Thread: If the Pacers show up against good teams, and don't against bad teams...

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default If the Pacers show up against good teams, and don't against bad teams...

... then shouldn't we feel a little good about the playoffs?

I mean aside from the fact that we will be in the playoffs for the first time since Rick Carlisle was the coach, we should really feel pretty good about the way our team has played against the upper echelon of teams recently. Our last 4 homes games we have beaten New York, Chicago and Boston. That's the number 1,2 & 7 seed in the Eastern Conference. Sure we lost to Sacramento and Detroit, but we're not playing Sacramentos and Detroits in the playoffs. Not to mention that Sacramento and Detroit are playing spoilers right now, similar to how we have typically played the past few seasons. Also, Sacramento is playing some great basketball lately. They have won 4 straight and have beaten 3 playoff teams in that stretch (Pacers, 76ers, and Suns, as well as Milwaukee who is trying to make the playoffs).

This is all just a crazy theory of mine, but I think MAYBE it might hold some merit. Just a positive way to look at things as we head into a first round matchup with either the Bulls or Celtics.
    Last edited by SMosley21; 03-30-2011 at 12:02 PM.
    Grown Man Ball

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: If the Pacers show up against good teams, and don't against bad teams...

I think, assuming we get in as the 8th, that we'll give our first-round opponent a good series. We probly have no business beating them, but they'll get a work-out. If anything, it gives us a minimum of 3 more games to watch, and a playoff game in Indy which is always a nice lil economic boost.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-30-2011 at 12:11 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Dream Big

Default Re: If the Pacers show up against good teams, and don't against bad teams...

I'll feel good about the playoffs after we clinch a spot.

Quote Originally Posted by tora tora View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I'll feel good about the playoffs after we clinch a spot.
    Have faith my friend. Have faith.
    Grown Man Ball

Playoffs are a different animal. No missing players (mostly), no underestimating opponents, no back to backs on the road when the other guy has been off 3 days.

I mean it makes sense in concept, but I think you get the higher seeds A game without exception almost. Thats different than a way too long season.

Playoffs are the first one to 4 games, not 1 of 82.

I do think match ups in a playoff series have a huge impact over the course of games. I also think coaching can make a difference.
    Last edited by Speed; 03-30-2011 at 12:18 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Speed For This Useful Post:

Was it two years ago that the bulls gave the celtics that 7 game series which had many overtimes? Wasn't that a 2 seed and 7 seed? That's what I will hope for.
    DG for 3

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ColeTheMole For This Useful Post:

Getting up for the good teams..and not so much for the not so good teams, is one of the biggest indicators of this team's youth.

I think, after the first game (assuming we make the playoffs) it'll be a very well fought out series. I don't expect, or even think in the slightest, that we'll win. But I don't think it will be easy for the teams that play us.

The first game though..I'm not going to be shocked if a good majority of the team essentially chokes. Our ten player rotation consists of first, second and third year players..plus Danny, Jeff, and either Dahntay or Dun. (So...7 of our 10) Not going to shock me if they are a bit overwhelmed..and either get stupid or try and do too much.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar

If I am not mistaken, the good teams we beat were all coming in off a back to back, while we had not played the night before

take it for what its worth
    Sittin on top of the world!

Quote Originally Posted by 90'sNBARocked View Post
    If I am not mistaken, the good teams we beat were all coming in off a back to back, while we had not played the night before

take it for what its worth
    The Knicks lost to us twice, at home and then in Conseco. The Bulls and Celtics were both on the 2nd game of back to backs.

Our recent losses...

@ Oklahoma City
    @ Houston
    @ Minnesota
    @ Boston
    @ Memphis
    @ Detroit

were all on the 2nd night of a back-to-back set. Can we use that excuse for those games too?
    Grown Man Ball

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SMosley21 For This Useful Post:

The playoffs are completely different - just ask the Celtics from last year. After January 1st they were a .500 team and yet they get to game 7 of the NBA Finals.

This idea is fools gold. Stand a better chance of getting swept in the 1st round as we do winning a game or 2. Good playoff teams turn it on during the playoffs. So while we might be eeking out a a few wins against the best teams we are going to have to elevate our play much more just to win a game. Our only hope is that Boston or Chicagos Chemistry is not where it needs to be in the 1st round having all their injured players return.
    You can't get champagne from a garden hose.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to graphic-er For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    This idea is fools gold. Stand a better chance of getting swept in the 1st round as we do winning a game or 2. Good playoff teams turn it on during the playoffs. So while we might be eeking out a a few wins against the best teams we are going to have to elevate our play much more just to win a game. Our only hope is that Boston or Chicagos Chemistry is not where it needs to be in the 1st round having all their injured players return.
    I disagree. I think the chances of this team winning 1 game no matter who it is is far greater than the possibility of them being swept.

SMosely21-

Are you sure that the Knicks fall into the 'good team' category ?

On the thread topic specifically, putting aside individual matchups
    for the moment, the best draw is probably either CHIC or MIA. I
    could see either team at less than optimal in one game.

Given their collective age and mileage, the Celts will probably all
    business in an attempt to get an series over quickly to preserve
    energy for the long haul into June.

Sports Logo

You seem to misunderstand something.
    This whole "good against good teams, bad against bad teams" is just incorrect. Most of our wins this season have come from bad teams.
    Yes, we have beaten chicago once, and celtics once. But both have beaten us 3 times.
    Going 1-3 against good teams doesn't make you "good against good teams". It makes you an average team.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to yoadknux For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by graphic-er View Post
    You read my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Minneapolis View Post
    3 more games to watch, and a playoff game in Indy which is always a nice lil economic boost.
    Wouldn't we have at least 2 home games? Isn't the 1st round best of 7 now? I thought the format in the 1st round was 2-2-1-1-1

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by yoadknux View Post
    You seem to misunderstand something.
    This whole "good against good teams, bad against bad teams" is just incorrect. Most of our wins this season have come from bad teams.
    Yes, we have beaten chicago once, and celtics once. But both have beaten us 3 times.
    Going 1-3 against good teams doesn't make you "good against good teams". It makes you an average team.
    I was disappointed that it took 14 replies to get to this nugget of truth.

The Pacers are 24-15 against teams .500 or below.

The Pacers are 10-27 against teams .500 and above.

The Pacers, this season have not really done a good job showing up against good teams. Other than the Portland, Chicago, and Boston games (it's really hard even for a good team to beat someone 4 straight tries during the regular season) what good teams have they really beaten since Vogel has become the coach? The answer is zero.

Since Vogel was named head coach the Pacers are 3-10 against teams above .500.

If they win their last 6 games in-a-row, maybe they can make some noise in the playoffs. Either way, let's enjoy the Pacers for what they are - a young developing team - and not heap big playoff expectations on them. If they can just make the field, they'll be doing great!
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to naptownmenace For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SMosley21 View Post

Also, Sacramento is playing some great basketball lately. They have won 4 straight and have beaten 3 playoff teams in that stretch (Pacers, 76ers, and Suns, as well as Milwaukee who is trying to make the playoffs).

The Suns are out of the playoffs in 10th place. Their season hasn't been the best for them this year.

[QUOTE=Speed;1204898]Playoffs are a different animal. No missing players (mostly), no underestimating opponents, no back to backs on the road when the other guy has been off 3 days.[QUOTE]

this.

i will be happy if we make the playoffs.