Thread: Colts considering TCU QB Dalton

Default Colts considering TCU QB Dalton

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/p...38938#comments

Colts considering TCU QB Dalton
    By Mark J. Miller
    The Indianapolis Colts currently have one quarterback "technically under contract" for next season, FOXSports.com reports, and it's not 35-year-old Peyton Manning(notes). The site notes that it is Curtis Painter(notes), who was picked in the sixth round of the 2009 draft.

FOXSports reports that the Colts may be looking to upgrade on Painter with the upcoming draft. One workout that the team has scheduled is with Andy Dalton, the quarterback for the Rose Bowl-winning Texas Christian University Horned Frogs.

The 23-year-old Dalton, of course, was the Offensive MVP of the 2011 Rose Bowl as well as the Mountain West Conference Offensive Player of the Year for the past two seasons

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Colts considering TCU QB Dalton

2nd rder i dont see the colts picking a qb that soon

Mood

At some point the Colts will use a high draft pick on an understudy for Peyton. I don't think it's this year but it will happen.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to travmil For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by travmil View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    At some point the Colts will use a high draft pick on an understudy for Peyton. I don't think it's this year but it will happen.
    Im sure they will if i had to take one this year i really like Christian Ponder. He threw the ball really really well at the combine for some reason i watcch that boring event lol and is finnaly healthy. I think he is great value in the 2nd or 3rd rd.

I understand the logic in draft a QB. It is not the time to do it. The Colts have missed on way too many draft picks and have to many needs to fill. They have put themselves in a position where they don't have the luxury of drafting a QB. They must draft for the present need.

Mood

What if Locker or Mallet falls to the Colts pick I would think you guys have to take one of them that would be really good value. I dont like Locker as much but i think Mallet is gonna be really really good in 4 years.

woman without a team

Just because they're working him out doesn't mean they're going to draft him.

Quote Originally Posted by Young View Post
    I understand the logic in draft a QB. It is not the time to do it. The Colts have missed on way too many draft picks and have to many needs to fill. They have put themselves in a position where they don't have the luxury of drafting a QB. They must draft for the present need.
    Manning gets hurt and we don't win a single game so it's time to draft someone to back him up. Manning's streak of not missing a game can't go on forever. Think statistically.

I don't think the Colts will take him, but he's a very good quarterback.

If he's there in the 2nd, and I would assume he will be, it'd be a good pick depending on who we go with in the first.

Obviously, we'd be screwed regardless if Peyton gets hurt. But Painter is just beyond awful. Dalton would at least give us a fighting chance, albeit a small one.
    Stop quoting people I have on ignore!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Psyren For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

We have to probably be thinking of getting a guy to groom as Peyton's replacement within the next year or two. Think Aaron Rodgers or Steve Young.......oh how I wish it would be an easy transition like that.

"I've got an idea--an idea so smart that my head would explode if I even began to know what I'm talking about." - Peter Griffin

Never underestimate Polian's ability to do X when the team has a glaring need at Y.

In fact, I wish fans and commentators wouldn't even speculate on what the Colts will do in the draft based on perceived needs. ...I think all it does it cause Polian to go another direction so he doesn't look like he's following the herd and then can proclaim himself smartest guy in the room for bucking conventional wisdom.
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

------

"A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

-John Wooden

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:

Banned

I believe Colts go best player available.

Too hard to make a pick right now?

imagine if a Mark Ingram (RB/ALA) is around do you go w/ him. What if a stud Defensive player slips down (LB/DT/SS/CB/WR) that was projected top 10?

I do not think you take an OL b/c you "need" one. OL is the hardest position to draft in the NFL. Polian has missed twice on early OL in the draft: Ugoh & Pollack. Wait and see what happens; this is highest draft pick the Colts have had in awhile and they have to address many holes. If the Colts do lose Manning the defense is going to have to get a whole lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    Manning gets hurt and we don't win a single game so it's time to draft someone to back him up. Manning's streak of not missing a game can't go on forever. Think statistically.
    They lose Manning and the season doesn't matter no matter the back up. Drafting a QB early is really terrible logic until unless Peyton has mentioned retiring soon.

Quote Originally Posted by speakout4 View Post
    I understand what you are saying here but no matter who the Colts can draft at QB they are not going to be a good team if Peyton goes down. No shot at the Superbowl. If Peyton is healthy and you fill some of the needs then the Colts have a shot at winning a SuperBowl.

Quote Originally Posted by righteouscool View Post
    They lose Manning and the season doesn't matter no matter the back up. Drafting a QB early is really terrible logic until unless Peyton has mentioned retiring soon.
    Yeah the 49ers had Montana and then Steve Young so that wasn't a terrible idea. You groom a guy for a few years behind Manning so that when he has lost it we don't necessarily become the raiders. We haven't had a decent backup to Peyton and that is not smart.

I like the idea of drafting a smart QB to learn from the master for a few years like Green Bay. I'm just not sure if this is the year to do it.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2011...ke-look-TCU-QB

Colts take look at TCU QB
    Dalton led Horned Frogs to 13-0 record and win over Wisconsin in Rose Bowl
    Apr 5, 2011 | 4Comments
    The Indianapolis Colts' pre-draft evaluation process has included a look at TCU quarterback Andy Dalton.

Vice president and general manager Chris Polian and coach Jim Caldwell put Dalton through a private workout Monday, according to ESPN.com.

The Colts do not comment on players they might be considering for the draft.

In the short term, the interest in Dalton would be in acquiring backup competition behind Peyton Manning.

That position has been held the past two seasons by Curtis Painter, a 2009 sixth-round draft pick out of Purdue.

On a grander scale, the Colts might be interested in beginning the grooming process of Dalton or another quarterback to be Manning's eventual successor. The NFL's only four-time MVP is 35 and entering his 14th season.

Dalton was a four-year starter at TCU. The 6-2, 215-pounder posted a 42-7 record as a starter while passing for 10,314 yards and 71 touchdowns.

As a senior, Dalton led the Horned Frogs to a 13-0 record and Rose Bowl victory over Wisconsin. He completed 66.1 percent of his passes for 2,857 yards with 27 touchdowns and six interceptions.

The Colts have six picks in the April 28-30 draft, including the 22nd overall.

Banned

Smoke Screen

You have Mallett & Locker as well. No hands down number 1 QB this draft. Colts need to go Defense/Defense/Defense.

Yeah because Polian is batting a 1000 here with his recent draft picks*snort*

If anything its a likely possibility we are looking to the future after all Manning is 35 and I see him being here for maybe 3-4 years. I don't see him hanging around like Favre and would only be here if the Colts were still competitive.

Favre was 35 when Rodgers was drafted.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Basketball Fan View Post
    Yeah because Polian is batting a 1000 here with his recent draft picks*snort*

If anything its a likely possibility we are looking to the future after all Manning is 35 and I see him being here for maybe 3-4 years. I don't see him hanging around like Favre and would only be here if the Colts were still competitive.

Favre was 35 when Rodgers was drafted.
    Different Era's of football. The QB is way more protected now than when Farve was young. I only understand drafting Dalton if you think Peyton is going to walk away via Free Agency.

Quote Originally Posted by Lou Bega View Post
    Different Era's of football. The QB is way more protected now than when Farve was young. I only understand drafting Dalton if you think Peyton is going to walk away via Free Agency.

And before this past season Favre never missed a start either. But he was the same age as Manning was now and contemplating retirement(big surprise) the only difference is Manning isn't contemplating it now.

He's 35 and unlike Favre I don't see him playing when he's 40. He doesn't seem that desperate to hang onto the spotlight like Favre in that regard.

Mood

Well the Saints are "interested" in Dalton as well, and Brees is 32...
    * Most Humorous Poster Nominee (2004, 2005, 2010)
    * Off Topic Post of the Year Winner (2009)
    * Off Topic Thread of the Year Nominee (2010)

Formerly a naturallystoned, badinfluence...