Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Josh Smith Availability

Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

since the pacers play ATL next friday, we will all get a chance to see if tyler = jsmith. my guess, smith will have an easy night shooting over tyler and/or josh. if you can get josh smith on the pacers, tyler, mcbobs and everyone else takes a step down. josh smith is a top 10 PF. much better than what the pacers have now.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just for the info, Smith is in his 7 season. It's not hard to look up.
    From the guy who just asked if I could count.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    I simply watch a team that has exactly one guy that plays hard each night and he is the one everyone wants to bench or move out. I love watching Tyler because of his passion. And as for years, Smith is in his third. I just cant understand the reasoning behind bringing him in when he is no better than the guy we have.
    Except he isn't nearly as good as Smith in a lot of ways.

You're either just a really, really bad judge in evaluating talent or you haven't watched Josh Smith. There really aren't any other options.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Except he isn't nearly as good as Smith in a lot of ways.

You're either just a really, really bad judge in evaluating talent or you haven't watched Josh Smith. There really aren't any other options.
    this. josh smith is a top 5, top 10 PF talent. pacers have no one even close to him. he is one of the guys that the pacers should really make an effort to get.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post

Edit: I am not sure how much we can trade for and give the other team cap relief. I think you are going over....
    There are many 'ifs' there, it's more a wishlist of a fan than a realistic plan.
    I mean, how many times have teams pulled something like that anyway. As in, 4 better starters -- mostly through trades -- in a short span. i think only once, Dumars in Detroit.

As for cap, i won't check numbers, but off the top of my head, I think that's actually the most realistic part. It should work. We'd be adding around 30-35 mil (?), while giving away 8-10 (?). That could work if cap doesn't change. If the numbers are wrong, might have to throw in Posey's expiring in one of the deals, or renounce Dun or McBob Bird rights.

My initial first choice for starting PF was West. I liked his PnR game and he is a very capable scorer and rebounder while also being a better than average defender. However, Smith is by far the more complete player and is one of the top 2-3 defenders at the position.

That being said, I would do everything I could to complete the trade without sacrificing Granger. We drafted Granger and it appears he considers himself to be a long-term Hoosier. Once his contract is up, I think most of us would believe that Granger would be willing to re-sign with us once again. Giving up Granger could prove a bit risky 2 years from now when it comes time to renegotiate Smith's contract. Is he as likely to stay as Granger? Just asking... because 2 years down the road if we find ourselves without Smith AND Granger, we are in trouble.

I would probably keep Granger and Hibbert off-limits if possible. But I would be willing to give up anyone else to get Smith. If that could be done, Hibbert, Smith and Granger make an excellent base for the makings of a very good team.

If we had those three players, I would lean towards a defensive-minded team and see if the Sixers could be persuaded to part with Igoudala. I believe that with these four players, perimeter shooting would suffer, but we would definitely have one of the best defending starting units in the league.

The coming summer, if we can only get a new CBA, could prove to be a very interesting off-season. It looks like there will be many teams looking to shed salary. I can hardly wait to see what our acquisitions will be.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I'm a little reluctant to trade Roy to get Josh Smith because getting rid of Roy isn't going to do much for us because Smith needs a center to play with.

I would, however trade Danny for Smith straight up or throw in a future 1st round pick or 2 if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by xIndyFan View Post
    this. josh smith is a top 5, top 10 PF talent. pacers have no one even close to him. he is one of the guys that the pacers should really make an effort to get.
    Josh Smith is about the 3rd or 4th best player on his own team. How in the world is he a top 5 talent?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Just for the info, Smith is in his 7 season. It's not hard to look up.
    I was taking off for "college" years to make it more even. Its really not fair to compare a guys who are close in age while one has played 7 years in the NBA while the other has played only 2. Smith should be miles ahead of Tyler in his development.

I am still not sure we are utilizing Danny to the best of his abilities. I wouldn't trade him and his scoring punch for Josh unless they threw something else in (Jo. Crawford?) and we threw in someone like Tyler too.

I want to keep Roy.

Artificial Intelligence wintermute's Avatar

Josh Smith is about the 3rd or 4th best player on his own team. How in the world is he a top 5 talent?
    The guy you quoted said he was a top 5, top 10 PF - I'd agree with top 10 PF. I have Horford as the Hawks' best player, with Josh Smith 2nd best and Joe Johnson 3rd. I'd say Joe is Granger level talent, with Smith a step above.

There's no doubt that Smith is extremely talented, but I don't think he's playing up to his potential. In particular, his immaturity, shot selection, and lack of focus really hurts his team. Just check his game logs to see how up and down his play could be.

He's a top defender in the league though. And his athleticism can be difficult for some teams to handle (i.e. Pacers). In the Hawks' 3 wins against us this season, Josh Smith is averaging 24.3 pts 8.3 reb 4.0 ast 3.3 blk on 51% shooting. That's some monster numbers there.

No idea whether the Hawks plan to move him or not, but if they do I think he's worth the gamble.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

josh smith gets blocks, steals, rebounds, and has a jump shot. and he is quick enough to defend 3s and 4s well. he can jump out of the gym. tyler may be offensively gifted, but josh is the complete package.

tyler, he's getting there. but anyone who thinks they are at the same level of talent is surely surely misguided.

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    There are many 'ifs' there, it's more a wishlist of a fan than a realistic plan.
    I mean, how many times have teams pulled something like that anyway. As in, 4 better starters -- mostly through trades -- in a short span. i think only once, Dumars in Detroit.

As for cap, i won't check numbers, but off the top of my head, I think that's actually the most realistic part. It should work. We'd be adding around 30-35 mil (?), while giving away 8-10 (?). That could work if cap doesn't change. If the numbers are wrong, might have to throw in Posey's expiring in one of the deals, or renounce Dun or McBob Bird rights.
    I think we could get Josh Smith with just Roy Hibbert. There are very few promising young centers in the league that can score and I think the Hawks would pull the trigger on the deal in heart beat.

I would be happy with a future lineup of:

pg: Collison 1.5 mill
    sg: Mayo 5 mill
    sf: Danny G 13 mill
    pf: Josh Smith 13 mill
    C: Dalembert 7 mill

Backups: Price, Djones, PG, Rush (may have to package him for JSmith), Tyler, Name your backup Center (Foster, Kwame Brown, Pryzbilla).

Defensively that frontcourt is now very tough which you are going to need if Collison is our starting pg and we still have money to spare.

Edit: That starting lineup is only costing us 40 million which is actually pretty good. If the Hawks would take 2 first and Rush for Josh then I do it in a heart beat.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-02-2011 at 10:09 AM.

Brains of the Operation.

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    My master plan to take over the world:

Step 1: Add Pritchard and give him a phone.

Step 2: Roy+Tyler for Smith. They cut costs, get a real 5, move Al Horford to 4, and get a backup, so seems to make sense for them.
    We get the best PF realistically available to us.

Step 3: Then call Utah and get Al Jefferson's deal for DC, Rush and salary relief.
    Perfect? No. Better than Hibbert and most bigs in this league? Sure, imo. And J-Smith complements him perfectly

Step 4: OJ Mayo for a future pick (+S&T McBob if they even really want him).

Step 5: Draft Fredette and hope he's ok! Or sign Andre Miller or Aaron Brooks, if available / we have any cap left.
    Personally, would prefer Andre with this roster for a few years, but he's on partially guaranteed deal for next year.

Step 6: the bench. Resign Dun (3 years, 10 mil deal? probably would take a bit more) to be a veteran 4th wing.
    Use midlevel on Carl Landry or Dalembert or whoever will be the best available backup big.

Mayo-Danny-Smith-Al with a decent point guard. George, Dun and Dalembert as backup guys.

Profit!

Oh my.......

Quote Originally Posted by wintermute View Post
    The guy you quoted said he was a top 5, top 10 PF - I'd agree with top 10 PF. I have Horford as the Hawks' best player, with Josh Smith 2nd best and Joe Johnson 3rd. I'd say Joe is Granger level talent, with Smith a step above.

There's no doubt that Smith is extremely talented, but I don't think he's playing up to his potential. In particular, his immaturity, shot selection, and lack of focus really hurts his team. Just check his game logs to see how up and down his play could be.

He's a top defender in the league though. And his athleticism can be difficult for some teams to handle (i.e. Pacers). In the Hawks' 3 wins against us this season, Josh Smith is averaging 24.3 pts 8.3 reb 4.0 ast 3.3 blk on 51% shooting. That's some monster numbers there.

No idea whether the Hawks plan to move him or not, but if they do I think he's worth the gamble.
    Sorry I missed the PF quote. There is no way he is the 2nd best player on the team. At best he is 4th. 3rd would be a severe stretch and 2nd is just not looking at the roster. He is not even in the same ballpark as Horford. I would trade any 2 players they wanted for him. Johnson is way better (so is Granger), and Crawford is better. Heck, I know Hinrich isnt better than Smith but I would much rather have him because he adds what we need.

I dont get the infatuation this board has for a very mediocre player. He is average and way overpaid. He is so good that he wasnt even in the game last night night at crunch time. Which shows he is not that good, he is just paid good.

Why is money a problem here. Next year we could be looking at almost 30 million in cap space... whats the point in not spending any of it on an elite talent? Smith is the perfect fit for us with his explosive defense and high efficiency offense (I know his shooting is spotty at times but he still shots around 50% consistently)

Taking on Smith and maybe 1 other player would be completely doable within our salary limitations next year...

Sorry I missed the PF quote. There is no way he is the 2nd best player on the team. At best he is 4th. 3rd would be a severe stretch and 2nd is just not looking at the roster. He is not even in the same ballpark as Horford. I would trade any 2 players they wanted for him. Johnson is way better (so is Granger), and Crawford is better. Heck, I know Hinrich isnt better than Smith but I would much rather have him because he adds what we need.

I dont get the infatuation this board has for a very mediocre player. He is average and way overpaid. He is so good that he wasnt even in the game last night night at crunch time. Which shows he is not that good, he is just paid good.
    Are you kidding me?

2009- 16/9/4 + 2steals 2blocks (51% FG)
    2008- 16/7/3 + 1.5steals 1.5blocks (50% FG)
    2007- 17/8/3 + 1.5steals 3blocks (46% FG)

In his 5 years as a full time starter, Smith has had 8+ rebounds and 2+ blocks in 4 of them.

Youngest player EVER to reach 500 blocks (21)
    Youngest player EVER to reach 1000 blocks (24)
    All-Defensive 2nd Team (2010)

And on top of all of this, THE GUY IS 25 YEARS OLD

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Jrod Jones For This Useful Post:

id say get mayo and smith, and trade Granger and have PG move to the SF

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Smith should be miles ahead of Tyler in his development.
    He is.

I do want Smith, but no to Mayo. A Mayo and Collison backcourt would be a lot of pressure on the the bigs, although it could mean a career high in blocks for Smith.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    I do want Smith, but no to Mayo. A Mayo and Collison backcourt would be a lot of pressure on the the bigs, although it could mean a career high in blocks for Smith.
    Yeah I'm still not sure why so many people have their hearts set on OJ Mayo. Maybe it's because they know he is available for cheap?

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod Jones View Post
    Are you kidding me?

2009- 16/9/4 + 2steals 2blocks (51% FG)
    2008- 16/7/3 + 1.5steals 1.5blocks (50% FG)
    2007- 17/8/3 + 1.5steals 3blocks (46% FG)

In his 5 years as a full time starter, Smith has had 8+ rebounds and 2+ blocks in 4 of them.

Youngest player EVER to reach 500 blocks (21)
    Youngest player EVER to reach 1000 blocks (24)
    All-Defensive 2nd Team (2010)

And on top of all of this, THE GUY IS 25 YEARS OLD
    All of this for a guy who is not good enough to get off the bench during crunch time against a contender.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Yeah I'm still not sure why so many people have their hearts set on OJ Mayo. Maybe it's because they know he is available for cheap?
    they want him cause he is a beast. Don't say he is a bust cause he isn't. Rudy Gay is the star of the team and thats why his stats dont look good

Quote Originally Posted by itzryan07 View Post
    they want him cause he is a beast. Don't say he is a bust cause he isn't. Rudy Gay is the star of the team and thats why his stats dont look good
    Such a beast that he doesn't even start over Tony Allen (who I really, really like actually).

All of this for a guy who is not good enough to get off the bench during crunch time against a contender.
    Oh for crying out loud. Are you a Tyler/UNC fan or are you a Pacers fan? If it's the former I'll stop wasting my time arguing with you.

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post: