Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 101 to 125 of 167

Thread: Josh Smith Availability

  1. #101
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see what you see because there will be too many players coming up for their second contracts in a few short years and there will be no money to sign all of them. This team needs to avoid the situation where Donnie had to let Brad Miller go because he had to resign Bender, Foster, and Reggie. So Smith, Igoudala, Granger will just break the bank.
    Soooo we're just supposed to sit still and do nothing to improve the team and stay pat as a .500 team next year (hopefully)?

    Terrible reasoning, and plan.

    When you're closer to 10 games under .500 than being .500 you don't stand pat unless you've got a Kobe, Wade, or Lebron in their rookie years who will single handedly drag you out of the .500 muck just by improving. Do we have that guy? Doubt it.

  2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  3. #102

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Soooo we're just supposed to sit still and do nothing to improve the team and stay pat as a .500 team next year (hopefully)?

    Terrible reasoning, and plan.

    When you're closer to 10 games under .500 than being .500 you don't stand pat unless you've got a Kobe, Wade, or Lebron in their rookie years who will single handedly drag you out of the .500 muck just by improving. Do we have that guy? Doubt it.
    I'm not saying standing pat but you make sure that the guys you have been grooming are not going somewhere else. You always seem to have have some editorial comment about other people's lacking the intelligence you attribute to yourself. .

  4. #103

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    If only there was a way to get both Josh Smith and Iggy...

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Doddage For This Useful Post:


  6. #104
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This is what I have been trying to say. I still cannot understand why so many on this board want to improve the best position on the team first. This makes no sense whatsoever. Even if I agree (and I dont) that Smith is an elite PF, then adding him to our team still only puts us vying for the 8th seed and we just sunk millions into our best position.
    Like you said. ATL's lineup is waaaaaaaay better than ours. If Smith was so good then why would he be available? The answer: the grass always looks better on the other side. Keep Smith and ad a pg/sg/c that can defend and we have a real team here.
    PF is not our best position, and Josh Smith is light years ahead of Tyler.

    Smith could be available because they have near 70 million dollars tied up in just 7 players. They still need 8 more signings and are looking at spending way, way too much money for a team that's as bad off as we are financially I'd guess. It's not because he sucks or for any other reason.

    Besides that you keep acting like this one thing is the only thing we'll ever do. We're far from being a contender and to get there it's going to take a series of moves. Nobody is going to just hand us Wade/Lebron/Kobe to help us out. Adding a guy who commands respect in the paint on defense, is an All NBA defender and can score, handle the ball and pass well is one hell of a step in that direction. No single move we make is going to make us contenders, I don't care what position it's at.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:


  8. #105
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'm not saying standing pat but you make sure that the guys you have been grooming are not going somewhere else. You always seem to have have some editorial comment about other people's lacking the intelligence you attribute to yourself. .
    Well if we're not standing pat, then we can trade the one's we don't plan on signing before that day comes, yes? Not seeing the problem.

    As for editorial comment deal, it's my opinion, so of course I'm going to think it's right. It's mine. Just as anyone else thinks their own is correct, and mine is wrong. If you'd rather not hear someone defend their own stance on something, you probably shouldn't be on the internet. Or talk to people. Or watch TV.

    I've seen you make a couple snide comments about me over the last year, and I've ignored them for the most part. Don't know what to tell you man, you seem to take me a bit too personal. Ignore function works well.
    Last edited by xBulletproof; 04-03-2011 at 12:04 AM.

  9. #106

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    As for editorial comment deal, it's my opinion, so of course I'm going to think it's right. It's mine. Just as anyone else thinks their own is correct, and mine is wrong. If you'd rather not hear someone defend their own stance on something, you probably shouldn't be on the internet. Or talk to people. Or watch TV.

    I've seen you make a couple snide comments about me over the last year, and I've ignored them for the most part. Don't know what to tell you man, you seem to take me a bit too personal. Ignore function works well.
    Absolutely and you are the only one on this board that I ever put on ignore and now you're going back on. You can do the same.

  10. #107
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,667

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Well if we're not standing pat, then we can trade the one's we don't plan on signing before that day comes, yes? Not seeing the problem....
    cdash must have been busy tonight, so I came in as a self-annointed middle-inning reliever.

    I'm glad our closer has arrived. And, may the force be with you. As for me, I'm going to bed.

  11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:


  12. #108
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Absolutely and you are the only one on this board that I ever put on ignore and now you're going back on. You can do the same.
    .... but I don't need to do the same. I'm not the one that's cranky because the other person has an opinion. Hope it works out for you though, honestly.

    In fact, I'd say I dealt with your snide comments better than you deal with me having an opinion. I must have met you and did something to you personally, or said something that really hurt your soul. I don't get it. There's a few people I'd understand putting me on ignore, vnzla because we couldn't agree on the color of the sky, I swear, and Sookie at one point when I nitpicked multiple arguments with her over a 2 day span and 2 were a misunderstanding that was my fault completely. And maybe a couple of other people. You, you just seem to have a real personal issue with me like I met you and ruined your life or something. Get some thicker skin fella. It's the internet. You're not hurting my feelings that I'm your lone ignore victim. Save yourself the strain on your ticker and cool down. This isn't that deep.

    Last edited by xBulletproof; 04-03-2011 at 12:24 AM.

  13. #109
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by beast23 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    cdash must have been busy tonight, so I came in as a self-annointed middle-inning reliever.

    I'm glad our closer has arrived. And, may the force be with you. As for me, I'm going to bed.
    A baseball, and Star Wars reference all the same post. That alone is deserving of a thanks.

  14. #110

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    PF is not our best position, and Josh Smith is light years ahead of Tyler.

    Smith could be available because they have near 70 million dollars tied up in just 7 players. They still need 8 more signings and are looking at spending way, way too much money for a team that's as bad off as we are financially I'd guess. It's not because he sucks or for any other reason.

    Besides that you keep acting like this one thing is the only thing we'll ever do. We're far from being a contender and to get there it's going to take a series of moves. Nobody is going to just hand us Wade/Lebron/Kobe to help us out. Adding a guy who commands respect in the paint on defense, is an All NBA defender and can score, handle the ball and pass well is one hell of a step in that direction. No single move we make is going to make us contenders, I don't care what position it's at.
    How many All-Star games has Smith played in? He is not light years ahead of any starting PF in the league. He is a little above average. Not many teams will be in the hunt for an overpaid PF who has attitude problems.
    Again, concerning the finances, we have no idea what the CBA will be. We may be able to get 1-2 good pieces this summer. I hope we can, I just dont see it after we re-sign/sign bench players. WE already have 1 highly overpaid player in DG. Dont' want another.
    I would take Horford and Hinrich off their hands though!
    Last edited by troyc11a; 04-03-2011 at 12:30 AM.

  15. #111
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many All-Star games has Smith played in? He is not light years ahead of any starting PF in the league. He is a little above average. Not many teams will be in the hint for an overpaid PF who has attitude problems.
    Based on this argument, you shouldn't want Andre Iguodala either. He hasn't played in an All Star game. In fact I'd say Smith and Iguodala are very comparable in skill sets except Smith is a much better shot blocker, and their standing relative to their positions is damn near equal. Both are above average on offense, but excel at defense. I'm not contradicting myself however, I've been very vocal of wanting Iguodala as well.

    In fact, now that I think about it I have no idea how you can support getting one, and not want the other.

  16. #112

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Based on this argument, you shouldn't want Andre Iguodala either. He hasn't played in an All Star game. In fact I'd say Smith and Iguodala are very comparable in skill sets except Smith is a much better shot blocker, and their standing relative to their positions is damn near equal. Both are above average on offense, but excel at defense. I'm not contradicting myself however, I've been very vocal of wanting Iguodala as well.

    In fact, now that I think about it I have no idea how you can support getting one, and not want the other.
    It is really easy to understand how Iggy would help our team more than Smith. WE get nothing out of the 2 spot - NOTHING at all. George is 2-3 years away.
    We have 2 realiable PF's who are getting better.
    So we really need Iggy. We could use Smith. Big difference.
    At least we can agree on Iggy. I say we need a pg worse than a PF too. They are just so darn hard to come by.

  17. #113
    I have a Member xBulletproof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,671

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It is really easy to understand how Iggy would help our team more than Smith. WE get nothing out of the 2 spot - NOTHING at all. George is 2-3 years away.
    We have 2 realiable PF's who are getting better.
    So we really need Iggy. We could use Smith. Big difference.
    At least we can agree on Iggy. I say we need a pg worse than a PF too. They are just so darn hard to come by.
    We really need Iggy over anyone else? For what? We're not going to be a contender the next year or two regardless. Do we really need to fill a job we expect PG24 to fill by the time we will matter anyway? George could easily come in and average 13 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 1 block next year. That wouldn't even take groundbreaking improvement. Hell, he'd probably average 12 points per game now if he could catch and shoot. He hits his jumpers on the move, but catch and shoot I don't think he's ever had to do in his life. He's always been the guy with the ball in his hand. Once he figures out how to catch and shoot this offseason, and adds some strength he should be an average starting SG next year.

    We'll have only 1 PF unless McRoberts decides to come back, since he is a free agent. Even if he does, I wouldn't argue with him getting the backup C minutes against most teams anyway.

  18. #114

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We really need Iggy over anyone else? For what? We're not going to be a contender the next year or two regardless. Do we really need to fill a job we expect PG24 to fill by the time we will matter anyway? George could easily come in and average 13 points, 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals and 1 block next year. That wouldn't even take groundbreaking improvement. Hell, he'd probably average 12 points per game now if he could catch and shoot. He hits his jumpers on the move, but catch and shoot I don't think he's ever had to do in his life. He's always been the guy with the ball in his hand. Once he figures out how to catch and shoot this offseason, and adds some strength he should be an average starting SG next year.

    We'll have only 1 PF unless McRoberts decides to come back, since he is a free agent. Even if he does, I wouldn't argue with him getting the backup C minutes against most teams anyway.
    Everyone in the NBA would score more if ther were better at the "Catch and shoot."
    I dont see any fight in George. He looks like a guy who is happy to be paid and just plays. I know he is young. But I am not sure the "fight" is something that is worked into you. You either have it or you dont. Right now, not only does he not have it - He looks like he's never seen it.
    Great talent that could just as easily be wasted as going for 13/5 next year.
    So is there ANY position on this roster that you think needs improvement other than the 4? You seem to act like we have a group of hall of famers running around out there (lol)

  19. #115
    Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    In the Washington DC area
    Posts
    4,322
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Smith brings shotblocking, but his game IQ isn't great, and he doesn't like contact on the offensive end of the court, hence, he likes to stay on the outside and shoot the three, which he's not too good at. He seems aloof and has had previous attitude problems. He's a bit of a tweener of 3/4 and doesn't have the beef that I'd like to see paired with Roy.

  20. #116
    Whale Shepherd cdash's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    The Sprawl
    Age
    29
    Posts
    18,467

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by MyFavMartin View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Smith brings shotblocking, but his game IQ isn't great, and he doesn't like contact on the offensive end of the court, hence, he likes to stay on the outside and shoot the three, which he's not too good at. He seems aloof and has had previous attitude problems. He's a bit of a tweener of 3/4 and doesn't have the beef that I'd like to see paired with Roy.
    He has greatly reduced his three point shooting the last two years compared to his overconfidence before then with his outside shooting. He's not a tweener at the 3/4. He's a 4 who can guard 3s, so he is just versatile. Roy doesn't necessarily need beef next to him. He needs a defensive minded PF next to him. Either that's a beefy Varejao-type or an athletic rim protecting shot blocker like Josh Smith. Josh Smith has a more advanced offensive game than Varejao and would benefit from Roy's passing ability for dunks and put backs.

  21. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:


  22. #117
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dillon, Co
    Posts
    4,225

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Given the choice betweeen Smith and Nene, I'd take Nene or a player like him. I think we need a 4 who can move over to 5 over a 4 who can guard 3's. If we could get Smith for the right price I'd still say do it. I'm hoping the new cba puts us in a position to help a team out that has to shed salary to get to the new cap, so we can be nice enough to take a star player off their hands for a pick.

  23. #118
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,325

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    How many All-Star games has Smith played in? He is not light years ahead of any starting PF in the league. He is a little above average. Not many teams will be in the hunt for an overpaid PF who has attitude problems.
    Again, concerning the finances, we have no idea what the CBA will be. We may be able to get 1-2 good pieces this summer. I hope we can, I just dont see it after we re-sign/sign bench players. WE already have 1 highly overpaid player in DG. Dont' want another.
    I would take Horford and Hinrich off their hands though!
    So first you claim PF is our best position... Now you say that Granger is Highly Overpaid?
    Wow.

