Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How many times, if ever, has this been done in the NBA???

Default How many times, if ever, has this been done in the NBA???

During the Celtics game last night in the 4th quarter it became very apparent that Josh McRoberts was playing point power forward. The Pacers were literally running their offense through Josh at the top of the key for about 4 straight plays and Josh initiated the offense several other times during the quarter.

I could not think of a time that a power forward has been used like that. I can't think of a time any pacer power forward has ever done it & I'm really straining to figure out any other power forward that has done this.

Bird obviously initiated the offense a lot but was he ever really the power forward? Even with Cornbread Maxwell on the floor I still think Larry played the 3.

Hedu in Orlando? I'm not sure, maybe. Anybody more familiar with that situation clue me in.

Am I just missing a big obvious player or person?

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

Dutch Pacers Fan

Default Re: How many times, if ever, has this been done in the NBA???

Antoine Walker with Celtics back when they were playing with like nobody inside, that team had Lafrentz, McCarty and those guys right?!
    Yay, I don't know if we're going back to the play-offs!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to pacersgroningen For This Useful Post:

Garnett in Minnesota for most of the first half of the decade.

Quote Originally Posted by Sobotka View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Garnett in Minnesota for most of the first half of the decade.
    Did he actually initiate the offense for others or did they run their offense through him and on occasion he found others for a shot?

I'm asking honestly as I'm not sure.

What Josh was doing last night was not running the offense through him for him to look for something for himself but he was doing it to run the offense to make a play for others.

Basketball isn't played with computers, spreadsheets, and simulations. ChicagoJ 4/21/13

I can't see the games here in Hawaii but Anthony Mason comes to mind.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Bricklayer For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Wilt Chamberlan did it, but he was a center. Still the only center to lead the NBA in assists.

Banned

Odom, Hedo, Garnett, Walker.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81 View Post
    Odom, Hedo, Garnett, Walker.
    Add Anthony Mason to that list. When he was in NY and Charlotte he played Point-Forward. He averaged a career high 5.7 assists per game in his first season in Charlotte.

KG averaged over 5 assists a game 6 years in-a-row (averaged 6.0 assists in 2003) and has a career average of 4.1 assists per game.
    Quote Originally Posted by vnzla81
    Larry is not coming back, he didn't have a meeting with Orlando for not reason, yeah he is coming back to the NBA but not to the Pacers, the notion that he is a taking a year off and then come back is absurd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trader Joe View Post
    GOOD GOD THAT'S LARRY BIRD'S MUSIC!

Sports Logo

Odom, Magic

There are a few in the NBA right now, maybe not guys who are orchestrating complex plays, but Odom, Hedo, Lebron(could be considered a PF), even Beasley will sometimes bring the ball up the court and create a play with a pick and roll or a drive and dish.

Josh has such great playmaking skills, I hope they really try to milk it for all it's worth.

I am ready to see Josh and Dunleavy as our starters again and reunite Paul and Tyler with the goon squad in preparation for the playoffs.

It is encouraging to see Frank using his players unique skills. I think I want to see what Frank can do with the team when he has a full year of preparation.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PaceBalls For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Odom in Miami Wade's rookie year.

I'd actually say it's been decently common this past decade. Lots of PFs have been the initiators of offense.

“WE NEVER SURRENDER, WE NEVER GIVE UP, WE KEEP ATTACKING”- Frank Vogel
    momentarygodsblog.com https://twitter.com/momentarygods

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I don't think KG really brought the ball up and distributed. He's a great feeder out of the post after drawing defenders in, I think that's how he gets most of his assists, and I'm guessing Wilt was the same way.

Anthony Mason was definitely a point-forward, maybe not as fancy in the passes as Josh, but he definitely brought the ball up the court and distributed and added some sauce to some of his passes.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-29-2011 at 01:19 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Scottie Pippen was probably the most famous Point forward.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to aaronb For This Useful Post:

Boris Diaw comes to mind, too.

Sports Logo

Every time I see McBob make a pass like the many that we see each game.....I say to myself.....man, I'm going to miss him when he's gone next season.

If Hansbrough was not here...I'd have no problem playing him as a backup PF....but I don't feel that McBob has the strength and rebounding skills to fill the role that Foster currently fills.....being a Backup Center. Unless McBob gets the Starting PF role ( he won't ) or Foster's role ( specifically backup Center to play next to Hansbrough and whoever the Starting PF is going to be ), my guess is that McBob will be gone next season.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I think Toni Kukoc would qualify as a Point-PF.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to pacergod2 For This Useful Post:

MTM

Intuition over Integers McKeyFan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    Every time I see McBob make a pass like the many that we see each game.....I say to myself.....man, I'm going to miss him when he's gone next season.

If Hansbrough was not here...I'd have no problem playing him as a backup PF....but I don't feel that McBob has the strength and rebounding skills to fill the role that Foster currently fills.....being a Backup Center. Unless McBob gets the Starting PF role ( he won't ) or Foster's role ( specifically backup Center to play next to Hansbrough and whoever the Starting PF is going to be ), my guess is that McBob will be gone next season.
    I'd hate to see him go. Especially if his ceiling is much higher. (He's still one of our youngest guys).

Even in the last two or three games I've noticed him doing a better job scoring on the drive and in the post.

“People talk about how quiet he [McKey] is, but he’s really been helpful. He gives a lot of insight to players in how to guard certain teams and what their weaknesses are. The whole team listens to him, and it makes my job a lot easier. Having players like him is what pro basketball is all about for me.” —Larry Brown

I'm not saying this answers your question directly but I'm thinking of the old Sacramento Kings offense. They utilized two excellent passing big men in Vlade Divac and Chris Webber. They were always fun to watch. But those two bigs probably weren't initiating the offense in the way you mean.

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McKeyFan View Post
    I'd hate to see him go. Especially if his ceiling is much higher. (He's still one of our youngest guys).

Even in the last two or three games I've noticed him doing a better job scoring on the drive and in the post.
    He basically was doing what you said you wanted to see with your thread about him at point guard. He wasn't playing the point guard position, but in the half court offense, he was being used as such.

It's huge for us, because it takes our biggest weakness (PG play) and turns it into a huge match-up advantage for us.

I know everybody loves Tyler, but he really doesn't offer us anything from a playmaking perspective, and that's currently the biggest hole in this team, and specifically in the starting lineup. Everybody wants to get their own, nobody wants to set up his teammates. Josh does. Maybe Dunleavy will give us some more of that, when he comes back. But right now, we are putting 5 players out there that want to score every time. In theory, that works. In practice, it usually doesn't. It is a cliche, but it's also a fact that there is only one ball on the court. Everybody can't be the main scoring threat.

I don't think it matters who starts between Tyler and Josh, and I'd like to see more of Tyler and Josh together, but Josh has a skill that our team is sorely lacking. I hope to see it utilized more.

25. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Pacer Pride, Colts Strong Kid Minneapolis's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by pacergod2 View Post
    I think Toni Kukoc would qualify as a Point-PF.
    Kukoc was mostly used as a SF... as a backup in Chicago. Think he only started the year after Grant left, only because that was the only starter position open. Tbo, I don't remember Kukoc runnin the point often... he was capable of bringing the ball up the court on occasion.
    Last edited by Kid Minneapolis; 03-29-2011 at 03:42 PM.
    There are two types of quarterbacks in the league: Those whom over time, the league figures out ... and those who figure out the league.

Mood

Lamar Odom in La still runs the backup's offense at PF

Anothy Mason, Hedo, Magic, Scottie Pippen

Droppin' knowledge, yo. Mackey_Rose's Avatar

People are saying Magic, and yeah he was 6' 9", but make no mistake. That guy was a point guard.

29. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mackey_Rose For This Useful Post:

Mood

Quote Originally Posted by Mackey_Rose View Post
    People are saying Magic, and yeah he was 6' 9", but make no mistake. That guy was a point guard.
    he played games at C and PF and still played point forward. Obviously he is a pg but when they had injurys he would fill in at the forward/ center spot.

Yeah, I'm a Pacers fan. MyFavMartin's Avatar
    Mood

He basically was doing what you said you wanted to see with your thread about him at point guard. He wasn't playing the point guard position, but in the half court offense, he was being used as such.

It's huge for us, because it takes our biggest weakness (PG play) and turns it into a huge match-up advantage for us.

I know everybody loves Tyler, but he really doesn't offer us anything from a playmaking perspective, and that's currently the biggest hole in this team, and specifically in the starting lineup. Everybody wants to get their own, nobody wants to set up his teammates. Josh does. Maybe Dunleavy will give us some more of that, when he comes back. But right now, we are putting 5 players out there that want to score every time. In theory, that works. In practice, it usually doesn't. It is a cliche, but it's also a fact that there is only one ball on the court. Everybody can't be the main scoring threat.

I don't think it matters who starts between Tyler and Josh, and I'd like to see more of Tyler and Josh together, but Josh has a skill that our team is sorely lacking. I hope to see it utilized more.
    Tyler is very good in the PnR and PnPop.

The funny thing is, it was working well in the second unit for a very different reason.

That unit doesn't have one legitimate consistent scoring threat, that can get his points in the flow of the offense. I've said I think it's pretty obvious that Vogel, and the second unit as a whole, thinks it should be Price.

But by having good ball movement and letting Josh make plays, that allowed AJ to move without the ball and get pretty good shots, and because AJ was now getting better shots (instead of trying to create by himself) that offered more threats on offense because we had Rush and AJ and Dahntay moving without the ball, and Foster setting screens, and Josh able to get the ball to them (and they were all unselfish enough last night, to pass the ball if an even better shot opened up)

Actually, if Dun replaces Dahntay in the second unit, (I'm not sure I want him too..but if he does) An offense with AJ, Rush, Josh, Dun, and Foster (although Hibbert would benefit a lot from it) will have a lot of great ball movement, and player movement..if these guys continue to play the way they did last night. (Doubt it)

The starters, I'm not sure what they need. The problem with having Josh start with them is that, technically we have three guys looking for their shot (DC, Roy, and Danny) but they are also so dang inconsistent that it's almost better to have a fourth option in there in Hans..figuring we can count on at least one to get going offensively so we aren't in a hole.