Thread: NBA tells teams to pay ticket refunds plus interest in labor work stoppage

Default NBA tells teams to pay ticket refunds plus interest in labor work stoppage

Well its the least they could do

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-stoppage.html

NBA Tells Teams to Pay Ticket Refunds Plus Interest in Labor Work Stoppage
    By Mason Levinson - Mar 28, 2011 10:30 AM ET
    inShare.6More
    Business ExchangeBuzz up!DiggPrint Email .National Basketball Association season-ticket holders will receive refunds plus interest if games are canceled because of a labor dispute next season, in contrast to the National Football League, which has said it’s up to clubs to decide how to handle deposits.

While both leagues have told fans that they’ll get their money back for tickets to lost games, the NBA will also pay interest on what could amount to loans to franchises from fans, Mike Bass, a spokesman for the NBA, said in a telephone interview. The NFL is letting its clubs set their own policies. At least one team, the Chicago Bears, is not offering interest.

Whether interest payments are addressed at the league or team level should be of less concern than how fans are treated overall, said David Carter, executive director of the Sports Business Institute at the University of Southern California.

“Individual fans will be made more than whole by the teams, directly or indirectly, or these franchises will face an extraordinary community relations backlash,” Carter said in a telephone interview.

The NFL shut down on March 12 following the expiration of its collective bargaining agreement with players, putting the 2011 season in jeopardy. The NBA’s agreement with its players’ union expires June 30.

The interest rate on NBA tickets will be set by the league before games are potentially canceled. The league hasn’t determined when interest will begin to accrue.

Team Options
    Teams can also offer their own options, such as leaving deposits on account in exchange for future tickets.

The Golden State Warriors are guaranteeing a 5 percent interest payment on season-ticket renewals for 2011-2012 received by April 13.

The Miami Heat offered season-ticket holders an option to receive discounted 2011 playoff tickets and a 5 percent payment in exchange for keeping renewal deposits in a Heat account rather than seeking a refund should there be a work stoppage. A six-month certificate of deposit offers about a 1 percent return, according to bankrate.com.

The Heat last week said it had sold all its season tickets and that 97 percent of those renewing chose the team option over what the league will offer, said Kim Stone, an executive vice president for the team.

The NBA’s decision to at least guarantee interest payments is “just good business practice,” Stone said in a telephone interview.

“We are a fan-friendly league and what the NBA was trying to do was develop a fan-friendly policy in the event of a work stoppage,” Stone said.

NFL Policy
    While the NFL mandated a leaguewide refund policy, “the clubs wanted to be responsible for the execution,” Brian McCarthy, a spokesman for the league, said in an e-mail.

Jim Christman, a spokesman for the Bears, confirmed the team’s plans in an e-mail while declining to comment further.

“When you think about the amount of money involved in giving interest over what is hoped to be a short period of time, they would lose so many more millions of dollars in bad publicity if they didn’t take care of those fans,” USC’s Carter said.

The NBA also offered refunds with interest during the 204- day lockout that ended in January 1999. That season was shortened to 50 games from 82, the only time games were missed because of a work stoppage in league history.

woman without a team

Default Re: NBA tells teams to pay ticket refunds plus interest in labor work stoppage

I remember the refunds before, but I don't remember it came with interest.

Default Re: NBA tells teams to pay ticket refunds plus interest in labor work stoppage

That's Stern's way of trying to avoid a lockout. Good move, actually.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sookie For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I'm not sure what I will do if the NBA and NFL both have lockouts.

Sports Logo Sports Logo

I have to have my NBA. I mean, I love my college ball don't get me wrong, but I must have my NBA.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Constellations For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Or we can just not have a lockout and the clubs can keep the money and I get to use my tickets. :P

9. The Following User Says Thank You to duke dynamite For This Useful Post:

Indy's Wild Wild West Side: 8 sec-check...Club Rio-check...Cloud 9-check

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Really, this isn't news. In my renewal pack that I got back in January, it was clearly stated that if there was a lockout we'd receive a refund plus interest "determined by the NBA".
    ...Still "flying casual"
    @roaminggnome74

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Roaming Gnome For This Useful Post:

woman without a team

Quote Originally Posted by duke dynamite View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Or we can just not have a lockout and the clubs can keep the money and I get to use my tickets. :P
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but Chris Mannix said on The Dan Patrick Show today that he's heard the lockout could last the whole season.

NaptownSeth is all feel Naptown_Seth's Avatar

Wow, so the money I put toward season tickets will actually increase in value rather than instantly losing 50%-75% based on market value.

LOCKOUT LOCKOUT LOCKOUT

Quote Originally Posted by grace View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Not to burst your bubble or anything but Chris Mannix said on The Dan Patrick Show today that he's heard the lockout could last the whole season.
    I'm sorry but you are the biggest Debby Downer on this whole board!

Are you even a Bucks fan because you know more about the Pacers than the team it seems.

Quite frankly, I don't think a Pacers fans website appreciates some of the negative comments about their team from you.

I heard from NO ONE that this could last the whole season and no one seems to be concerned that it will.

I guess same can be said about the NFL season.
    Last edited by Scot Pollard; 03-29-2011 at 08:58 PM.
    In 49 states it's just basketball, but this is Indiana!