  24. #119

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So first you claim PF is our best position... Now you say that Granger is Highly Overpaid?
    Wow.
    Granger is paid like a "Batman" but plays like a "Robin." This has been suggested on this board by many. That is not a controversial statement at all. Granger is a good player being paid like a great one.

  25. #120
    crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    7,351

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    ..Except for the part where he isn't overpaid. "Batmen" get paid max contracts. Danny is not getting paid a max contract. He's a good player getting paid like a good player.

  26. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:


  27. #121
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Evansville, IN
    Posts
    1,078

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger is paid like a "Batman" but plays like a "Robin." This has been suggested on this board by many. That is not a controversial statement at all. Granger is a good player being paid like a great one.
    Really? I agree that Granger is forced to play as Batman when he is a Robin, but his pay is comparable to a Robin (10-12M per season). Most elite players in this league make anywhere from 15-20M per season, Danny is well below that.

    In fact, I would venture to say Danny is slightly underpaid. Look at the Spurs - their franchise guy makes 18M per season and the Robin's (Parker/Manu) are making 12-13M. Boozer was just signed as a second fiddle to 14M per season. Josh Smith & Horford are making 12M plus per year.

    I'm not a huge Danny Granger fan, and I'm not even certain he's the 2nd best player on a contender, but I can recognize his value is worth what he is being paid, if not above..

  28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to purdue101 For This Useful Post:


  29. #122
    Member yoadknux's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Israel
    Age
    23
    Posts
    1,325

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Granger is paid like a "Batman" but plays like a "Robin." This has been suggested on this board by many. That is not a controversial statement at all. Granger is a good player being paid like a great one.
    The different salaries of the "Batmen" of the legaue:
    Kobe Bryant LA Lakers $24,806,250
    Pau Gasol LA Lakers $17,822,187
    Carmelo Anthony New York $17,149,243
    Dwight Howard Orlando $16,509,600
    Amare Stoudemire New York $16,486,611
    Chris Paul New Orleans $14,940,152
    Deron Williams New Jersey $14,940,152
    LeBron James Miami $14,500,000

    Granger's Salary: $10,973,202
    He's not overpaid. Wanna see overpaid?
    Rashard Lewis Washington $20,514,000
    Michael Redd Milwaukee $18,300,000
    Andrei Kirilenko Utah $17,822,187
    Vince Carter Phoenix $17,300,000
    Zach Randolph Memphis $17,333,333
    Joe Johnson Atlanta $16,324,500 (haha, JJ is gonna make more money than Jordan)

  30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:


  31. #123
    Member beezer615's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    111

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    When I think of our Kryptonite, I think of the Hawks and specifically Josh Smith. With or without new and improved Tyler. Tyler can bang with bigs, but Josh can fly over him in a single bound and swat shots. 2 completely different games. it would be awesome to have them both. Throw draft picks at em...

  32. #124
    Release Psycho T pwee31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    7,171

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    I think Josh Smith would bring a lot of positive to this team. Defense gets better, he takes the pressure off of Roy of being the only true shot blocker. He's athletic, and a high flier to excite the fans. He's still really young coming straight out of high school, and he's an upgrade in talent.

    Not sure what it takes to get him, but it's something you have to look at.

    I think the Hawks are going to ask for a young center if they do decide to move him, b/c they would like to move Horford to his natural position of PF.

    Do I move Hibbert for Smith... no. A 1st round pick, filler and space...absolutely.

  33. #125

    Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

    Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    ..Except for the part where he isn't overpaid. "Batmen" get paid max contracts. Danny is not getting paid a max contract. He's a good player getting paid like a good player.
    The next 3 years DG is getting paid = $12mill, $13mill, and $14mill.

    I know it is not a max contract, but it is close enough with the current CBA. I am not sure what Danny could have maxed out at anyway. That's still a ton of money and cap space for a guy who doesnt lead! I bet we can all list about 10 players making significantly less who we would trade him for in a heartbeat (excluding rookie contracts would be a little more difficult but possible)

Similar Threads

  1. why would the hawks deal josh smith
    By PacersPride in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 01-04-2011, 07:12 AM
  2. Hawks exploring trades for Josh Smith (could be our PF)
    By The Future in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 134
    Last Post: 10-02-2010, 11:14 AM
  3. Josh Smith anybody? ESPN trade rumor
    By vnzla81 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 55
    Last Post: 06-17-2009, 07:20 AM
  4. Mark Cuban responds to Josh Howard situation
    By juadam09 in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •