Thread: Defense Makes a Difference for Hansbrough, Pacers

Default Defense Makes a Difference for Hansbrough, Pacers

http://www.indycornrows.com/2011/4/2...cers?ref=yahoo
    "You don't worry about me shooting, to be honest with you," Tyler Hansbrough said with a chuckle. "I'm going to get my shots up."

One locker over, Danny Granger intervened, shaking his head vigorously side-to-side. "No, no, no...don't worry that. Don't worry about Tyler getting his shots up."

The light-hearted banter was the fruit of a big win for the Indiana Pacers despite an off night at the offensive end. While Hansbrough passed up a few shots he normally takes, he still made his presence felt in the win.

Defense, of all things, put the Pacers in position to secure a playoff spot. With five games to play, their magic number is now four games meaning any combination of Pacers wins and Charlotte losses equaling four will put the Pacers back in the playoffs after four post-seasons on the outside.

That defense was great from start to finish, literally. On a very active first possession of the game for the Bucks, ended in a shot-clock violation. Then after an up and down game left the Bucks with the ball and a chance to win at the buzzer, the Pacers forced the Bucks to rely on Drew Gooden 25 feet from the hoop. The shot was contested and the resulting clank sealed the win and may in turn seal the Pacers spot in the playoffs.

"I'm very proud of our defensive effort," Frank Vogel said following the game. "It was a great effort by our guys. We have a confident bunch defensively. They know when it's on the line they can get stops and they proved it tonight."

Among the defensive improvements, Hansbrough's effort stood out. He's made a stir this season at the offensive end, but late rotations from the weakside defense in aid of his teammates, most notably Roy Hibbert have been a sore spot for the coaching staff. But tonight his play earned a special mention by Vogel following the game.

Against Milwaukee, Hansbrough helped guard the yard and keep the lane clogged. So while Hansbrough admitted he was a little out of his comfort zone on offense, passing up some shots he normally takes, he was still able to make an impact at the defensive end. Vogel was asked to elaborate on where Hansbrough's improvement showed up.

"Weakside,'" Vogel stated simply. "We pointed out to him in film session. You know, he's a passionate player, an energetic player he wants to keep his man off the glass. So too frequently in the last few games, he's been more worried about keeping his man off the glass than stepping up and protecting the paint. He was just sensational in his help defense, early on and really the whole game. He really grew leaps and bounds in one game."

Hansbrough was happy to come through last night but didn't sound satisfied.

"I'm trying to get my rotations down," Hansbrough said. "If a guy comes out and Roy hasn't gotten back to his man then I try to help him out. It's something that I notice on the tape and have to learn."

Hansbrough continues to develop all facets of his game, and while his defense has lagged behind his offense, maybe it is starting to catch up. After all, it wasn't long ago that his mid-range jumper was sketchy, but now he's questioned when he doesn't shoot it as much.

Who knows? Before long maybe we won't have to worry about Hansbrough providing solid help-side to take a charge or create a turnover just like Granger assures us now that we don't need to worry about the forward getting his shots.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pwee31 For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Defense Makes a Difference for Hansbrough, Pacers

Nice to hear that Vogel is using his film to teach the finer points of the game.

Just a little positive note on Tyler. He's hovering pretty close to 47% shooting in what amounts to his rookie year. What a difference a year makes.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I still think that his defense/energy was more effective in the 2nd unit when he was in the Goon Squad.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still think that his defense/energy was more effective in the 2nd unit when he was in the Goon Squad.
    This is an extremely important point IMO. Tyler can dominate the game against backups with his aggressiveness, but he is rendered rather average against starting front lines. IOW, you get more bang for your buck with him against the scrubs than you do using other players on the second unit. This is due to his aggression more than anything.

Also, while I do think Tyler is better than Josh...our starting unit needs Josh more than Tyler. There are already enough guys who love to shoot the ball. Goodness, from Collison to Granger to Dunleavy to Hibbert...the last thing you need in there is Tyler. What we really need with that unit is Dale Davis...

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueNGold For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BlueNGold View Post
    This is an extremely important point IMO. Tyler can dominate the game against backups with his aggressiveness, but he is rendered rather average against starting front lines. IOW, you get more bang for your buck with him against the scrubs than you do using other players on the second unit. This is due to his aggression more than anything.

Also, while I do think Tyler is better than Josh...our starting unit needs Josh more than Tyler. There are already enough guys who love to shoot the ball. Goodness, from Collison to Granger to Dunleavy to Hibbert...the last thing you need in there is Tyler. What we really need with that unit is Dale Davis...
    However, I would like to add that when Hansbrough was effectively scoring in the Starting lineup.....it made Granger more of an efficient scorer.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    However, I would like to add that when Hansbrough was effectively scoring in the Starting lineup.....it made Granger more of an efficient scorer.
    During Hansbrough's hot streak, Granger averaged 19.9 points on 37.3% shooting. His season averages are 20.5 points on 42.5%.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    During Hansbrough's hot streak, Granger averaged 19.9 points on 37.3% shooting. His season averages are 20.5 points on 42.5%.
    I stand corrected then....I really thought that when Hansbrough was "on"...he was commanding enough attention on the offensive end that it allowed Granger to do his "thing" without warranting a double-team.

But I guess that this is more true whenever anyone else in the lineup with him is "on" when it comes to scoring.

Hansborough is better served in the 2nd unit, so are the Pacers if he is there, rarely since he became a starter do we get to see Roy involved in the game, Hans should be the 5th option in the starting 5, 4th at best, he makes himself shared 1st.

Also the defense lapses with him in it, one game does not make a season.

There is a reason why a certain lineup is our best starting unit.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    Hansborough is better served in the 2nd unit, so are the Pacers if he is there, rarely since he became a starter do we get to see Roy involved in the game, Hans should be the 5th option in the starting 5, 4th at best, he makes himself shared 1st.

Also the defense lapses with him in it, one game does not make a season.

There is a reason why a certain lineup is our best starting unit.
    I guess the question is who is the better matchup on the defensive end for both McBob and Hansbrough.

Who is better suited to defend against Boozer....McBob or Hansbrough?

The only thing that I can think of that may give Boozer some trouble is McBob's length and overall athleticsm. I don't really recall how Hansbrough did against him.

I recall Taj Gibson causing problems for the whole Team due to his athleticsm and length....would he give problems for Hansbrough in the 2nd unit?

Th

the point is in the second unit a lot revolves around Tyler where in the 1st, in order to be successful it has to revolve around Roy, McBob is much better suited in that position on the 1st then Tyler, and because Tyler makes "his man" work on defense it becomes easier for him on defense.

Same reason is Dun is good for 1st because he causes movement, though Rush is a far better defender and can move well if that is his role, again, that role, (see ALL in that position) is 5th option and that is a hard and unselfish job
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to able For This Useful Post: