what I want or next season I'll come to town in a Knicks uniform.

It's a neat thing when a player plays his whole career for one team in one city. I just don't think it was out of loyalty.
    Last edited by Kstat; 04-04-2011 at 09:14 PM.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Folks it is easy to ask for Reggie. But one Pacer deserves it more.

SLICK!!!! This is a joke.

32. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Major Cold For This Useful Post: