Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pacers last 9 losses have all been by double figures

Default Re: Pacers last 9 losses have all been by double figures

You all see the pattern, right?

Remember the lament of this team "collapsing" in the past? It became like clockwork a couple years ago. That is a sign of a team that the opposition does not respect. Teams used to take it easy on the Pacers the first three quarters, then crank up the pressue. ...and we folded.

Now what is happening? This team plays with more force, effort and energy. Perhaps not the most talented bunch, but they do give good effort. The same teams that knew they could crank it up and wipe us out no longer believe that. They are pressing more because we are more competitive.

IOW, teams are actually trying from the get-go. You can see that simply by watching the games, which are...as a result...more enjoyable to watch than the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Now what is happening? This team plays with more force, effort and energy. Perhaps not the most talented bunch, but they do give good effort. The same teams that knew they could crank it up and wipe us out no longer believe that. They are pressing more because we are more competitive.

IOW, teams are actually trying from the get-go. You can see that simply by watching the games, which are...as a result...more enjoyable to watch than the last few years.

I just don't see what you often see, I respect your opinions/theories, but rarely agree.

Pacers last season trailed at halftime in 50 games. This year with only 4 games left they have trailed at halftime 35 times. Seems to me like that indicates teams played us pretty hard from the get go last year.

This years team is better, but I don't see teams playing us harder and I certainly don't think any stats in this thread would prove your point.

Last season and the pacers were 5-43 in games they trailed after 3 quarters. So i think the somewhat prevailing theory that the team collapse in the 4th quarter is largely untrue. The pacers were 25-6 when they led after three which is a good record. only 6 losses when leading after 3 quarters. This season the pacers have already lost 10 games when leading after 3 quarters
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-04-2011 at 11:14 PM.

Ok. I guess I agree with you on that first sentence. I don't mind being in the majority....;<)

Last season was one filled with injuries. It's hard to compare last season to anything. In any event, we will have to disagree on the point made. On average, I have no doubt that teams try harder against more talented teams...and backslide against weaker opponents. I think this explains some things (e.g. great teams losing to terrible ones, virtually predictable collapses in the 4th quarter), but you are free to disagree. IMO, this is human nature and happens all the time in sports.

Perhaps what I am seeing is the style difference. When teams are not jacking up threes, there is often more passing, playmaking and interior play. Maybe not all three all the time...but I think there is more effort being expended. Just having Hans on the court 27mpg versus 12mpg has to be taxing on the opposition.

With that said, here is one indication that teams are working harder now:

Josh McRoberts has taken 8 three pointers in the last 34 games. He took 29 in a fraction of that many games in the month of December. Does that make it easier on the opposition or harder? I think it makes things harder because it plays to Josh's strengths. This is one reason I think teams have to try harder to beat us...even if they often accomplish their goal.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I said it before but I feel like no one really noticed it.

The Pacers play very badly on the road. Eight (8) of those double-digit losses (9) were on the road.

Young teams usually play poorly on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    I said it before but I feel like no one really noticed it.

The Pacers play very badly on the road. Eight (8) of those double-digit losses (9) were on the road.

Young teams usually play poorly on the road.
    I've noticed too. I've made a few comments here and there where I basically took this as a given at this point, but I think you are right about it seemingly being overlooked in general.

Specifically they'll get slaughtered in the first 2 playoff games, show some resistance in the next two and then probably lose in 5.

Beats the s*** out of no playoffs, no high pick, same old coach, no sign of change which is what we got the last 2 Aprils.

It seems certain per the odds that a few of the kids aren't going to come out the other side on this development plan. It would be remarkable if to a man they all made strong, solid progression. But some should and finally we'll know which is which. The playoffs this year will be a nice step on that path, even if they aren't really that competitive.