Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: '11 Frank versus '10, '09, and '08 Jim: Last game of Jan through First game of April

Default '11 Frank versus '10, '09, and '08 Jim: Last game of Jan through First game of April

I was seeing some comments poo-pooing Frank's 18-15 record by saying something to the effect of 'it could be nothing more than our usual late season surge'.

Well, let's compare, shall we?

From the last game of January through the first game of April, here are the records:

Frank Vogel, 2011: 18-15
    Jim O'Brien, 2010: 12-17
    Jim O'Brien, 2009: 13-16
    Jim O'Brien, 2008: 12-18

2. The Following 32 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: '11 Frank versus '10, '09, and '08 Jim: Last game of Jan through First game of April

I don't think you will find any rational person on this board saying that O'Brien is a better coach than Vogel.

I like Vogel, I really do. I'm more impressed by the fact that he weathered that locker room turmoil than his record. That could have ruined our season, but to his (and the players') credit, they bounced back. I still want to look at other coaching options this offseason, but I can't say I'd be too upset if Vogel got the gig full time. Even if he doesn't, I don't think we have seen the last of Frank Vogel as an NBA head coach.

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: '11 Frank versus '10, '09, and '08 Jim: Last game of Jan through First game of April

I guess going 4 to 5 games under .500 is a late season surge for us. 18-15 is a miracle! When are they putting Frank's statue up in front of Conseco ?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think you will find any rational person on this board saying that O'Brien is a better coach than Vogel.

I like Vogel, I really do. I'm more impressed by the fact that he weathered that locker room turmoil than his record. That could have ruined our season, but to his (and the players') credit, they bounced back. I still want to look at other coaching options this offseason, but I can't say I'd be too upset if Vogel got the gig full time. Even if he doesn't, I don't think we have seen the last of Frank Vogel as an NBA head coach.
    This is pretty much how I feel too. I think Vogel has done a pretty good job since taking over. I also agree with the most impressive thing is his handling of the locker room problems, although we don't know how much was him pulling the team together.

I think Vogel has done a good job learning on the fly. He's fixing the substitution patterns now. I am worried about the defense though. I know its tough to do in season, but there needs to be a lot of change on that end of the court.

I'm also worried about having an inexperienced coach with an inexperienced team. In addition to the defensive problems, this is why I like the idea of someone like Mike Brown. He's got experience and is get on defense.

Vogel definitely deserves the first interview though.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've been saying it almost all along and I say it again:

I think Frank Vogel is the guy for the job. Let him find an veteran defensive coach for an assistant to add to the bench and I wouldn't be too concerned about having an inexperienced coach with an young, inexperienced team. Give him an offseason and a training camp as the head guy and I think we could be very pleased with what he could do.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Frank deserves this job now.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I was seeing some comments poo-pooing Frank's 18-15 record by saying something to the effect of 'it could be nothing more than our usual late season surge'.

From the last game of January through the first game of April, here are the records:

So you thought we needed a thread to pooh on the old coach. (good for you)
    I will just say this debate is utterly pointless. Should we start another thread titled "Is it the players or the coach"? Do we need to argue about wether Bird forced Job to do the things that were already happening when Vogel took over again? Should we talk about the team having a lot of the same issue they had before Vogel or the fact that the season was weighted to allow a late season surge to be expected. The what if game has no value, young players should improve as the season goes on, and Bird has done a good job building our young team.

I would prefer everyone forget JOB existed and was never a supporter of his, (I didn't like him being a scapegoat for everything ) however I am not impressed with 3 games over .500 against a week schedule either.. I give the credit for improved play to the players, although I won't be shocked if they have another bad game(there young). Truthfully when it comes to the limited sample we don't have enough knowledge to make a true analysis of Vogals impact. We can try But Larry is going to be in a far better position to make this judgement and I leave that decision to him (assuming he stays). I will give Vogel this much though,"he didn't wreck the ship." The old guy gets more than his fair share of blame for the last 3 seasons.
    Last edited by spazzxb; 04-02-2011 at 02:18 AM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to spazzxb For This Useful Post:

It does feel different than previous years late-season runs, so I am glad to see W-L stats to support that. 18-15 is .545, so in the land of "What-IF", had they been able to do that all season they would be 42-35 right now and 6th in East. (A good goal for next season)

As it is, I think more importantly they have gone 8-4 since the most recent dreadful 6-game losing streak, including wins over Bulls and Celtics, both teams they had known they could be facing in the postseason. (FYI - they went 11-6 after their previous 6-game skid in January, including the 2 competitive loses to Miami)

Just think of how differently we would be talking about these Pacers had they not dropped those terrible games to Kings and Detroit this month - they would be winners of 7 straight and 10 of 12.

Is it possible these young Pacers are learning how to win in the NBA? Improving their game-closing abilities? It's the NBA, so young teams are going to have bad losses and many of their wins will come ugly. But I remember the Pacer teams that were annual playoff contenders having to scrape out a lot of tight games with ugly wins too.

Come playoff time our starting line up will only have a total of 14 NBA seasons experience, which by my quick count says the Pacers are the 2nd youngest starting lineup in the NBA, behind only Washington.

Collison: 2nd NBA season / 1st as starter / 23 years old
    George: 1st NBA season / 1st as starter / 20 year old
    Granger: 6th NBA season / 5th as starter / 27 years old
    Hansbrough: 2nd NBA season / 1st as starter / 25 years old
    HIbbert: 3rd NBA season / 2nd as starter / 24 years old

Wizards (Wall 1/20, Crawford 2/22, Young 4/25, Jianlian 4/23, Mcgee 3/23): 2.8 NBA seasons / 22.6 years
    Pacers: (see above): 2.8 NBA seasons / 23.8 years
    Thunder: (Westbrook 3/22, Sefalosa 5/26, Durant 4/22, Ibaka 2/21, Perkins 8/26): 4.4 NBA seasons / 23.4 years
    Wolves (Ridnour 8/ 30, Johnson 1/23, Beasley 3/22, Love 3/22, Pekovic 1/25): 3.0 NBA seasons / 24.4 years

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zenweezil For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zenweezil View Post
    It does feel different than previous years late-season runs, so I am glad to see W-L stats to support that. 18-15 is .545, so in the land of "What-IF", had they been able to do that all season they would be 42-35 right now and 6th in East. (A good goal for next season)

As it is, I think more importantly they have gone 8-4 since the most recent dreadful 6-game losing streak, including wins over Bulls and Celtics, both teams they had known they could be facing in the postseason. (FYI - they went 11-6 after their previous 6-game skid in January, including the 2 competitive loses to Miami)

Just think of how differently we would be talking about these Pacers had they not dropped those terrible games to Kings and Detroit this month - they would be winners of 7 straight and 10 of 12.

Is it possible these young Pacers are learning how to win in the NBA? Improving their game-closing abilities? It's the NBA, so young teams are going to have bad losses and many of their wins will come ugly. But I remember the Pacer teams that were annual playoff contenders having to scrape out a lot of tight games with ugly wins too.

Come playoff time our starting line up will only have a total of 14 NBA seasons experience, which by my quick count says the Pacers are the 2nd youngest starting lineup in the NBA, behind only Washington.

Wizards (Wall 1/20, Crawford 2/22, Young 4/25, Jianlian 4/23, Mcgee 3/23): 2.8 NBA seasons / 22.6 years
    Thunder: (Westbrook 3/22, Sefalosa 5/26, Durant 4/22, Ibaka 2/21, Perkins 8/26): 4.4 NBA seasons / 23.4 years
    Wolves (Ridnour 8/ 30, Johnson 1/23, Beasley 3/22, Love 3/22, Pekovic 1/25): 3.0 NBA seasons / 24.4 years
    Welcome to the board

16. The Following User Says Thank You to presto123 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zenweezil View Post

I thought we were number two once George took the SG spot, but its interesting to see that the thunder are now number three after the Perkins acquisition. Beyond the youth of the starting lineup, I believe DJ and Posey are the only players older than Danny that we have under contract for next season. The other day I actually goggle "youngest nba starting lineups", didn't find it, did you put this together yourself?
    Last edited by spazzxb; 04-02-2011 at 03:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

I think Frank Vogel is the guy for the job. Let him find an veteran defensive coach for an assistant to add to the bench and I wouldn't be too concerned about having an inexperienced coach with an young, inexperienced team. Give him an offseason and a training camp as the head guy and I think we could be very pleased with what he could do.
    Wouldn't it be hilarious that Frank could hire Jim as an assistant and mentor him just a little bit !!! NOT !!

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

Thanks for going through the trouble to put this together, this is what I had guessed to be the case but didn't know for sure.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    I will just say this debate is utterly pointless. Should we start another thread titled "Is it the players or the coach"? Do we need to argue about wether Bird forced Job to do the things that were already happening when Vogel took over again? Should we talk about the team having a lot of the same issue they had before Vogel or the fact that the season was weighted to allow a late season surge to be expected. The what if game has no value, young players should improve as the season goes on, and Bird has done a good job building our young team.
    This board discusses all kinds of subjects from the past and argues over things that happened 10 or 15 years ago. It's part of what goes on here.

Certainly, something that happened this season, in the last couple of months, is in line with the kind of things PD deals with.

Add to that, there are still a number of posters who aren't willing to admit that JOB was a bad coach or that Vogel shouldn't have replaced him or that Vogel's coaching is the key component to the improved record after getting rid of Jim.

So, if they are taking those positions, it's fair game to continue discussing it. The subject also continues to be very relevant because the Pacers will soon be deciding whether or not to keep Vogel for next year. How he has performed in contrast to JOB is ABSOLUTELY RELEVANT to that question.

"The past is not dead and buried. In fact, it's not even past."

—F. Scott Fitzgerald

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

21. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to McKeyFan For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Quote Originally Posted by Sandman21 View Post

Not to mention the next coach might not play the young'ns like Vogel has. I like how many players he uses instead of an 7-8 player rotation of many coaches.

23. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justin Tyme For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I consider myself rational and while I won't say that O'Brien is better than Vogel, I certainly won't say that Vogel is better than O'Brien. Way, way way too soon to draw any hard conclusions on Vogel. I'll say he's done a nice job through 33 games. He's hasn't coached through a training camp, through preseason games, through the process when the players begin to get sick of hearing you.

Jim O'Brien has coached about 7 NBA seasons, has goten his team to game 6 of the ECF.

I think for anyone to conclude that Vogel is a better coach than O'Brien is irrational. Is Vogel a better coach for this Pacers team right now? Of course, but a better coach overall - get back with me after Vogel has coached two or three full seasons.

Edit: I'm not sure it is entirely fair to include the honeymoon period - the first 8-10 games Vogel coached this team. Any coach would have had a honeymoon period taking over for JOB.

Pacers did end the season last year 10-4, actually they were 10-2 until the lost their last two games. The schdule to end the year last year was easy, but Vogel's first 10 games schedule was easy. I suppose my point is, I'm not convinced that Vogel is the answer and that is the only question we need to be concerned about. O'Brien is gone, not coming back, so he's not the issue anymore.
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-02-2011 at 11:01 AM.

Custom User Titleist
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yep, if the vast majority of posters observe an improvement in performance overall with a better record and a decided difference in playing style, differences in rotations that happen to coincide with the prevailing opinion the board has had for about two years prior to the change having been made, differences in how much time is being given to younger and more effective players which also matches what many here had been calling for, and an overall positive difference in player and team attitudes (except when Lance got inserted and apparently caused issues, which was then quickly corrected) that has been very evident even beyond the honeymoon period, there is no way anyone could possibly reach any type of conclusion who the better coach is, when even the players who have played for both have all but come straight out in the media with their own conclusions that appear to be the same ones that most of us, as posters, seem to be coming up with.

Nope, there is no way that any of us can conclude anything ever, really...

26. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brad8888 For This Useful Post:

It is hard to determine how good Vogel can be or not be. He's looking pretty good though compared to the previous 4 years.
    "He wanted to get to that money time. Time when the hardware was on the table. That's when Roger was going to show up. So all we needed to do was stay close"
    Darnell Hillman (Speaking of former teammate Roger Brown)

Quote Originally Posted by spazzxb View Post
    You missed the point entirely. It's not about Jim O'Brien. It's about Frank Vogel doing something different than Jim did, when we have people acting like it's exactly the same as the last 3 years. It's not. This is an improvement.

29. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

For the record, I did not put much stock at all into the 10-4 record to finish last season. The schedule was easy, the team was out of it, I was not impressed. I even posted in this forum that if I were in charge I think it is time to replace the coach, that replacing the coach will most likley get us more wins this season........I also wanted significant player changes in the offseason. So I never thought, wow, we've turned the corner

Hicks, I think I posted something like this year is like the past few seasons with a fast finish, it was an offhanded remark, not something I really believed in strongly, just throwing it out there for the fun of it. The worst thing about any forum or just the written word is impossible to determine how strongly the writer feels about something.

Quote Originally Posted by Unclebuck View Post
    Edit: I'm not sure it is entirely fair to include the honeymoon period - the first 8-10 games Vogel coached this team. Any coach would have had a honeymoon period taking over for JOB.

Pacers did end the season last year 10-4, actually they were 10-2 until the lost their last two games. The schdule to end the year last year was easy, but Vogel's first 10 games schedule was easy. I suppose my point is, I'm not convinced that Vogel is the answer and that is the only question we need to be concerned about. O'Brien is gone, not coming back, so he's not the issue anymore.
    To be fair in the other direction, I think the honeymoon argument is countered with the 6 game locker-room induced losing streak.

But regardless of where your opinion falls on that, this thread was never about which is the better coach or whether this means we should bring Vogel back.

I just took exception to the idea that nothing's changed and that we're just mirroring the last 3 years. We're not.

That's a good point, too. This year the wins aren't 'meaningless' or 'empty', as they were before, when it was too little too late. There's more pressure to win this time, and we're doing it without leaning on the veterans.

To be fair in the other direction, I think the honeymoon argument is countered with the 6 game locker-room induced losing streak.

But regardless of where your opinion falls on that, this thread was never about which is the better coach or whether this means we should bring Vogel back.

I just took exception to the idea that nothing's changed and that we're just mirroring the last 3 years. We're not.

The six game losing stretch included games at Dallas, OKC, and Houston (Rockets have ben one of the best teams in the NBA since As break)- games we would have likely lost anyway. Also included a home game against the Sixers who were playing great at the time, and then two road games one at Minny and one at Toronto. Take out the locker room situation if you want, Pacers probably win 2 or 3 of those 6 anyway.

To your general point, yes things have changed a great deal since the past few seasons, some due to coaching, some due to younger players getting better from playing a few seasons and the natural maturing process. Plus this team is more talented and in a better position to wins a better team than the past two seasons for sure. Fewer injuries also.

Another fair point to make is that this is a better team than the ones O'Brien had the prior three seasons. Ultimately, that's what led to his dismissal - Jim wasn't maximizing the talent on his roster. I don't think Vogel is quite there yet either (as the Sacto and Detroit games may illustrate), but I don't think there's any argument that he's doing a much better job with this group than its previous coach.

An addendum: I personally thought O'Brien's teams were underperforming every year he was here, but that may have just been my Pacers bias that always makes me think higher of our squad. This year, many more people thought that way - including TPTB - so we got a change.

That's a good point, too. This year the wins aren't 'meaningless' or 'empty', as they were before, when it was too little too late. There's more pressure to win this time, and we're doing it without leaning on the veterans.

That is why last nights game was impressive. I thought the Bucks played pretty well, both teams played hard, both probably played about as well as they are capable right now.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I did the math the other night against the Celts...Our entire starting lineup has less NBA time than Paul Pierce...I think Frank deserves a hard look based upon what he's done.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."