Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers experience/interactions

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Default Re: Pacers experience/interactions

Quote Originally Posted by presto123 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You should have said I'm the famous El Pacero. You won't regognize me without the mask. Do you live in Hamilton County or did you just drive up here from Indy?
    Haha, I couldn't say something like that. I do live in Fishers, but was pumped up to meet the guy so would've driven from anywhere. I remember how excited most of us were when we first got TJ...

To keep things going, here's two of the funniest comments I've gotten from players:

"Do you ever wash that mask?" - Roy Hibbert

"Did you break into Hulk Hogan's closet and steal his boots?" - Magnum Rolle

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by smj887 View Post
    No player interactions before this year, and virtually none away from the games (we don't live in Indy or really near it), but definitely a handful of interactions from this season.

When my girlfriend and I go to games, we always head down to the tunnel during halftime to give the players some dap on their way out. The first time we ever did that, we started heading back when we thought everyone had came out of the tunnel. I turned back as we were walking away and saw Hansbrough, who I'd completely forgotten about. I didn't have time for Psycho T, so I just yelled out "T!!" He came over and gave me a fist bump. It was my first real interaction with a player, I'll never forget it. After seeing stories where he comes off as shy or not really wanting to interact with fans, and knowing this was during the part of the JOB era where Tyler was chained to the bench, I couldn't be more thrilled to have gotten that fist bump.

On one instance when B-Rush was hurt, my girlfriend got a photo with him coming out of the tunnel. He and Paul are her two favorite players, so she was giddy afterward. We printed the photo out at one of those kiosks at CVS/Walgreens, and he was nice enough to sign it at the next game. He seems kind of shy, but both of those instances were extremely nice gestures.

Another story involving my gf and the players, and probably the coolest interaction either of us have had, though, is with Paul George. She used to tweet him a lot when she first got on Twitter, and he'd usually reply or retweet, and she had a picture of her as her profile picture. One game, Paul comes out of the tunnel towards the end with one of the other players (forget who), and we're the last 2 fans standing there. As he's approaching us, he looks at her and goes "Heeey!" She said hi, then we both looked around for who he was saying hi to. No one around. Later she tweeted that it was awesome that he said hi to her, and he retweeted... So yeah. Either he recognized her or he's just really good at PR.

Every time I saw Lance prior to his debut, I'd say something to him about how I couldn't wait for him to get some minutes, and he'd usually at least stop and respond. For all the ego/immaturity issues the guy supposedly has, he definitely pulls off the down-to-Earth bit.

I'll echo what another poster said and say we've got an awesome group of players as far as fan interaction goes. I don't have a single negative thing to say about any of them.

This doesn't qualify as a player interaction, but at one of the last games we attended this season, we went down and said hi to Chris Denari after the game. If I recall, it was the Golden State game. Denari talked to us for a good while, seemed genuinely interested in the usual small talk things like where we were from, how often we got to see the games, etc. But it branched into a pretty lengthy conversation. Got to talk to him about our rookies, the future of the team, the attitude towards the team in Indy, and non-Pacers stuff like his sons, our own plans after graduation, and whether he should get an iPhone or a Droid as his next phone. At the next game, we said hi to him again briefly and he asked if we had tickets for the Knicks game. Told him no, and he said we could have his if no one else was interested. Game came and went, I figured he found someone, no big deal. Then for the Kings game about 2 weeks later, he calls and offers us his tickets. Considering I thought we were done going to games this year (my income had slowed a little), this was beyond awesome. Tickets aside though, getting to chat with Denari was just great. I can't say enough about how well he represented the organization, and how good of a guy he certainly is even when basketball isn't involved.

All of this has happened this year. I'll stop short of writing a few more paragraphs about the personal value of this season and just say it's been a good year.

Thanks for sharing the story about Denari. He's definitely a class guy and is always extremely friendly.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    Thanks for sharing the story about Denari. He's definitely a class guy and is always extremely friendly.
    Awesome to hear Denari is such a nice guy. His voice slightly irked me at first, but I have grown to love it and hope he's part of the Pacers family for a long long time. He's endured the terrible years, I hope he gets to calls some ECFs and NBA Finals.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

I can't remember...maybe it was one of those promotions where you punch All-star ballots and you get to do a meet and greet with one of the players, but I was about to get Danny's autograph when I made a pitch for a special request. I already got his autograph once or twice before this, and I knew that it was starting to become a bit of a hurried scribble at times, often just looking like "DG 33." So in an effort to get a better signature, I asked him to sign his full name (that is, with his middle name included). Danny looked back at me, somewhat surprised, and said "I don't have a middle name." Then he pointed behind him where his dad was sitting, and said, "Just ask my dad, he was the one that named me!" As Danny finished signing his full name (minus any middle name), his dad walked over to the end of the table and we talked for a couple of minutes. Can't remember what we talked about...but a genuinely nice guy, that Danny Sr.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Smoothdave1 View Post
    Nicest guy. I was walking in Fieldhouse parking lot the beginning of this season & he stopped his car, talked to me & was asking how Area 55 was doing so far.

He also took the time to talk to me at DC game last season & Area 55 this season at the Bucks game. Same with Stacey. They really like Pacers fans.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    .... As Danny finished signing his full name (minus any middle name), his dad walked over to the end of the table and we talked for a couple of minutes. Can't remember what we talked about...but a genuinely nice guy, that Danny Sr.
    I've never really talked to Danny's dad, but you reminded me that I've heard more stories about positive experiences with Granger Senior than probably all current players combined. (He is more accessible.)
    Last edited by El Pacero; 04-05-2011 at 12:38 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Anybody ever had anything happen with Stacey. When me and my g/f were courtside and she was interviewing and such, when the cameras went off she seemed kinda annoyed and bored to be there. LOL. Any stories?

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    Anybody ever had anything happen with Stacey. When me and my g/f were courtside and she was interviewing and such, when the cameras went off she seemed kinda annoyed and bored to be there. LOL. Any stories?
    No ha, the big thing with Stacey is she has headphones / earpieces in her ears, so she can only hear the broadcast and nothing around her. I've sat right behind her in DC for last 3 seasons and every season she is nice enough to let me know she can't hear anything with the ear monitors. (or she doesn't want me to talk to her, ha)

I finally got comfortable enough, and thought I understood where she was coming from, to go outside my boundaries with Stacey this season in DC. There were two really cool Pacers fans about 8 rows up from me, and they were yelling "El Pacero, We want to talk to Stacey!" So I got the nerve to tap her on the back, she took her ear monitors out, and I said sorry, but you have big fans up there.... she took off running to let them have a pic with her, they loved it, and she ended up thanking me several times for letting her know... cause she can't hear anything. They really really really like Pacers fans.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

This is a great thread. Every post needs a Thanks.

I haven't had any interaction with any Pacers players but one time in Denver I shook Craig Sager's hand.

My story is not exactly about a Pacer, but rather a Pacer's wife.

I went to middle school with Austin Croshere's wife, and she was one of the nicest, but shyest, girls in school. She was also the prettiest 7th grade girl and was slightly uncomfortable as a middle schooler with the ridiculous amount of male attention she received - boys and hormones. I had exchanged a few notes (this shows our age - handwriting notes rather than texting or emailing) with her and had sat with her at a couple school events, but despite my interest, she never responded except in a polite friendly way.

On Valentines Day students could order carnations for $.50 and have them sent to anyone in the school. I mustered up the courage to order three for her - red - and sat there all day in school anxiously and nervously waiting to see what would happen - would she like them, be offended, would it spark a romance, or what? It was near the end of the day and I was in the school's library, located in the center of the building. I see a teacher walk by with a gigantic armful of what must be literally 40-50 carnations. It was a massive pile. Another teacher called over and said "Is that for ONE student?" The teacher with the flowers laughed and said "Yep" and then said it was for this girl. Literally 15-20 different boys sent her flowers - not necessarily because she was out there attracting attention, but because she was that well liked and that pretty. My 3 were somewhere lost in that massive pile.

I saw her a few times throughout high school - she won County Fair queen the same year I won the talent contest. Always a pretty girl with a good head on her shoulders. It was not a surprise to me or anyone who knew her that she would find a great guy - but none of us would have guessed it would have been a Pacer.

Mood

Sports Logo

So I incidentally managed to find the picture of me with Diener. I didn't realize how... insane I looked with all that hair. daamn.

witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    So I incidentally managed to find the picture of me with Diener. I didn't realize how... insane I looked with all that hair. daamn.

What's wrong with a little hair? Even if it is a little unkempt. All I gotta say is use what you got and enjoy it while you got it.

To give you an idea about what can happen as you advance in years, a few years ago my older brother and I both bent over reaching to the floor to pick up the last Christmas present that had not been passed out. Everyone was watching and as our heads came together, my daughter yells out "Hey look! They made a butt!"

So, all I gotta say is enjoy your hair, even on days when you don't feel like caring for it.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have a really funny story, with photographic evidence. I think I told it here once before. It's a lot to type, but if anyone wants to hear it I'll tell it again.

Lets see if this actually gets posted, considering the few times ive tried posting it magically disappears. Anyway, 8-9 years ago, when Bender was still with the team, I use to frequent another NBA message board( name slips my mind right now). I pull up the site one night and the first new message was titled " Jonathan Benders Cell Phone Number". I thought it was obviously fake, but I wrote it down anyway. I refreshed the page, and the message was gone. Didnt take them long to take it down. My buddy walked in a few minutes later and saw the number written down on a piece of paper next to me. I told him what it was and he decided to call. Sure enough, it was JB. He answered saying " yo, this JB, who dis?". My buddy was able to convince him that it was a friend from back in Piccayune and had a 1-2 minute convo with him. He quickly caught on that we didnt know him, and it was over.

I want to hear it. LOL

Anyone know if any pacers would give out their jerseys? I'm going to ask Brush, Lance, and PG...we'll see what happens. Maybe shoes...haha. But it's worth a shot..."Need em for the playoffs!"
    Keep believing...

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    I have a really funny story, with photographic evidence. I think I told it here once before. It's a lot to type, but if anyone wants to hear it I'll tell it again.
    Yeah, I think we would all like to hear it. ha.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    I can't remember...maybe it was one of those promotions where you punch All-star ballots and you get to do a meet and greet with one of the players, but I was about to get Danny's autograph when I made a pitch for a special request. I already got his autograph once or twice before this, and I knew that it was starting to become a bit of a hurried scribble at times, often just looking like "DG 33." So in an effort to get a better signature, I asked him to sign his full name (that is, with his middle name included). Danny looked back at me, somewhat surprised, and said "I don't have a middle name." Then he pointed behind him where his dad was sitting, and said, "Just ask my dad, he was the one that named me!" As Danny finished signing his full name (minus any middle name), his dad walked over to the end of the table and we talked for a couple of minutes. Can't remember what we talked about...but a genuinely nice guy, that Danny Sr.
    Lol, I heard that before but didn't know if it was a true story, but thanks for the story to confirm this! Do you by chance have a pic of this "full name" autograph of yours from Danny?? I'd love to see it if you had the time to post a pic of it!

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I've probably met Reggie five times. He even bought me McDonald's once in what is the most unbelievable story ever that I don't want to take the time to type out unless people are super interested.
    This I have to hear.
    "Nobody wants to play against Tyler Hansbrough NO BODY!" ~ Frank Vogel

"And David put his hand in the bag and took out a stone and slung it. And it struck the Philistine on the head and he fell to the ground. Amen. "
    Want your own "Just Say No to Kamen" from @mkroeger pic? http://twitpic.com/a3hmca

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Sandman21 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    Lol, I heard that before but didn't know if it was a true story, but thanks for the story to confirm this! Do you by chance have a pic of this "full name" autograph of yours from Danny?? I'd love to see it if you had the time to post a pic of it!
    I should have put "full name" in quotes b/c it really still wasn't the case where I could really make out who signed the picture without actually having witnessed the signature done in person! Sorry! Now, the best signature I have of DG goes back to his rookie year. They were promoting the start of single game ticket sales and they had Granger and Shawn Williams (?) signing for those folks who came into Conseco. Unfortunately, I don't have a scanner to post the item, but he took his time signing and you could read his first and last name pretty well. By the way, he was a nice guy even back in his rookie year, but really shy compared to how you see him now at all the season ticket holder events.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbert55 View Post
    I have talked to her 2 times this season and she has told me how much she likes area55. She is really cool and always takes time to talk if you approach her. I have also talked to Roy a lot being in area 55 one time I told him I wanted to order shoes like his. He asked in my size or or in your size? I laughed and said my size and he said oh and told me where to get them.
    He added if you wanted my shoes I would have got you a pair I still kick myself in the butt for not taking him up on the offer.

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    Wow... hopefully it's not the story about the Pacer and the urinal.... oh, wait a minute.... that was Peck.

No great stories, but I've had plenty random sightings.

I saw Mark Jackson at the Fox Hills mall a couple months back. He was walking with a pretty severe limp.

I took a flight with Reggie from IND to LAX in December. It took every ounce of energy in my bones to not start a mid-flight chant, esp. after that small bottle of cabernet.

I saw Ike Diogu last weekend near Playa Vista. He's on the Clippers now, I think.

I saw Ron Artest at Warner Brothers Records back in 2006. I saw a look in his eyes that was somewhat frightening.

My old neighbor cleaned Dale Davis' pool a few years ago. A porno was being filmed at his house.

I saw Jonathan Bender at the airport about five minutes after the Pacers lost game 4 of the 2005 playoff series against the Pistons. He had obviously left the game early and had a serious limp.

Strangely enough though, I haven't had a lot of direct interactions with players. The closest I got was going to Antonio Davis' farewell autograph signing at Foot Locker, right after he got traded. I was the next person in line when the event ended.

I did run into David Craig on Market St. directly under MSA. That was pretty exciting as I was going to school for Sports Medicine at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    Also met Rik Smits quite a few years ago. Very nice and polite. Also very, very tall
    This reminds of a young woman, Becky, I used to work with at an advertising agency. She never seemed to be happy or impressed with anything. No one she worked with was quite good enough or smart enough. No client was ever interesting enough to be enjoyable to work for or even to give a full effort for. No work by her team was ever done well enough to be worth much more than a yawn.

One day, Becky told us that she'd been to a concert at Deer Creek over the weekend. The performance wasn't that great, she said, but she did note that one of the people sitting near her was Rik Smits. Being big Pacers fans and this being at the height of their popularity in Indianapolis, we thought this was kind of exciting, but Becky - shockingly - was disappointed. "He's really not that tall!," she explained.

Quote Originally Posted by Freddie fan View Post
    This reminds of a young woman, Becky, I used to work with at an advertising agency. She never seemed to be happy or impressed with anything. No one she worked with was quite good enough or smart enough. No client was ever interesting enough to be enjoyable to work for or even to give a full effort for. No work by her team was ever done well enough to be worth much more than a yawn.

One day, Becky told us that she'd been to a concert at Deer Creek over the weekend. The performance wasn't that great, she said, but she did note that one of the people sitting near her was Rik Smits. Being big Pacers fans and this being at the height of their popularity in Indianapolis, we thought this was kind of exciting, but Becky - shockingly - was disappointed. "He's really not that tall!," she explained.
    That's cause he was sitting down

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    My old neighbor cleaned Dale Davis' pool a few years ago. A porno was being filmed at his house.
    AWESOME!