Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Josh Smith Availability

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Josh Smith Availability

With the current roster of the Hawks so far failing to reach the upper echelon of the Eastern Conference -- and with their play being uneven throughout this season -- there's been some rumblings roster changes could suit them best heading forward.

And in his chat Friday, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher wrote about how it could happen.

"I'm told the Hawks will make major changes before the next time we play if they don't make at least a strong second-round showing this year in the playoffs," he wrote.

While Bucher doesn't get into specifics, there's been the suggestion that Josh Smith could be a trade chip, as he has some value around the league and could potentially bring back multiple parts.

Joe Johnson's massive contract would likely make him a tough trade, while Al Horford's recent contract extension this season makes him a candidate to remain with the team if major changes do occur.
    Interest anyone... a little Josh Smith could go a long way...

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Mood

Sports Logo

Default Re: Josh Smith Availability

I'd love to have Josh Smith with the team. He'd add a few facets that we don't have in others in the PF rotation.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:

I have long said that Josh Smith is the prototype PF that you would want next to Roy Hibbert. Again, probably in the minority, I would trade Granger for him.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

My only problem with Smith is his contract.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Eleazar For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    I have long said that Josh Smith is the prototype PF that you would want next to Roy Hibbert. Again, probably in the minority, I would trade Granger for him.
    I think the Hawks would want to cut some salary so unless a third team is involved then I can't see a Granger for Hawks trade.

I would give two first round picks and pick between Rush or Djones. I would also do a 1 st and a Hans for him but I know that would set off a fire storm here at PD.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    My only problem with Smith is his contract.
    A two year contract for his talents isn't bad at all IMO.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-01-2011 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    I think the Hawks would want to cut some salary so unless a third team is involved then I can't see a Granger for Hawks trade.

I would give two first round picks and pick between Rush or Djones. I would also do a 1 st and a Hans for him but I know that would set off a fire storm here at PD.
    I really don't think two first round picks and Rush/Dahntay would get the job done. If they want to cut salary and don't want Granger then I'd be willing to deal Hansbrough (gasp!), a 1st round pick (or two, heavily protected), and Rush/Dahntay. Who knows what the Hawks are looking for though. It's the Hawks.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

I really don't think two first round picks and Rush/Dahntay would get the job done. If they want to cut salary and don't want Granger then I'd be willing to deal Hansbrough (gasp!), a 1st round pick (or two, heavily protected), and Rush/Dahntay. Who knows what the Hawks are looking for though. It's the Hawks.
    I think they have to cut salary. I mean next year they have 65 million dedicated to 7 players. They need a wing off the bench to replace Crawford and they would need a pf to replace Smith if he is dealt.
    Last edited by Gamble1; 04-01-2011 at 07:48 PM.

My master plan to take over the world:

Step 1: Add Pritchard and give him a phone.

Step 2: Roy+Tyler for Smith. They cut costs, get a real 5, move Al Horford to 4, and get a backup, so seems to make sense for them.
    We get the best PF realistically available to us.

Step 3: Then call Utah and get Al Jefferson's deal for DC, Rush and salary relief.
    Perfect? No. Better than Hibbert and most bigs in this league? Sure, imo. And J-Smith complements him perfectly

Step 4: OJ Mayo for a future pick (+S&T McBob if they even really want him).

Step 5: Draft Fredette and hope he's ok! Or sign Andre Miller or Aaron Brooks, if available / we have any cap left.
    Personally, would prefer Andre with this roster for a few years, but he's on partially guaranteed deal for next year.

Step 6: the bench. Resign Dun (3 years, 10 mil deal? probably would take a bit more) to be a veteran 4th wing.
    Use midlevel on Carl Landry or Dalembert or whoever will be the best available backup big.

Mayo-Danny-Smith-Al with a decent point guard. George, Dun and Dalembert as backup guys.

Profit!
    Last edited by ballism; 04-01-2011 at 09:37 PM.

Problem is what it would take to get him.

He certainly intrigues me though. He's a fantastic player who would really help us defend against better 3's and 4's.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

Banned

The Hawks need to realize that he is a 3 and not a 4 and I like him but I don't think he is the type of guy you need next to Hibbert.

Now if we are talking about getting him and then signing Tyson Chandler?

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Whaaaa..? Josh Smith is the P-E-R-F-E-C-T fit next to Hibbert.
    Last edited by BringJackBack; 04-01-2011 at 08:39 PM.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    The Hawks need to realize that he is a 3 and not a 4 and I like him but I don't think he is the type of guy you need next to Hibbert.

Now if we are talking about getting him and then signing Tyson Chandler?
    Have you seen Josh Smith shoot jump shots? You want him playing as close to the basket as possible. You play him at the 3 and he is going to chuck up a ton of ill-advised shots.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Smith is a 4. No questions. To put it in terms that vnzla can understand .... Saying Smith is a 3 is like saying Dunleavy is a star defender.

He's not overpaid at all. Are some of you watching the same NBA as me? Id trade Granger for him and jump around on my bed cheering for an hour like a kid.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Smith is a 4. No questions. To put it in terms that vnzla can understand .... Saying Smith is a 3 is like saying Dunleavy is a star defender.

He's not overpaid at all. Are some of you watching the same NBA as me? Id trade Granger for him and jump around on my bed cheering for an hour like a kid.
    That's a great idea - replace the two best players on the team with an average PF. If you want the Pacers to be a definite lottery team, make that deal. Maybe we can hit the lottery because we would be assured of a top 5 pick next year after that trade.

Quote Originally Posted by troyc11a View Post
    That's a great idea - replace the two best players on the team with an average PF. If you want the Pacers to be a definite lottery team, make that deal. Maybe we can hit the lottery because we would be assured of a top 5 pick next year after that trade.
    I'm confused. Replacing two players? Who else are you replacing?

Oh, and Josh Smith is much better than an average PF.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ballism View Post
    My master plan to take over the world:

Step 1: Add Pritchard and give him a phone.

Step 2: Roy+Tyler for Smith. They cut costs, get a real 5, move Al Horford to 4, and get a backup, so seems to make sense for them.
    We get the best PF realistically available to us.

Step 3: Then call Utah and get Al Jefferson's deal for DC, Rush and salary relief.
    Perfect? No. Better than Hibbert and most bigs in this league? Sure, imo. And J-Smith complements him perfectly

Step 4: OJ Mayo for a future pick (+S&T McBob if they even really want him).

Step 5: Draft Fredette and hope he's ok! Or sign Andre Miller or Aaron Brooks, if available / we have any cap left.
    Personally, would prefer Andre with this roster for a few years, but he's on partially guaranteed deel for next year.

Step 6: the bench. Resign Dun (3 years, 10 mil deal? probably would take a bit more) to be a veteran 4th wing.
    Use midlevel on Carl Landry or Dalembert or whoever will be the best available backup big.

Mayo-Danny-Smith-Al with a decent point guard. George, Dun and Dalembert as backup guys.

Profit!
    Step 2: Only trade Hibby for Smith.

Step 3: Get AL for 2 first round picks and Rush

Stop there....

Edit: I am not sure how much we can trade for and give the other team cap relief. I think you are going over....

I'm confused. Replacing two players? Who else are you replacing?

Oh, and Josh Smith is much better than an average PF.
    The last month of the season Tyler has put up the same numbers as Josh Smith has at his best! Why would you send Granger away for Josh Smith when Tyler is already every bit as good as he is? You would be basically cutting Granger and getting nothing in return.

The last month of the season Tyler has put up the same numbers as Josh Smith has at his best! Why would you send Granger away for Josh Smith when Tyler is already every bit as good as he is? You would be basically cutting Granger and getting nothing in return.
    Not really sure I follow your logic here. First off, Tyler would still be here and come off the bench and log nice minutes, so you aren't losing him. Second, I love Tyler, but Josh Smith is a much better player and, more importantly, he is a much, much better defender. With dealing Granger, the hope is that Paul George can slide over to the 3 (the position I think he ends up playing long term) and replace some of what you are losing with Danny.

Numbers are nice, but as Troy Murphy showed us...they don't mean everything. Smith's impact on both ends of the court is greater than Tyler's.

27. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cdash For This Useful Post:

We'll be one of the 5 worst teams in the NBA because we swapped an innefficient 20 ppg scorer who rarely plays defense for a guy who scores 17 ppg more efficiently while being in the top 10 in the league in steals and also makes people think twice about going to the rim as one of the leagues 5 best shot blockers?

What are you smoking?

29. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Tyler as good as Josh Smith? Are you kidding me?

31. The Following User Says Thank You to xBulletproof For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    Step 2: Only trade Hibby for Smith.

Step 3: Get AL for 2 first round picks and Rush

Stop there....

Edit: I am not sure how much we can trade for and give the other team cap relief. I think you are going over....
    Step #1 = I like Pritchard! He is aggressive and will shake things up!
    Step #2 = Have to bail on this one. Giving away Hibbert for a player who is not any better than the PF we currently have would not be a good idea (IMHO). Tyler has been as productive as Smith since he has been a starter. Smith is not that good.
    Step #3 = Not sure on this one either. AJ is an upgrade offensively but Im not sure I would trust a fat guy with a big contract. He is better than Roy though. I guess I'm unsure about this one.
    Step#4 = That would be great!
    Step #5 = I really want to see a bigger, veteran point guard! Miller would be great if not overpriced.
    Step #6 = Dun, Jones, along with they guys you mentioned would make a strong bench!

What are the odds of all this working out? Slim to none, but it gives us something to talk about.

Banned

Have you seen Josh Smith shoot jump shots? You want him playing as close to the basket as possible. You play him at the 3 and he is going to chuck up a ton of ill-advised shots.
    I don't think he is the banger, garbage man Roy needs next to him, he is an undersize power forward that can dunk and do a lot of things, this year he is getting 16.8 and 8, call me crazy but I could see Tyler getting close to that, maybe 14 and 7, and with Josh getting like 9 and 7.

Quote Originally Posted by xBulletproof View Post
    Tyler as good as Josh Smith? Are you kidding me?
    Anyone who can count can see this. Tyler = 15.8/7 Smith = 16.8/8.7
    You want to spend 10 million more for 1 point and 1 rebound per game? And we are using Tyler's second year versus Smith's all-time best! Smith is a very mediocre PF. Adds nothing to the team but millions of $$$ and 1 point and 1 rebound per game.

Those days where the offense goes to sleep would be long gone with Smith in the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    I don't think he is the banger, garbage man Roy needs next to him, he is an undersize power forward that can dunk and do a lot of things, this year he is getting 16.8 and 8, call me crazy but I could see Tyler getting close to that, maybe 14 and 7, and with Josh getting like 9 and 7.
    I agree! Tyler has already been doing close to that the last month. Real bunch of GM's here that want to take our strongest position and raid it while doing nothing to help the other 4 positions which SUCK!