Thread: Rick Fox retires

Default Rick Fox retires

Good.

Click

Fox, traded by Lakers to Celtics, retires

By BETH HARRIS
    AP Sports Writer

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Rick Fox retired Thursday, ending a 13-year pro career during which he was part of three NBA championship teams with the Los Angeles Lakers.

Fox, beset by injuries last season, was traded by the Lakers to the Celtics on Aug. 6. It had been expected he would retire rather than report to Boston's training camp beginning Monday.

The 35-year-old forward averaged a career-low 4.8 points last season, when the Lakers were beaten by Detroit in the NBA Finals.

Fox was bothered by foot, neck and back injuries that limited him to 38 games. He spent the summer rehabilitating, but never fully recovered, his spokeswoman Staci Wolfe said.

"His foot was still not recovered, then he developed bulging discs in his neck and that affected his back," she said. "His body was not responding to the rehab."

Fox also is dealing with upheaval in his personal life. In August, he filed for divorce from singer-actress Vanessa Williams. The couple was married for five years and have a 4-year-old daughter. He also has a son from a previous relationship.

"He's been contemplating his future on all fronts," Wolfe said. "It's a new chapter for him. He's quite excited."

Fox began his NBA career in Boston, where he spent six seasons after being drafted out of North Carolina. He signed as a free agent with the Lakers in 1997 and spent seven seasons playing alongside Shaquille O'Neal and Kobe Bryant.

He had career averages of 9.6 points and 3.8 rebounds in 930 games.

Fox plans to remain in Los Angeles and continue an acting career he developed during his playing days.

His credits include the movies "Holes," "Eddie," "He Got Game," and "The Collectors." He had a recurring role on the HBO series "Oz," and guest-starred last season on the Lifetime series "1-800-Missing."

Default Re: Rick Fox retires

My sister will be happy. She's hated him ever since the 2000 Finals.

Don't know who Doug Christie's gonna have to vent his marital frustrations out on, however.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

Fat, Drunk and Stupid Lord Helmet's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Don't know who Doug Christie's gonna have to vent his marital frustrations out on, however.

Super Bowl XLI Champions
    2000 Eastern Conference Champions

Good riddance.

I hate Rick Fox. I hate him with the passion of a white hot sun.

There are some people who understand that they were just a part of a team of great players (Ho Grant, Brian Shaw, Etc.) & then there are those who actually beleive that they were bigger part of the success then they were, Rick Fox.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

sweabs

He's Canadian...that's the only thing that held me from hating him more than someone like Rasheed...

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by Kegboy
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My sister will be happy. She's hated him ever since the 2000 Finals.
    vetta:ce:range:e::

:

Actually I don't even remember why I hate him. I just know I can't stand the sight of him.

As for him being from Canada didn't he live in Indiana for awhile? I think he was in high school or something.

[edit=156=1096721764][/edit]

Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. [/sarcasm]
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

• Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

Enjoy your time at PD!

Pretty boy can go make B movies now...