Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 43

Thread: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

  1. #1
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    In the playoffs, you need a superstar. In the past 30 years only one team has won a title without a true superstar, and that Detroit club in 2004 had four All-Stars.
    Chris Broussard, ESPN The Magazine

    I think we would all agree we currently have no superstar. Little chance to draft one , and next years FA class doesnt have one
    Sittin on top of the world!

  2. #2
    Call me Kauffie Kaufman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    no superstar but a few potential allstars. well. maybe one.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    In todays NBA yes you do. Thats what we lack.

  4. #4
    Chairman of the Boards 90'sNBARocked's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Chicago, but Brooklyn/Naptown Raised!!
    Posts
    7,614

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    I agree which scares me into thinking we will have mediocrity at best for who knows how long
    Sittin on top of the world!

  5. #5
    Call me Kauffie Kaufman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    New Haven, Connecticut
    Posts
    3,453

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    depends on next coach and pg to a large degree, and if next coach can juice something out of 55.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:


  7. #6
    Member CableKC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    San Jose, CA ( 1123, 6536, 5321 )
    Age
    41
    Posts
    24,818

    Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    It depends on how one reads his message.

    Were Rip/BigBen/Sheed/Tayshaun All-Stars when they won their title?

    I didn't think they were considered true-All Stars until after they won their title.
    Ash from Army of Darkness: Good...Bad...I'm the guy with the gun.

    This is David West, he is the Honey Badger, West just doesn't give a *****....he's pretty bad *ss cuz he has no regard for any other Player or Team whatsoever.

  8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to CableKC For This Useful Post:


  9. #7
    Jimmy did what Jimmy did Bball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    20,268

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    I think the Detroit players were individually underrated because they bought into the idea of the team being stronger than any one individual....

    ...But what do I know...
    Nuntius was right. I was wrong. Frank Vogel has retained his job.

    ------

    "A player who makes a team great is more valuable than a great player. Losing yourself in the group, for the good of the group, thatís teamwork."

    -John Wooden

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bball For This Useful Post:


  11. #8

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    I agree with Broussard, but I also agree that it's experience and determination that ultimately wins. The Pacers are lacking in experience and I'm not quite sure how determined they are to win. I'd say certain players are, but not everyone brings their "A-game" each game and gives it their all for 48 mins flat.

    Sometimes, the will to win exceeds the lack of experience. If you doubt me, consider how the Kings, Grizzlies, T-Wolves, Raptors, and Pistons have all beaten the Pacers recently.

  12. #9
    Member Sollozzo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    17,045

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Yes, I think this is beyond proven.

  13. #10

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    in the nba, it's better to be bad than good. one of the few ways to gain that superstar.

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to croz24 For This Useful Post:


  15. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Indy
    Posts
    8,148

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    no superstar but a few potential allstars. well. maybe one.
    That is my thoughts. I would only consider one of them to really be an all-star. The rest may have been close, but not all-stars. They just fit together perfectly.

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It depends on how one reads his message.

    Were Rip/BigBen/Sheed/Tayshaun All-Stars when they won their title?

    I didn't think they were considered true-All Stars until after they won their title.
    I think there is a direct connection between them winning and them being considered all-stars.

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In todays NBA yes you do. Thats what we lack.
    BS, the 2004 NBA is no different than 2011 NBA. Just compare today's Celtics with the Pacers of 2004. They are very similar in talent. Really with the exception of Shaq every team that has won a championship has won because they had complete teams with pieces that fit.

    If you want to look at all of the teams that have won a championship, in today's NBA, there are two common themes: they did not lack experience and the won as a team. What does this Pacer team lack the most? Experience and playing together as a team.

  16. #12

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Quote Originally Posted by pacer4ever View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In todays NBA yes you do. Thats what we lack.
    By today, surely you mean "the modern area". 30 years of proof is far beyond the "today's NBA" tag.

    Plus, what about all those title the Celtics won in the 50's-60's? Even in the early days, you needed the superstar.

    But here's another question: which came first, the superstar or the title? Would Tim Duncan be a superstar if he never made the playoffs with his career stats? Would Reggie be a first ballot Hall of Famer if the Pacers won in LA, instead of left off the ballot entirely? What about the fortunes of Tracy McGrady and Vince Carter vs. Isiah Thomas and Paul Pierce?
    Last edited by FlavaDave; 03-28-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: grammar

  17. #13
    Member MTM's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Brentwood, TN
    Posts
    694

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Heck at this point I'd be happy with a 45-win team for 2 or 3 years consistently and then we can talk about what is missing for a championship. We are many many steps away from talking about winning in the playoffs. We just need to make the playoffs and do it consistently as a winning team. You don't need superstars to do that.

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MTM For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,200

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It depends on how one reads his message.

    Were Rip/BigBen/Sheed/Tayshaun All-Stars when they won their title?

    I didn't think they were considered true-All Stars until after they won their title.
    In 2004 and 2005, the 2 years the Pistons made the Finals, Ben Wallace was their only All-Star. Rip and Billups made the team next 3 years, Sheed made it in 2006 and 2008.

    It's also why, no matter what their record is now, the Melo trade is a good trade for the Knicks. And why, IMO, the Nuggets won't do much more in the playoffs than win a couple games.

  20. #15
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,782

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Quote Originally Posted by croz24 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    in the nba, it's better to be bad than good. one of the few ways to gain that superstar.
    Actually, I'd adjust that statement to: It's better to be bad than mediocre. If you're good, players will want to play there. If you're bad, you have a better shot at nabbing a good player through the draft. Mediocrity is self-sustaining.

  21. #16
    Formerly QuickRelease NapTonius Monk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,782

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Quote Originally Posted by shags View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In 2004 and 2005, the 2 years the Pistons made the Finals, Ben Wallace was their only All-Star. Rip and Billups made the team next 3 years, Sheed made it in 2006 and 2008.

    It's also why, no matter what their record is now, the Melo trade is a good trade for the Knicks. And why, IMO, the Nuggets won't do much more in the playoffs than win a couple games.
    It seems that every so often, the NBA rewards specialty players. Dale Davis made it. Rodman made it. Ben Wallace made it. Of those Pistons teams, I'd say Rip and Sheed were legit all stars. Actually, rethinking that, Rodman was closer to an all star, but still.

  22. #17
    Over the pond ballism's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Baltics (Europe)
    Posts
    2,427

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    it's two ways really. Big stars help you win. And if you win, some of your people become bigger stars. If Reggie was ever a superstar (definition?), it wasn't untill the playoff wins and the choke sign. Was Wade a superstar before the Dallas series?

    So yeah, you don't really need a superstar to win. You just need huge talent. But by the time you are done winning, your talent will probably be a superstar.

  23. #18
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    South Side
    Posts
    4,200

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Quote Originally Posted by QuickRelease View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It seems that every so often, the NBA rewards specialty players. Dale Davis made it. Rodman made it. Ben Wallace made it. Of those Pistons teams, I'd say Rip and Sheed were legit all stars. Actually, rethinking that, Rodman was closer to an all star, but still.
    Ben Wallace was the best defensive player of the last decade. He was a superstar on that end of the floor. Is a great offensive player who can't guard anyone, like Steve Nash, a specialty player? I disagree that Ben Wallace wasn't a legit all star in his prime with the Pistons.

  24. #19
    Gotta Play Big BlueNGold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Indianapolis
    Posts
    15,433

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    The Pistons were an extremely well put together team. No, they did not have a superstar in terms of top 5 player in the league. Yes, they were the exception.

    So, yes, I think the vast majority of championships will be won by superstar players...because when the game is on the line they can deliver. The Pacers in the finals was a great example. We had an extremely well put together team...but Kobe and Shaq were too much.

  25. #20
    Member skyfire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,559

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    The Celtics didn't have a super star when they won it all. They might have had 4 players inside the top 20 players in the league though. They did have fantastic defense, a PG who could create shots for others and two clutch scorers.

  26. #21
    Member Trophy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Posts
    8,556

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    You don't necessarily need a superstar.

    It does help to have mulitple All-Star caliber players on your team who all don't need to have the ball in their hands to make things happen.

  27. #22

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Pacers shouldn't even be thinking about winning a championship. Focus on building a solid franchise through gradual improvement. Can't run before you can walk.

  28. The Following User Says Thank You to King Tuts Tomb For This Useful Post:


  29. #23
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Quote Originally Posted by skyfire View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The Celtics didn't have a super star when they won it all. They might have had 4 players inside the top 20 players in the league though. They did have fantastic defense, a PG who could create shots for others and two clutch scorers.
    KG was a superstar and Rondo is becoming one.(he could of been a Pacer)

  30. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    In a Gym
    Age
    21
    Posts
    16,859
    Mood

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    Quote Originally Posted by CableKC View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It depends on how one reads his message.

    Were Rip/BigBen/Sheed/Tayshaun All-Stars when they won their title?

    I didn't think they were considered true-All Stars until after they won their title.
    You are leaving off there best play Billups

  31. #25
    Twitter: @SuprCityIndyFan PacerGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Indy's North Side
    Posts
    1,540

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: Do you agree with this statement by Chris Broussard?

    I will agrue we did not have a "Superstar" when we went to the Championship vs. LA. (R.Miller was a star player, not a superstar).
    We would have been much like that Detriot team, though our other 3 were near-all-start (D.Davis/Smits/Jackson).
    "Larry Bird: You are Officially On the Clock! (3/24/08)"
    (Watching You Like A Hawk!)

Similar Threads

  1. Chris Paul demands trade
    By Basketball Fan in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-22-2010, 12:10 AM
  2. NFL, ex-Pats video assistant Walsh finally agree to Spygate meeting
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-02-2008, 07:52 PM
  3. Sources: Cowboys agree on deal to acquire Pacman from Titans
    By Lord Helmet in forum Indianapolis Colts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM
  4. I hate to bring this up, but do you agree with Reggie
    By Unclebuck in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 02-13-2005, 02:15 PM
  5. Is this what we can all agree on?
    By ChicagoJ in forum Indiana Pacers
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 04:25 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •