Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BDL: Paul Pierce is still pretty sure Indiana wants his used gum

Default BDL: Paul Pierce is still pretty sure Indiana wants his used gum

Well it doesn't look as bad as last time but if he threw it at the wrong person he deserves to be beat down

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/blog/bal...pphu-container
    Video: Paul Pierce is still pretty sure Indiana wants his used gum
    By Dan Devine
    On December 28, 2010, Boston Celtics captain Paul Pierce(notes) got called for what he felt was a questionable foul during the first quarter of a game against the Indiana Pacers. After C's coach Doc Rivers called Pierce back to the bench, the star forward decided to take the gum out of his mouth and toss it into the stands.

The unsanctioned disposal earned "The Truth" a $15,000 fine because, as ESPN Boston's Chris Forsberg reported, "According to someone in the stands, it appeared Pierce threw the gum directly at a fan." It didn't appear quite so malicious on television, but even if the decision to just chuck the gum into the crowd was a relatively benign brainfart that wasn't indicative of boiling rage, simmering frustration or even lukewarm bitterness, it was still weird.

So it was kind of surprising to see Pierce do something similarly tacky on Monday night.

Three months to the day after Pierce's first offense, the Celtics once again met the Pacers at Conseco Fieldhouse (eventually losing to Indiana by a 107-100 mark). Once again, the Celtics were called for a questionable first-quarter foul (this time, Kevin Garnett(notes) was the guilty party). And, as you can see in the clip above, once again, Pierce (who finished with 23 points on 8-13 shooting) punctuates his argument with the officials by removing the gum from his mouth and wingin' it toward the sideline.

Listen, people who can afford courtside seats to Pacers games can afford their own gum, Paul Pierce. They can even afford the kind of fancy-schmancy gum that gets under the skin of bros who post on Fender guitar message boards. (Yeah -- they're doing that well.) They don't want your flavorless hand-me-down celebrity gum. And even if they did, they'd rather have gum that was chewed by hometown heroes like Tyler Hansbrough(notes) or Josh McRoberts(notes). Now they've got saliva you can set your watch to!

Beyond that, there's one basic point that I fear you are missing, Paul Pierce: While having a piece/stick of gum is great, having other people's chewed gum flicked in your direction is super gross! Setting aside the fact that you lost $15,000 the last time you did this -- which, granted, isn't a huge amount of money to a dude who's made something like $137 million in salary over the past 12-plus years, but is still a remarkable figure to pay OVER A PIECE OF GUM -- it is really not a nice thing to do! Captains lead by example, Paul. Not by taking things out of their mouths and throwing them around all willy-nilly.

Given the apparent trajectory of Pierce's toss, it seems unlikely that the gum went into the stands this time, so you wouldn't figure that Pierce will face any fiscal repercussions from his repeat gumfense. Still, though, it would probably be a good idea for him to stop doing this, if for no other reason than if one of his teammates steps in gum on the way to the scorer's table, he'll know exactly who to blame.

Video courtesy of the lovely and talented MrTripleDouble10.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Default Re: BDL: Paul Pierce is still pretty sure Indiana wants his used gum

Didn't know Paul Pierce got fined for tossing his gum the last time the Celtics visited. I did see him do it again in the Celtics' most recent matchup against the Pacers and wondered what happens if a player got gum stuck on his shoe? Guess he'd have to wait until the next time out to go change his shoes if he brought another pair with him.

That aside, I wonder if Pierce will be fined again for doing the same thing twice?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really makes me wish I had been sitting in the line of fire of the gum so I could throw it back at him and embarrass him in front of an arena full of people... (Then get arrested and elevated to martyr status )

5. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TMJ31 For This Useful Post:

I'm happy we are pissing him off enough to pull this kind of stuff. Maybe next time he will rush the stands and try to fight Area 55? We can only hope.

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to redfoster For This Useful Post:

I guess Pierce wants a rivalry between us and them.

He's caused some havoc at the Fieldhouse a few times. Between throwing gum at people to slamming Danny's face to the floor making him lose his teeth.

How anyone doesn't love this guy is beyond me:

I can't understand how anyone could be a Paul Pierce fan. He puts LeBron's whining to shame. Such a tool.

I always think of Paul Pierce on those Celtics teams the Pacers would own and imagine he sent a hologram to Minnesota saying "save me, KG, you're my only hope!"

11. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

I guess I will always like Paul Pierce because he's the first (and among the very few since) player I saw in college and thought would be a star in the NBA. As for the whining, can you blame him? He was taught by one of the best in the game:

While I can take no credit for being the one to initially call him this (can't remember who it was .........), I'll bring it back up again.

Paul Pierce is a chode.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Yes I can blame him because just because you play with a whiner doesn't mean you have to be one. Pierce gets more and more annoying each year. He is a good player, but never has been in that upper echelon of the NBA like he thinks he is. Three years ago I was rooting for the Celtics to beat the Lakers in the championship, but now, I'd rather see any other team win because of how annoying the Celtics have become. Outside of Ray Allen, I just don't like them. Paul Pierce being a big baby is a big reason why.

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Paul needs his wheelchair.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ilive4sports View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes I can blame him because just because you play with a whiner doesn't mean you have to be one. Pierce gets more and more annoying each year. He is a good player, but never has been in that upper echelon of the NBA like he thinks he is. Three years ago I was rooting for the Celtics to beat the Lakers in the championship, but now, I'd rather see any other team win because of how annoying the Celtics have become. Outside of Ray Allen, I just don't like them. Paul Pierce being a big baby is a big reason why.
    I only like Ray, JO and Shaq. The rest are dbags to me.

Then you have all these bandwagon loser fans. I bet they were fans before KG..... Get the hell out of the Fieldhouse.
    Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Helmet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by redfoster View Post
    I'm happy we are pissing him off enough to pull this kind of stuff. Maybe next time he will rush the stands and try to fight Area 55? We can only hope.

I doubt Area 55 allows wheelchair access.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Basketball Fan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helmet View Post
    I only like Ray, JO and Shaq. The rest are dbags to me.

Then you have all these bandwagon loser fans. I bet they were fans before KG..... Get the hell out of the Fieldhouse.
    That's the thing...the bandwagon fans. I was lucky enough to get row 5 floor tix the last time the Celts visited the Fieldhouse and wow...the ignorance of a bandwagon fan. It's not exclusive to the Celtics, of course, but those bandwagon fans of big-market cities tend to be the worst. I was trying to be friendly with some and just talk basketball and THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THEIR TEAM! I should never know more about another fan's team than they do. Sigh.

Sometimes I don't think these people are bandwagon fans so much as anti-hometown fans. They just want to be douches and root against the hometown team. Case in point, these Celts fans were just trying to taunt Pacers fans and pick fights the entire time. One of them tried to pick a fight with my friend's 14-year-old brother. Seriously.

(Although to be fair, the kid told him to "shut the f--k up and sit down" after he got fed up with the douche taunting Pacers fans.)

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post

I guess Pierce wants a rivalry between us and them.

He's caused some havoc at the Fieldhouse a few times. Between throwing gum at people to slamming Danny's face to the floor making him lose his teeth.
    He sees how much fun the Colts/Pats have and wants the basketball relatives to experience the same

Speaking of bandwagon fans, I'm currently sitting in a restaurant listening to a "Butler fan" who doesn't even know who they're playing in the FF.

"If they win, they're in the championship, right?"

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

As for PP (which also stands for "pee pants"), with this being his second offense, he should be suspended.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Shade For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    Speaking of bandwagon fans, I'm currently sitting in a restaurant listening to a "Butler fan" who doesn't even know who they're playing in the FF.

And people wonder why I get annoyed with the bandwagon Colts fans in this city when I say when Manning retires the fans will go too.......

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

area 55 should make note of this and make up some chant for the next time he comes to the fieldhouse.

Maybe he's still pissed about Ron Artest almost depantsing him lol.
    Last edited by TheDon; 03-30-2011 at 06:15 PM.

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by redfoster View Post
    No thanks, I'll pass on the malice part two. On another note it is probably a good thing for Paul that he threw his gum to the floor this time around. Had he thrown it into the crowd he surely would've hit a Boston fan.
    "Can you take away every single day that we have given to another false prophet" -- Corey Taylor

Nerd.
    Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Where's that paul pierce picture of the wheelchair sign and his head? I love that thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    That's the thing...the bandwagon fans. I was lucky enough to get row 5 floor tix the last time the Celts visited the Fieldhouse and wow...the ignorance of a bandwagon fan. It's not exclusive to the Celtics, of course, but those bandwagon fans of big-market cities tend to be the worst. I was trying to be friendly with some and just talk basketball and THEY KNEW NOTHING ABOUT THEIR TEAM! I should never know more about another fan's team than they do. Sigh.
    Reminds me of when I was at our game vs. the Lakers this year. Just as the game got underway I overheard this convo between a couple of their "fans".
    Idiot 1: Hey who's our point guard?
    Idiot 2: I don't know.

Seriously? Even I know who your freaking point guard is and I don't own any kobe jerseys.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to ndcoltsnpacers For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post

Sounds like a lot of "Butler fans." I'm apathetic toward Butler, but that crap really annoys me. I grew up going to games in the Fieldhouse (mostly in the Darnell Archey era) and I have quite a few friends that are BU alum or are still going to school there. So I feel that I know a good deal about the team and, for the most part, always have. It's not difficult to know Butler's starting five when you live in Indy.

But every year around tournament time, Butler's fanbase doubles and the bandwagon jumpers couldn't tell you Zach Hahn from Zach Galifianakis. So damn annoying. The logic is always the same: "I'm in Indy, therefore I have to be a hardcore Butler fan in March!"

I just never understood that, personally. Especially now that they aren't really the underdogs anymore and I've expected them to win every game in this tourney so far except Pitt.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to Dr. Hibbert For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Stryder View Post
    Where's that paul pierce picture of the wheelchair sign and his head? I love that thing.

36. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to huber14 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hibbert View Post
    That's the thing...the bandwagon fans. I was lucky enough to get row 5 floor tix the last time the Celts visited the Fieldhouse and wow...the ignorance of a bandwagon fan. It's not exclusive to the Celtics, of course, but those bandwagon fans of big-market cities tend to be the worst.
    Since when is Boston a big city?