Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

  1. #1
    How are you here? Kegboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Northside Bias
    Posts
    12,962

    Default JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Wow. Well, this is certainly gonna help the argument that JO should be playing C in name as well as function.

    http://www.nba.com/pacers/news/camp_notes_041004.html

    ...
    ...
    Carlisle Impressed By Offseason Results

    Several players reported on Monday looking substantially different than last season.
    O’Neal weighed in at 260, nearly 20 pounds above last season’s playing weight, the result of heavy lifting throughout the summer. Jonathan Bender reported at a career-high 236. Jamaal Tinsley dropped to 185. Scot Pollard has dropped weight, while Austin Croshere has bulked up.

    “Jermaine has gotten stronger. You’re going to notice a difference,” Coach Rick Carlisle said. “Scot Pollard has trimmed down, Croshere has had a great summer of building strength and endurance. Tinsley’s in the mid-180s. These guys haven’t taken the summer off. They’ve worked and it’s been productive and all those things are important headed into camp.”

    O’Neal, who suffered a hyperextended left knee during the Eastern Conference Finals, wasn’t cleared to play basketball until Aug. 1. Shortly thereafter, he suffered a foot injury working out in California with Croshere and Reggie Miller. But he is fully healed from both maladies and expects to be on the floor for the first practice of camp Tuesday morning.
    Come to the Dark Side -- There's cookies!

  2. #2
    sweabs
    Guest

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    This just goes to show you how dedicated JO is.

    He gets MVP consideration last year...and what does he do? Spends the summer training hard to improve - even when he is nursing an injury. I'm sure some of this work ethic he has displayed has rubbed off on Bender. But I thought Bender was 240??? -

    JO is determined...watch out.

  3. #3
    Fear my small avatar Gyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    6,366

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    By the time the season starts Bender will be 380 and 40 ft tall the way the rports keep coming in.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    I say this every time I see that JO's weight has gone up.

    I just hope he doesn't lose his quickness, athleticism & explosiveness - those are what make him special.

    He hasn't so far so maybe it isn't a concern.

    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  5. #5
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say this every time I see that JO's weight has gone up.

    I just hope he doesn't lose his quickness, athleticism & explosiveness - those are what make him special.

    He hasn't so far so maybe it isn't a concern.
    I was thinking the exact same thing, Rimfire.

    JO isnt a power player. He never should try to be. He's a player that succeeds on quickness. Some players (Kobe, Baron) have bulked up, only to lose their quickness, and slim back down the following season.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  6. #6
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Reggie did that once, too. Remember the mid-90's vintage Reggie with biceps?

    Didn't I see that JO and Bender were both adding lower body bulk - that should not hinder thier quickness, but at worst be neutral to thier quickness while helping thier leverage (center of mass) (if not potentially enhancing thier explosiveness).

    Kstat, Rimfire,

    I think you guys, as non-Pacers fans, are just afraid of how dominant JO could be if his power game was equivalent to his speed game.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  7. #7
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie did that once, too. Remember the mid-90's vintage Reggie with biceps?

    Didn't I see that JO and Bender were both adding lower body bulk - that should not hinder thier quickness, but at worst be neutral to thier quickness while helping thier leverage (center of mass) (if not potentially enhancing thier explosiveness).

    Kstat, Rimfire,

    I think you guys, as non-Pacers fans, are just afraid of how dominant JO could be if his power game was equivalent to his speed game.

    problem is, Jay, you can't have both. Even Jordan slowed down a bit when he started bulking up.

    The only big men in NBA HISTORY that I can recall having a great amount of both speed and power, were Olajuwon, Malone and Chamberlain. Thats it.
    [edit=64=1097007144][/edit]

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  8. #8

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    I hope this means that JO is going back to the low block instead of floating around the elbows.

    It will be interesting to see how the weight affects his game because I thought the Pacers were going to run and gun more this year?

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Frankfort, IN
    Posts
    9,136

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by PacerMan
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by DisplacedKnick
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I say this every time I see that JO's weight has gone up.

    I just hope he doesn't lose his quickness, athleticism & explosiveness - those are what make him special.

    He hasn't so far so maybe it isn't a concern.
    Short of being a pro body builder type, extra strength enhances quickness and explosiveness (particularly).
    Sure it does - and extra weight decreases it. There's a point of diminishing returns. Believe me - I know. In HS I played basketball and wrestled. Wrestling's all about lower body strength - but I wasn't as quick (and anyone not in the heavyweight class tried to keep their weight down while they did it).

    I don't know that JO has reached that point of diminishing returns. Some people add the strength and it's exactly as you say. Some add strength and lose some of their quickness and athleticism. I just worry if JO will one day reach the second stage.
    The poster formerly known as Rimfire

  10. #10
    Expect Delays blanket's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,810

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    He's a player that succeeds on quickness. Some players (Kobe, Baron) have bulked up, only to lose their quickness, and slim back down the following season.
    http://www.dailynews.com/Stories/0,1...446585,00.html

    According to this article, Kobe has bulked up yet again this season to 230 pounds. I guess it's working for him.
    "I'll always be a part of Donnie Walsh."
    -Ron Artest, Denver Post, 12.28.05

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lifelong Indy-area resident
    Age
    62
    Posts
    4,657

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Reggie did that once, too. Remember the mid-90's vintage Reggie with biceps?

    Didn't I see that JO and Bender were both adding lower body bulk - that should not hinder thier quickness, but at worst be neutral to thier quickness while helping thier leverage (center of mass) (if not potentially enhancing thier explosiveness).

    Kstat, Rimfire,

    I think you guys, as non-Pacers fans, are just afraid of how dominant JO could be if his power game was equivalent to his speed game.

    problem is, Jay, you can't have both. Even Jordan slowed down a bit when he started bulking up.

    The only big men in NBA HISTORY that I can recall having a great amount of both speed and power, were Olajuwon, Malone and Chamberlain. Thats it.
    And McGinnis.

    But I agree with both you and Rim.

    It's not often that you see an athlete of any size add 20 pounds in a relatively short period of time and not lose some quickness, especially laterally.

  12. #12
    flexible and robust SoupIsGood's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lappy Go Hucky
    Age
    26
    Posts
    17,540

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Even if JO has lost a little quickness, is it really going to be enough to matter all that much?
    You, Never? Did the Kenosha Kid?

  13. #13
    .
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    52,583

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    I believe this weight gain is going to be more of a bonus than not.
    [edit=12=1097017009][/edit]

  14. #14
    Burt_Reincarnated
    Guest

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Does anyone else think JO gained 15lbs because he was sittin with a bum knee most the summer? That's not a good thing

  15. #15
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Since JO hasn't been on the court much this summer, and he has some extra muscle mass to deal with:

    Expect him to be slow out of the gate this season while he gets his timing back.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  16. #16
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,630

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Perhaps this deserves it's own thread, but...

    ...does this mean JO should start at center and Bender should start at PF?

    Let the revolution begin!!!
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  17. #17

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    I think with JO's added weigt raises the question, can he play center?

  18. #18
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by rommie
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think with JO's added weigt raises the question, can he play center?
    Of course he can. JO effectively played most of his minutes at C last season while Foster and Al split the PF minutes. He was third in the MVP voting, so I think he's pretty effective at the "5" spot. He's a PF in name only, primarily because Ben's on the all-star ballot at C.
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  19. #19
    Rebound King Kstat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Age
    32
    Posts
    28,073

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    I think the future of the Pacers will be Bender at PF and JO at C.

    I just don't think that year is 2005. I still dont think either player is ready for full-time duty at that position, bender ESPECIALLY.

    next year though, I'd look closely at it.

    It wasn't about being the team everyone loved, it was about beating the teams everyone else loved.

    Division Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 1989, 1990, 2002, 2003, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
    Conference Champions 1955, 1956, 1988, 2005
    NBA Champions 1989, 1990, 2004

  20. #20
    Member SycamoreKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,468

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Duncan plays at 260 and moves pretty well, so I think JO can handle it.

  21. #21
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Kstat
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the future of the Pacers will be Bender at PF and JO at C.

    I just don't think that year is 2005. I still dont think either player is ready for full-time duty at that position, bender ESPECIALLY.

    next year though, I'd look closely at it.
    Even if Bender's really good, I don't think anyone's saying Foster's starting job is in danger just yet.

    Foster, though, is ideal as a 3rd player in a power rotation, not a second player.

    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  22. #22
    Administrator/ The Real Jay ChicagoJ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chicago
    Age
    44
    Posts
    17,000

    Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps this deserves it's own thread, but...

    ...does this mean JO should start at center and Bender should start at PF?

    Let the revolution begin!!!

    I ran that thread last week, before we knew JO was up to 260. Its been pushed to page #2.

    Here's the link:

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/cgi-bin/...d=1;gtid=95416
    Why do the things that we treasure most, slip away in time
    Till to the music we grow deaf, to God's beauty blind
    Why do the things that connect us slowly pull us apart?
    Till we fall away in our own darkness, a stranger to our own hearts
    And life itself, rushing over me
    Life itself, the wind in black elms,
    Life itself in your heart and in your eyes, I can't make it without you


  23. #23
    White and Nerdy Anthem's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    23,738

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by SycamoreKen
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Duncan plays at 260 and moves pretty well, so I think JO can handle it.
    You know, it's funny. Duncan seems broader in my mind than JO. I can't imagine JO at 260.
    Welcome to Pacers Digest! New around here? Here are three tips for making the forum a great place to talk about Pacers basketball.

    • Log in. Even if you want to read instead of post, it's helpful because it lets you:
    • Change your signature options. You can hide all signatures by choosing "Settings" (top right) then "General Settings" (middle left) and unchecking the box "Show Signatures" (in the "Thread Display Options" area).
    • Create an ignore list. I know it may seem unneighborly. But you're here to talk about the Pacers, not argue with someone who's just looking for an argument. Most of the regular users on here make use (at least occasionally) of the "Ignore" feature. Just go to "Settings" -> "Edit Ignore List" and add the names.

    Enjoy your time at PD!

  24. #24
    Member Doug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    3,630

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Jay@Section204
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Perhaps this deserves it's own thread, but...

    ...does this mean JO should start at center and Bender should start at PF?

    Let the revolution begin!!!

    I ran that thread last week, before we knew JO was up to 260. Its been pushed to page #2.

    Here's the link:

    http://www.pacersdigest.com/cgi-bin/...d=1;gtid=95416
    I figured that'd been discussed, but didn't see it on the first page. My bad.
    You're caught up in the Internet / you think it's such a great asset / but you're wrong, wrong, wrong
    All that fiber optic gear / still cannot take away the fear / like an island song

    - Jimmy Buffett

  25. #25
    RA231
    Guest

    Default Re: JB - 236 lb.; JO - 260 lb!!!

    Bender at PF and JO at C might mean more minutes for Fred Jones at shooting gaurd becuase Jackson will back Artest at SF. I see JO at center, he didnt like playing it last year because he felt like he was getting a beating down low, with 20 extra pounds he'll be the one laying the beating.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •