Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What exactly is our problem?

Default Re: What exactly is our problem?

The problem is fairly simple - right now we only have one player on our roster who would stand any kind of a remote chance at starting on a championship caliber team.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Quote Originally Posted by jcouts View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The problem is fairly simple - right now we only have one player on our roster who would stand any kind of a remote chance at starting on a championship caliber team.
    This is another variant of what I was referring to with my 'championship calibre' thread, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    This is another variant of what I was referring to with my 'championship calibre' thread, by the way.
    I hadn't read any of that thread...searched a page back in the forum and glanced through it just now.

If you're asking me to clarify what I mean of that player type in this context, my reference point was that there's only one player on our team that I think you could have plugged into the starting lineup on one of the NBA finals teams in the last 10-15 years and not had a major loss in productivity and loss of positive impact on the game...and I'm stretching by even including the 1 (Danny) into that mix since he routinely forgets what defense is, which is key in the NBA finals.

In my opinion, 1-5, we're very weak in comparison to the title contending teams of the last 10 years. 4 out of our 5 starters right now would probably be backups or 6th men on most of the title contending teams of the last ten years.
    Sometimes a player's greatest challenge is coming to grips with his role on the team. -- Scottie Pippen

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I hadn't read any of that thread...searched a page back in the forum and glanced through it just now.

If you're asking me to clarify what I mean of that player type in this context, my reference point was that there's only one player on our team that I think you could have plugged into the starting lineup on one of the NBA finals teams in the last 10-15 years and not had a major loss in productivity and loss of positive impact on the game...and I'm stretching by even including the 1 (Danny) into that mix since he routinely forgets what defense is, which is key in the NBA finals.

In my opinion, 1-5, we're very weak in comparison to the title contending teams of the last 10 years. 4 out of our 5 starters right now would probably be backups or 6th men on most of the title contending teams of the last ten years.
    The reason for that is because 4 out of our 5 starters right now are in their third year or less.

Our guards have been complete garbage both offensively and especially defensively.

1. Lots of young players
    2. No leader for the young players
    3. Poor defense
    4. Stagnant offense

*points 3 and 4 are a direct result of points 1 and 2.*

Quote Originally Posted by Eleazar View Post
    The reason for that is because 4 out of our 5 starters right now are in their third year or less.
    I just don't believe, based on what I've seen, that four, five or even ten years of experience will solve some of the limitations, both physical and mental, that some of our starters have, in particular Roy and Darren. I like them both, but physically, both of them have what I consider to be limitations that aren't going away, regardless of how much gym time they put in and how many years of experience they have. I have questions about Paul's motor and his desire to overachieve. No one is getting to the NBA finals, or even possibly to the conference finals, unless the vast majority of the team overachieves...starters are a given.

Or, to phrase it another way -
    I don't believe that if we kept this starting lineup together for 5 more years that the results would be improved enough to carry us deep into the playoffs.

I'll be overjoyed as a fan if they prove me wrong.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I just don't believe, based on what I've seen, that four, five or even ten years of experience will solve some of the limitations, both physical and mental, that some of our starters have, in particular Roy and Darren. I like them both, but physically, both of them have what I consider to be limitations that aren't going away, regardless of how much gym time they put in and how many years of experience they have. I have questions about Paul's motor and his desire to overachieve. No one is getting to the NBA finals, or even possibly to the conference finals, unless the vast majority of the team overachieves...starters are a given.

Or, to phrase it another way -
    I don't believe that if we kept this starting lineup together for 5 more years that the results would be improved enough to carry us deep into the playoffs.

I'll be overjoyed as a fan if they prove me wrong.
    One it is impossible to overachieve, you can exceed expectations, but overachieving is a myth. You achieve what you are capable of achieving. There is no over or under achieving.

As a group I question if they are best for each other. Individually, as long as they keep improving they all will be capable of starting on a championship team. You don't have to be an all-star to start on a championship team, you just have to be good.