Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pacers experience/interactions

Default Pacers experience/interactions

I have read a few people's interactions with various Pacers players this year and found them quite interesting reads. Although I do attend a decent amount of games for a person outside of Indy, I don't really have any interesting Pacer player interactions or stories. Knowing most of you have been long time fans and live in Indianpolis; I was wondering if any of you had any interesting stories about your interaction with players presnt or past that you would be interested in sharing?

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers experience/interactions

Brandon Rush always calls me his dawg when he sees me lol, except when I went down to Memphis to watch our guys on the road, he actually knew my full name by then (mainly because of Twitter lol). I'm proud to say we have about the nicest group of guys in the entire league, though. How would I know? I've met almost every NBA player in the league over the past 4 or so seasons.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

A few current/past Pacers I've met and stories:

-- Met Danny Granger a few years ago at HH Gregg on 96th Street. Granger couldn't have been nice and was just super friendly. I also ended up talking to his wife, Dionna, for a good 15 minutes and she was incredibly friendly. We were talking about the Grangers' dog, Bentley, their wedding, and funny stories.

-- Met Dunleavy a few years ago about a month after the season ended shopping for a new car. I just happened to be there having some work done on a Thursday about noon and was walking around the dealership and looked over and saw a tall guy who I immediately recognized as Mike. He was there with his now wife, Sarah, and she ended up taking a picture of Mike and I for me. He was telling me about his summer plans, how he enjoyed living in Indy and a little basketball. Just a super friendly guy and couldn't have been nicer.

-- I met Roy at the Colts/Pacers celebrity softball game last summer. Super nice guy who was friendly to everyone. We talked summer plans and he signed a ton of autographs. Sadly, some of the fans asking him for his autograph had to ask me who he was.

-- Met Tyler the day after we drafted him after his press conference at Conseco. Super nice guy, but is a little shy and reserved. Nonetheless, he was very cordial and seemed to be taking it all in as he was less than 24 hours removed from being in NY and the draft

-- Have met Scot Pollard several times as he still has a house in Carmel. Saw him at a Colts game, at Circle Centre, at the Murat, etc. Always super friendly and a nice guy.

-- Dated a girl whose best friend was "dating" former Pacer Bruno Sundov. He was an interesting character and tried to portray someone he wasn't, haha.

I've met other current and former players, but no crazy stories.
    Last edited by Smoothdave1; 04-02-2011 at 11:20 PM.

5. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Smoothdave1 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo

After the game at which I got my McRoberts T-jersey, I stood at the window inside Conseco that looks into the practice gym, as I usually did after games. Inside, Paul was standing in his street clothes on the end closest to me, shooting full-court heaves. I watched while filming on my ipod, excited to watch him get closer and closer to making it.

As players exited into the gym and walked through to head to what I can only assume is an underground garage where they keep their respective cars, I saw a particular tall white guy exit with a large paper bag in his arms.

As he got closer to Paul (and to the window), I realized it was Josh. I tried as inaudibly as possible to get his attention and show him the little "32" on the front of my shirt. After a few seconds, he saw me and, acknowledging my shirt (and ultimately, my fandom), he gave me a thumbs-up. I had a fanboy fit immediately afterwards.

Best. Postgame. Ever.

This was the closest I've gotten to interacting, besides a postgame autograph session with Luther Head. I went to the last home game of the 2009-10 season (against the Magic, coincidentally our last away game this season), after which all the players gave autographs, shoes, headbands, etc. to the fans around the court. I tried so hard to get to Josh to get a picture or anything, but couldn't manage. Only slightly disappointing, but it was awesome being that close.

With all this said, I hope we bring him back next year, when I'll have a better chance of meeting him, and the other Pacers. I'm really interested in meeting Paul, now, too.
    Last edited by imbtyler; 04-03-2011 at 12:06 AM.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Met Danny Granger once. Super nice guy and signed a jersey that I have of him.

Also met Rik Smits quite a few years ago. Very nice and polite. Also very, very tall

And, well, I shook Reggie Millers hand once. We didn't talk or anything, but that was at least nice of him

All in all, I've had a lot of great experiences with the players. Very nice people who have I really have a lot of respect for.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Mood

Sports Logo

Holy crap, I just remembered.

During the preseason before '09-10 season, the Pacers played the Spurs at Indiana University's legendary Assembly Hall. I sat in the front row outside the hallway where the players exited. I got a bunch of fist-bumps and high-fives from Roy, Danny, Earl Watson, and a very awkward handshake with Larry Bird.

Later during the game, Foster sat out due to back issues (that never ended) and while walking through one of the hallways to get from one side of AH to the other, I saw two incredibly tall guys walking towards me: Jeff Foster and Austin Croshere. Austin was showing Jeff around, and my two friends with me immediately asked for Jeff's autograph, and I thought it strange/funny/awkward that Austin had to stand and watch as he didn't get asked.

Also, after the game, we were standing outside on the sidewalk, and from some hidden side door, Travis ****ing Diener walked out, disregarded IU apparel-wearing guys, and walked up to the three whitest, most awkward looking guys and started talking to us! Hilariously, I didn't even like Diener because of his playing "style", but I felt obligated to get a picture with him, due to my belief that we looked sort of similar (thanks to the sparsely-distributed facial hair). It was a great experience, and left me a little starstruck, to be honest.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post

This was the closest I've gotten to interacting, besides a postgame autograph session with Luther Head. I went to the last home game of the 2009-10 season (against the Magic, coincidentally our last away game this season), after which all the players gave autographs, shoes, headbands, etc. to the fans around the court. I tried so hard to get to Josh to get a picture or anything, but couldn't manage. Only slightly disappointing, but it was awesome being that close.
    This is probably a dumb question, but how does fan appreciation night work ? Do all of the players stick around on the court and give autographs. Is it possible to get down there even if you only buy balcony seats ? I would love to get my Paul George jersey signed and a photograph!

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I've probably met Reggie five times. He even bought me McDonald's once in what is the most unbelievable story ever that I don't want to take the time to type out unless people are super interested.

When I was 7 or 8 years old Sam Mitchell was behind me in the urinal line at MSA. Why the heck he was using the public bathroom, I'll never know. This was like 20 minutes before a game too and there has was among a bunch of fans wearing his warm ups and waiting to take a ****.

I met Haywoode at Reggie Miller basketball camp, he was a really nice and fun guy. I can see why he is an NBA ref, he really loved the game and had a fun time teaching kids the fundamentals.

I haven't met any of the current Pacers since I don't live in town. But I have met Kevin Durant a few times here in DC, he's a really nice guy. I also see JaVale McGee from time to time since he lives relatively close to me, I've never bothered to talk to him though.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Met granger twice, n both times he has signed my jersey and got a photo with. Brandon rush was really nice to me (drunk). I think the rudest player I met was Troy Murphy, declined a photo and was very rude when I was talking to him. I know I Kay have caught him on a bad day n he probably is very nice, but I'll never forget it.

Also met Kobe Bryant. Hated him before, respect and like him now. Probably the nicest player I have met.

AUSTRALIA'S NO.1 PACER FAN

13. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to granger33 For This Useful Post:

Before the Fieldhouse was built I used to work out with some of the guys and play pick up games with them at NIFS. This was when I was in basketball shape and before getting married and a full time job. These guys were- Smits, Hoiberg, Workman, A. Davis, Person, Lindeman, Alan Henderson, B Scott, Haskin, Hot Plate Williams, there were more i just can't remember... Good times!

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pacerblue For This Useful Post:

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

-Saw AJ Price BEFORE he was drafted in Conseco during the workouts. He was wearing Uconn shorts and he was walking really fast so I didn't bother besides a "Wassup AJ!"

-Then he got drafted and I was with my bros at Circle Center and we saw him going down an escalator with a beautiful girl.. So I said "Sup AJ" and he was a dick the whole time trying to impress his girl. My friends never let me hear the end of it..

-My cousin and I saw Roy at Circle Center and he was EXTREMELY nice. At first we thought he was Greg Oden.. Better yet it was Roy Hibbert. We talked to him for about 10-15 minutes and he was just ridiculously cool and he talked about what he was working on in the offseason and stuff. This was right after his rookie year.

-Talked to Brandon Rush after a shootaround for about 10 minutes. So awkward.. We talked about video games and stuff.

-I actually saw and talked to Josh in Greenwood last year.. He was in for a parade but me and a couple of my friends talked to him. Pretty cool, but his hair was just stupid long at the time.

This is kind of unrelated but I used to see George Hill, Bonzi Wells, and Eddie Gill a lot.

I don't really ask for autographs. I don't know why.

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

I talked to Mcbob before the season began, he was signing autographs at some kind of season ticket holder tour thing. I was talking about nicknames with him and he was really funny. We decided on his main nickname was going to be MC Roberts because when he's on the floor he is smooth like a DJ. I guess it didn't catch on.
    DG for 3

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    This is probably a dumb question, but how does fan appreciation night work ? Do all of the players stick around on the court and give autographs. Is it possible to get down there even if you only buy balcony seats ? I would love to get my Paul George jersey signed and a photograph!
    They generally don't give autographs to individual fans but they do autograph some stuff that they then give away. After the game it's pandemonium with players tossing mini-balls into the stands---these are often what they autograph before tossing---sometimes they toss without autographing. Sometimes if you are in the right place at the right time, they might walk over to you and give you a shoe. But if you definitely want autographs the best bet is to be down near the court right when Conseco opens, and catch the players as they are coming off the court from practicing. Have a sharpie at the ready.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to joeyd For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    the best bet is to be down near the court right when Conseco opens, and catch the players as they are coming off the court from practicing. Have a sharpie at the ready.
    Thanks!

Do you know when Conseco opens ?

Quote Originally Posted by KingGeorge View Post
    Do you know when Conseco opens ?
    Generally an hour before the posted game time. I think season ticket holders might be able to enter a bit earlier, though I have not tried.

Southern Indiana; not far from Louisville, KY

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I've probably met Reggie five times. He even bought me McDonald's once in what is the most unbelievable story ever that I don't want to take the time to type out unless people are super interested.

When I was 7 or 8 years old Sam Mitchell was behind me in the urinal line at MSA. Why the heck he was using the public bathroom, I'll never know. This was like 20 minutes before a game too and there has was among a bunch of fans wearing his warm ups and waiting to take a ****.

I met Haywoode at Reggie Miller basketball camp, he was a really nice and fun guy. I can see why he is an NBA ref, he really loved the game and had a fun time teaching kids the fundamentals.

I haven't met any of the current Pacers since I don't live in town. But I have met Kevin Durant a few times here in DC, he's a really nice guy. I also see JaVale McGee from time to time since he lives relatively close to me, I've never bothered to talk to him though.
    I'm all ears!!!!

24. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ChristianDudley For This Useful Post:

Mood

I was in New Jersey in Reggie's last season. It was the last game before New Years, and the team kinda sluggishly took the court. Except Reggie ran out and was bouncing and jumping talking shots from all over the place. This is all relevant at the end of the story.

After the game which the pacers won easily (JO had 35 that night) the players began heading towards the tunnel. I said "Jermaine!!!" in a real funny voice on purpose, and JO smiled, laughed, came over to me and gave me a handshake (street style). He gave me the gatorade towel, a dry one, that he was carrying (he had like 3 of them for some reason). Reggie was always my hero, and I really wanted to interact with him. So here he comes, only one running off the court. People began to yell to him, and without even slowing down he threw his number 31 finger thing he wore behind his back and winked, as he made perfect 12ft toss to this pretty girl in a gold artest jersey standing right next to me. She loved it. I tried to make a trade and give her some cash, she wasn't having it. I remember thinking how funny Reggie was for throwing his stuff to the attractive female, and never broke stride as he ran out of the gym. He was like a rock star lol...

I had a brief hand shake with Sam Perkins here in Denver when he was the PR guy or something last year. I was getting a beer. Funny thing was the game had already started, but big smooth was just arriving.
    Last edited by focused444; 04-03-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    I'm all ears!!!!
    me too

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Haywoode Workman For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianDudley View Post
    Brandon Rush always calls me his dawg when he sees me lol, except when I went down to Memphis to watch our guys on the road, he actually knew my full name by then (mainly because of Twitter lol). I'm proud to say we have about the nicest group of guys in the entire league, though. How would I know? I've met almost every NBA player in the league over the past 4 or so seasons.
    He's a funny guy and remembers me every season.

I'm usually down low behind bench and he's out there shooting around and he'll be like "yo bro!"

I have like 6 things signed by him and most of them signed on the road.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

I'll share my most embarrassing story. It was preseason and TJ Ford's first season with the Pacers. He was signing autographs at Bob's Cellular Express in Westfield so I took my blue Pacers basketball, found a special white pen so the signature would show up, and headed to Bob's.

When I got there I was kinda nervous and waited forever to actually ask for an autograph. I asked TJ if he could use my white pen so the signature would show up on the blue ball, and he obliged. He shook the pen, the cap flew off, and white ink sprayed ALL OVER TJ.

He looked down at his designer jeans and fancy t-shirt, quickly searching for any drop of white ink, but it luckily somehow only landed all over his arms and hands. He just sat there looking at his arms in disgust, I was like "Oh, I'm so sorry man." Silence. Then I said, "I am so so sorry man." He never really said anything to me.

Then someone got him a towel to try and get all the ink off his arms. To make matters worse, I stayed there for at least another 10 minutes to try and save face and ended up showing him pacersdigest.com on the laptop he was using.

I left mortified... and he wrote the signature on the yellow Pacers logo so you can't even see it.
    Last edited by El Pacero; 04-03-2011 at 07:02 PM.

31. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I'm interested!

Never met any Pacer players, but have "met" Mike Vanderjerk, while I worked at the Banana Republic at Keystone at the Crossing while in college. He had a stylist and a couple body guards, or could have been lineman, but I didn't recognize them. He was trying to be inconspicuous, but you could certainly tell it was him. He was rude to anyone that offered help. That was quite some time ago.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

Was playing a fundraiser gig with the band I was in about a year ago at a fancy downtown hotel(don't remember the exact one) and after Christie Lee(Bob and Tom) introduced us we started jamming the first set. I started scanning the crowd wondering how many people were going to get up and dance when I saw a guy watching me and I thought I know that guy. It was Mike Dunleavy. Don't know how long he stuck around but he didn't hit the dance floor. Since we played straight through that gig with no breaks didn't get a chance to interact.

Quote Originally Posted by El Pacero View Post
    I'll share my most embarrassing story. It was preseason and TJ Ford's first season with the Pacers. He was signing autographs at Bob's Cellular Express in Westfield so I took my blue Pacers basketball, found a special white pen so the signature would show up, and headed to Bob's.

When I got there I was kinda nervous and waited forever to actually ask for an autograph. I asked TJ if he could use my white pen so the signature would show up on the blue ball, and he obliged. He shook the pen, the cap flew off, and white ink sprayed ALL OVER TJ.

He looked down at his designer jeans and fancy t-shirt, quickly searching for any drop of white ink, but it luckily somehow only landed all over his arms and hands. He just sat there looking at his arms in disgust, I was like "Oh, I'm so sorry man." Silence. Then I said, "I am so so sorry man." He never really said anything to me.

Then someone got him a towel to try and get all the ink off his arms. To make matters worse, I stayed there for at least another 10 minutes to try and save face and ended up showing him pacersdigest.com on the laptop he was using.

I left mortified... and he wrote the signature on the yellow Pacers logo so you can't even see it.
    You should have said I'm the famous El Pacero. You won't regognize me without the mask. Do you live in Hamilton County or did you just drive up here from Indy?

No player interactions before this year, and virtually none away from the games (we don't live in Indy or really near it), but definitely a handful of interactions from this season.

When my girlfriend and I go to games, we always head down to the tunnel during halftime to give the players some dap on their way out. The first time we ever did that, we started heading back when we thought everyone had came out of the tunnel. I turned back as we were walking away and saw Hansbrough, who I'd completely forgotten about. I didn't have time for Psycho T, so I just yelled out "T!!" He came over and gave me a fist bump. It was my first real interaction with a player, I'll never forget it. After seeing stories where he comes off as shy or not really wanting to interact with fans, and knowing this was during the part of the JOB era where Tyler was chained to the bench, I couldn't be more thrilled to have gotten that fist bump.

On one instance when B-Rush was hurt, my girlfriend got a photo with him coming out of the tunnel. He and Paul are her two favorite players, so she was giddy afterward. We printed the photo out at one of those kiosks at CVS/Walgreens, and he was nice enough to sign it at the next game. He seems kind of shy, but both of those instances were extremely nice gestures.

Another story involving my gf and the players, and probably the coolest interaction either of us have had, though, is with Paul George. She used to tweet him a lot when she first got on Twitter, and he'd usually reply or retweet, and she had a picture of her as her profile picture. One game, Paul comes out of the tunnel towards the end with one of the other players (forget who), and we're the last 2 fans standing there. As he's approaching us, he looks at her and goes "Heeey!" She said hi, then we both looked around for who he was saying hi to. No one around. Later she tweeted that it was awesome that he said hi to her, and he retweeted... So yeah. Either he recognized her or he's just really good at PR.

Every time I saw Lance prior to his debut, I'd say something to him about how I couldn't wait for him to get some minutes, and he'd usually at least stop and respond. For all the ego/immaturity issues the guy supposedly has, he definitely pulls off the down-to-Earth bit.

I'll echo what another poster said and say we've got an awesome group of players as far as fan interaction goes. I don't have a single negative thing to say about any of them.

This doesn't qualify as a player interaction, but at one of the last games we attended this season, we went down and said hi to Chris Denari after the game. If I recall, it was the Golden State game. Denari talked to us for a good while, seemed genuinely interested in the usual small talk things like where we were from, how often we got to see the games, etc. But it branched into a pretty lengthy conversation. Got to talk to him about our rookies, the future of the team, the attitude towards the team in Indy, and non-Pacers stuff like his sons, our own plans after graduation, and whether he should get an iPhone or a Droid as his next phone. At the next game, we said hi to him again briefly and he asked if we had tickets for the Knicks game. Told him no, and he said we could have his if no one else was interested. Game came and went, I figured he found someone, no big deal. Then for the Kings game about 2 weeks later, he calls and offers us his tickets. Considering I thought we were done going to games this year (my income had slowed a little), this was beyond awesome. Tickets aside though, getting to chat with Denari was just great. I can't say enough about how well he represented the organization, and how good of a guy he certainly is even when basketball isn't involved.

All of this has happened this year. I'll stop short of writing a few more paragraphs about the personal value of this season and just say it's been a good year.

37. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to smj887 For This Useful Post: