Thread: Will Knicks offer a star for Dwight Howard?

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Will Knicks offer a star for Dwight Howard?

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/spo...comment-page-1

It wouldn’t be shocking at all if the New York Knicks — the Magic’s opponent tonight — make a play for Dwight Howard next season, perhaps offering either Amare Stoudemire or Carmelo Anthony at trade deadline for the all-star center.
    Howard can become a free agent after next season, and the Magic will be nervously waiting for the NBA’s most dominant big man to make a decision.

If they don’t want to wait and risk losing him without compensation, the Magic could listen to trade offers for Howard next season. It’s when they have some leverage.

Teams in the NBA will be falling all over themselves in attempts to pry Howard away from Orlando — at the trade deadline and, obviously. next summer if, or when, he’s free.

The Knicks are desperate for a center. You don’t think they’d part with either Anthony or Stoudemire for Howard? Stoudemire has had to play the role of the Knicks’ big man this season, and it has worn him down.

“What I see is I still got to get players to put around him to help him,” Knicks GM Donnie Walsh said of Stoudemire, according to the New York Post.

“He can do what he can do great, but we’ve asked him to do what’s beyond him. I know what I have to add to this team. We need bigger people on the team. We need more of them.”

Of course, the last thing the Magic want to do is move Howard, period, and especially to any team in their conference.

You don’t get anything close to equal value in return — and never a superstar. Except that the Knicks have two (so-called) stars to offer.

The Denver Nuggets received some talented role players from New York in the deal for Anthony. Surprisingly, it is the Nuggets who have prospered while the Knicks have struggled mightily pairing ‘Melo with Stoudemire.

Complicating any deal for a pending free agent — as we saw with the Knicks-Nuggets ‘Melo drama — is whether he would re-sign with the team that acquires him.

Anthony was eager to go to New York and sign a $65-million extension. The New Jersey Nets traded for Utah point guard Deron Williams, however, taking the risk that he will re-sign when he becomes a free agent. Williams remains non-committal to the Nets.

There are so many variables at work next season, making any scenario involving Howard’s future impossible to predict. A lock-out is brewing this summer, plus Howard has said publicly that he hopes to stay in Orlando, presumably if the Magic can find more help to deliver him a ring.

The Magic, in a move to keep Howard in town, will likely try to acquire a star to play with him.

Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Default Re: Will Knicks offer a star for Dwight Howard?

Mostly a lateral move....
    If I'm Orlando & I HAVE to move D.Howard, he is going out west! Bynum would be the piece that makes sense for both if it gets to that.
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Melo, Billups, Fields and picks in a three way for DH and CP3! The biggest blockbuster ever!

Would make a lot of sense to trade Amare for Dwight tbh. Although I'm sure Melo would have much higher value, given age and injuries.

I hope Howard decides to stay. I will be rooting for Orlando to do well this postseason. I don't want to see another big name leave!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rock747 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PacerGuy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Mostly a lateral move....
    If I'm Orlando & I HAVE to move D.Howard, he is going out west! Bynum would be the piece that makes sense for both if it gets to that.
    Agreed, Magic wouldn't trade him East, unless they have no other choice.
    Dwight is no lateral move though. He's at another level.

Is there anyone who wouldn't trade either Stoudamire or Anthony for Howard?
    "A man with no belly has no appetite for life."

- Salman Rushdie

8. The Following User Says Thank You to OakMoses For This Useful Post:

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

I will puke if he goes to the Lakers. I actually liked Shaq when he was in Orlando then he got traded to the Lakers and I couldn't have been more disappointed in him. I understand why he would want to but still disappointed. For ****s sake when will teams stop bending over and taking it to make teams like Boston or Lakers great for the next umpteen years? I really think there are teams in this league with owners who have absolutely no incentive to compete ever and should be contracted, I know this is nothing new and nothing I have just concluded but something that has bothered me for a while. I'm not sure what you can do to fix something like that but I hate the fact that teams like the Pacers have to draft incredibly well to succeed while teams like New York can throw all their picks for a couple of years for Eddy Curry to Chicago and instead of them suffering for the next eons like we likely would have they're rewarded with Melo and Amare. Granted it's not working out to well for them now but they'll be better off in the long run. I really hope the CBA allows for some parity in the league just level the playing field it sucks knowing the cards are stacked against you.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to TheDon For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo

I hate that the NBA has come to this and if anything close to this happens...this just gives me reason # 11480941089240198401 to hate the Knicks.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

The Doctor's In The House TheDon's Avatar

It has gotten to a point for me that I seriously have to consider whether or not I want to continue watching the nba in general. It all really depends on what happens with the CBA and what the pacers can can do to be competitive.