Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Pacers/Detroit postgame thread

Default Re: Pacers/Detroit postgame thread

McRoberts creates space -wish they would let him take his man off the dribble more often.

Tyler has skills and he will improve, but McBob has a higher upside. Some of that upside differnece is due to skill set -McBob also has some age on his side. I know that McBob is probably gone this summer, but i really do beleive he could be the better player down the road.

Fun game to attend tonight. Great to see Josh do well. He seemed to instinctively be in the right place at the right time tonight, moving around very well.

I'm also glad to see TJ still with the team. Did I miss something? I thought the Pacers had let him go home.

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Fun game to attend tonight. Great to see Josh do well. He seemed to instinctively be in the right place at the right time tonight, moving around very well.

I'm also glad to see TJ still with the team. Did I miss something? I thought the Pacers had let him go home.
    The team never let him go. TJ just doesn't travel with the team.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Let PG Fly Again Soon! ECKrueger's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by thatch3232 View Post
    Hey guys, just a cool experience from the game tonight. My choir (Liberty Christian School HS Choir) sang the national anthem for the game tonight, and while we were lined up on the court the players were still warming up. So i jokingly asked AJ Price to toss me the ball so I could shoot a three, and he really threw it to me! Haha so i took a quick dribble, and shot a three... and drained it! haha nothin but net. So all the players were screamin and givin me high fives, and throughout the game AJ would talk to me and when he hit a three we pointed at each other haha.

Just wanted to share this with you guys. Pretty neat experience for a crazzzy big Pacer fan like me!

Go Pacers!
    Lucky, sounds awesome!

Loved watching Paul George play tonight. Was aggresive and is a really good passer. #1 thing I didn't like about starting him was that he lost all his aggression and was deferring to DC and Granger. Tonight he played with some passion and didn't just camp out.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good game, sloppy at the end, but a W is a W.

I really get tired of the Dunleavy hate, though. It's obvious he helps this team more than he hurts it. You ever see Rush with those kinds of passes? (No knock on Rush, just pointing out Dun is a plus for the team)

Hopefully big Roy is alright with that bruised knee. Have to keep winning like Sheen. Bucks and Bobcats both get W's tonight as well.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

I'm glad we took care of business for a change.

I'll chime in about Josh's great game and how DC looked like early season DC tonight.

Tyler had a Roy-like assist early in the game tonight. Baby steps.

Paul obviously seemed to pick it up a bit tonight, but he really needs to think like a killer when he attacks the basket. He should be able to dunk on folks.

Mike was a noticeable addition tonight. He really does help with knowing where to be, when to be there, and what to do at any given moment. Is he perfect at it? No, but that was never the point. He makes a positive difference.

Speaking of Mike, a like him a LOT better as a backup 3 instead of a starting 2. Much, much more preferable situation. If the idea moving forward is to keep him as Danny's backup, I'd welcome re-signng him. Just please no more starting and no more time at the 2.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by pwee31 View Post
    Really wish the Bobcats would have lost tonight. Friday is super important! We play the Bucks, and the Bobcats play at Orlando.

A win puts us up 4 on the Bucks with 5 to play and we have the tiebreaker. A win and loss by the Bobcats puts us up 2 on them with 5 to play and a tiebreaker over them as well.

A loss and Bucks are only down 2 with the tiebreaker over us. Bobcats win and we're tied... with tiebreaker, loss and Bobcats loss and still up a game.

nail biting
    Teams are never actually tied in the standings unless they have the exact same record. (I.E., having played the same amount of games) The games behind column isn't what you look at at this time of year, the lost column is. If Charlotte wins and we lose we will at that point have one more loss than Charlotte with four to play.

Record if we lose and Charlotte and Milwaukee both win Friday.
    TEAM...........RECORD...GB
    Charlotte......33-42......--.....with 7 to play
    Indiana.........34-43.....--......with 5 to play.
    Milwaukee.....31-44.....2.......with 7 to play

If the above happens then we will have put ourselves in the position of someone else having to beat Charlotte for us. If they win those extra two games, that puts us a game behind them, and if it stays that way . . . we're in the lottery.

The tiebeaker is only good if we have the same record.
    Last edited by Will Galen; 03-31-2011 at 01:47 AM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Great game. I will say it for everyone, I was WRONG. I think Mike should remain in the 2nd unit. Him and Jeff's chemistry is solid and moves the offense beautifully which is exactly what the 2nd unit needed. <3 you Mike.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Naptown_Seth View Post

Win vs Chicago 20/8/0 with 2 blocks and 1 assist on 8 of 11 and all anyone noticed was him getting dunked on, which was not too bad IMO since he actually challenged the shot rather than hiding like a punk.
    The Pacers lost that game...unless the win is because it was the last game coached by he who should not be named.

So I agree. Good Win.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Galen View Post
    The problem is we will at that point have one more loss than Charlotte. Then we will have put ourselves in the position of someone else having to beat Charlotte for us. If it doesn't happen . . . we're in the lottery.

When you are under .500, wins are more statistically significant than losses, and we have more wins than Charlotte. It is true that if they go undefeated, they will pass us, but that doesn't worry me. We have a sample of 75 games to tell us that Charlotte tends to lose more than they win.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to binarysolo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by binarysolo View Post
    When you are under .500, wins are more statistically significant than losses, and we have more wins than Charlotte. It is true that if they go undefeated, they will pass us, but that doesn't worry me. We have a sample of 75 games to tell us that Charlotte tends to lose more than they win.
    Those 75 games? Were they all played with the knowledge that the season is on the line?

And Charlotte doesn't have to go undefeated to pass us. If they win Friday and we lose, after that all they have to do is win the extra two games to pass us. After that all they have to do is match whatever we do.

The point I've been striving to make is we don't want to fall behind in the loss column. Then we need help!

You run him out for 20-30 minutes and you are going to be glad you did most nights.
    I like McRoberts' game and I'm also a little puzzled that he seems to be more underrated and underappreciated then I'd expect. If anything, I'd expect a player like him to be a fan favorite all the way around.... a mixture of the hometown boy does good along with the tag of 'potential'.

Riddle me this, why was Jonathon Bender raved about so much for being half the actual player McRoberts actually is?
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bball View Post
    Riddle me this, why was Jonathon Bender raved about so much for being half the actual player McRoberts actually is?
    Draft position and injury excuses, I'd guess.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think that saying Bender was 1/2 the player Josh is gives Bender significantly too much credit. But then, you already knew that since we were on the same side of the fence with regards to the Bender debate.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to beast23 For This Useful Post:

Because Bender was 7'0 and took over games in the five minutes he was ever healthy per season. All things equal in health (i.e., if McBob and Bender were both healthy and Bender didn't have the knee defect), Bender would have had the better career. I'd say much better.

But, of course, he didn't. Never had the knees. So McBob did.

Womens Wrestling Champion El Pacero's Avatar

Hey guys, just a cool experience from the game tonight. My choir (Liberty Christian School HS Choir) sang the national anthem for the game tonight, and while we were lined up on the court the players were still warming up. So i jokingly asked AJ Price to toss me the ball so I could shoot a three, and he really threw it to me! Haha so i took a quick dribble, and shot a three... and drained it! haha nothin but net. So all the players were screamin and givin me high fives, and throughout the game AJ would talk to me and when he hit a three we pointed at each other haha.

Just wanted to share this with you guys. Pretty neat experience for a crazzzy big Pacer fan like me!

Go Pacers!
    Haha, this was a great story. You guys had a unique dissonant arrangement to change it up for once. Nice job and funny stuff.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to El Pacero For This Useful Post:

A Hill to get over a hill Richard_Skull's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Good game by us sans the last 8 mins. Glad Dun Dun is in the 2nd unit and I figured it was going to be at DJ expense (so did many other here).

O.T.
    I don't think we S&T McBob if we trade for Mayo, I honestly believe that Josh was just cap relief/Expiring for them and if there is a trade it would be for draft picks because we can just absorb salary. Sorry for the run-on sentence.

Go Pacers!
    Another assist for AJ. Sookie will be proud!

Great story!
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

My problem with this is that it tells me quite a bit why people underrate Josh. Short term memory.

How about 14/12/2 with 2 blocks and 1 steal on 7-15 shooting vs the Wiz.

Oh, about how about the irrelevent game vs the Lakers
    15/4/1 with 2 steals on 7 of 12 shooting

18/12/1 with a block and 2 steals on 8 of 9 vs Houston

I've got him at 8 five assist games this year, with a 6 and a 7 night in that list.

The Boston game a few weeks ago he was 14/11/3 with 1 block on 6 of 10

Win vs Chicago 20/8/0 with 2 blocks and 1 assist on 8 of 11 and all anyone noticed was him getting dunked on, which was not too bad IMO since he actually challenged the shot rather than hiding like a punk.

12/9/7 vs Charlotte gets him in range of a triple double.

He was 15/12/3 with 2 steals on 7 of 8 @ DETROIT in mid FEB. So the same kind of night against the same team.

But tonight he really showed something or maybe had his best game yet or a breakout game or whatever.

Sheesh. There is a reason I have a chip about this, it's getting old having people keep rediscovering the Josh is a pretty solid NBA player and capable of impacting games in a multitude of ways.

He doesn't have huge stats and doesn't typically walk away with double digit rebounds. But most nights you are at least going to get the assists or the rebounds or some points or a few blocks or steals. It's rare that he leaves the team empty.

You run him out for 20-30 minutes and you are going to be glad you did most nights.
    Seth, I've been with you in regards to McBob and love all the little things that he does that no one really pays attention to. I am really glad that he played the way he did tonight.....he made a lot of smart plays, was very active and all over the place and most notably his rebounding was well above average. I am glad that Vogel has decided to have McBob handle the ball more as of late. But the one thing that really "grinds my gears" is that his rebounding rate isn't as high as it should be. What I can't figure out is why his rebounding is so inconsistent....I don't know if it's because of his opponents or if it's the way that he's used.

To me, the difference in tonight's game was his rebounding and what made him stand out. Unfortunately, his rebounding isn't like this all the time. If it was.....I'd guess that there'd be more people that are as big of a fan of McBob as you are.

Believe me, I LOVE all the things that he does that he does ( most notably his great passing )....but his inconsistent rebounding is the only knock on his game that I don't like.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-31-2011 at 02:57 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    Speaking of Mike, a like him a LOT better as a backup 3 instead of a starting 2. Much, much more preferable situation. If the idea moving forward is to keep him as Danny's backup, I'd welcome re-signng him. Just please no more starting and no more time at the 2.
    This....+10000 when it comes to keeping Dunleavy at the backup 3 spot.

Given our logjam at the Wing rotation...unless BRush is moved in the offseason....which I am 50/50 on....I'm not really in favor of re-signing Dunleavy.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post
    Good game by us sans the last 8 mins. Glad Dun Dun is in the 2nd unit and I figured it was going to be at DJ expense (so did many other here).

O.T.
    I don't think we S&T McBob if we trade for Mayo, I honestly believe that Josh was just cap relief/Expiring for them and if there is a trade it would be for draft picks because we can just absorb salary. Sorry for the run-on sentence.
    Josh doesn't make enough money to much matter. They said they needed another big man.

That was easily Josh's best career game, imo. It just so happens that his stats were also good tonight, but the passing, initiating offense, setting timely picks, hustle, offensive boards and defense were all on overdrive tonight. It was a very impressive game from him; probably one of the more overall solid games by a Pacer all season.

It's been great to finally see some ball movement again. I felt better about this win than any of the wins this month.

Collison has looked a lot better in the past couple games; so has Roy.

Mike looks like he put on a little weight.

Brandon has been rushing his shot. His stroke doesn't look that great.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Richard_Skull View Post

O.T.
    Josh wasnt cap relif they needed another big luckly the cavs cut Leon Poe and he signed with the Grizz just a few days after the trade deadline

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Seth, I've been with you in regards to McBob and love all the little things that he does that no one really pays attention to. I am really glad that he played the way he did tonight.....he made a lot of smart plays, was very active and all over the place and most notably his rebounding was well above average. I am glad that Vogel has decided to have McBob handle the ball more as of late. But the one thing that really "grinds my gears" is that his rebounding rate isn't as high as it should be. What I can't figure out is why his rebounding is so inconsistent....I don't know if it's because of his opponents or if it's the way that he's used.

To me, the difference in tonight's game was his rebounding and what made him stand out. Unfortunately, his rebounding isn't like this all the time. If it was.....I'd guess that there'd be more people that are as big of a fan of McBob as you are.

Believe me, I LOVE all the things that he does that he does ( most notably his great passing )....but his inconsistent rebounding is the only knock on his game that I don't like.

I completely agree, QFT.