Thread: Larry Brown and Rick C.

Default Larry Brown and Rick C.

Why did they fire Rick again? Oh ya it was cause he didnt get along well with his players/management.

Hindsight is always 20/20 BUT, it seems to me the Pistons took a step backwards, Larry seems much more of a hardass than Rick was, I just got done reading that detroit press article on Milicic.
    http://www.freep.com/sports/pistons/pcorn6_20040206.htm

I wonder what kstat or the other pistons guy here thinks about Larry as a coach halfway through the season. Would you rather have Rick back?

My opinion is obviously lopsided as I dont get to see many Pistons games, but I know from a Pacers standpoint, Rick is just what this team needed. I can't think of a better coach for this club after the 1st half of the season, even Larry Brown.

There was all that hype about Larry being the best coach in the game and when they get a chance to get a coach of his calibre they have to let someone of Rick's calibre go. That doesnt seem like a good reason anymore.

thoughts?

Default Re: Larry Brown and Rick C.

Here's something I posted on the Pistons board on realgm last night. I did it more to stir the pot up because they are so thin-skinned over there but I still believe there's a lot of truth to it...

Posted: Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:25 am** *
    Post subject: Your team would be going to the finals...
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ...had you not fired Carlisle. I know you don't want to hear that, but it's the truth. You have a supremely talented team—a team, that by any measure, should make it to the finals.

But something happened along the way to NBA nirvana...

Your meglomaniac owners set into a motion a series of events that will haunt your team for several years to come: They fired Carlisle. Which made him available to Bird. They had to know there was a strong possibility their fiercest competitor would pick him up—the guy that led their team to the ECFs last year. If that's not cutting off your nose to spite your face, I don't know what is.

JO, Ron and company now have a coach. Someone who knows how to direct their vast talents. Had we been stuck with Zeke this year, there's little doubt what team would wrest the Eastern conference crown away from the Nets. Now, it's more of a toss up that leans strongly in favor of the Pacers.

To suggest that Carlisle is a better coach than Brown is silly, but on the other hand to suggest that Brown is better right now than carlisle is silly.

They are both great coaches. Brown has been a head coach for what 25 years, Rick almost 3.

They have different approaches, different systems, different personalities, and yet they both preach good defense and unselfish offense.

I truly believe now more than ever that Carlisle is the perfect coach for this Pacers team and is a better fit than Brown would be. Pacers need a steady and calm hand at the wheel with the type of players the Pacers have and after what took place here the past few seasons.

But that does not mean that Brown is not a great great coach.

I think, and I know Kstat disagrees with me, that a few key personel changes the Pisotns made has hurt them this season, but it will hep them in the long run.

Of course having said all this the Pistons I think have basically the same record as last season

To suggest that Carlisle is a better coach than Brown is silly, but on the other hand to suggest that Brown is better right now than carlisle is silly.

They are both great coaches. Brown has been a head coach for what 25 years, Rick almost 3.

They have different approaches, different systems, different personalities, and yet they both preach good defense and unselfish offense.

I truly believe now more than ever that Carlisle is the perfect coach for this Pacers team and is a better fit than Brown would be. Pacers need a steady and calm hand at the wheel with the type of players the Pacers have and after what took place here the past few seasons.

But that does not mean that Brown is not a great great coach.

I think, and I know Kstat disagrees with me, that a few key personel changes the Pisotns made has hurt them this season, but it will hep them in the long run.

Of course having said all this the Pistons I think have basically the same record as last season
    The Pistons certainly aren't hurting too bad looking at their record. Let's hope the Pacers don't fall back to them and make this interesting.

Obviously we are talking about two different coaches BUT I never did understand some in Detroit thinking that Brown was going to be worlds different in the 'warmth' category.

Personally, I think that complaint about Carlisle was trumped up a bit. It was management's problem with Carlisle and/or the ability to get Brown that was behind the change.... not that a few players might've wanted some quality time with the coach of the year.

As far as Detroit losing Carlisle... The Pacers don't have much room to brag on that point. We had him and you might as well say fired him too.

Wish I had more time to post today... but I don't.... Maybe later tonight...

-Bball
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, that’s teamwork."

-John Wooden

One thing I know is that brown yells and screams more at players than Carlisle does. The Brown you see in interviews, press conferences etc is nothing like the way he is around his team.

I don't think Rick is as good a coach as Brown, but he is doing a better job this season and that's what matters.

King Mob

The funny thing about all the *****ing and moaning we Pistons fans are doing this year, is that we're doing it while having the 6th best record in the league, and 2nd best in the East.

The difference between last year and this years team is that Carlisle taught the team how to run his sets. Brown is teaching them how to play basketball. We are a much better passing team this year, and we move much better without the ball, little things like diving to the basket if your man leaves you to help out on defense, stuff that seems pretty basic but wasn't happening last year. Carlisle called the play and they ran it, and if it broke down then we were screwed.

I'm as frustrated as anyone else in Motown, but I'll wait to see what we do in the playoffs before I pass judgement on Brown's Pistons vs. Carlisle's.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Pistons are built to win in 2005. They drafted 2 players that wont play until next year, theyre trading Corliss Williamson for cap space for the summer, and rumor is they will allow Charlotte to nab Chucky Atkins for that same reason. Thats about 10 million dollars in extra cap space. Joe Dumars has CLEARLY alluded that he is making moves to make us a true contender NEXT season. Even HE admits much of this current roster wont be here next year.

Anything that happens in 2004 is just gravy.

I WOULD like to go to the finals this year, but Im not sure if thats possible anymore.

It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004