Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Detroit postgame thread

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Pacers/Detroit postgame thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like McRoberts' game and I'm also a little puzzled that he seems to be more underrated and underappreciated then I'd expect. If anything, I'd expect a player like him to be a fan favorite all the way around.... a mixture of the hometown boy does good along with the tag of 'potential'.

Riddle me this, why was Jonathon Bender raved about so much for being half the actual player McRoberts actually is?
    Draft position and the "Hansbrough effect."

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    Draft position and the "Hansbrough effect."
    Or could it be "the Mcbob fans" turning people off by telling us how great he is while trashing the other players and specially the one that Mcbob lost his starting spot to? :dontknow:

Quick Note: I got there with my 3.5 year old daughter and 8 month pregnant wife at 6 pm. What fun, all kinds of fun stuff for the kids, great atmosphere, games, live music at every turn. My daughter had a great time!!!

Kudos to the Pacers organization for taking a lightly attended mid week game and creating a fun atmosphere as you walk in.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Tyler and Josh are pretty interchangeable players, IMO.

Both come in with energy and are aggressive.

I have no problem with how the lineup is now. It's pretty balanced.

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    Tyler and Josh are pretty interchangeable players, IMO.

Both come in with energy and are aggressive.

I have no problem with how the lineup is now. It's pretty balanced.
    I don't think Danny and Tyler should be on the floor together as much. We need them both to be the go-to scorers when in the game.

Interesting, Vogel is actually addressing that somewhat by pulling Danny early and reinserting him earlier in the second quarter.

But starting those two doesn't work that well, in my opinion.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I don't think Danny and Tyler should be on the floor together as much. We need them both to be the go-to scorers when in the game.

Interesting, Vogel is actually addressing that somewhat by pulling Danny early and reinserting him earlier in the second quarter.

But starting those two doesn't work that well, in my opinion.
    I think the problem is that those 2 rely heavily on themselves to do a lot of scoring on the offensive end.

I prefer Roy and Tyler playing with each other and Josh and Jeff.

A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I think the problem is that those 2 rely heavily on themselves to do a lot of scoring on the offensive end.

I prefer Roy and Tyler playing with each other and Josh and Jeff.
    YES!!! Normally, when the ball goes to them, it stops and goes up.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Given our logjam at the Wing rotation...unless BRush is moved in the offseason....which I am 50/50 on....I'm not really in favor of re-signing Dunleavy.
    I am 50/50 on moving BRush in the offseason too especially in this case where Mike is retained as a backup 3. BRush will compensate Mike's weaknesses on defense and vice versa on offense... My only problem with this (and that also applies to a certain extent to the starting lineup) is that we would lack a true slasher. That's why I'd like a Mayo type of player. If he can be had for a 1st of Rush we'd have more stability and true talent at the 2 position (I mean true as an authentic 2, not a combo 2-3). Anyway I like what Mike brings to the floor but you have to pair him with a good defender be it Rush, George or DJones.

Play McRoberts and Price! BRushWithDeath's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    :dontknow:
    Quoted for truth.
    "I had to take her down like Chris Brown."

-Lance Stephenson

11. The Following User Says Thank You to BRushWithDeath For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Despite both teams not being very good, few things are more satisfying than beating the crap out of the Pistons.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to cinotimz For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Speed View Post
    Quick Note: I got there with my 3.5 year old daughter and 8 month pregnant wife at 6 pm. What fun, all kinds of fun stuff for the kids, great atmosphere, games, live music at every turn. My daughter had a great time!!!

Kudos to the Pacers organization for taking a lightly attended mid week game and creating a fun atmosphere as you walk in.
    You have to let me know your secrets on how you got your 8 month pregnant wife to a basketball game with a kid. Kudos to you man.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BRushWithDeath View Post
    Quoted for truth.
    ......... : talktohand:......

Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    Hey guys, just a cool experience from the game tonight. My choir (Liberty Christian School HS Choir) sang the national anthem for the game tonight, and while we were lined up on the court the players were still warming up. So i jokingly asked AJ Price to toss me the ball so I could shoot a three, and he really threw it to me! Haha so i took a quick dribble, and shot a three... and drained it! haha nothin but net. So all the players were screamin and givin me high fives, and throughout the game AJ would talk to me and when he hit a three we pointed at each other haha.

Just wanted to share this with you guys. Pretty neat experience for a crazzzy big Pacer fan like me!

Go Pacers!
    You will be able to use this story for the rest of your life - in those awkward business meetings when you are looking for something to talk about on a personal level, in one of those "tell me one truth and two lies" games, in telling your kids about meeting professional athletes. Never forget how fun and real the moment was. It's something you will never duplicate.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:

I no longer see josh and tyler as different players. I see them now as tysh.. It does not matter if one plays underpar because the other one always shows up and gives a stellar performance.

Isn't that a girls name "tysh". Gotta do better than that IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by cdash View Post
    Even when people say something nice you have to get on your soapbox and scream his praises. You act like this was an egregious statement. The guy said "probably" and didn't ever insinuate that McRoberts hadn't had other good games. Relax.

I had a post prepared, but yours was to the point in a far nicer way.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imawhat View Post
    Brandon has been rushing his shot. His stroke doesn't look that great.
    Watch him, he is fading back on almost every jumper. Brandon is spot on when he is jumping INTO is J, not falling back. Very correctable, but a bad habit.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

it was an interesting game. but it is always fun to watch game 75 of an 82 game season. the kind of half-trot half-stumble always tells you which team is just finishing the season. pistons were mailing this one in.

the one thing that struck me, pacers have to be the worst transition defense team in the league. does anyone get back slower on defense than the pacers? i know it is late in the season, but if that doesn't get picked up, pacers will be 4 and out in the playoffs.

glad to see mike back. he really looked good in the goon squad. ball movement went from super slow to really pretty good. josh, jeff and mike do a really nice job of moving the ball and getting it to the open guy.

the one josh moment that really impressed me was josh actually posting austin daye. just like a real PF. nice to see josh can do that. looking forward to more of it. always thought it was a part of his game that he needed to use more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post

Riddle me this, why was Jonathon Bender raved about so much for being half the actual player McRoberts actually is?

The "P" word. It's all you ever heard from the time he was drafted. He was hyped from day one. You heard how great he was in practices, etc. He was built up to be something great. It was constantly stated how great he was by TPTB. This is why his failure left such a bad taste with fans. That and the fact that Walsh overpaid him when he re-signed Bender for all that "P".

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    They can live with it lol

Quote Originally Posted by Gamble1 View Post
    McHansberts.

There are only like 4 posters here who are polarizing these two players. Everyone else likes them both I think.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    McHansberts.

There are only like 4 posters here who are polarizing these two players. Everyone else likes them both I think.
    Put me in this camp. I just hope we can keep Josh here next year and beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by Thingfish View Post
    McHansberts.

I do! Like someone said, one of them usually has a really good game.

I want to resign Josh and Foster, and then sign a guy that can defend the center spot and rebound. I would like that big man rotation.

First of all, "Tosh" is the correct answer.

But to the question of why Josh isn't more well liked, I can't claim to know why for anyone besides myself.

My guess is some people aren't big fans of his unique style, and perhaps for others it's some lingering bias from Josh's HS and/or college days.

For me, it's a little bit of the former, except on nights like last night when, along with his usual game, he's also attacking a bit and really eating the glass. When he does those things along with his usual game, I love him.

That aside, the pro-Josh/anti-Tyler commentary dampens my enthusiasm sometimes. But I realize that's not Josh's fault.

Lastly, on comparing the two, Tyler is clearly busting his *** to be an overachiever, and sometimes Josh comes across as an underachiever because the talent is clearly there to be quite good, and sometimes he looks like he is coasting, by the higher standards that his body/talent demands.

I think that's another reason some like Tyler better. If both are B grade power forwards, you sense that Tyler is killing himself to turn his C- natural ability into a B level guy, but with Josh it's like an A level natural ability that he has yet to consistently live up to.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Banned

It will be interesting to see what Mc Roberts gets via free agency I am guessing in the 2 - 5 million dollar range. The kid is very young (24) and would be worth 6 -8 if he had a mid range game.