Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Smith Availability

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think he is the banger, garbage man Roy needs next to him, he is an undersize power forward that can dunk and do a lot of things, this year he is getting 16.8 and 8, call me crazy but I could see Tyler getting close to that, maybe 14 and 7, and with Josh getting like 9 and 7.
    He's not undersized. He's got plenty of size, length, and athleticism. I noticed you left out other stats there, you know, the ones that Tyler doesn't get but Smith does. Blocks (a lot of them), steals, and assists. More efficient. A rim protector...not sure what there is not to like with Smith at PF, besides maybe his mercurial attitude.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    He's not undersized. He's got plenty of size, length, and athleticism. I noticed you left out other stats there, you know, the ones that Tyler doesn't get but Smith does. Blocks (a lot of them), steals, and assists. More efficient. A rim protector...not sure what there is not to like with Smith at PF, besides maybe his mercurial attitude.
    "Mercurial attitude" = is that slang for an idiot?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    Anyone who can count can see this. Tyler = 15.8/7 Smith = 16.8/8.7
    You want to spend 10 million more for 1 point and 1 rebound per game? And we are using Tyler's second year versus Smith's all-time best! Smith is a very mediocre PF. Adds nothing to the team but millions of $$$ and 1 point and 1 rebound per game.
    You're ignoring that Smith will have more blocks, steals, and assists in one month than Tyler will have all year. He doesn't miss rotations like Tyler either. As much stock as we put in Tyler drawing fouls, Smith does the same.

This isn't even close. Smith is the real deal and Tyler would be best coming off the bench.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Don't get me wrong I like the guy but just like Zbo,Al and another bunch of power forwards I don't think he fits with Hibbert, I also don't see PF as our weakness, to me priority number 1 is point guard and priority number 2 is getting a guard that can create his own shot.

"Mercurial attitude" = is that slang for an idiot?
    Not an idiot, but he's definitely got some diva in him. Maybe he needs a Snickers bar.

Banned

By the way JS is playing on ESPN right now.

Don't get me wrong I like the guy but just like Zbo,Al and another bunch of power forwards I don't think he fits with Hibbert, I also don't see PF as our weakness, to me priority number 1 is point guard and priority number 2 is getting a guard that can create his own shot.
    Power forward may not be a "weakness" per se, but it can be improved, and Josh Smith would be a big improvement. I just don't see how he doesn't fit with Hibbert. You want an athletic guy who blocks shots and plays solid defense next to Roy. Someone who won't clog the lane and can hit a midrange shot. That's Josh Smith.

I would be happy with either AL Jefferson or Josh Smith. IF we could get both then great but I don't want to break the bank to get both of them. I think we should have a shot at either one but its going to have to be a sweet deal. IF we could do Tyler for Josh and a second round pick then I think the Hawks would consider it.

Likewise I think AL could be had with multiple picks and or Rush or Tyler. I don't mind having a perfect fit because we could do a lot of damage with Hibby and AL. Think Lakers with Pau Gasol and Bynum. The key is too use the cap space so we get the most bang for buck.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Smith is a 4. No questions. To put it in terms that vnzla can understand .... Saying Smith is a 3 is like saying Dunleavy is a star defender.

He's not overpaid at all. Are some of you watching the same NBA as me? Id trade Granger for him and jump around on my bed cheering for an hour like a kid.
    I agree 100%.

There's no question Smith is a 4. Yes he's 6-9 (like Tyler), but he's able to contain opposing big men with his solid defense. He was a strong candidate for defensive player of the year last season and/or the season before.

His offense is something dangerous for opponents.

I'd love to get the Atlanta's key player that always kills us in pretty much every matchup against them.

Give them Danny, a few other pieces for Smith.

Josh Smith is really the #1 big man I want and I want us to be active and go out and try and get him.
    Last edited by Trophy; 04-01-2011 at 09:34 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Anyone who can count can see this. Tyler = 15.8/7 Smith = 16.8/8.7
    You want to spend 10 million more for 1 point and 1 rebound per game? And we are using Tyler's second year versus Smith's all-time best! Smith is a very mediocre PF. Adds nothing to the team but millions of $$$ and 1 point and 1 rebound per game.
    Take it a step further, KG in his title year = 18.8/9.2 at 10 more million than Josh Smith. Basically, 3 points, 2 rebounds for 20 mil more than Tyler.
    Yuck!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to ballism For This Useful Post:

Thats why I think we should just get either Smith or Jefferson but not both. IF we could get Mayo for our first then Smith or Jefferson then problem solved. I think you are over thinking the perfect fit next to Hibbert.

Twitter @M_Murph11 PacerPride33's Avatar

Posey+Rush+McBob sign and trade to give them a 4 back and this years first
    Murph

You're ignoring that Smith will have more blocks, steals, and assists in one month than Tyler will have all year. He doesn't miss rotations like Tyler either. As much stock as we put in Tyler drawing fouls, Smith does the same.

This isn't even close. Smith is the real deal and Tyler would be best coming off the bench.
    Hey I am all for upgrading every position. But why sink millions into your best position right now when the other 4 basically suck. An analogy that makes sense would be to ask why would the Colts invest millions in Drew Brees to be Peyton's back up? I know the football players here are way better than the BB players but the point is similar. There are 5 positions on the court at one time. 4 are terrible, and 1 is holding their own. I would simply improve the ones that suck the most first. No pg, No sg, Center is soft, and SF is only good when he feels like playing. Smith is not bad. But we have much more glaring weaknesses that cannot be filled if Smith is added.

I would love to get Smith as I mentioned in another thread. Not sure we have the pieces that Atlanta would want. They want a C to move Horford to the 4, so it would take Hibbert. We only want Smith to put next to Hibbert.

Don't think we'll get Smith. And Smith is a hell of a lot better than tunnel vision Hans.
    Lance + Starting SG = Awesome

Now really free Lance!

If we get Smith then our concern would be who plays best along side him. Smith not Roy would be the cornerstone but I don't see a problem and expect they would adjust to each other. Josh's mobility would help when roy is double-teamed. Josh is just so much more mobile than Tyler. Right now we have two less than optimal athletes starting in the frontcourt.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to speakout4 For This Useful Post:

Hey I am all for upgrading every position. But why sink millions into your best position right now when the other 4 basically suck. An analogy that makes sense would be to ask why would the Colts invest millions in Drew Brees to be Peyton's back up? I know the football players here are way better than the BB players but the point is similar. There are 5 positions on the court at one time. 4 are terrible, and 1 is holding their own. I would simply improve the ones that suck the most first. No pg, No sg, Center is soft, and SF is only good when he feels like playing. Smith is not bad. But we have much more glaring weaknesses that cannot be filled if Smith is added.
    You're putting too much stock in 1 good month from Tyler. You realizing you're comparing a single month to a guy who's been doing it for years. Not only that, but they're the same age. Tyler could win 6th man awards while Josh is making All NBA defensive teams in his prime.

Everyone on this team has had their ups and downs. Why you're singling out Tyler as amazing and everyone as terrible I have no clue. Are you a UNC fan who migrated here or something?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Thats why I think we should just get either Smith or Jefferson but not both. IF we could get Mayo for our first then Smith or Jefferson then problem solved. I think you are over thinking the perfect fit next to Hibbert.
    Is not over thinking, every team needs to do this, there is a reason why Minny didn't want to play Al and Love together and now Utah is finding out that the Al/Millsap front court is not that good, to me guys that complement Hibbert don't cost a lot of money.

Is not over thinking, every team needs to do this, there is a reason why Minny didn't want to play Al and Love together and now Utah is finding out that the Al/Millsap front court is not that good, to me guys that complement Hibbert don't cost a lot of money.
    Utahs issues are not because of Al and Milsap (who is having a break out year). They lost a great coach and a top 3 pg in the league. So you think Kahn made a smart move by trading AL?????

I am missing why Hibbert/Tyler is better than Hibbert/Smith. What exactly does Tyler do to help Roy or is it that Tyler not proximal to Roy that makes it work.

I don't think that we have yet found the right PF/C combo and I like both Roy and Tyler.

You're putting too much stock in 1 good month from Tyler. You realizing you're comparing a single month to a guy who's been doing it for years. Not only that, but they're the same age. Tyler could win 6th man awards while Josh is making All NBA defensive teams in his prime.

Everyone on this team has had their ups and downs. Why you're singling out Tyler as amazing and everyone as terrible I have no clue. Are you a UNC fan who migrated here or something?
    I simply watch a team that has exactly one guy that plays hard each night and he is the one everyone wants to bench or move out. I love watching Tyler because of his passion. And as for years, Smith is in his third. I just cant understand the reasoning behind bringing him in when he is no better than the guy we have.

Banned

We'll be one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA because we swapped an innefficient 20 ppg scorer who rarely plays defense for a guy who scores 17 ppg more efficiently while being in the top 10 in the league in steals and also makes people think twice about going to the rim as one of the leagues 5 best shot blockers?

What are you smoking?
    Granger's a more efficient scorer than Josh Smith and has been every single season of his career. Other than that, I'd agree that Smith is clearly the more complete player and probably would fill a bigger need for the team, especially if George is as good as many expect him to be.

I simply watch a team that has exactly one guy that plays hard each night and he is the one everyone wants to bench or move out. I love watching Tyler because of his passion. And as for years, Smith is in his third. I just cant understand the reasoning behind bringing him in when he is no better than the guy we have.
    No one is wanting to bench Tyler or move him out. If you put Tyler on the bench in a sixth man role, I really think that he will a) still get minutes and b) could be a sixth man of the year type of guy, and a huge boon to our second unit. Once again, Smith is absolutely better than Tyler, make no mistake about it...and I love Tyler.

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I simply watch a team that has exactly one guy that plays hard each night and he is the one everyone wants to bench or move out. I love watching Tyler because of his passion. [b]And as for years, Smith is in his third[b/]. I just cant understand the reasoning behind bringing him in when he is no better than the guy we have.
    Just for the info, Smith is in his 7 season. It's not hard to look up.
    "Just look at the flowers ........ BANG"

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hoop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hoop View Post
    Just for the info, Smith is in his 7 season. It's not hard to look up.
    That's crazy to me that he and Tyler are the same age though. So weird.

I'm a little reluctant to trade Roy to get Josh Smith because getting rid of Roy isn't going to do much for us because Smith needs a center to play with.

I would, however trade Danny for Smith straight up or throw in a future 1st round pick or 2 if needed.