Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31

Thread: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    As a superfanboy of Georgie Boy, I've been trying to figure out what it's going to take for him to turn into the player we could use before the playoffs, or at least before next season.

    Before he started, I said that putting Paul in the starting lineup would invigorate and motivate him to perform at RoY-esque levels. However, in my modesty, I failed to realize he would no longer be a viable option in the offense, as all four other players would be trying to score before him. Even when he was gooning it up, he wasn't the most active, powerful player with the ball.

    My scenario:

    Depending on MDJ's production in upcoming practice(s), put him back in the starting lineup at SG, where he can do whatever he does, and allow Paul to play behind Danny, even so far as to be the 6th man/option. The point is to establish this, run plays for him, and let him work. MDJ's biggest asset (to me) is that he teaches the young kids how to move off-ball, defend better, and other things that Dun's good at, while allowing them to grow.

    With a Goon Squad of AJ and Dahntay/Rush in the backcourt, and George at the 3, we would have a more smashmouth-style group of guys, with Josh moving the ball more than usual (power guard), and Foster rebounding and boxing out and such.

    Though the pressure of becoming the lead bench option could be a hassle, it might be better than having Paul stand in the corner and get 2-3 touches per quarter, not counting an additional 2 incidentals (rebounds, saves, etc.). Looking at Paul George as our possible future star, we need to be ready to put him into action. We should have been letting him make mistakes earlier in the season, before the playoff push, rather than putting him in the starting lineup and letting him stand still.

    I also would like to see him start working 1-on-1 with Lance to improve his dribbling and overall handling. It's one of the few "skills" I see him lacking, and the one that seems to cause more problems/turnovers than any of his other offensive/defensive mistakes.

    Of course, I understand that we really shouldn't switch much up right now, being in our playoff push. We can't afford to make too many mistakes and have them attributed to "botched lineups". However, if Rush's offensive off-ball production (those catch-and-shoot jumpers he's been shooting/making lately) gets to a tolerant point, he may be more valuable with the starters.

    Okay, what say you?
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  2. The Following User Says Thank You to imbtyler For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by imbtyler View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    However, in my modesty, I failed to realize he would no longer be a viable option in the offense, as all four other players would be trying to score before him.


    You can leave him where he is and let him get the experience of being on the floor without being a scoring option, or (as you say) he can be back on the goons as a higher level scoring option and, in my opinion, get BETTER experience and MORE confidence even though he is "benched".

    That would mean someone like (cue screams of anguish and pots of boiling oil) Dunleavy as a starter when he returns, or (cue screams of anguish and pots of boiling oil) Rush, since neither should be thought of as a high option scorer (Dunleavy is a scoring facilitator who will be a high option under some circumstances but will disrupt the opponent's defense in most).
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  4. The Following User Says Thank You to BillS For This Useful Post:


  5. #3

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by BillS View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote


    You can leave him where he is and let him get the experience of being on the floor without being a scoring option, or (as you say) he can be back on the goons as a higher level scoring option and, in my opinion, get BETTER experience and MORE confidence even though he is "benched".

    That would mean someone like (cue screams of anguish and pots of boiling oil) Dunleavy as a starter when he returns, or (cue screams of anguish and pots of boiling oil) Rush, since neither should be thought of as a high option scorer (Dunleavy is a scoring facilitator who will be a high option under some circumstances but will disrupt the opponent's defense in most).
    Completely OT: But from your avatar, your watching the Cricket WC ?

  6. #4
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by immortality View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Completely OT: But from your avatar, your watching the Cricket WC ?
    I'm in India on business and have been a cricket fan for some years since being hooked on it by a good friend in the UK. While England really didn't bother to show up for their match against Sri Lanka, the India cricket fervor has been a lot of fun to experience.

    I will be "working from the hotel" on Thursday afternoon
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  7. #5

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    When George is on the floor with the starting line-up he plays like the new guy at a pick-up game who doesn't want to shoot because he doesn't want people to think he's a ballhog. When he plays with the second unit he seems to know he's the best guy on the floor and is more comfortable and assertive.

    Outside of Granger, our starting line-up has about 6 or 7 years of NBA experience combined. I wouldn't mind starting Dunleavy or Rush just to have George off the bench getting more shots. He needs to get more shots up even if they're misses.

  8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Shooting for the Moon Day-V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    SoBro
    Age
    26
    Posts
    4,307
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    I love Paul, but I think at this time it's better for him to come off the bench. It'd make him more of a scoring option than someone who just camps out on the 3 PT line.

  10. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,045

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    The SG position is a position that I have trouble figure out what to do. I think with who our other 4 starters are we won't see much difference between them. I think Rush is finally finding his role on the team coming off the bench, I don't think George gets much benefit playing with our starters, and I believe Dunleavy would be much more beneficial guarding SFs instead of SGs. It seems like every day I change my mind. Right now I am leaning towards starting Dunleavy, and having Rush and George as co-6th man.

  11. #8

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    It seemed like they called Paul's number more often when he first started playing big minutes. I remember them giving him the ball at the end of quarters and letting him run out the clock with a drive to the basket. He looked good doing it. I'd tell the point guards to make sure Paul got an isolation play 2 or 3 times a game. Let's develop that skill and let him apply it in games. I think he'll score enough times that it won't hurt us. And if it doesn't work then we can stop doing it.

    I see that as part of a point guards job. They should make sure that each player is getting a chance to utilize their skills within the offense. Keep everything balanced and everyone happy. If Paul hasn't shot recently then the point guard should get him the ball where he likes it and let him go to work.

    But our point guards may be too young and inexperienced to do that.

  12. #9
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,623

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Here's the dilemma....I want PGs defense in the Starting lineup....but I can see the need for some scoring in the 2nd unit....hence the need for someone like PG or Dunleavy added to the 2nd unit to allow for the scoring....but I really would prefer to keep Dunleavy's defensive liabilities away from the Starting lineup while pairing him with BRush or Inferno. I guess the answer could be to move Inferno into the Starting lineup where he can focus more on his defense and score as a 4th/5th scoring option...then have a BRush/PG/Dunleavy 2nd unit.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  13. #10
    The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,580

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    I don't know maybe Paul enjoys his little corner on offense. Not to make it a lineup thread but I want our starters to be

    PG - Collison
    SG - Rush
    SF - Granger
    PF - Hansbrough
    C - Hibbert

    bench to be

    PG - Price
    SG - Paul
    SF - Dunleavy
    PF - Josh
    C - Jeff

    Then just throw Dahntay into spot minutes here and there when someone isn't cutting it on defense. I think our bench would go from a lack of ball movement to tons of ball movement. We might lose a step on defense with Dunleavy but I really don't see him being terrible defending bench players. Plus mike can provide a spark off the bench offensively. Mike tends to wear down during long stretches but is usually pretty spot on when he has his legs under him.

  14. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Sacramento
    Age
    26
    Posts
    27

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    For Paul George to be the starting 2 guard on this team he really needs to improve his ball handle like right now, if he got the handle going for himself he would be really good. Since he doesn't have the handle yet i suggest using him sort of like Richard Hamiltion, have him come off curls and back screens to utilitze his mid-range game and slashing which is where he will be good for a long time in my opinion. I wish Dunleavy would rub off on him and brandon rush so they dont camp on the wings, for all that dunleavy does wrong he knows spots on the floor and moves well, something he can definately teach the other players.

  15. #12
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Bills, I'll be in the pub/club all day tomorrow, game starts 9 am our time and yes that is an Indian club and the owner's a good friend, has 200 bookings for the day already :P

    you should use this picture though :

    (P.S. Bill if the game is local to you, let me know, I had some tickets offered to me yesterday if you are interested)

    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  16. #13
    Running with the Big Boys BillS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Danberry
    Age
    55
    Posts
    11,603

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by able View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    (P.S. Bill if the game is local to you, let me know, I had some tickets offered to me yesterday if you are interested)
    Nowhere near it (I'm in Bangalore) unfortunately, but thanks for the offer - would have been the mightiest of coolness.
    BillS

    "Every time I pitched it was like throwing gasoline on a fire. Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw! Pkkw!"
    - Ebby Calvin "Nuke" LaLoosh

  17. #14
    A happy Roy is a good Roy DaveP63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Farmerstucky
    Posts
    1,229

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Second unit, please.
    http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...nce-stephenson
    "But, first, let us now praise famous moments, because something happened Tuesday night in Indianapolis that you can watch a lifetime’s worth of professional basketball and never see again. There was a brief, and very decisive, and altogether unprecedented, outburst of genuine officiating, and it was directed at the best player in the world, and that, my dear young person, simply is not done."

  18. #15
    Member LucasRL13's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Lisbon, Portugal
    Posts
    1,128

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Danthay Jones?

    You guys don't like him?
    Is a great player in my opinion...

    The best defender in our team

  19. #16
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    It probably would be best to start Rush and let Mike play with Paul off the bench.

  20. #17
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,623

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It probably would be best to start Rush and let Mike play with Paul off the bench.
    Yeah....then you'll have someone create another thread about how passive BRush is on the offensive end and then calling to trade da bum ASAP. As many people that are are out there that complain about Dunleavy's defense sucking...there are an equal amount of people that hate the BRush simply disappears on the offensive end.
    Last edited by CableKC; 03-29-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  21. #18
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah....then you'll have someone create another thread about how passive BRush is on the offensive end and then calling to trade da bum ASAP. As many people that are are out there that complain about Dunleavy's defense sucking...there are an equal amount of people that hate the BRush simply disappears on the offensive end.

    But he doesn't dissapear! THEY ARE RUNNING OUT OF TOUCHES!

    his primary job is defense, and he has to be a threat to keep the defense honest, but he is a last resort on offense, Roy, Danny, DC are ahead of him and either Josh is perhaps equal, but Tyler is surely convinced he's ahead in the pecking order, so tell me, when does he drive or shoot like he does well with the 2nd unit ??

    As a defender with all respect to PG, he's still lightyears ahead of PG in locking down a man and fighting through screens.

    He is trule the most underrated and under-appreciated player on the Pacers
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  22. #19

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It probably would be best to start Rush and let Mike play with Paul off the bench.
    But I think Brandon plays better in the second unit.

  23. #20
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Sookie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    But I think Brandon plays better in the second unit.
    So does Paul.

  24. #21

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    So does Paul.
    Brandon has been more aggressive in the second unit though, then Paul had been.

    Maybe we could move Dahntay to the first unit (or Dun) and move Paul back.

  25. #22
    #RiseOfTheKing imbtyler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Nashville, IN
    Posts
    1,631
    Mood

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    I think what's most important is that we utilize Paul primarily at the backup SF spot instead of the SG. The kid is 6'8", he needs to be playing the 3 and defending other small forwards.
    witters: @imbtyler, @postgameonline

    Quote Originally Posted by Day-V View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In conclusion, Paul George is awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slick Pinkham View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Our arena, their arena, Rucker park, it just doesn't matter. We're bigger, longer, younger, faster, and hungrier.



  26. #23
    Member ksuttonjr76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Marion, IA
    Posts
    3,390

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    I've been saying this for about 2 weeks now. The starting SG position is a complex position for us. It really doesn't matter who's starting, we rarely get consistent production from the position. Honestly, Dunleavy provided excellent off-ball movement for Hibbert. If you think about it, most of Hibbert's assists came from Dunleavy cutting towards the basket. As much as we hate to admit it, Dunleavy is actually the BEST finisher at the basket when he's cutting. Yes, Dunleavy has HORRIBLE one-on-one defense, but I believe he's first or second in taking charges on the team.

    We NEED Paul George to score, and he was the most effective when he was coming off the bench. Rush is the most effective coming off the bench too. I believe these two alone can carry the second unit as long Josh McRoberts is out there with them. McRoberts is starting to look like he has the best court awareness on the team, and he's comfortable (as of late) at bringing the ball upcourt. I can't tell you how many times thought that Josh McRoberts is basically a small forward in a power forward's body.

    On the bad side, that makes D. Jones the odd man out, but I REALLY like his "hate to lose" attitude he brings to the second unit.

  27. #24
    Grumpy Old Man (PD host) able's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    London UK
    Posts
    8,699

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    If anyone who has seen Rush play the last few weeks coming of the bench, and his increased scoring/going to the basket/moving like fire and has seen PG's role diminish into a Rush role with the starters, has at this point in time not figured out that such is not inconsistency but part and parcel of the role in the starting line-up then I wonder what you have been looking at.

    I will maintain that the best starting 5 are with Rush and McRoberts in there, they are at this moment in time simply better then PG and Tyler.

    Specially on the defensive end, but they are also a sure threat and KNOW how to get the ball to Roy (which is important for a plentitude of reasons).

    Tyler losing himself on defense calls for irritation, calls for upset people, calls for distracted people, lapsing in defense and on offense and a halting team.

    Rush is by so many of you, even more then Jmac, so underrated it aint funny anymore, the guy can flat out play but it is NOT his role!, he sticks to what he is told to do, like a good soldier.

    Same goes for Josh, there's a reason these guys are closing out the winning games.
    So Long And Thanks For All The Fish.

    If you've done 6 impossible things today?
    Then why not have Breakfast at Milliways!


  28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to able For This Useful Post:


  29. #25
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Age
    33
    Posts
    28,142

    Default Re: Your Opinions (and mine) on Utilizing Paul George

    If anyone who has seen Rush play the last few weeks coming of the bench, and his increased scoring/going to the basket/moving like fire and has seen PG's role diminish into a Rush role with the starters, has at this point in time not figured out that such is not inconsistency but part and parcel of the role in the starting line-up then I wonder what you have been looking at.
    I've been saying this forever, I don't know what people expect from the 5th option in the starting unit? The Pacers scored 107 points last night, how many more points some people want to win by so PG can score more?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •