Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pacers last 9 losses have all been by double figures

Default Pacers last 9 losses have all been by double figures

Do we care?

Does it tell us anything about this team?

Does that mean the team isn't as good as their record would indicate lately.

What that also means is the Pacers have been winning all the close games. So have they learned how to win the close games.

Is this anything to be concerned about

I'm just the messenger and just asking questions. Don't jump to any conclusions

http://www.indystar.com/article/20110404/SPORTS04/104040327/1062/SPORTS04/Pacers-fall-flat-New-Orleans-keep-their-playoff-lead
    Last edited by Unclebuck; 04-04-2011 at 11:06 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Unclebuck For This Useful Post:

Banned

Default Re: Pacers last 9 losses have all been by double figures

This means that when the Pacers are bad they are horrible and when the Pacers are good they can beat anybody, this normally happens when you play young guys, we just never experience this because the old coach wouldn't play young guys.

It comes down to which team comes to play each night.... Dr. Jeckyll or Mr. Hyde.

Whoever is in charge this off season has a job on their hands getting the right players to make this team click.

This team is in a good position now for an ownership change as I addressed numerous times earlier in the season.

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

As Longfellow put it:

"There was a little girl, who had a little curl
    Right in the middle of her forehead,
    And when she was good, she was very, very good,
    But when she was bad she was horrid."
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:

All,

Mr. Wells has corrected me on this matter. The correct number is 11, not 9, though the point is the same.

This group, while not without talent, is bereft of a hard core carnivore in a position of influence. This person can not be a coach; he must be a player. Think Jordan, Stockton, Duncan, Iverson, et al. I'm not speaking from the standpoint of talent, as all of the aforementioned are considerably more talented than anyone currently populating the roster of The Blue and Yellow Menace. I am referring to a desire to compete and win that can actually be unhealthy if not checked.

Virtually all teams in the Pacers position lack such a presence. It is one of the things that separates the good teams from the teams that wish they were good.

MJB

8. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to mboyle1313 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Default Re: Pacers last 11 losses have all been by double figures

How many of those games were back to backs though.

It seems we always lose large on a back to back. I didnt get to watch yesterday.

Yes, what MJB said is the most important factor.

Just to get into it a little more. It seems to me when things start to go bad within a game, they cannot right themselves.

Another stat that back up the point is the Pacers are 4-31 when trailing at halftime. Wow that is unbelievable, I didn't even realize that.

Just for reference the cavs are 7-48, the Wizards are 7-44.

(Who ever said NBA games are decided in the 4th quarter.

Pacers are 4-32 when trailing heading into the 4th quarter.

So if you have a very busy schedule, watch the first half and stop, no reason to watch after halftime

It's not surprising to me. All a team has to do is hold serve after the first quarter.

I think it's more surprising that we've won as many games after having to dig out of a 10+ point deficit every game.

We needed to make a change in the starting lineup but we didn't move the right guy.

Bright side: We're winning close games?!

Quote Originally Posted by mboyle1313 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    All,

Mr. Wells has corrected me on this matter. The correct number is 11, not 9, though the point is the same.
    By my count, you were right saying 9.

Since losing in Dallas 116-108 on March the 4t, the Pacers have lost by double digits @ Houston, vs Philadelphia, @ Minnesota, @ Toronto, @ Boston, @ Memphis, vs Sacramento, @ Detroit and @ New Orleans.

If my brain still supports me, that's nine games.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Marlin For This Useful Post:

Well we start a rookie, two 2nd year players(Tyler is more like a rookie), a 3rd year player and Danny...we tend to forget how young we are.

Marlin,

Turns out nine is accurate. I should have known better than to trust Wells. Nine is still enought to be a franchise record in that department.

MJB

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mboyle1313 For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really don't care. I hate loses, no matter if they're by 1 point or 21 points.

But, on the bright side. We're still in the 8th spot with 3 of our 4 remaining games at home. Gotta finish the season out.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

All,

This group, while not without talent, is bereft of a hard core carnivore in a position of influence. This person can not be a coach; he must be a player. Think Jordan, Stockton, Duncan, Iverson, et al. I'm not speaking from the standpoint of talent, as all of the aforementioned are considerably more talented than anyone currently populating the roster of The Blue and Yellow Menace. I am referring to a desire to compete and win that can actually be unhealthy if not checked.

Virtually all teams in the Pacers position lack such a presence. It is one of the things that separates the good teams from the teams that wish they were good.

MJB
    That hurts, no question about it. Yesterday was the perfect example of the difference between a good "best player" and Danny Granger.

Chris Paul didn't put up huge numbers (how good is a player when 18 points and 8 assists from a point guard, seems like average statistical output?) but his effect on the game was undeniable. He leads both vocally and by example.

That is what separates Granger from the the elite players in the league. They lead, he is content to follow.

This team suffers from a severe lack of leadership, and until we bring someone in capable of being that kind of personality, we're never going to be the kind of team that can seriously compete in the playoffs.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

You know, this obviously worries me to a certain extent, but did anyone see the schedule for March? We played a ridiculous amount of games. Obviously youth plays a factor in that(the inconsistency), but at the same time, our guys had to be worn out.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Awesome For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

As several have pointed out, this team is very young and inexperienced. They haven't had any NBA success and 3 of the starters have played less than 2 seasons. I can't think of any other team in the NBA in playoff position that has less experience in the starting lineup.

A team doesn't win with talent alone. Even the Bulls weren't very good during Michael Jordan's first 3 seasons because they had a lot of young and unproven players. No one would say that they didn't have a player that had enough talent, drive to win, leadership qualities, ect because MJ, even as a Rookie, was one of the best players in the league (ROY, 2nd team All NBA). I think that experience really gets underestimated.

Probably the biggest factor in the Pacers double-digit loses is that they are a terrible road team. Eight of those nine loses were on the road.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

23. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

MTM

Sports Logo

This will only worry me next season when we have a Long-Term Coach in place and a stronger lineup that will likely include 2 new long-term Starters in the lineup to add to the existing core of young Players that we have.

As Justin Tyme posted....we have young Players...this is to be expected. I don't like it...but that's the likely reason for our "ups and downs".
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

It is ka Thankee sai Major Cold's Avatar
    Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post

That is what separates Granger from the the elite players in the league. They lead, he is content to follow.
    It is extremely tough to get players that play on the elite level and lead. There are leaders that have little voice because they do not play on an elite level (Jack).

To get both in one player is rare. That is how special Reggie was to this team.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Marlin,

Turns out nine is accurate. I should have known better than to trust Wells. Nine is still enought to be a franchise record in that department.

MJB
    He really needs to lay off the hard liquor. Sad to see his math skills take such a major hit. It does make for more interesting tweets though.

Come on Mikey, step up that game.

This group, while not without talent, is bereft of a hard core carnivore in a position of influence.
    Not to suck up, but this is probably my favorite line written about the Pacers probably since Bob Collins wrote something. Just the right amount of color and accuracy.

It's funny because Roy is certainly emotional and driven to put in effort, much like Tyler is driven though without the emotional level, but neither has that presence in the heat of battle that suggests an innate knowledge that they simply are the best person on the court in that moment and refuse to be told otherwise.

Finding that in someone who has the talent to back it to at least some degree but who doesn't have the ego problem it can create is really tough. Dare I say Artest had that in him but was so socially awkward to interact with that the effect was partially neutralized, and eventually undermined.

Clearly Danny wants to be that type, as does Roy I think. But I think at gut check time these guys just don't view themselves that way, maybe because they are smart enough to recognize that they aren't the best guy out there.

Perhaps they have too much self-awareness
    . I certainly think we see that hurt Rush at times.
    Last edited by Naptown_Seth; 04-04-2011 at 03:35 PM.

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Naptown_Seth For This Useful Post:

The issue is that this team, if they start a game off trailing by a good amount, they'll shut down.

From last night, specifically the starters didn't have it going in the first quarter and then they shut down.

We need to go out every game and for all the minutes, play like we care and play harder than we started the game off.

A specific player who really effects our win/loss is Roy. When he's playing like a powerful center, we've been pretty much anybody, but if he's fearful like last night and lets the opposing big man have his way in the paint, then it makes it really tough for everyone else.

Mark-

Yup. Or as Dakich has put it more than once over time, the Pacers
    lack a 'killer' (ie, a player who simply hates to lose with every fiber
    of his being, will fight tooth and nail to avoid it and wills those around
    him on his team to adopt a similar attitude wether they like it or not).

I should have known better than to trust Wells.
    Epic Win.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

I beg you people, for the love of all the is good and pleasing, please learn how to spell the word "losses."

"Loses" is a verb.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Anthem View Post
    I beg you people, for the love of all the is good and pleasing, please learn how to spell the word "losses."

"Loses" is a verb.
    Just be glad they aren't spelling it "looses".
    BillS

"Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

Future (Summer) TPTB TBD, find a way to get us a new guy or two that really have the cojones to be the matador, por favor!
    I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees.

-Emiliano Zapata