Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 58

Thread: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

  1. #1

    Default Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Not done yet?

    Jerry Sloan declared "I'm not looking for another job" when he resigned in February as Utah's coach after 23 seasons there, but he hasn't necessarily retired for good.

    Sloan would listen if another team approached him, according to a source who has spoken to Sloan recently, and would seriously consider the right situation. But he won't actively seek another job or have anyone campaign for him. Almost alone among NBA coaches, Sloan, who turned 69 a week ago, doesn't have an agent.


    http://www.startribune.com/sports/wolves/119097679.html

  2. #2
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    !!!!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Tampa, Florida
    Age
    25
    Posts
    1,604

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Interesting. I wonder what would be the "right situation." Does he want to inherit a playoff roster or does he want personnel control?

  4. #4
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,951

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    As has been discussed before, the case can be made that we could be an attractive position to him, more so than for other premium candidates. I think Herb's hands off nature would appeal to him, especially after what he just went through. A lot would depend on how he gets along with Bird, or whomever takes his place.

    Vogel's done a great job, no doubt about it (except from the loon fringe, you know who you are .) But if we could get Sloan, this is an absolute, slam dunk hire. Yes, his sets are boring and predictable. But they get results, and so would he. No, he's not won a title, and he most probably never will. But he's an exceptional coach who would institute a winning tradition and would leave the franchise much better than he found it.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  5. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kegboy For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Age
    44
    Posts
    1,224

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As has been discussed before, the case can be made that we could be an attractive position to him, more so than for other premium candidates. I think Herb's hands off nature would appeal to him, especially after what he just went through. A lot would depend on how he gets along with Bird, or whomever takes his place.

    Vogel's done a great job, no doubt about it (except from the loon fringe, you know who you are .) But if we could get Sloan, this is an absolute, slam dunk hire. Yes, his sets are boring and predictable. But they get results, and so would he. No, he's not won a title, and he most probably never will. But he's an exceptional coach who would institute a winning tradition and would leave the franchise much better than he found it.
    I agree with you about SLoan being a slam dunk hire but his sets are predictable but definitely not boring. I think that his how basketball should be played.

  7. #6
    On the Vogel Wagon gummy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    3,915
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, his sets are boring and predictable. But they get results, and so would he. No, he's not won a title, and he most probably never will. But he's an exceptional coach who would institute a winning tradition and would leave the franchise much better than he found it.
    I agree with this all of this but the fact that he most probably never will win a title gives me pause. Why would we want to hire a coach that we think most likely won't win a championship? To me our ultimate goal is championship and so I'd rather have a coach I think has the potential to win one instead of one whose potential to win one I doubt. This is especially true when it comes to a coach as experienced as Sloan, because he is who he is at this point - he's not likely to show us anything new that suddenly makes him look like a championship coach.

    I certainly wouldn't cry if he became our coach and we all long for the days when the Pacers were a perennial playoff team, but I don't want to feel like I am settling for that.
    "Freedom is nothing else but a chance to be better." - Albert Camus

    "Appreciation is a wonderful thing. It makes what is excellent in others belong to us as well." - Voltaire

    Michael Pina, Red94: "There are so many different ways the Pacers can beat you. They have an All-Star scoring threat, imposing figures on the front line, steady point guard play, and most importantly, a defense that'll choke the life out of just about every offense that crosses its path."

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to gummy For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Posts
    4,378

    Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Love Sloan. His age is the one factor that makes me hedge. How long-term of a solution could he really be?
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

  10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kid Minneapolis For This Useful Post:


  11. #8
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,153

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Even if he's only around a few years, he makes the team and organization a lot better in those couple of years.

    It depends on who's available long term wise. If you really want a Mike Brown and the feeling is mutual, you likely go after him as a long term solution.

    If you're not sold on Brown or vice versa, and you don't have anyone else that really interests you, then you make a pitch to Jerry Sloan and let him do his things.

    The way Karl Malone, Boozer and even Millsap have worked out, I think Tyler would be very successful, and Collison would have a great chance at being a better PG as well.

  12. #9
    Member ilive4sports's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    6,822

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by gummy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I agree with this all of this but the fact that he most probably never will win a title gives me pause. Why would we want to hire a coach that we think most likely won't win a championship? To me our ultimate goal is championship and so I'd rather have a coach I think has the potential to win one instead of one whose potential to win one I doubt. This is especially true when it comes to a coach as experienced as Sloan, because he is who he is at this point - he's not likely to show us anything new that suddenly makes him look like a championship coach.

    I certainly wouldn't cry if he became our coach and we all long for the days when the Pacers were a perennial playoff team, but I don't want to feel like I am settling for that.
    If it weren't for Michael Jordan the Jazz could of won two titles. Jerry Sloan is definitely a coach that can win a championship. I can't believe you would say he isn't a championship coach. What coach could we get is one if Jerry Sloan isnt?

  13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ilive4sports For This Useful Post:


  14. #10
    NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Downtown baby
    Posts
    12,618

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Sloan + great passing, solid handles, hoppy, agile PF who loves to set shot screens for Dun and sneak backdoor for alley-oops.

    Has there ever been a match more perfect? I say no.

    Sloan's whole thing is frontline guys doing tons of passing and coming out high to run PnR with each other rather than just with the PG. Passing between bigs is key for him, and Vogel has already been working with Josh and Roy as passing play initiators.

    Add to this Tyler's PnPop new found strength and you've got perfect threats for him to work with.

    Plus as many of us have said, guys like Rush need/want structure rather than make-it-up-as-you-go-along offense.

  15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:


  16. #11

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Love Sloan. His age is the one factor that makes me hedge. How long-term of a solution could he really be?
    My thoughts exactly.

    After seeing what JOB did to Roys confidence I am not sure Sloan would be a good fit for him.

    I am hoping for a players coach in the future.

  17. #12
    Stay focused SMosley21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Going the distance
    Age
    31
    Posts
    2,534

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    If we don't keep Frank Vogel I'd be all for going after Sloan. I think Frank could be a great coach, given time though. I'm not anxious to see him go.
    Grown Man Ball

  18. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,436

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If it weren't for Michael Jordan the Jazz could of won two titles. Jerry Sloan is definitely a coach that can win a championship. I can't believe you would say he isn't a championship coach. What coach could we get is one if Jerry Sloan isnt?
    I'm in total disbelief about anyone who wouldn't want Jerry Sloan as their coach unless they already have a coach named Phil Jackson or Greg Poppovich.

    What makes anyone think Mike Brown is more likely to win you a championship than Jerry Sloan? Yeah, if you want to blame anyone for Sloan not winning a championship, blame Michael Jordan and Phil Jackson (and Jordan in particular). Sloan just couldn't beat those guys, so that's the reason you wouldn't want him?

    Also consider that their aren't a lot of coaches running around that have NBA titles. Phil Jackson, Doc Rivers, and Greg Poppovich are the only 3 head coaches in the league right now that have won championships as head coaches. And Phil is about to retire, leaving only Doc and Pop. People need to consider that when they get all snobbish about how they have to have a coach who they absolutely know can win them a title.

  19. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to d_c For This Useful Post:


  20. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    How about NO? why a guy like Sloan is going to come to a place like the Pacers?

  21. #15
    The Last Great Pacer BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    14,997

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    I love the way Sloan coaches the game. Also, he may be a hard-guy, but he's sensible, fair and does not coach gimmick basketball. I like Frank, but Jerry Sloan is one of the better coaches over the last 20 years.

  22. The Following User Says Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:


  23. #16

    Smile Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about NO? why a guy like Sloan is going to come to a place like the Pacers?
    Why not? We have a top three youngest starting lineup in the NBA, we are an above .500 team with a rookie coach, he can have a lot of control, he has a pair of good passing bigs (Hansbrough is not one of them), and $30 million dollars in cap space. We also don't have any divas for him to deal with. Out of realistic destinations for him, where would he rather go?

    Heck Jerry Sloan could probably even set Lance Stephenson straight.

    .603 winning percentage, 16 straight winning seasons, and 11 consecutive winning seasons. I love Vogel, but I would have to take Sloan over him. Sloan is a Hall of Fame guy and any fan should love the idea of having him here for 2-3 years to set a winning tradition in place. He's a top three coach in the league right now.
    ...

  24. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to O'Braindead For This Useful Post:


  25. #17
    thx4tehmRys Danny! daschysta's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Geist, Indianapolis
    Posts
    1,951
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about NO? why a guy like Sloan is going to come to a place like the Pacers?
    He is from indiana isn't he? Evansville star?

    If he wants to retire/ finish his career back home it's not so bad, plus were young and have alot of room to improve, a good coach can eally put his mark on a young team like this one.

  26. #18
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is from indiana isn't he? Evansville star?

    If he wants to retire/ finish his career back home it's not so bad, plus were young and have alot of room to improve, a good coach can eally put his mark on a young team like this one.
    The rumors is that he left Utah because they were going into rebuilding mode, why would he want to rebuild here?

  27. #19
    woman without a team
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    7,054

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about NO? why a guy like Sloan is going to come to a place like the Pacers?
    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is from indiana isn't he? Evansville star?

    If he wants to retire/ finish his career back home it's not so bad, plus were young and have alot of room to improve, a good coach can eally put his mark on a young team like this one.
    I'm not sure if his son Brian is still in Indy. He was an ER doc at Wishard. If Jerry takes the Pacers' job (and IMO that's a big if) it will be because he wants to be closer to his kids.

  28. #20
    Call me Kauffie Kaufman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Jerry would bring instant recruiting credibility that we as a city don't have on our own. in other words, players would come play here just to play for him.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

  29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:


  30. #21
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,363
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Sorry even being an old guy myself I'd prefer a younger Coach than the 69 year old Jerry Sloan this team is years away from a title run. Bring in a younger coach who will be able to build for that run.

  31. #22
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Brown County, Indiana
    Posts
    3,659

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by daschysta View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He is from indiana isn't he? Evansville star?

    If he wants to retire/ finish his career back home it's not so bad, plus were young and have alot of room to improve, a good coach can eally put his mark on a young team like this one.
    I don't think he is originally from Indiana, but I think he played for Vincennes. Seems to me he is from Illinois.

    Anyway, to answer the question as to why he would do it. Because it is Indiana. He is well aware how much basketball is cherished in this state. I'm sure he also knows how well he would be received by fans wanting to see their team play the game the right way. My guess would be that there is likely a healthy mutual respect between he and Bird. They both played hard, with a take no prisoners style to their games.

  32. #23
    Long time fan diamonddave00's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Castle de Verde (Greencastle)
    Posts
    1,363
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Sloan is from Illinois but did play his college ball at then Division 2 Evansville.

  33. #24

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    For those concerned about the 'long term', define long term ?

    The chances of ANY head coach the Pacers hire at this point
    still being here if/when the Pacers win an NBA Title are slim and
    none (well actually, none, but I'm being generous).

    If Sloan is a guy who could get the Pacers back to a point where
    they are winning 50ish games and a playoff series before walking
    off into the sunset, then he's a slam-dunk hire.

  34. #25
    Parachromis HC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Hartford City
    Age
    32
    Posts
    1,794
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Jerry Sloan would listen if another team approached him

    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How about NO? why a guy like Sloan is going to come to a place like the Pacers?
    You say why Indiana, and in the same breat mention NO as a possiblity. I don't get it.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Similar Threads

  1. The PD NBA Draft - #7 Golden State
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2009, 10:06 AM
  2. The PD NBA Draft - #5 Washington
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-30-2009, 09:46 AM
  3. The PD NBA Best Pick Left in the Draft 6
    By Hicks in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-08-2008, 05:25 PM
  4. PD NBA Draft - Selection #3 - Minnesota
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-25-2008, 04:09 PM
  5. Drafting Game
    By Jose Slaughter in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1036
    Last Post: 09-08-2004, 12:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •