Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: What REALISTIC PG Can The Pacers Get?

Default What REALISTIC PG Can The Pacers Get?

Collison and Price seem to be left wanting by many as the answer to the Pacers PG, so what PG can the Pacers "realistically" get? Realistic doesn't mean some improbable PG in the draft nor Westbrook, Rondo, Nash, etc, but a PG that is "obtainable" that can help this team go forth. Maybe there isn't one realistically obtainable. I'm not sure, but I'd like to hear your view under the premise I just stated.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Default Re: What REALISTIC PG Can The Pacers Get?

Great thread. Just wanted to say that because I think about this a lot. First on my list is:

Stephen Curry.

-It would take a load to get him, but he certainly isn't untouchable and the Warriors supposedly flirted with trading him. I actually think he'd be realistic as he has been shopped and with Ellis/Curry being a terrible defensive backcourt. He would be the perfect fit for us. Basically a poor man's Steve Nash. Man oh man could we use a Stephen Curry.

It would take a lot to get him, probably something along the lines of DC/Granger for Curry/Biedrins, but it's worth it. Curry/JRich or Crawford/George/Hansbrough/Hibbert is pretty solid if we have a nice bench.

If they were smart they'd keep Curry though.

Raymond Felton

-It probably wouldn't take too much to get him which is a great thing for us. Denver has a log jam and a two headed monster of Felton/DC is pretty intriguing. Felton plays great defense and he does everything DC does with a little less scoring, but better passing.

These are about the only guys available unless if you want to take a flyer on Aaron Brooks, Goran Dragic, Jonny Flynn, etc.. Which wouldn't be smart because they are just more of the same.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I still think Collison is our point guard of the future. I also like Price, but I think Collison would benefit from a really solid veteran presence behind him. If we could somehow acquire Andre Miller to split minutes with him for a year or two I think it would be immeasurably helpful for Collison.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to idioteque For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

I agree with BJB.

I'd love to bring in Steph Curry.

The Warriors had him available and they had a lot of interest in Danny.

I looked at comments from a Warriors forum and they said the only way they feel like they can get Danny is by giving us Curry.

I think a Danny and DC for Curry and Biedrins deal would be agreed between both teams.

Curry brings a lot of leadership at the point, he finds open players, and shoots the ball really well.

Acquire Mayo at the 2 and Curry at the point and I'm a happy camper.
    Last edited by Trophy; 03-27-2011 at 09:25 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Trophy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Great thread. Just wanted to say that because I think about this a lot. First on my list is:

Stephen Curry.

-It would take a load to get him, but he certainly isn't untouchable and the Warriors supposedly flirted with trading him. I actually think he'd be realistic as he has been shopped and with Ellis/Curry being a terrible defensive backcourt. He would be the perfect fit for us. Basically a poor man's Steve Nash. Man oh man could we use a Stephen Curry.

It would take a lot to get him, probably something along the lines of DC/Granger for Curry/Biedrins, but it's worth it. Curry/JRich or Crawford/George/Hansbrough/Hibbert is pretty solid if we have a nice bench.

If they were smart they'd keep Curry though.

Raymond Felton

-It probably wouldn't take too much to get him which is a great thing for us. Denver has a log jam and a two headed monster of Felton/DC is pretty intriguing. Felton plays great defense and he does everything DC does with a little less scoring, but better passing.

These are about the only guys available unless if you want to take a flyer on Aaron Brooks, Goran Dragic, Jonny Flynn, etc.. Which wouldn't be smart because they are just more of the same.
    I like the idea of going after Curry and then trying to sign JRich (not sure he'd want to come here so we'd probably have to over pay).

Felton isn't that much of an upgrade so I'll say pass on that.

Next year's draft could be really good, especially if some players decide to stay in this year's draft, like Sullinger. If we could move some pieces and get multiple picks for next year, that would be ideal as well.

I don't mean to say we need to abandon ship and blow up the team, but some of the pieces on our team just don't mesh well together. As someone else mentioned in another thread, in which they hit the nail on the head, Granger and Tyler both want to be first options while Hibbert and DC want to be 2nd options. Also, Tyler and Hibbert are just a terrible combo. Offensively, I think they are fine, but Tyler is showing himself to not be a competent defender and Hibbert isn't exactly great. I really think Bird will have to trade one or the other. Either that or bring Tyler off the bench, which I think he should. He'd be a scoring threat. I really like McRoberts in the starting lineup for his versatility and passing skills. Just wish McRoberts was a better defender.

Our lineups aren't working either. All our scorers are in the starting lineup and that means that PG is being the 5th option and under utilized. Either Tyler or PG need to go to the bench cause the second unit is absolutely atrocious. Defensively, they are serviceable to good (not great), but the main options are D Jones and Price to score...yuck!

At least we can count on Rush, cause he always starts playing basketball at the start of March madness, so at least we have that.

Whether we make the playoffs or not, it should be a pretty interesting off season.
    With the #3 pick in the 2015 draft, your Indiana Pacers!

He's going for three... mikeyism's Avatar

In the draft, there is a long shot that Kemba Walker or Fredette will be available at #15.

In a trade, not may PGs appear to be expendable AND a significant upgrade on what we have. Denver may make Felton or Ty Lawson expendable.

Way too early to give up on Collison IMHO. Gary Payton at age 23 was only getting 9 ppg and 6 asts per, and we see how that turned out.

I'm crossing my fingers a bit for Raymond Felton. I have no idea what DEN would want for him, though; I can only guess.

Mood

To be quite freaking honest,we don't need a PG.

Price is a very solid backup. He's in his 2nd year. He's got room to grow.

Collison could definitely start on a championship team. His defense,while not exactly brilliant,really isn't outshined by too many PGs. The position is weak on the defensive end,aside from Rondo and Devin Harris pretty much. Collison is also a very good PnR guy. He's in his 2nd year and he's had 4 head coaches. He will get better. It's the toughest position to learn on offense.

Overall we need to remember this is a young team making many youth mistakes. No need to press the panic button after every funk.

What we definitely need is a SG until Paul George is ready.
    Pacers,baby!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeliumFear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I still think Collison is our point guard of the future. I also like Price, but I think Collison would benefit from a really solid veteran presence behind him. If we could somehow acquire Andre Miller to split minutes with him for a year or two I think it would be immeasurably helpful for Collison.
    I just don't see how anyone can feel he's our point guard of the future before he shows more signs of actually playing like a point guard.

Hell, it was both encouraging and sad when I perked up a little bit last night after a certain play. What caused me to do so? I caught DC looking left on a fastbreak before his usual of only looking to the right. And I'm being serious.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hicks For This Useful Post:

Mood

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Quote Originally Posted by mikeyism View Post
    In the draft, there is a long shot that Kemba Walker or Fredette will be available at #15.

In a trade, not may PGs appear to be expendable AND a significant upgrade on what we have. Denver may make Felton or Ty Lawson expendable.

Way too early to give up on Collison IMHO. Gary Payton at age 23 was only getting 9 ppg and 6 asts per, and we see how that turned out.
    Payton had size was a great defender

16. The Following User Says Thank You to pacer4ever For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Hicks View Post
    I just don't see how anyone can feel he's our point guard of the future before he shows more signs of actually playing like a point guard.

Hell, it was both encouraging and sad when I perked up a little bit last night after a certain play. What caused me to do so? I caught DC looking left on a fastbreak before his usual of only looking to the right. And I'm being serious.
    I didn't want to admit it at first, but I see a lot of TJ Ford in him.

i still like DC as our point, but if we can upgrade to Curry then i will take it

19. The Following User Says Thank You to itzryan07 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by idioteque View Post
    I'm not sold on him being the PG of the future, but I do think having a good vet around that he can learn from might be a good idea.

crazy shinaniganz BringJackBack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sparhawk View Post
    Felton isn't that much of an upgrade so I'll say pass on that.
    I think Felton is an upgrade, albeit not a huge upgrade, and it's not that I want to see Felton traded for Collison and a piece. I want to see a point guard rotation of Felton/Collison with Felton around 28-30 minutes per game and DC getting the rest. A two headed monster. If Collison significantly improves over the next couple of years than we are stronger and we don't have to sink or swim with DC.

Have DC be a scorer off the bench, and have Felton play defense, distribute, and score when we need it.

I agree. I don't think that they are the answer, but they would be some great, great steals in the mid-first round.

Payton is the exception to the rule. TJ, Sessions, Brooks, etc. were all somewhat solid at 23 and they never turned out to be Gary Payton.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    I didn't want to admit it at first, but I see a lot of TJ Ford in him.
    Meh. I really don't. I don't ever see DC running around like a chicken with his head cut off, and he plays with more intensity. He is also much more interested in playing off of the post guys. He can also hit a layup and he makes Tyler look good on the PnP.

22. The Following User Says Thank You to BringJackBack For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BringJackBack View Post
    Meh. I really don't. I don't ever see DC running around like a chicken with his head cut off, and he plays with more intensity. He is also much more interested in playing off of the post guys. He can also hit a layup and he makes Tyler look good on the PnP.
    Really the only time I see him playing like Ford is when he settles for poor mid range shots that he's clearly not comfortable taking with someone right in front of him.

Outside of that, he's more of a PG than Ford.

I don't mind DC but I do think we should look for a better backup. I've never been a big believer in AJ Price. He's had his moments but he's struggled in some areas as well. His assist numbers aren't that good and I don't believe in his defense either. He still has plenty of room to grow and I wouldn't mind him as a 3rd string PG but I believe a better backup can be found elsewhere.

And I would trade anybody on this roster not named Paul George for Stephen Curry...

A Steph for Granger trade would honestly make BOTH teams alot better...
    Quote Originally Posted by naptownmenace View Post
    Plumlee reminds me of a young Dale Davis. Good rebounding and he contests shots well on defense and his offensive game is very raw just like DD's was coming out of college.
    "If my answers frighten you, then you should cease asking scary questions."

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Kemo For This Useful Post:

Kemo: that is actually an interesting concept. i don't think the warriors would do it though.
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    Kemo: that is actually an interesting concept. i don't think the warriors would do it though.
    The Warriors did have a lot of interest in Danny and had Curry available.

Their fans believe they can only get Danny if it means trading Curry based on what I read from a poster on a Warriors forum.

I still if we take Biedrins' contract too, they'd accept.

Quote Originally Posted by Trophy View Post
    The Warriors did have a lot of interest in Danny and had Curry available.

Their fans believe they can only get Danny if it means trading Curry based on what I read from a poster on a Warriors forum.

I still if we take Biedrins' contract too, they'd accept.
    how do you know for a fact that they had interest in him?
    "Sometimes, when you look Andy in the eyes, you get a feeling somebody else is driving." -- David Letterman

Quote Originally Posted by Kaufman View Post
    how do you know for a fact that they had interest in him?
    He was rumored to be on the Warriors radar.

It was discussed here too.

http://pacersdigest.com/showthread.p...light=warriors

speculation based on warriors and pacers boards in what if scenarios, in addition to an article written by a bay area writer in a what if scenario fashion --- i'm not sure if it fits up to the bill of "have a lot of interest in danny".

they might have, i just find your references to be speculative. if i were the warriors i wouldn't make the trade.

32. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaufman For This Useful Post:

Apparently the Warriors wanted to upgrade at SF not necessarily with Danny.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nba/stor...-small-forward

The Warriors would like to upgrade at small forward before the Feb. 24 trade deadline, and the Philadelphia 76ers’ Andre Iguodala, Chicago Bulls’ Luol Deng, Atlanta Hawks’ Josh Smith, Oklahoma City Thunder’s Jeff Green and Indiana Pacers’ Danny Granger all may be on their radar, The San Jose Mercury News reported.

"If (starting SF) Dorell Wright is coming off the bench, we're a really good team,” a team source told the paper. “That would solve two problems. It would give us the upgrade in talent, and it would bolster our bench significantly.”

The Warriors’ greater need is at center, but the belief within the organization is that an upgrade at small forward is much more realistic.

Additionally, while there’s been some buzz around the league that the Warriors may be willing to part with second-year PG Stephen Curry, a source said it “would take a monster offer to pry” Curry from the team.
    If that's the case, I guess they want a stronger bench with Wright being a back up.

I would love Kyle Lowry.
    "So, which one of you guys is going to come in second?" - Larry Bird before the 3 point contest. He won.

Banned

Does people here knows what realistic means? Scurry?

My list of REALISTIC options goes like this:

1)Raymond Felton: Denver already have their PG of the future in Lawson and is possible that they trade him for some pieces.

2)Mo Williams: He has 2 more years on his contract and maybe LAC wants to trade him for young pieces.

3)Rodney Stuckey: Restricted free agent

4)Hinrich: 2 years left in his contract.

5)Ramon Sessions: 3 years left on his contract and they already have BD for 3 more as the starter.

6)Jarrett Jack: Been there done that

7)Eric Maynor: don't know much about him but he is a young prospect.

8)Aaron Brooks: He scored close to 19ppg a year ago, he is pretty much a better version of DC.

9)George Hill: How much would SA ask for him?

10)Jose Calderon: almost double double for the year 9.9ppg and 8.9apg, Toronto want's to trade his contract and maybe he is cheap.

Note: this is just a list of possible available point guards and possible upgrades, this is also listed in no order.